THE BROWNS BOARD

Obama For Assault Gun Weapon Ban, Tighter Background Checks

Obama urges tighter background checks on gun buyers after Aurora massacre

olivier-40x40-jpg_002342.jpgBy Olivier Knox, Yahoo! News | T AP421804848176.jpgPresident Barack Obama pauses as he talks about the Aurora, Colo., movie theater shooting as he addresses the National …In his broadest remarks on gun control yet in the aftermath of the mass shooting at a Colorado movie theater, President Barack Obama called late Wednesday for tougher background checks designed to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill. "A lot of gun owners would agree that AK-47s belong in the hands of soldiers, not in the hands of criminals -- that they belong on the battlefield of war, not on the streets of our cities," the president, who has called for reimposing the Assault Weapons Ban, said in a speech to the National Urban League.

"I believe the majority of gun owners would agree that we should do everything possible to prevent criminals and fugitives from purchasing weapons; that we should check someone's criminal record before they can check out a gun seller; that a mentally unbalanced individual should not be able to get his hands on a gun so easily," he said. "These steps shouldn't be controversial. They should be common sense."

But Obama also offered a nod to the difficult politics of gun control, portraying himself as a believer in the individual right to bear arms, and acknowledging that calls to action after an incident like the one in Aurora often fade.

"When there is an extraordinarily heartbreaking tragedy like the one we saw, there's always an outcry immediately after for action. And there's talk of new reforms, and there's talk of new legislation," Obama said in his speech. "And too often, those efforts are defeated by politics and by lobbying and eventually by the pull of our collective attention elsewhere."

"And I, like most Americans, believe that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual the right to bear arms. And we recognize the traditions of gun ownership that passed on from generation to generation -— that hunting and shooting are part of a cherished national heritage," he said.

The president also singled out youth violence, and warned that government can only do so much. "It's up to us, as parents and as neighbors and as teachers and as mentors, to make sure our young people don't have that void inside them," he said.

(It's unclear how much political capital Obama will risk in an election-year gun-control fight. On the way to Aurora on Sunday, White House press secretary Jay Carney was asked whether there would be no renewed push for the assault weapons ban. "I wouldn't argue with your assessment about that," Carney replied. And White House officials have repeatedly emphasized that they are focused on enforcing "existing law.")

On a lighter note, Obama warned American school kids that they have to "hit the books" if they want to compete with their peers in rising economic powers -- and avoid temptations like TV's "Real Housewives."

"You're competing against young people in Beijing and Bangalore. They're not hanging out. They're not getting over. They're not playing video games. They're not watching 'Real Housewives.' I'm just saying: It's a two-way street. You've got to earn success," he said.

"That wasn't in my prepared remarks," he said, to laughter from the crowd. "But I'm just saying."

Woody, it's what Obamao DOES that contradicts what he says that is the serious problem.

Obamao has a long history of being against private citizen gun ownership. Right up to wanting all ammo sales made illegal.

But in a second term?

You watch him go all out the other direction from what he just says now.

That is serious corruption bs. Obamao is the worst mistake America has ever had in the WH.

Far worse than Wilson, and that's freakin TERRIBLE.

"you gun owners didn't buy that gun, you don't own that gun, a lot of other people helped you along the way. So...

it's the peoples' guns, and they want you to give them up."

you watch.

Lol, you go on and on about what he is gonna do and saying that you know what he is thinking....

Ok cal

like i haven't heard that out if you a million times

either way, I don't disagree with anything he said there. No one needs an AK.

No one needs to own a car.

No one needs to own a house.

No one needs to own a farm.

No one needs to own a jacuzzi.

No one needs to own a computer.

No one needs to own a bike.

No one needs to go to college.

No one needs to own a knife.

No one needs to own rope.

No one needs to have gasoline.

No one needs a riding lawnmower.

No one needs to own a lawnmower at all. Buy a goat.

It doesn't use gasoline.

No one needs to wear nice clothes.

No one needs to go to church.

No one needs to buy ice cream in the summer.

No one needs to use lotion on poison ivy rations to stop the itching.

No one needs to own a telephone. or cell phone.

No one needs to own a stereo.

No one needs to own a desk.

No one needs to have carpet in their house that they don't need to own.

No one needs to own a sweeper for the carpet that they don't need to own in the house they don't need to own.

No one needs to have kids.

No one needs to get married.

No one needs to have a driver's license.

No one needs to go on vacation.

Want more? Anybody want to chime in ?

No one needs to own a tv.

No one needs to own a radio.

No one needs to own a microwave. (they cause global warming, you know...)

No one needs to cook over a stove in their house. (global warming, and fire risk. Don't you care about people burned? Houses catching on fire?)

No one needs to wear tennis shoes

No one needs to own a refrigerator. (use an ice box like in the olden days, wimp)

No one needs to read books.

No one needs to own fly swatters. (poor little liberal flies that always want to annoy)

No one needs to have running water in the house that they don't need to own.....

No one needs to have indoor plumbing... " " " .

No one needs to have an inhouse. Use an outhouse like in the olden days.

No one needs to drive the car that they don't need to own, on pavement... go back to dirt roads like in the olden days.

No one needs to use toilet paper. Use leaves off trees. Liberal marxists should use the handy and prevalent

leaves that come in bunches of threes or fives....@@

No one needs cameras.

No one needs ATV's.

No one needs to own a boat.

No one needs to ride a train. Or a subway.

No one really needs to work. Everybody can just go on welfare....@@

No one needs to own a tent, or go camping.

No one needs to go anything, because Obamao says you didn't do it, anyways. Just collect your welfare.

No one needs to drink beer.

No one needs to own a pencil or paper.

No one needs to have grass in their yard that they don't need to own in front of the house that they don't need to own, so they

wouldn't need to mow the grass with any kind of lawnmower that they don't need to buy.

But wait...... there's more !

Obama has been looking for a way to confiscate weapons. So we have one lunatic pothead shoot up a theatre and here we go with the same ole bullshit!

Not too many pot heads I've known have shot up a movie theatre. :rolleyes: Furthermore, I'd worry more about the potential actions of heroin addicts, meth-heads, the new bath salt craze, the growing epidemic of pain pill abusers, and even alcoholics before I worry about someone who smokes weed.

no one needs to own an AK

You do not know what you are talking about.

If you feel lucky, try to come and take mine away.

The AR is a much more superior rifle when it comes to accuracy. Just ask the Taliban. :lol:

Here's why I would WANT one:

1. Police break into my home by having the wrong address - it happens.

My wife, friends and kids and big pup and cats don't get shot out of hand,

because I have an AR and can hold my own until they realize why I'm yelling

"you dumb somebeeches, back off, you have the wrong house" @@

2. When a bunch of occupiers on bath salts assault my neighborhood, and break into our home, every one of them is a goner.

3. If I'm out hiking our property and woods, and a troop of wolves or coyotes or enraged pit bulls go after our neighbor's kids,

the attackers are toast.

4. Just knowing that Americans have Ar's etc, means that the gov can't just throw out our Constitution and establish

a marxist junta, Chavez style. After all, when Obamao's friends (Bill Ayers and Benadine Dorn and co.) talked about taking over

our gov, they referred to the number of Americans who will need to be "terminated" because they won't go along with the new order of gov...

It was in the MILLIONS that they said would have to end up dead.

Watch the Canada youtube video on registration... and forcible home entry, and destruction searching and taking of guns... (UN mandated I guess?)

I didn't care so much about "assault weapons".... until the dems and brady idiots and Obamao tried to say a .22 with a clip was an assualt weapon.

And all pistols. And any semi auto shotgun. IOW's.... all guns - right back to the real ulterior motive - disarming everybody, because they aren't liberals.

It's a war on any American institution and status quo, and our Constitution and Bill of Rights especially.

Besides, it would be very cool. @@

Obama has been looking for a way to confiscate weapons. So we have one lunatic pothead shoot up a theatre and here we go with the same ole bullshit!

You're a fucking fool. I'm sorry, I know you're the moderator but this is so ridiculously wrong its funny. One massacre? Just one? They happen all the fucking time. All the time. This is not an isolated incident.

Sorry, but you are being the fool. All this outrage is INDEED over one incident, politically expedient crap.

I know that this stupid kid was being treated by a psychiatrist for szitzo whatever how you spell it ...@@

That should have flagged his purchases. There's your weak link. It isn't going after law abiding citizens who

would never be any kind of irresponsible crimiinal sort.

Buying on the internet with no background check? Well, I don't know how you can do that check at all.

But banning guns and gun ownership doesn't solve anything. Which leads directly to ulterior motives.

There are all sorts of crimes with no guns involved. But libs don't care a whit. about those.

They only care to make guns a political gambit of the left. Interesting, and quite telling, don't you think?

Woody:

If you, T and I were hiking down a national park trail, ....

and a grizzly comes after you. ... would you rather T and I have

single shot .22 ? Or AK's?

Same thing, we're at a Brownsboard picnic in Arkansas, and a few 500 lb

wild boars charge out of the trees and go after a group of young kids playing.

You want us to have single shot .22's? Or semi auto 12 shot.45 pistols? Or assualt rifles?

The kind of gun isn't the problem. It's the criminals. The Colorado killer may have killed

more innocents, with a single shot 12 gauge. Or, gallons of gasoline and molotov cocktails.

It's the crazy people that need to be stopped from acting out. So much for, btw, high iq in a prestigious school

in science, meaning you are superior, eh?.

We were almost attacked by boars in Arkansas. We were driving back from Texas to Ohio.

We didn't stop, but I had a feeling they were out there in the woods heading our way.....:rolleyes:

But seriously, boars are becoming a huge, huge problem in a lot of states, all the way up to

southwestern Ohio.

Look it up sometime. The suckers are huge.

Face it. You'd want me and T to have assualt weapons. You know it. @@

Lol, you go on and on about what he is gonna do and saying that you know what he is thinking....

Ok cal

like i haven't heard that out if you a million times

either way, I don't disagree with anything he said there. No one needs an AK.

Oh boy here I go. You need nothing more than air food and water to live on a day to day basis. Freedom of speech unnecessary to your survival, cars just toys not needed, house meh you can get by without, computer, phone, freedom, none of those are needed for you to continue on existing. we have things that were written out in the constitution as guarantees. Freedom of speech the right to own firearms to protect or selves and our personal freedoms from threats foreign and domestic. though none of those things is necessary to your day to day existence. But does not mean they do not make your life better off without them.

The ability to defend myself is right there number two in the list right behind the ability to say and do as I please as long as it does not interfere in another persons liberty.

But yet again a handful of individuals seem to think that a law which is reactive rather than proactive by nature is going to solve the oldest problem in human history. murder is illegal it is the highest form of crime. and yet it was still carried out. why are you not crying out for stricter murder laws? how about laws against insane people making insanity illegal? The laws do not matter to some, and making more laws will only further erode the rights of the millions of people who on a day to day basis never ever will commit a crime. I can just as easily rack up a kill count in my car by simply pressing the accelerator and going headlong into a crowd of people after an event at 130 MPH. should make it so that no car has more than 50 HP to prevent that?

Where does the line stop in trying to prevent insane people from injuring others when I can do it with my own body.

Congrats on using the same argument as Cal.

You don't need a fucking AK to defend yourself

I have a family of coyote in my backyard that has no fear of humans or dogs. I am pretty sure that a semi auto rifle as capable as the AK or AR15 is about perfect for that. so you were saying?

oh and way to resort to vulgarity it makes your point so much clearer

Not too many pot heads I've known have shot up a movie theatre. :rolleyes: Furthermore, I'd worry more about the potential actions of heroin addicts, meth-heads, the new bath salt craze, the growing epidemic of pain pill abusers, and even alcoholics before I worry about someone who smokes weed.

Potheads? hell yeah potheads fit right into the same category as you have mentioned. Believe me I have dealt with all of the above and I wouldn't trust any of them.

You're a fucking fool. I'm sorry, I know you're the moderator but this is so ridiculously wrong its funny. One massacre? Just one? They happen all the fucking time. All the time. This is not an isolated incident.

I gave you a warning for the vulgar language and Woody is next.

Try again and stop acting like a spoiled brat because you cannot get your way. If you do not like the Bill of Rights move out of the country and denounce your citizenship because true americans protect their rights.

I gave you a warning for the vulgar language and Woody is next.

Try again and stop acting like a spoiled brat because you cannot get your way. If you do not like the Bill of Rights move out of the country and denounce your citizenship because true americans protect their rights.

Are you serious T?

Get off your pedestal. You are a horrible, biased mod. You are a price, plain and simple. A crazy old man ranting about those damn kids and there pot, but some how has the technical knowledge to moderate this website and squash the speech if others saying things he doesn't like while complaining Obama does exactly that. Then you let Bunker do literally anything cyz you agree with him.

My god Bunker. I don't care what you say, or C or Bunker no matter how Retarded it is half the time, but I would never censor your dumb ramblings.

vulgarity isn't necessary, and is offensive.

You all don't know who has kids who happen to be sitting with them or not.

I need an assualt rifle and you don't need your vulgarity.

At least an assualt rifle will save your life if need be.

Vulgarity never saves or accomplishes or protects anything.

I think spouting vulgarity more than once accidently, or angrily, should result in deportation.

To gitmo. and waterboarding.@@

Congrats on using the same argument as Cal.

You don't need a fucking AK to defend yourself

look I am not as hard line on the language as the other guys seem to be but it doesn't help your point at all to come at me like that. now explain to me why I don't need a rifle like an AR15 that comes in a varmit sized round(5.56) that fires in semi auto just the same as most other guns do. it is not an automatic weapon just like the majority of legal weapons in the US. and the round is smaller than most other rifles in the US. like I said it is a varmit round and it really is not all that powerful.

so far you have not had a point other than to say the you feel we do not need a gun and that quite frankly means nothing. when the founding fathers of our country were using full military grade everything to fight a revolution. I am pretty sure they were absolute in their belief that we needed weapons and they made no mention of restrictions on military grade anything because that is exactly what they were using.

vulgarity isn't necessary, and is offensive.

You all don't know who has kids who happen to be sitting with them or not.

I need an assualt rifle and you don't need your vulgarity.

At least an assualt rifle will save your life if need be.

Vulgarity never saves or accomplishes or protects anything.

I think spouting vulgarity more than once accidently, or angrily, should result in deportation.

To gitmo. and waterboarding.@@

You are right.

Calling to round up fags and beat them is much more appropriate...

Archived