Steve Largent 1976-1989 Tulsa

Dante Lavelli 1946-1956 Ohio St.

James Lofton 1978-1993 Stanford

Don Maynard 1958, 1960-1973 UTEP

Tommy McDonald 1957-1968 Oklahoma

Bobby Mitchell (also HB) 1958-1968 Illinois

Art Monk 1980-1995 Syracuse

Pete Pihos 1947-1955 Indiana

Jerry Rice 1985-2000 Mississippi Valley St.

John Stallworth 1974-1987 Alabama A&M

Lynn Swann 1974-1982 USC

Charley Taylor (also HB) 1964-1975, Ariz. St.

1977 Paul Warfield 1964-1977 Ohio St.

A few other receivers under consideration include Cris Carter of Ohio State, Tim Brown of Notre Dame. You also have the likes of Randy Moss from Marshall, Terrell Owens of Tennessee-Chattanooga.

So, the answer is: why not Baylor and Utah?

I know this is a list of wrs, but lets not forget probably the greatest TE in NFL history came from Savannah St.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jerry Rice went to Mississippi Valley State. Look at all the WRs in the HOF and see what schools they come from. It doesn't matter where you played college ball, only how good you are.

did jerry rice flunk 3 drug tests while in college?

no wonder gordon didn't play.

OK, yes, apparently you are talking about Shannon Sharpe. I personally would not consider him the greatest tight end.....but that is not to disparage him. He is one of a handful who are in the HOF. Here are the schools of the others:

Dave Casper Notre Dame

Mike Ditka Pitt

John Mackey Syracuse

Charlie Sanders Minnesota

Jackie Smith Northwestern St.

Ozzie Newsome Alabama

Sharpe Savannah St.

Kellen Winslow Missouri

Perhaps the guy that many will consider the best of all time is still playing:

Tony Gonzales California

Here is the list of the people named "Gordon" that have played in the NFL. They are calling Josh: "Commissioner Gordon". Is there anyone on this list who should carry the mantle of "Commissioner"?

Alex Gordon LB 1987-1993

Amon Gordon DT 2004-2011

Bobby Gordon DB 1958-1960

Charles Gordon DB 2006-2008

Cletis Gordon DB 2006-2011

Cornell Gordon DB 1965-1972

Darrien Gordon DB 1993-2002

Dick Gordon WR-SE-FL 1965-1974

Dwayne Gordon LB 1993-2000

Ira Gordon G-T 1970-1975

John Gordon DT 1972-1972

Lamar Gordon RB 2002-2006

Larry Gordon LB 1976-1982

Lennox Gordon RB 1999-2000

Lou Gordon T-G-E 1930-1938

Richard Gordon TE 2011-2011

Sonny Gordon DB 1987-1987

Steve Gordon C 1998-1998

Tim Gordon DB 1987-1992

What has that got to do with what school(s) he went to?

i brought up the topic about schools on this josh gordon thread. clearly everyone thinks the big 12 has now risen from the ashes like some great phoenix. isn't that the conference everyone one was trying to get out of? by no means would i compare a player from utah or baylor to a player that consistently performs on national tv week in and week out and plays against top ten teams like the SEC does. that's just my opinion.

now i read this morning that he said he only flunked one drug test when it was really three. i'm not saying the kid sucks because of it (god knows i've smoked plenty of weed in my day, and still enjoy the green once and awhile.....but my future and my family's future didn't depend on me passwing a drug test. especially 3 drug test!) so let's not even mention the likes of HOFers when we talk about josh gordon.

everyone gets sooo excited about these guys, it's nuts. carlton mitchell and jordan norwood for example. wow, they've got the measurables. they've got this and that. 3 catches by one of them in a 2 year span. 23 catches by the other in a 3 year span. and they can't beat out massaqua and couldn't beat out robiskie.

listen i hope this kid IS the next jerry rice. i really do. i want the best for this team. to some i might sound pessimistic, i call it realistic.

sure you can catch lightning in a bottle but heckert's looking up at a bright sky while doing so.

i brought up the topic about schools on this josh gordon thread. clearly everyone thinks the big 12 has now risen from the ashes like some great phoenix. isn't that the conference everyone one was trying to get out of? by no means would i compare a player from utah or baylor to a player that consistently performs on national tv week in and week out and plays against top ten teams like the SEC does. that's just my opinion.

now i read this morning that he said he only flunked one drug test when it was really three. i'm not saying the kid sucks because of it (god knows i've smoked plenty of weed in my day, and still enjoy the green once and awhile.....but my future and my family's future didn't depend on me passwing a drug test. especially 3 drug test!) so let's not even mention the likes of HOFers when we talk about josh gordon.

everyone gets sooo excited about these guys, it's nuts. carlton mitchell and jordan norwood for example. wow, they've got the measurables. they've got this and that. 3 catches by one of them in a 2 year span. 23 catches by the other in a 3 year span. and they can't beat out massaqua and couldn't beat out robiskie.

listen i hope this kid IS the next jerry rice. i really do. i want the best for this team. to some i might sound pessimistic, i call it realistic.

sure you can catch lightning in a bottle but heckert's looking up at a bright sky while doing so.

He failed 2 drug tests at Baylor and none at Utah. Openly admitted to the two he failed at Baylor.

Here is the list of the people named "Gordon" that have played in the NFL. They are calling Josh: "Commissioner Gordon". Is there anyone on this list who should carry the mantle of "Commissioner"?

I prefer "Flash" Gordon for a wide receiver.

Zombo

Not necessarily. You don't see (or hear about) the super stud players in lesser conferences exactly because they're not on National TV every week. Everyone poo-pooed Boise State until they started beating the snot out of the Big Boys that thought they were scheduling a cram puff. Conversely, just because the guy plays like a stud in a "Power" Conference doesn't make him a lock to do the same in the NFL- the list of Big Time Busts in that category is legion.

I won't waste my time looking up great non WR NFL players that came out of nowhere schools, but Lyle Alzado (Yankton State) and Ken Anderson (Augustana) immediately come to mind.

You can't coach up inferior athletic talent- Antonio Gates didn't even play football in college.

That is NOT something that can be proclaimed to be "just an opnion". That is a factual statement that should be supported by facts.

Prove your facts.

Show us where any one SEC school is so much greater than the likes of Baylor or Utah at producing quality WRs.

I showed you the HOF WR list. I don't think your proposition can be supported by that.

See what you come up with.

That is NOT something that can be proclaimed to be "just an opnion". That is a factual statement that should be supported by facts.

Prove your facts.

See what you come up with.

no. it's an opinion. my opinion is that if i were a GM and needed a defensive gem wouldn't you look at alabama or lsu first (last year)?

He failed 2 drug tests at Baylor and none at Utah. Openly admitted to the two he failed at Baylor.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d80kJ?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=cleveland-browns

As most know, I am anti-drug. I am also not naive enough to believe most young folks today haven't used drugs, especially pot. Gordon tested positive early in his College playing career doing what kids do. He was NOT stupid enough to test positive at the Combine or his workout, when his Pro future was on the line. To me, there is a huge difference, & I believe the young man deserves this chance. Something tells me he'll be fine.

Mike

no. it's an opinion. my opinion is that if i were a GM and needed a defensive gem wouldn't you look at alabama or lsu first (last year)?

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d80kJ?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=cleveland-browns

Even if he did fail a third at Utah, which I doubt considering the circumstances of who came out with the info and when, he still admitted to the two he got at Baylor in the post draft interview he had with Cleveland media.

Oh and when it comes down to it I will always believe a person face to face over some anonymous people who are not willing to give their names.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/07/despite_a_report_browns_receiv.html

I don't care if he wants to smoke all the pot in the world... as long as he doesn't get caught and he catches everything thrown his way!

How is he going to handle having a QB named The Weedster? :blink:

"gordon breaks free on the left hand side and weeden throws deep....the catch...and he's in for a touchdown!!!! perfectly thrown hard spiral to the rookie out of utahbay!!

"gee gus, the weedster just smoked a ball to the weedhead for a TD!!!"

I think NFL GMs look at the player first, not the school. It just happens that the really good players at certain positions seem to go to certain schools......but when it comes to WRs any decent GM would NOT necessarily look to the SEC....or necessarily the big conferences.

Here is the list of the Top 20 receivers (by number of catches) and the schools they went to:

Jerry Rice: Mississippi Valley St.

Tony Gonzales: Cal

Marvin Harrison: Syracuse

Cris Carter: Ohio St.

Tim Brown: Notre Dame

Terrell Owens: Tennessee-Chattanooga

Isaac Bruce: Memphis

Hines Ward: Georgia

Randy Moss: Marshall

Andre Reed: Kutztown St. Pa.

Derrick Mason: Michigan St.

Art Monk: Syracuse

Torry Holt: NC St.

Keenan McCardell: UNLV

Jimmy Smith: Jackson St.

Reggie Wayne: Miami Fla.

Muhsin Muhammed: Michigan St.

Irving Fryar: Nebraska

Rod Smith: Missouri Southern

Larry Centers: S.F. Austin

As one can tell, there are far more small college players on this list than SEC players... or most other big conferences.

So the fact that a Mississippi Valley St. can produce the best WR ever, and that Kutztown and S.F. Austin or Chattanooga can do so shows CLEARLY that a Baylor or a Utah could do no worse.

As I see it, the problem is not that the likes of Gordon went to Baylor, but that none of these top WRs have played for the Browns.

(Note, of course that the top WR numbers by catches is heavily weighted toward more recent players due to the proliferation of the passing game)

If one were to go by Yards per reception, the leader list looks quite a bit different. You coule say that the following were the best home run hitters in football history:

1. Warren Wells 23.1 1964-1970 2TM

2. Ken Kavanaugh 22.4 1940-1950 chi

3. Homer Jones 22.3 1964-1970 2TM

4. Mal Kutner 21.1 1946-1950 crd

5. Buddy Dial 20.8 1959-1966 2TM

6. Cloyce Box 20.7 1949-1954 det

7. Bob Boyd 20.5 1950-1957 ram

8. Harlon Hill 20.2 1954-1962 3TM

9. Flipper Anderson 20.1 1988-1997 4TM

Paul Warfield+ 20.1 1964-1977 2TM

11. Bill Groman 20.0 1960-1965 3TM

Bob Hayes+ 20.0 1965-1975 2TM

13. Willie Gault 19.9 1983-1993 2TM

14. Jimmy Orr 19.8 1958-1970 2TM

15. Ray Renfro 19.6 1952-1963 cle

16. Dokie Williams 19.4 1983-1987 rai

17. Hugh Taylor 19.2 1947-1954 was

Stanley Morgan 19.2 1977-1990 2TM

19. Wesley Walker 19.0 1977-1989 nyj

20. Lance Alworth+ 18.9 1962-1972 2TM

Mel Gray 18.9 1971-1982 crd

Carroll Dale

Interestingly, not a single one of the players on the most catches list appears on this list.

What that seems to tell me is that, though the modern game is more pass oriented....it is oriented toward the shorter pass routes.

I didn't list him here because he is not in the top 20, but the next guy on this list is Mike Wallace of the Steelers who has an 18.7 ypc avg.

Does this make him the top "home run hitter" in the league? Perhaps. But it seems that the long bomb is not as prevalent in today's game as in years past.

if you look back at my post about the schools i never said they couldn't produce good players i said when did baylor and utah all of a sudden become the benchmark for measuring talent. it was a crack concerning all the hoopla over RGIII and kendall wright this past year. i know phil taylor will be badly missed this year by the browns. and to hoorta's point: i never said all these small schools suck they just aren't the perrenial 'pick a player, any player' type of school that produces top notch players across the board. penn state was once known as linebacker U, miami as wide receiver U. if i were a betting man i'd take a player who plays against great talent every week and produces big time over a player who plays against scrubs and puts up great numbers.

i know college talent doesn't necessarily mean NFL talent. BUT what i saw of alabama's defense against LSU in the national championship game.......if i had my druthers i'd swap out the whole browns defense and fill every position with that defense. guaranteed within a year they'd be top 5 in the NFL.

we picked a QB from the big 12 a couple of years ago who had great college stats and just drafted another who was more interested in baseball until he realized he couldn't cut it and played 2 years in college. so i guess the big 12 is now the QB conference?

B)

if you look back at my post about the schools i never said they couldn't produce good players i said when did baylor and utah all of a sudden become the benchmark for measuring talent.

I don't know that they are the benchmark for producing good talent. I am not the one that said they were. On the other hand, why not? What schools have good talent is an evolutionary thing. When I was younger, Miami Fla. was a nothing school when it came to football. They were a low level independent. Sometime in the early 80s that all changed and they began producing great talent. The same was true for Virginia Tech and several other schools. They evolved into a place where really good talent came from. Maybe Baylor is reaching that point now....becoming "a place" to go for good talented players. The opposite has occurred as well. SMU was a powerhouse before the death penalty was applied to them. Now, perhaps, some of that SMU type talent may be going to Baylor.

it was a crack concerning all the hoopla over RGIII and kendall wright this past year. i know phil taylor will be badly missed this year by the browns. and to hoorta's point: i never said all these small schools suck they just aren't the perrenial 'pick a player, any player' type of school that produces top notch players across the board. penn state was once known as linebacker U, miami as wide receiver U. if i were a betting man i'd take a player who plays against great talent every week and produces big time over a player who plays against scrubs and puts up great numbers.

Except, of course, it appears you would lose your bet based on the production of those players that came from the likes of Kutztown, MVSU, Memphis, S.F. Austin etc.

the ONLY SEC guy on the entire list was Whines Hard.

i know college talent doesn't necessarily mean NFL talent. BUT what i saw of alabama's defense against LSU in the national championship game.......if i had my druthers i'd swap out the whole browns defense and fill every position with that defense. guaranteed within a year they'd be top 5 in the NFL.

we picked a QB from the big 12 a couple of years ago who had great college stats and just drafted another who was more interested in baseball until he realized he couldn't cut it and played 2 years in college. so i guess the big 12 is now the QB conference?

Again, perhaps it is evolutionary. Historically,The Big 12 has NOT been a hotbed of quality NFL QBs (but then, neither has Ohio State). In the history of the Super Bowl the Big 12 produced one single SB starting QB: Vince Ferragamo. And he spent two years at UCLA before transferring...and of course, Nebraska where he played is no longer a Big 12 school (though it might have been known as The Big 8 when he played there)

However, now, perhaps the Big 12 is producing some good NFL QBs. You will have Big 12 starting QBs perhaps in the following locales: Redskins, Bengals, Browns, Jags, Dolphins (if Tanehill starts), Rams, maybe more.

Here is the breakdown of the projected 32 NFL starting QBs this fall, and the conferences from whence they come:

The Pac-12: 7: Sanchez USC, Moore Ore St., Luck Stanford, Rodgers Cal, Cassell USC, Smith Utah now in Pac 12, Palmer USC

SEC: 6: Flynn LSU, P.Manning Tenn., Stafford Georgia, Cutler Vanderbilt, Newton Auburn, E.Manning Ole Miss

ACC: 6: Rivers NC St., Schaub Va. Tech, Ponder FSU, Hasselback BC, Ryan BC, Vick Va. Tech.

Big 12: 6: Bradford OK, Weeden OK St., Dalton TCU now in B-12, Freeman KSU, Gabbert Mizz., Griffin Baylor

Big 10: 2 Brady Michigan, Brees Purdue

Conference USA: 1 Kolb Houston

MAC: 1 Roethlisberger Miami,O.

Ivy: Fitzpatrick Harvard

Small schools: Flacco Delaware, Romo Eastern Illinois

(So, the Big 12 seems to be holding its own at producing QBs.....It is the Big Ten that seems to be lagging off.)

without doing the research that you have provided i would have guess the pac 12 would have the most number of QBs starting in the league.

and yes the big ten is slipping. i can't remember the last time ohio state had a good QB.

A note on this "what school do you look to to obtain talent question". Recall that for the first 50 years of football the primary sources of football talent were the Ivy Leagues. They were at the forefront right up till the 1930s. Then came the era of Notre Dame and Army and Navy. Army/Navy slipped.....and it seems that Notre Dame has slipped since the late 80s. It has been a full generation since they won a national title.

So, a new era can come along at any time. Maybe Baylor can become somewhat of a powerhouse. If smaller, private colleges like Miami and Notre Dame can do it, so might a Baylor if they are able to attract talent.

Nothing says "come to our school to play football" like showing top notch recruits things like Heisman Trophies, high first round draft picks, multiple first and second round draft picks. Phil Taylor, RGIII, Wright, Gordon, etc. etc. all say "screw Texas and Oklahoma come to Baylor and become an NFL spotlighted prospect".

This doesn't change anything about your breakdown because it's still ACC. But Schaub went to UVA not Virginia Tech. I'm a UVA fan and I take major offense to that buddy.

Don't disrespect the great UVA with that disgusting Virginia Tech nonsense.

Sorry, I was going from memory. At least I got the right state.

Archived