THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Gordon

Or, off the roster completely?

That's what I think, but I'm no expert. I have just seen NOTHING from Momass that excites me....no YAC, no great hands, no coming back to help the QB, etc......We'll see.

Mike

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To supplement this, here are the WRs the Browns have taken in the First Round:

1962 Gary Collins

1964 Paul Warfield

1973 Steve Holden

1979 Willis Adams

1994 Derrick Alexander

2005 Braylon Edwards

There is not a lot of heart to take in this. The best WRs the Browns have ever drafted in the first or second rounds were the first two: Collins and Warfield. Then comes Slaughter, then comes Bo Diddley squat basically. Until now maybe? Wouldn't it be nice to see Greg Little and Josh Gordon become modern day Collins and Warfield?

Trent Richardson become the modern day Jim Brown and Colt McCoy become the next Otto Graham. To those who don't know, Graham was also 6'1".

Please Browns, Bring BACK Brownie!!!

Love the pick.I think Gordon will play well for us after a adjustment period, and our offense will drastically be improved by the moves we made this offseason. The loss of the second round pick for next year doesn't even bother me because for once free agents are going to WANT to come play in Cleveland with all of this young talent we have. :)

Oh wait a minute I almost forgot that shurmer is still the coach. We may still have to pray. LOL

Yeah because I haven't seen Greg Little on the field once yet, be ause if his...you know...one season of playing.

Been reading up....and willingly concede. In reading what really happened to gordon, this could be just the kid we've been looking for. A grateful braylon with good hands.

Slotting only matters for busts. No risk...no reward. Lets hope im right about being wrong :)

Here is where we need the old "Like" button. In the words of Boss Nazz: "Meesa liking dis."

The thing I like about the play is the way he caught the ball. He reached out and grabbed it. It's great he went 94 yards but part of that is plain ole luck.

I think he is going to be a good player and playing way sooner than some people think. He has missed some time, but we have enough coaches someone can spend some extra time each day and get him up to speed.

The only thing I'm worried about, is our luck on WR's in the 2nd round.

We keep drafting more WR's in the 2nd round to replace past 2nd round WR failures.

I think we've had like 7 to 9 2nd round WR's and so far none have panned out (Little is still pending).

Johnson,

Northcutt

Q

Davis

Robiskie

Massaquoi

Anyone name any other 2nd round WR's we've failed on?

These are all PAST front offices...lets not forget that. I'd say G. Little will be the first 2nd round WR hit for the current front office. Mark it down.

The only thing I'm worried about, is our luck on WR's in the 2nd round.

We keep drafting more WR's in the 2nd round to replace past 2nd round WR failures.

I think we've had like 7 to 9 2nd round WR's and so far none have panned out (Little is still pending).

Johnson,

Northcutt

Q

Davis

Robiskie

Massaquoi

Anyone name any other 2nd round WR's we've failed on?

Webster f'n slaughter

He practiced all season with Utah. He just didn't get to play on Saturday's.

So his transition shouldn't be as big as Little's last year, and we all seen what he was capable of.

I think he'll get playing time from day one, probably won't start right away but he'll see the field.

He will definitely start right away. If we had an early bye week like we did last year, he'd probably start right after the bye week like Greg Little did. That being said, there is almost a 0% chance Gordon starts week 1 unless he comes right in and absolutely cruses it. But there is also almost a 100% chance he plays in week 1. I think I said somewhere here or maybe to a friend that I think he'll be starting next to Little at the absolute latest between Weeks 5-7.

I'm pretty excited about this.

He's not going to start the season unless people get hurt. He'll get his time and just like Little last year, it will increase weekly, and then at some point the grand announcement will come he is the starter.

Ballsy move... As a outside unbiased fan.. Right now... Giving up a 2nd round pick for a raw guy that probably wont be ready to really play until 2 years from now... Now if Gordon develops into what his measurable say he could be.. In the furture this could be a really good draft pick...

This is a pure potential driven pick... In the high rounds (1st and 2nd round) ... Those picks scare me especially for a rebuilding team....

As of now i think its a solid pickup.. It could go either way.

Ballsy move... As a outside unbiased fan.. Right now... Giving up a 2nd round pick for a raw guy that probably wont be ready to really play until 2 years from now... Now if Gordon develops into what his measurable say he could be.. In the furture this could be a really good draft pick...

This is a pure potential driven pick... In the high rounds (1st and 2nd round) ... Those picks scare me especially for a rebuilding team....

Heckert did his homework on the kid. We'll find out if he's right. From those two clips he sort of reminds me of Plaxico Burris. I hope he's smart enough to not shoot himself in the leg at a bar. :)

He's not as raw as you people think he is. Several people around the guy think he can come right end and become a starter this season. Maybe not #1, but honestly I don't give a shit, I only expect either him or Little to become a true #1. Obviously yes he has some work to do on his route running, but that is the one thing that can be coached up in the NFL. You can't coach height, speed, and it hard has hell to coach hands, but thank god he has all those already.

Unlike Greg Little he WAS practicing with Utah in the season he missed. Greg Little was banned from practices, games, and being around the team entirely during the 2010 season. He was in trouble with the NCAA. Gordon was only in trouble with Baylor. When he was dismissed he transferred and acted like a normal transfer student. He sat out the year, but still practiced with the team and stayed in shape through workouts and conditioning. Greg Little came in and started after 4 games and a bye week. He came in and did that cold turkey. At least Josh Gordon has be thawing out all last year. He isn't cooked and ready to go, but he's sure as hell better off than Greg Little was.

If Little can come in and start after 4 weeks from no contact with a team and having to stay in shape on his own, then I'm sure Gordon can come in and start after a few weeks and do the same since he was practicing with the team and working out with the team.

Coaches from both Baylor a Utah, obvious the Browns, several other scouts, and several analysts.

every coach sells their players. the browns knew they struck out in the draft by not getting any receiver worth a damn so they picked up this guy. i'd like to see a link to any analyst with any clout saying anything about this guy.

hey i hope this guy pans out but coaches talking up their players is about as rare as sushi.

every coach sells their players. the browns knew they struck out in the draft by not getting any receiver worth a damn so they picked up this guy. i'd like to see a link to any analyst with any clout saying anything about this guy.

hey i hope this guy pans out but coaches talking up their players is about as rare as sushi.

So then why would coaches who kicked him off his first team be on the list of people saying this stuff. He messed up and screwed Baylor out of being able to have him, yet all of his coaches from Baylor have nothing but the most positive stuff to say about him. They have nothing to gain from selling him yet they do.

it's called not burning bridges. in life and business kharma is a bitch. why screw someone over when they might be connected to you in some way in the future.

btw, when did utah and baylor become the milestone at which fans, analysts and coaches judge NFL preparedness and talent?

I'm just going to say that I'm setting my own expectation bar at 30 receptions for 465 yards and 2 touchdowns.... I'm not expecting much this year from Gordon... I'm just happy they picked a quality height/weight/speed guy with solid production (albeit one season). I just want him to develop and now the first three draft picks next year can be DE, OLB, and CB.

it's called not burning bridges. in life and business kharma is a bitch. why screw someone over when they might be connected to you in some way in the future.

btw, when did utah and baylor become the milestone at which fans, analysts and coaches judge NFL preparedness and talent?

About the same time you had that cactus shoved up your ass, jack.

About the same time you had that cactus shoved up your ass, jack.

wow. once again someone has to prove to everybody else that they can be the biggest asshole on the board.

i have no idea what you meant by your response.

must be the roid cycle kicking in once again.

To be fair Baylor did just put 4 guys out in the first round the past two years, and Utah is Pac-12 and sees several players drafted each season having a 3 player average over the past 5 seasons, 5 of whom were picked in the 2nd round. These are not MAC schools. If BG or W. Michigan's coaches started repping a player I wouldn't listen. These are schools from top conferences and while they are not NFL factories they tend to put out their far share of talent almost every season.

And while there are no need to burn bridges there also isn't any reason to rep someone you have no ties too. Both Baylor (cut him) and Utah (brought him and didn't even get the chance to use him) had no reason to go out of their way to rep this guy but did. And holy shit if there is karma in football I am surprised we haven't seen some stadiums burn to the fucking ground by now.

Jerry Rice went to Mississippi Valley State. Look at all the WRs in the HOF and see what schools they come from. It doesn't matter where you played college ball, only how good you are.

Lance Alworth 1962-1972 Arkansas

Raymond Berry 1955-1967 SMU

Fred Biletnikoff 1965-1978 Florida St.

Tom Fears 1948-1956 Santa Clara/UCLA

Bob Hayes 1965-1975 Florida A&M

Elroy (Crazylegs) Hirsch (also HB) Wisc/Mich

1946-1956

Michael Irvin 1988-1999 Miami Fla.

Charlie Joiner 1969-1986 Grambling

Steve Largent 1976-1989 Tulsa

Dante Lavelli 1946-1956 Ohio St.

James Lofton 1978-1993 Stanford

Don Maynard 1958, 1960-1973 UTEP

Tommy McDonald 1957-1968 Oklahoma

Bobby Mitchell (also HB) 1958-1968 Illinois

Art Monk 1980-1995 Syracuse

Pete Pihos 1947-1955 Indiana

Jerry Rice 1985-2000 Mississippi Valley St.

John Stallworth 1974-1987 Alabama A&M

Lynn Swann 1974-1982 USC

Charley Taylor (also HB) 1964-1975, Ariz. St.

1977 Paul Warfield 1964-1977 Ohio St.

A few other receivers under consideration include Cris Carter of Ohio State, Tim Brown of Notre Dame. You also have the likes of Randy Moss from Marshall, Terrell Owens of Tennessee-Chattanooga.

So, the answer is: why not Baylor and Utah?

A few other receivers under consideration include Cris Carter of Ohio State, Tim Brown of Notre Dame. You also have the likes of Randy Moss from Marshall, Terrell Owens of Tennessee-Chattanooga.

So, the answer is: why not Baylor and Utah?

Yeah- enough of this "well he only went to ________" Either you can play in the NFL or you can't.

Yeah- enough of this "well he only went to ________" Either you can play in the NFL or you can't.

I note parenthetically however that the only school with more than one HOF WR is Ohio State....and that doesn't include Cris Carter who should make it in soon and will make it 3.

Though I don't think they are HOFers, OSU is as good as any school in the nation at producing WRs, including Lavelli/Warfield/Carter. Also you had Joey Galloway, Terry Glenn, Santonio Holmes and several other quality NFLers.

(Its just that the Browns definitely got the dud of the bunch in Robo).

Here is a list of WRs that had somewhat productive, or better WRs and TEs that have come out of Ohio St.:

Brian Baschnagel 9 years

David Boston 6 years

Cris Carter 13 years

Doug Donley 5 years

Joey Galloway 16 years

Ted Ginn Jr. 5 years

Terry Glenn 12 years

Jeff Graham 11 years

Brian Hartline 3 years (active and going)

Santonio Holmes 6 years (active)

Michael Jenkins 8 years (active)

Chris Sanders 7 years

Tony Gonzales 5 years (active)

Brian Stablein 6 years

Dante Lavelli 11 years

Paul Warfield 13 years

Leonard Willis 4 years

Horace Gillom 10 years

Bob Shaw 5 years (1940s)

TEs:

Rickey Dudley 9 years

John Frank 5 years

Ben Hartsock 8 years

Darnell Sanders 3 years

Jan White 5 years.

Can anyone think of any school that can come close to matching OSU in NFL WR/TE production?

Best bets: USC/Miami?

Archived