THE BROWNS BOARD

The $34,000 Hiccup

Chicopee John

Geithner faces tax questions

The Treasury Secretary nominee is probed on the immigration status of a housekeeper and failure to pay taxes for work at the International Monetary Fund.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Members of the Senate Finance Committee met Tuesday with Treasury Secretary nominee Tim Geithner over concerns involving his personal taxes and the immigration status of a former housekeeper, transition officials said.

The Geithners employed for about a year a housekeeper whose employment authorization document expired about three months before she stopped working for them in October 2005, according to a written statement from the Senate Finance Committee.

Later, the housekeeper, who is married to a U.S. citizen, was granted a green card, transition officials said.

The second concern involves Geithner's taxes while he worked for the International Monetary Fund (IMF). According to a statement released by the committee, Geithner failed to pay self-employment taxes while IMF paid him from 2001 to 2004.

In 2006, the Internal Revenue Service audited Geithner for tax years 2003 and 2004, and he paid $16,732 for the taxes and interest for those years, the statement said. After Obama nominated him for treasury secretary, Geithner voluntarily amended his taxes for 2001 and 2002, paying $25,970 for those taxes and interest, the committee said.

The presidential transition team told Finance Committee staff about Geithner's taxes early last month, the committee said.

As an international organization, the IMF does not withhold money from employees' paychecks to pay Social Security and Medicare. U.S. employees are required to pay them on their own.

Robert Gibbs, the incoming White House spokesman, called Geithner's tax issue a "common mistake."

"The President-elect chose Tim Geithner to be his Treasury Secretary because he's the right person to help lead our economic recovery during these challenging times," Gibbs said in a written statement. "He's dedicated his career to our country and served with honor, intelligence and distinction. That service should not be tarnished by honest mistakes, which, upon learning of them, he quickly addressed."

The Finance Committee said it would continue to review Geithner's tax returns and other information ahead of a nomination hearing.

"When errors or issues of concern are discovered, transparency is vital to allow members of the Committee and the entire Senate to fully review and assess the relevant information before hearings and votes occur," the committee said in a written statement.

"I believe that these errors, although serious, do not rise to the level of disqualification. He is an extremely competent man," said Committee Chairman Max Baucus, D-Montana. "The errors were, in my judgment, honest mistakes. He did not in any way intentionally make those mistakes."

Sen. Charles Schumer, D-New York, also said the mistakes were "not at all disqualifying."

"Tim came to the committee, admitted he had made some mistakes, and was very contrite," he said in a written statement. "I continue to strongly support his nomination and given the tough economic conditions, hope we can confirm him as quickly as possible." To top of page

Dan, stick a cork in it. My posts have been pretty good posts. I do like to talk about global "warming"...

It makes you angry that others post what you want kept secret, perhaps?

So far, you haven't posted much of anything at all. I take it you are still whining

that you libs can't control the content of the board.

I haven't been posting much at all. Ask anybody. Just bought a new Garrett Ace 250 metal detector for

a new hobby on the farm and on vacations...

we just bought a haybine to cut and condition our hay, we're researchin that piece of equipment,

and...

you all whined at losing the election for the last 7 years. So, I guess you are an expert at recognizing

whining about losing this last one. Except you want to shut it down.

We listened to your-alls crap for 7 years, Dan. Nice to try to "Fairness Doctrine" the rest of us.

Truth is, I have been taking, as well as John and a few others, the high road in giving Obama a chance

to be pres of EVERYBODY and do a good job.

John has been doing a great job - there is a DIFFERENCE between keeping things civil, and partisan censorship.

You are doing the latter, I think. But DO have a nice day.

Guest Aloysius
Civil debate and rational conversation over differences in ideals and philosophies in an adult manner has sunk to a very sorry board that needs to be closed.

A couple months ago, the question was "How can we make sure things don't fall apart?" Now, reasonable folks are calling for the board to be closed.

That's pretty sad.

dan your the only one talking trash! the rest are trying to stir up conversation on political topics, but maybe its best you stay silent when you dont have anything useful to say but trash talk others!

try adding some input to the subject at hand and then you might be able to converse, no one here is going to jump on you for stating what your political beliefs are. We can have a difference in opinions but dosn't mean were going to post personal attacks.

If indeed the man is garbage,can him.

Whats the big deal?

Whatever happened to cleaning up and moderating this board?

I have to say John I'm not impressed with what you have allowed to go on in here since you took the reigns.

Cut and paste threads with no point,flat out racist personal attacks [diehard],massive amounts of shit threads by T and Cal, and it is allowed after the "promise" to moderate and keep it civil so LOGICAL discussions could be had in here,but instead it has become a board of graffitti for a bunch of sour grapes over losing an election without even trying to understand or care or take responsibilty for the massive failure that is the Bush presidency.

Civil debate and rational conversation over differences in ideals and philosophies in an adult manner has sunk to a very sorry board that needs to be closed.

Good job!

Flame away children.............

Racist posts? Show me one. Of course with you liberals anything anti Obama is probably considered racist, am I correct oh noble one? Your the biggest pussy on here, except maybe for mz the pussy. Grow some nuts and a sense of humor. You guys are sickening to listen to. I suggest if you don't like the posts, don't read them. Kind of like watching TV.

Bite me but, then again, thanks for your input.

Monkey see,monkey do

Dan, stick a cork in it.

Your the biggest pussy on here, except maybe for mz the pussy.

Why expect any different when the moderator himself double threads the same topic?

C'mon, just today for example December's retail sales numbers were down 2 1/2% lower than analysts projected and buisnesses all over are closing down and jobs are being lost by the millions right now because of the policies of the last 8 years.

Man up, W was shit.

Kerry was a shitty pick,Carter was a bad president,Clinton got a blowjob.

Im not as liberal as you might think,discussing differing opinions in an intelligent fashion rather than all these garbage topics would be interesting is all im saying.

Most of the people who come in here are republicans and I expect some level of disagreement but what has gone on in here lately is just lame.

Tear it down and start over and hold people accountable for their posts in here.

a fine an example of a man with a paper asshole or one wh talks our of his ass! the economy has gone to the shitter the past 2 years while the dems have controled congress, the real power is congress not the executive branch. Get real Dan!

a fine an example of a man with a paper asshole or one wh talks our of his ass! the economy has gone to the shitter the past 2 years while the dems have controled congress, the real power is congress not the executive branch. Get real Dan!

T,

Go read a book before you talk to me.

The amount of intelligence you have couldnt fill a shot glass.

Your infantile posts are one of the biggest reasons nobody comes here anymore.

oh you are the great one! just try reading your crap its hard enough. should i tremble from your worthless use of words?

The trouble is, libs must control things to be "elitist", and without that control,

they are lost. It's indicative of the lack of self-actualization in their development, or lack thereof, years.

They will be negative about absolutely everything, and adopt anti-status quo allegiances regardless of flagrant

hypocrisy, because their allegiance is based on emotional reactions to not belonging.

In Maslow's hierarchy of needs, belonging to a group was high on the list. It gives people a security

of worth to belong. It's a basic psychological need.

Now, when certain people do not feel like they belong in any significant way, they become hateful, negative,

and emotionally obstinate in the face of logical disagreement with their emotions. Hence, they end up

being against everything that is status quo.

Like: Heterosexual marriage, conservatism, the military, any Republican in office, any board they cannot dominate,

the Bible, God, the right for unborn children to live, SUV's, pickup trucks (but never a word about semi's - those ship

liberal books to them), belief in ones country, free speech (the attempt to bring back the so-called "Fairness Doctrine" and the few calls to shut down this board because they can't control dissent or criticism of THEIR CANDIDATE..., the freedom and RIGHT to own guns, private ownershipof property, and capitalism, and laws making some drugs illegal, even the pursuit and observation of terrorists...

campfires, hunting/fishing, fireplaces, the generation of electricity by coal, or atomic energy, the heating of homes

by anything other than solar (good luck Northern U.S.A., or anybody who dares cross them over manmade goober warning...

They will attack it every time.

sound familiar? It's what they do. They are weak, emotionally heyl-bent to oppose... everything. They can't help it,

emotionalism comes with the lack of self-actualization.

Complaints about every single venue, every single person, who is NOT like them. And the desire to eliminate

every single person's right to disagree, because it shuts down their desperate attempts to remain elitist, emotionally.

And in it's place?

They have no idea. But whatever it is, they have to be negatively dominant.

Archived