THE BROWNS BOARD

Your Top 5

Guest Aloysius

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll pass on Curry. The competition he faced was weak. He faced only two offenses in the nation that finished in the top 50 in total offense - Baylor and Mississippi; and faced only 5 teams in the top 50 in scoring offense - Bu, Ole Miss, Navy, Miami and Florida State. (BU, Ole Miss and Navy were non-conference opponents) Navy (66th), FSU (54th) and Miami (89th) finished outside of the top 50 in total offense.

In a conference with 12 teams, they could only place two teams in the top 50 in scoring offense (Florida State, Maimi who tied for 50th) and none in total offense out of 119 FBS teams. (Which tells me FSU's and Miami's offenses were not that great, they were just put in great position to score a lot)

Sorry guys, Curry may be impressive, but it's not like he was playing against offensive juggernauts over there in the ACC.

Meanwhile, Maualuga faced -

Top 50 Scoring offense - Oregon, Penn State, Arizona, Cal, Oregon State, Ohio State (with Stanford lurking outside at 54th)

With five of those teams inside the top 50 Total offenses - Oregon, Penn State, arizona, Oregon State, Cal

When we start getting into the top-30, the disparity in competition grows.

Curry may be THAT good, but it's hard to tell based on the teams he played.

Similarly, Matt Ryan wasn't worth a top 5 pick because he played against bad ACC defenses.

Top-50 scoring defenses Ryan faced his senior year (2007) - Va Tech (3rd), Clemson (T-10th), Georgia Tech (21st) Maryland (24th), Wake Forrest (28th), Florida State (34th), (Miami was 52nd, 0.1 behind 48th)

Top-50 total defense - Va Tech (4th), Clemson (9th), Georgia tech (20th), Wake Forrest (27th), Miami (33rd), Maryland (40th), Florida State (42nd)

Not sure what you are talking about here.

Again, I am not saying Curry won't be great, but I am on the fence on him and I believe a more natural ILB is needed. I also believe people are underrating Maualuga. I know there was one guy who is from LA who says he follows USC but living in Tucson, following andcovering the Pac-10 and watching most of these players through their entire college experience, I too have had the ability to watch Maualuga closely and there is no doubt in my mind that he will be an outstanding pro. Some of the on-field stuff he is getting criticized for (playing off his teammates, out of position etc., ) is stuff that is news to me. Talk to any of the USC players or staff and they will tell you the heart of that Defense is Maualuga and Mays. Not Cushing, not Matthews. In fact, the hard on people have for Matthews has to be because of his name only./ The guy wasn't even starting entering this year. He's a slower and slightly more powerful version of Wimbley. Good player, but needs good coaching to help him grow in the NFL.

Now, of course, any one of these guys can live up to, exceed or fail to meet their expectations. Reality is that this is a complete crapshoot when it comes to fans evaluating this stuff. Any one of the guys the Browns draft may or may not be the answer at that position and may or may not be good for the Browns. This is just what I have taken from my observations.

Guest Aloysius

Touche with the team stats.

But as I mentioned when you brought up this argument the first time, Oregon State and Florida State's offenses were close to statistically even, yet Curry rocked against FSU and Maualuga looked like Andra Davis against the Beavers. So I don't really but the bad ACC offenses argument.

More generally, I think watching a prospect closely is far more important than generalizing about his level of competition. Based on your claim that your having been at numerous Arizona practices gives you special provenance on Mike Thomas, I imagine you'd agree to the same.

How is Aaron curry not a natural ILB? He has the size, speed and instincts for the position. Mauluga has the size and speed, and played for a team that the media is always on their knees for. I don't think Mauluga will be a huge bust, just that he isn't the right pick for the browns, especially at 5th overall. We need someone to step in and make an impact from day one.

We already have a linebacker who is big and fast that possesses sub-par instincts, Leon Williams.

How is Aaron curry not a natural ILB? He has the size, speed and instincts for the position. Mauluga has the size and speed, and played for a team that the media is always on their knees for. I don't think Mauluga will be a huge bust, just that he isn't the right pick for the browns, especially at 5th overall. We need someone to step in and make an impact from day one.

We already have a linebacker who is big and fast that possesses sub-par instincts, Leon Williams.

Wow you completely lose credibility comparing Leon Williams to Rey Maualuga.

Either way, as much as Curry COULD play inside, he is best suited outside, which is still a need so I wouldn't be pissed if we went that way, but he isn't my top choice.

What makes you think Maualuga will be a bust? He plays out of position? Do you realize how many college players have that label coming out of college?

As long as we have a coach that preaches discipline and demands full effort from his players, maualuga would be fine here.

What concerns me about Curry is that he has this freakish potential and played OLB but only combined to have a grand total of 8.5 sacks in his three years playing significant time. Meawhile, from the middle LB position, Maualuga recorded eight sacks in 06 and 07 before going sackless this season.

Maualuga is a guy who plays the middle, so while he CAN pass rush, being the anchor in the middle required him to be more of a run stopper in USC's defense.

I guess what I am saying is that both players are very comparable. i just think that Maualuga has proven more from his position given his responsibilities.

I am not saying that Rey Mauluga is Leon, or that Rey will be a bust. What I am saying is we need to draft someone that not only is physically impressive, but also has a head for the game. Curry fits that more so than Rey.

Also, I thought the term "sackless" was funny.

Guest Aloysius

Curry's best position in a 3-4 is definitely ILB, not OLB (though he could play both).

And based on watching a lot of Curry this year, I'd say that his low sack totals are a function of not rushing a lot. Though he's not a particularly refined pass-rusher, his skills in coverage (4 INT's in '07, 3 returned for TD's) are the real reason why his sack totals are relatively low.

And if you're going to bring up stats, I'd ask you about Rey's stats this year, particularly his low TFL total. That, to me, is more disconcerting than Curry's sack totals.

I agree with you there on the Curry Analysis AZBrowns, We can refer to what Pioli said recently in an interview that your 1st and 2nd round guys should be able to come in and contribute right away and if Curry has a big learning curve to have to overcome then you just screwed away your pick.

We have had enough projects in here and need someone who can step in and take charge. Someone who is smart and can read offenses not someone who has a brain fart and and cant menatlly catch up to NFL game speed. Maualuga can be that guy who can be a starter from day 1.

I am not saying that Rey Mauluga is Leon, or that Rey will be a bust. What I am saying is we need to draft someone that not only is physically impressive, but also has a head for the game. Curry fits that more so than Rey.

Also, I thought the term "sackless" was funny.

LOL, I'm surprised I didn't catch that myself before posting.

How do you know Rey's TFL shortage isnt beiong affected by a few things, things like...

a. The talent around him starting in a better position on the ball.

b. Dropping back or to the side in zone coverage.

c. A man coverage assignment.

d. The effectiveness of the pass rushers.

e. The opposing offense comepletely focusing on stopping Rey and letting the other players on the Trojans D slip through

Curry's best position in a 3-4 is definitely ILB, not OLB (though he could play both).

And based on watching a lot of Curry this year, I'd say that his low sack totals are a function of not rushing a lot. Though he's not a particularly refined pass-rusher, his skills in coverage (4 INT's in '07, 3 returned for TD's) are the real reason why his sack totals are relatively low.

And if you're going to bring up stats, I'd ask you about Rey's stats this year, particularly his low TFL total. That, to me, is more disconcerting than Curry's sack totals.

Maualuga injured his knee against Oregon State in the third game of the year, missed the Oregon game the following week and played through a banged up knee the rest of the season. That had a lot to do with Mauauluga's dropping stats, including his sacks and TFL's.

I agree with you there on the Curry Analysis AZBrowns, We can refer to what Pioli said recently in an interview that your 1st and 2nd round guys should be able to come in and contribute right away and if Curry has a big learning curve to have to overcome then you just screwed away your pick.

We have had enough projects in here and need someone who can step in and take charge. Someone who is smart and can read offenses not someone who has a brain fart and and cant menatlly catch up to NFL game speed. Maualuga can be that guy who can be a starter from day 1.

I will say this for Curry, he worked well for Wake Forrest as a project. He came in as a 205 pound, skinny, two-star DE and built his frame up and improved as a player. However, the other side of that is when a player already improves that much in four years, how much better he can really get?

Guest Aloysius
Maualuga injured his knee against Oregon State in the third game of the year, missed the Oregon game the following week and played through a banged up knee the rest of the season. That had a lot to do with Mauauluga's dropping stats, including his sacks and TFL's.

That may be true, along with the stuff Playground & Shep brought up. But the real concern for me is how Rey played in the Oregon State game before he got hurt.

curry's responsibilities playing ILB in the 3-4 would be very similar to what he did in the 4-3: stop the run, play the middle of the field if we play zone, cover RBs and TEs, all things he's proven he can do. he wouldn't be a project, wouldn't really even be learning a new position. he'd have the same responsibilities as before; he'd just be executing them from a different spot on the field. there's no way can't come in and contribute right away.

@ az: you make a great point about maualuga's injury. i'd forgotten about that. definitely slowed him down. shows a lot of toughness to play through it all season. definitely a point in his favor.

@ shep: other teams scheming to stop him explains why i heard everyone else's names called when i watched USC play.

it's good that we can even have this debate, though. it definitely raises the chances of us getting a great player.

I will say this for Curry, he worked well for Wake Forrest as a project. He came in as a 205 pound, skinny, two-star DE and built his frame up and improved as a player. However, the other side of that is when a player already improves that much in four years, how much better he can really get?

it shows, though, that he's willing to learn and to do whatever it takes to succeed. there's no downside to that.

And if some scouts claim a guy hasn't gotten any better in the four years he's been at USC, how much better can he get?

I admit I have watched more Maualuga than Curry in the last four years, but I don't know a single Pac-10 coach or scout who believes for one second that Maualuga got worse. In fact, most coaches (I know for a fact that Arizona OC Sonny Dykes schemed away from Maualuga and Willie Tuitama would not throw the ball to Robert Gronkowski, a future NFL TE who could be a first round pick next season, because they didn't want to give Maualuga a chance to make plays.) in the Pac-10 scheme away from that guy.

One scout I talked to called Maualuga the Troy Polamalu of LB's.

Curry reminds me of Derrick Brooks.. Kind of a complete backer...good skills in all areas.

I like Rey, but the only reason I shy away from him a bit is he seems like a boom or bust player. He is either going to be really good or something is always going to nag him....I also see him more of a MLB in a 4-3...to be honest, I am not sure he is disciplined enough to be a 3-4 middle backer...they have to maintain position a bit more and he seems like a free ranger....I think he needs a 4-3 in the NFL.

it shows, though, that he's willing to learn and to do whatever it takes to succeed. there's no downside to that.

I can see that for sure.

I just wonder about Curry.... While many people wonder if Maualuga is the benificiary of the talent around him, I wonder if Curry didn't explode on to the scene because of the offenses he has faced.

Maybe they'll both be great, maybe they will both suck. who knows?

Guest Aloysius

Here's an interesting comment made by Brent "SOBO" Sobleski:

What I'm finding out very quickly is that Maualuga is a product of his own highlight reels and too many are biting hook line and sinker.

Now that's not to say I wouldn't like the kid on this team but he's just not a legit option anymore with the Browns once again drafting in the top 5. If we traded down, then some interest would pique again, but right now those highlight reel hits are gaining him a lot of fans in Cleveland.

What's bothered me, and what bothers me with a lot of prospects, is that there has seemed to be no apparent development in his game. He started out solid this year, the knee got dinged. and he hasn't been that dominant force I expected. Would I mind having him? No, not at all. Still like his game and he would be a good fit in the 34 where he'd have less to read and less room to cover. That said, he's proven himself not to be a top 5 pick.

Let's not be suckers for the highlight reel crap/self-generated noise.

I mean, Terrell Owens gets way more air time than Andre Johnson, but who would you rather be throwing to?

Point being, for a team like this that has some serious needs, I'll take a versatile, steady, highly-regarded professional over a guy with a handful of highlight-reel plays, some (supposed) disappearing acts, and "humorous" antics.

Look, I'm not gonna go all rich/Ghoolie on us if we take Rey over Curry, I'm just liking Curry more at the moment.

Point being, for a team like this that has some serious needs, I'll take a versatile, steady, highly-regarded professional over a guy with a handful of highlight-reel plays, some (supposed) disappearing acts, and "humorous" antics.

Look, I'm not gonna go all rich/Ghoolie on us if we take Rey over Curry, I'm just liking Curry more at the moment.

One think about Mangini, he believes in taking guys with high character. I also like Curry. With all the Jrs. now coming out Curry is the only one holding his spot in the Top 5. With all the QB deficient teams in the top of the draft, I think Rey could drop out of the top ten or at least to 10.

Archived