THE BROWNS BOARD

Your Top 5

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Here's a good clip of Kiper & McShay talking about their top five draft prospects:

After watching it, I started thinking about who would be on my top 5 list of guys I'd want us to take with the 5th pick.

Here's what I came up with:

1. Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest

2. Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

3. Taylor Mays, S, USC

4. Aaron Maybin, DE-OLB, Penn State

5. Malcolm Jenkins, CB-S, OSU
Maybin at #4 is more of a placeholder than a real ranking. I haven't watched enough of him to declare confidently where I'll rank him, but I'm guessing he'll be somewhere in the middle of my top 10 options.

Who are your top 5 guys?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's a good clip of Kiper & McShay talking about their top five draft prospects:

After watching it, I started thinking about who would be on my top 5 list of guys I'd want us to take with the 5th pick.

Here's what I came up with:

1. Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest

2. Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

3. Taylor Mays, S, USC

4. Aaron Maybin, DE-OLB, Penn State

5. Malcolm Jenkins, CB-S, OSU
Maybin at #4 is more of a placeholder than a real ranking. I haven't watched enough of him to declare confidently where I'll rank him, but I'm guessing he'll be somewhere in the middle of my top 10 options.

Who are your top 5 guys?

FUN stuff Aloy. Where did Heckofajobbrownie go to? I'd swear you and him were the same guy Aloy - that's a compliment. He was a real draft guru and really made this place fun pre draft. Last year he said Flugel watch these highlights of Matt Ryan - he's the best pick in the draft. Guess what???? He was the best pick in the draft.

Anyway, here's my top 5:

1) Taylor Mays

2) Aaron Curry

3) Knowshon Moreno

4) Andre Smith

5) Michael Crabtree

If Percy Harvin comes out - he goes to #4 and Crabtree slides to #6.

- Tom F.

hey guys, im new to the board but long time browns fan.

back to the topic, here's my top 5 for the browns:

1.Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest

2.Aaron Maybin, DE-OLB, Penn State

3. Rey Malaluga, ILB, USC

4.Malcolm Jenkins, CB-S, OSU

5.Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

i put Crabtree at 5 only cause we really need Defense and i put Rey above Malcolm Jenkins just because i dont feel we need another young corner, Davon Holly will be back next year and id really like to target a vetren one in free agency. (Oaklands Corner would be my dream choice even if i cant spell his name)

Guest Aloysius

Welcome to the board, JDaWg.

FUN stuff Aloy. Where did Heckofajobbrownie go to? I'd swear you and him were the same guy Aloy - that's a compliment. He was a real draft guru and really made this place fun pre draft. Last year he said Flugel watch these highlights of Matt Ryan - he's the best pick in the draft. Guess what???? He was the best pick in the draft.

Yeah, Heck's a real draft guru. He's the Kiper to my McShay: he knows more, but I look better on camera.

DEFENSE! DEFENSE! DEFENSE!

Here are my top 5 picks.

1. Orakpo

2. Curry (1 & 2 are interchangeable. I'll be happy with either one of them.)

3. Maualuga

4. Jenkins

5. Beanie

I really would love to see Beanie in C-town. I think he'll be a stud in the NFL. But the #5 pick is too high for any RB in this draft and for our needs. I think we need to go defense and get a pass rusher 1st! If none is available (I doubt that will be the case), then CB would be okay. Getting a pass rusher will automatically make our existing DB's better! As of right now, we have NO pass rush!

Guest Masters

After watching Mike Mayocks break down, I go Aaron Curry. Guy projects to be able to play inside or outside in a 3-4, and CLE could certainly use that versatility.

The reason It might be Crabtree is BE's only got 1 year left under contract and we aren't going to resign him in uncapped year. imo

I want :

1). Rey

2). Jenkins

3). Curry

4). Crabtree

5). Orakpo

P.S. BE also wants endorsements,loves self, hates Clev, feels resentment, and has aligator arms across the middle!

1. curry

2. orakpo

3. crabtree

4. malcolm jenkins

5. knowshon moreno

this was a tough list to compile. i honestly think that if curry's gone at five but crabtree's there, we find someone, anyone, who wants him and trade down with them. curry, to me, is the only guy who's worth our pick now that mays isn't declaring.

in the event mays does leave USC, though, he's in at two.

people around here seem to have forgotten about moreno in all the wells talk. he's similar to harrison insofar as he's small, but smaller RBs are fine, especially in a RBBC.

jenkins, though a great prospect, doesn't address our most immediate needs. he'll likely be a great player, and could be a valuable piece for us. if we get 'stuck' with him, i'd be fine with it, but he's not a linebacker, can't rush the passer, and isn't a running back. we have other positions in far worse shape.

picking the fifth guy was tough. it could easily also be wells, maualuga or brandon spikes. wells, like moreno, would be great in a RBBC. it would limit his touches and, we would hope, keep him healthy. and while maualuga is no curry, he'll be decent at worst. even if he overruns plays at times, he'll still be a decent NFL LB at worst. spikes is an interesting option, too. all he does is play well. his measurables aren't great, but he makes enough plays to warrant consideration.

ultimately, it's curry or trade down (if possible). to me, he's the only guy at five that brings enough value to the table.

1) Maualuga

2) Maualuga

3) Orapko

4) Orapko

5) Mays

I'm not so sure about Curry. IMHO, we need an inside LB more than an outside LB. I'll be extremely disappointed if we draft offense with our first pick, because our defense is crap, can never stop anyone when it matters.

NOT a rey fan jewdag?

I think rey may still be there at 8, 9 or 10

might be worth the risk to trade down, get the extra pick, if Rey is gone, there still is going to be some good talent left. We have to figure in at least one if not two OT will be taken, maybe a QB.

I think there is plenty of talent in the top 10 for us to chose from.

Here is my top 5 and could change after the combine, but this is off the top of my head.

1) Malcolm Jenkins

2) James Laurinaitis

3) Rey Maualuga

4) Michael Crabtree

5) Brian Orakpo

Sorry no Curry unless you could pick him in the 3rd round he plays to much like Wimbley, Mel Kiper is not a genius. I prefer to listen to Mike Mayock off of the NFL Network.

NOT a rey fan jewdag?

living in california, i'm subjected to obscene amounts of USC. the vast, vast majority of the time, rey didn't do anything to impress me. he runs around a lot and is quite active, but he doesn't really seem to make any major plays. he make some of the plays that a competent middle linebacker should, but not all of them. and when he does make a play, he celebrates like he just discovered fire.

maybe that's partly because he belongs in a 3-4 more than a 4-3. it's possible that a scheme shift would play to his strengths more than what he's been playing in and make him look like a better player. however, he's not a good enough player to warrant the fifth pick when there's someone who's more fundamentally sound and regularly makes big plays.

like diesel suggested, trading down to the 8-10 area and still getting him while coming up with extra picks, to me, is a more palatable scenario. i would still prefer a more consistent player, though. if we trade down that far, i might suggest going even further if we can and taking brandon spikes, a guy who's somewhat similar to d'qwell but is still a good player.

Here is my top 5 and could change after the combine, but this is off the top of my head.

1) Malcolm Jenkins

2) James Laurinaitis

3) Rey Maualuga

4) Michael Crabtree

5) Brian Orakpo

Sorry no Curry unless you could pick him in the 3rd round he plays to much like Wimbley, Mel Kiper is not a genius. I prefer to listen to Mike Mayock off of the NFL Network.

the same mike mayock who has curry listed as his top overall senior and laurinaitis at 9 and maualuga at seven? check the list.

Guest Aloysius
I think rey may still be there at 8, 9 or 10

My guess: the earliest Maualuga will be taken is pick #12. Assuming that Mike Nolan will be moving the Broncos to a 3-4, Maualuga would be a decent fit for them.

But I can't see any of the teams picking 6-11 taking him. Jacksonville could, but they have much bigger needs than ILB. The Niners also could be an option, but only if Takeo Spikes signs elsewhere.

you mean the first navy game where he hadn't seen the triple option before or the second one where he'd learned how to properly defense it and made tackle after tackle? you're also forgetting florida state, ole miss, clemson, maryland, miami, virginia, NC state and boston college. did he play texas or USC every week? no. but neither did maualuga or laurinaitis. hell, laurinaitis likely had the easiest schedule of all. he plays in the big 10, and, aside from USC, tressel only schedules complete cupcakes for out of conference games.

and the only thing that maualuga's proven is that he's wildly inconsistent.

i'll give you both jenkins and laurinaitis as consistent players, but lil' animal's not a good fit for the 3-4. it's the same problem that jonathan vilma had. some guys can excel in the 3-4, some can't.

the same mike mayock who has curry listed as his top overall senior and laurinaitis at 9 and maualuga at seven? check the list.

Man, I have to say as an avid Buckeye fan....I can't stand laurinitis....the most over-hyped prospect I can remember. I don't think he even warrants a first round grade...he makes more tackles than Andra Davis 5-7 yards downfield! I hope I'm wrong but rarely on LB's~!

you mean the first navy game where he hadn't seen the triple option before or the second one where he'd learned how to properly defense it and made tackle after tackle?

and the only thing that maualuga's proven is that he's wildly inconsistent.

i'll give you both jenkins and laurinaitis as consistent players, but lil' animal's not a good fit for the 3-4. it's the same problem that jonathan vilma had. some guys can excel in the 3-4, some can't.

Out of curiousity.... why would Laurinaitis not excell in the 3-4?

Out of curiosity.... why would Laurinaitis not excel in the 3-4?

he doesn't get off blocks well and needs guys in front of him to take on o-linemen. he's perfect for a 4-3, particularly a tampa 2, where he'd excel as either the MLB or WLB. his coverage ability is also a better fit for the 4-3; he could easily blanket a RB or TE or play a zone and take away short throws.

the kid's got great instincts and a feel for the game; his play against texas, particularly his blitzes and screen recognition, impressed me.

unfortunately, he's not stout enough at the point of attack and got manhandled by college linemen in the run game. without a fourth d-lineman to keep him clean, he'll get mauled in the NFL.

he doesn't get off blocks well and needs guys in front of him to take on o-linemen. he's perfect for a 4-3, particularly a tampa 2, where he'd excel as either the MLB or WLB. his coverage ability is also a better fit for the 4-3; he could easily blanket a RB or TE or play a zone and take away short throws.

the kid's got great instincts and a feel for the game; his play against texas, particularly his blitzes and screen recognition, impressed me.

unfortunately, he's not stout enough at the point of attack and got manhandled by college linemen in the run game. without a fourth d-lineman to keep him clean, he'll get mauled in the NFL.

6' 4" 240 not big enough? he is bigger than the fan favorite Curry

6' 4" 240 not big enough? he is bigger than the fan favorite Curry

It isn't all about measurables, the way he plays is that he has a tough time working through blockers at the point of attack. He could play in a 3-4, but in the same role as D'Qwell. We need someone who is fast, instinctive and can lay the wood. Curry is all of those. Laurinitais would be best suited as an OLB in a 4-3.

Archived