THE BROWNS BOARD

East-West Shrine Game

Guest Aloysius

*edit*

I called Sutton overrated but meant underrated. The guy slayed records at Hoban and still garnered very little recruiting from the big wigs, then dominated the High School All Star games.

Jimmy T recruited freaking Maurice Wells over this kid!!!!!!!!!!!!

Picture what an Akron backfield of Pittman, Wells and Sutton would have been over the years.

Northwestern is a great grooming ground for backs in the NFL. Jason Wright is a perfect example of a guy with limited abilities with all the intangibles. Sutton is the same way but a much greater player.

Watch some film of Sutton if you can find it Shep, Sutton's an every down back that can do it all. I'm a big Harrison guy, but don't be fooled by Sutton's size, he's a power back with all around skills.

Who says you have to quantify RB's anyway. If they can play, they can play. Old man Lewis will still be around to do whatever it is that he's supposed to do.

I see keeping 4 backs next year.

Guest Aloysius

The guys at nfldraftscout actually use Harrison as their player comparison for Sutton.

Here's a report from Wednesday's practices:

Quarterbacks

Hunter Cantwell/Louisville: Cantwell had his best practice of the week and looked better than any of the passers from the East squad. His accuracy improved and he threw several nice deep passes, getting the ball in front of receivers. Today Cantwell showed the arm strength people were expecting.

Chase Daniel/Missouri: Daniel was described by some as "crafty". He shows the ability to get outside the pocket and create opportunities. Daniel loses little in the way of arm strength or accuracy passing on the move and threw some nice passes. Unfortunately he would come back then make some head scratching tosses later on.

Wide Receivers/Tight End

Aaron Kelly/Clemson: Kelly has looked good the past two days but really stood out on Wednesday. Kelly looked smooth into pass routes and made several nice catches. He got vertical against defenders and fought for the ball, consistently snatching passes from the air.

Marko Mitchell/Nevada: After a strong start Mitchell was not very impressive during the weeks most important day. As someone put it he looked like a JAG today and was slow into route besides dropping some passes.

Brian Mandeville/Northeastern: Mandeville has looks smooth all week. He weighed in at 255-pounds and looks almost skinny he's so well proportioned. Mandeville was fluid into his routes, showed good hands and most encouragingly blocked well today.

David Johnson/Arkansas State: Johnson has not had a good week and after weighing in over 270-pounds, has looked heavy and slow on the field.

Defensive Linemen

Matt Shaughnessy: Shaugnessy showed plenty of speed and pass rush moves today, getting off the ball and up the field.

Pannel Egboh/Stanford: Egboh was a major disappointment and had a bad showing. He looked soft, stiff and showed little-to-no explosion. Egboh made a long drop down draft boards as a result of his showing in Houston.

Linebackers

Johnny Williams/Kentucky: Williams showed a lot of speed on the field today and really stood out in coverage. Brian Mandeville and Hunter Cantwell commented that Williams has been one of the toughest defenders on the field to beat.

Jasper Brinkley/South Carolina: Brinkley looked good today and showed well against the pass and run. He's a well built linebacker with tremendous size and good movement skills.

Jason Phillips/TCU: Scouts were excited to see Phillips but the TCU 'backer was a disappointment. He struggled all week and the consensus is his draft stock took a beating.

Defensive Backs

Ryan Mouton/Hawaii: The multi-versatile Mouton lined up at cornerback and looked solid every day to the point where a number of people thought he was the best corner on the field all week.

Glover Quin/New Mexico: Quin looked solid as a last minute replacement. He was physical, played aggressive and on one play took out Sammie Stroughter defending a pass.

Notes: The overall talent at this game is below par. Many feel no more than ten players on this roster are Senior Bowl worthy and most of the Shrine Game participants who are drafted will be late round selections. Hands down the winner of the week was San Jose State defensive lineman Jarron Gilbert. He's physically impressive with a huge wing span. Gilbert was aggressive and made plays all week. Don't be surprised if he jumps into the draft's initial three rounds now.

Guest Aloysius
Hands down the winner of the week was San Jose State defensive lineman Jarron Gilbert. He's physically impressive with a huge wing span. Gilbert was aggressive and made plays all week. Don't be surprised if he jumps into the draft's initial three rounds now.

I've seen Gilbert compared to Baltimore's Trevor Pryce. Sounds like he's the kind of athletic d-lineman WPB & others have been calling for us to bring in.

Guest Aloysius

No problem. Here's some more:

• I overheard two scouts from an AFC team talking about how relatively underwhelmed they've been with Cincinnati CB Brandon Underwood.

• Northwestern RB Tyrell Sutton is thicker than you would expect in his lower body. He may be short, but he's not slightly built. Sutton showed nice burst on several outside zone plays and he caught the ball well out of the backfield.

• Missouri DE Stryker Sulak doesn't look physically imposing on the field, but he has been fairly consistent with his pass rushing and his ability to compete for the edge against the tackles he's faced.

• San Jose State defensive lineman Jarron Gilbert is tall at 6'6 and plays a little bit high sometime, but he's a good athlete for his size and looks like a perfect fit in a 3-4 as a DE. He got into a mini-scuffle with BYU OG Ray Feinga.

• UH DE Phillip Hunt was working on practicing hand technique he had been taught during practice whenever he wasn't participating in drills.

Guest Aloysius

"mini-scuffle" means he's not fighting a real teammate or someone outside a strip club. Some scouts actually like seeing the blood boil at these practices. Last year, Red Bryant staged a fight at the Senior Bowl in order to dispel rumors that he played without intensity.

Not sure I buy the "it's actually a positive" argument, but it shouldn't raise a character red flag.

Guest Aloysius

More reports from the draftguys:

• Chase Daniel(Missouri) continued to play like two different QBs. In the pocket on dropback throws, he was erratic, sometimes being right on, sometimes missing because the ball sailed over the intended target, and sometimes missing short. His release point is also close to shoulder high, which is not encouraging. On the other hand, when Chase breaks the pocket or starts in the shotgun, he has much better feel, making throws with good timing and accuracy on the move and generally letting the play tell him what to do instead of pressing. We confirmed the 6’0” height measured at the weigh-in - it’s just deceptive because Daniel has short legs for a six footer. It’s hard to imagine Daniel as anything more than a late round/UDFA long term project at this point.

• Brian Hoyer(Michigan State) was the East QB with the most zip on his passes for the third straight day. His tight spiral drew praise from the East coaches. He also threw a nice deep ball, coming down in a very catchable cylinder. Hoyer was very inconsistent and seemed to lose his edge in 11 on 11, the best simulation of game conditions in the practices.

• Tyrell Sutton(Northwestern) also found small creases in the line on stretch plays and instinctively got small through the hole. After three solid days catching the ball out of the backfield, we can also say that he’s definitely over his wrist injury.

• Aaron Kelly(Clemson) had maybe the best single performance of any WR during today’s practice. He ran very crisp routes for a receiver of any size, exceptionally crisp for a long limbed 6’5” passcatcher. He also flashed good burst out of a double move and good throttle down on a comeback route. In fact, Kelly created separation on most every route, once again very impressive for a wide receiver whose best tool seems to be his size. His ball tracking over the shoulder was on point and his hands seemed to get even better at full extension - not to mention he caught almost everything once again on more ordinary plays. He turned Marshall safety CJ Spillman completely around on one route and effortlessly elevated for a TD pass from Chase Daniel in the corner of the end zone in one of the plays of the practice. Kelly looks like he could easily add 15-20 pounds to his frame and he could be one of the surprise stars of the ‘09 Shrine Game class when we look back in a few years. His performance today was very reminiscent of Marques Colston’s three years ago at the Shrine Game.

• Alex Boone(OT-Ohio State) showed decent footwork at times, but he couldn’t handle the Sidbury spin and he was also beaten by one of the two Canadian imports in the 2009 Shrine Game.

• Seth Olsen(OG-Iowa) absorbed Clinton McDonald and had another solid all around day in the pit.

• Jamon Meredith(OT-South Carolina) delivered his punch with a jolt that no East OL could match. He should be the highest drafted offensive lineman on either squad.

• Lawrence Sidbury(DE-Richmond) successfully flashed his patent spin move to beat Alex Boone in the pit, and once again his first step explosion and raw materials as a pass rusher were apparent. He also engulfed Tyrell Sutton coming down the line in run support during 11 on 11s. His game is far from polished, but in a league hungry for pass rushers, he will be one of the first small school players off the board in April.

• Myron Pryor(DT-Kentucky) replaced Sammie Lee Hill (Stillman) and showed up ready to make an impact. His spin move was surprisingly crisp for a big man, although he lost his feet trying to pull it off once. Like McDonald, his energy is easy to see from the sidelines and he uses his hands to shed blocks very well, including once vs. Matt Slauson (OG-Nebraska) that looked too easy.

• Jasper Brinkley(ILB-South Carolina) again made a few impact plays - shooting the gap to blow up a run play and forcing a Chase Daniel fumble at the goal line with a crushing blow, but his natural instincts diagnosing run plays mostly took him out of the play instead into the mix.

• Mortty Ivy(LB-West Virginia) instinctively got lower than Tyrell Sutton on a run play, which makes us think he can get lower just about any RB at impact.

• Bradley Fletcher(DB-Iowa) was aggressive when the ball was in the air and just made plays for the third straight day. His play recognition was excellent, peeling off his man to make plays when the ball was thrown to his side of the field.

Guest Aloysius

Workouts are going to kill Kelly's draft stock. Scouts think he's both too skinny & too slow. And last time I checked, it's pretty hard to improve your 40 time while also trying to pack on 15-20 pounds.

nfldraftscout projects that he'll be a late Round 5/early Round 6 pick.

good. anything that keeps other teams away from him gets us that much closer to him. a #2 receiver doesn't need blazing speed; he just needs to be able to separate from a DB and make the catch. whether he separates by using his speed or his body doesn't matter. he just needs to be able to make the catch.

it also sounds like seth olsen might be playing himself into a nice payday and that bradley fletcher might play himself into the draft.

Hey, I like Hubbard!

I think he's gonna be good next year. I watched a lot of tape on that guy. He's such a fluid athlete and he hands-caught everything. I know he gets the dropsies once in a while, but he didn't get that many looks in the Badger offense.

I like him.

I do too! I've watched a lot as well. That size and speed just can't be taught. But you are right....He at times looks likes his hands are made of rock. But as an Athlete I think he's a freak. I'd love to see him get a chance at some PT.

Guest Aloysius

Just a little more:

• Gartrell Johnson(RB-Colorado State) has a good enough burst to hang in the NFL. His no nonsense hard charging style is apparent on every carry and he looks like he hold up under NFL punishment. He’ll never be anointed the back of the future, but with the NFL RB injury frequency, we’ll see him tote the rock in the big league at some point.

• Aaron Brown(RB-TCU) had a few more nice runs where he wove through traffic and showed his excellent hands out of the backfield. He also returned kicks at the end of practice. Brown has the look of a good swiss army knife back at the next level

• Jarrett Dillard(WR-Rice) continued to break down defensive backs (except Ryan Palmer on a few plays) and he high pointed a fade for an easy TD to end the practice session. His 40 time won’t be where the scouts like to see it, which means he’ll be a second day steal for someone.

• Sammie Stroughter(WR-Oregon State) looked like a veteran out there once again. He made a terrific catch on a poorly thrown ball, backpedaling and getting both feet in (actually three) even though his back was to the sideline. He’s a solid player who won’t put up great combine numbers, but like Dillard, he’ll outperform his draft position.

• Jarron Gilbert(DT-San Jose State) was once again dominant at times, and he impressed us with his leverage and ability to play low even though he’s 6’6”. His stock is on the rise.

• Phillip Hunt(DE-Houston) showed us those natural pass rush instincts and executed the best hump move of the week in the pit.

• Jason Williams(OLB-Western Illinois) has been the best linebacker on the West squad all week and made a terrific play to read a run play and knife through a gap drawing kudos from the coaching staff.

Guest Aloysius
  • Jason Williams(OLB-Western Illinois) has been the best linebacker on the West squad all week and made a terrific play to read a run play and knife through a gap drawing kudos from the coaching staff.

Williams is a very interesting small school prospect. He goes 6'1", 241 lbs. and is expected to run a 4.6 40.

This week, he's shown ability covering the TE & some pop playing inside. He forced 6 fumbles this year & has notched 30 TFL's over the past two. He's also made a few mental errors this week, but it's possible that those could be a function of subpar small school coaching.

nfldraftscout projects that Williams will be taken in the 4th Round. If we were to sign a guy like Eric Barton in FA, Williams would be one of the guys we'd consider taking on Day Two.

Other Day Two ILB's to consider:

• Zack Follett, OLB, Cal
    • - played OLB in Cal's 3-4, but he could be a Ted Bruschi-type inside
Mortty Ivy, OLB, West Virginia
  • - plays bigger than his size (6'2", 239 lbs.)
Worrell Williams, Cal
  • - a poor man's D'Qwell Jackson
Frantz Joseph, Florida Atlantic
  • - thumper type; reminds me of Desmond Bishop, a guy we almost drafted in '07
Jasper Brinkley, USC
  • - jumbo linebacker has had trouble recognizing plays this week
Robert Francois, Boston College
  • - all of BC's linebackers were great this year

Guest Aloysius

Some good final thoughts from The National Football Post:

– Rice WR Jarett Dillard: Continues to catch the ball and make plays. Hard to overlook his slight stature, but he reminds me of Davone Bess or Shaun McDonald (without his top-end speed) as he has the ability to make catches in tight quarters and then slip out of danger and gain extra yardage. If he can produce a surprising 40 time, he could move into mid-round range.

– South Carolina OL Jamon Meredith: Really has worked his way back up to potentially being the highest-rated player taken from this year’s Shrine Game. Has stayed in front of nearly all defenders he has faced, winning the majority of his one-on-ones. Would still like to see more of a nasty streak in him. He’s not a great finisher and still plays way too high at times.

– San Jose State DL Jarron Gilbert: Big-framed kid who has shown an improved motor and worked at a very good tempo all week. He’s got scouts heading back to watch more tape of him as he exploded on the scene by consistently creating havoc in the backfield starting about Week 3-4 of his senior campaign. This week was a good starting point, but improving on a suspected 5.3 estimated 40 time from the spring will be what evaluators wait to see at the NFL Combine.

– Michigan DT Terrance Taylor: Has had a rougher week than expected, but, to his credit, has not complained or talked back to a coaching staff that is preaching tough love to the interior defender. He’s built low to the ground but has misfired on a few one-on-ones. While showing some burst and power at the point of attack, he has not been beating his man often enough to be considered in the top two rounds of the draft.

– Richmond DE Lawrence Sidbury: Has shown a good burst to the ball, gaining separation from blockers and finishing hard during one-on-ones. Has good upper-body strength and plays faster than his supposed 4.8 times in the 40. Productive athlete who could earn a solid third round pick if he has a good Combine workout.

– TCU LB Jason Phillips: A good-looking athlete on tape but has looked a little sluggish here at times. Not nearly as explosive to the ball or making big plays as his 4.55 speed might indicate. He is a smaller-framed defender who could get absorbed at the point of attack without having the benefit of two big defensive tackles in front of him. Disappointing is too tough a word because he’s productive on tape, so I’ll wait to see him in the game before making a final judgment.

– Iowa CB Bradley Fletcher: Continues to make plays and earn the respect of every receiver he lines up against. “Man you are getting on top of me fast. I didn’t know you were there until the last second and then you knocked the ball out my hands,” said an East receiver running back from a one-on-one matchup.

Good stuff. Stroughter and Gilbert look like the risers, rounds 3/4.

The Eric Barton idea just makes way, WAY too much sense: Veteran free agent ILB who had 119 tackles follows his coach, a Tuna/Belicheck protege who might like to have a few of "his guys." Oh, and the Browns have a gaping hole at ILB.

That said, I don't see the Browns signing him AND drafting Curry or Maualuga. Like Alo, I think they'd look for a developmental guy. UVA's Ivy, at 6'2", could play at 250 by his second year and could be had in round 4.

If that happened, trade rumors start flying and we cobble some extra picks, get a pass rusher, a running back, a WR...

If Cleveland decided to go that way (with FA Barton) I'd have to believe that Everette Brown or Aaron Maybin might get strong looks as 3-4 OLBs. The ideal situation would be trading down so SF can take Sanchez and we pick up some extra picks and still get a pass rusher.

• 1 month later...
Guest Aloysius
depending on his grade/expected round, we'd be foolish not to look at bradley fletcher (CB, iowa). it's been said we need size at corner, and size at corner he has.

Here's a nice look at the big defensive back:

Here's a nice look at the big defensive back:

And Mangini loves big corners.

I like this kid a lot but am afraid he's going to move up into the fifth round where the Browns don't have a pick.

Another big corner I really like and might be had in the 4th round is Kevin Barnes out of Maryland.

Archived