THE BROWNS BOARD

Spin the Coaching carousel

We need Tom Tupa

Guest Aloysius

Agreed.

The real test of John Harbaugh will be how he deals with losing Ryan & Suggs/Lewis/Scott in free agency. To me, keeping that defense playing at an elite level would be more impressive than winning a Super Bowl with Ryan & Cameron this year.

Agreed.

The real test of John Harbaugh will be how he deals with losing Ryan & Suggs/Lewis/Scott in free agency. To me, keeping that defense playing at an elite level would be more impressive than winning a Super Bowl with Ryan & Cameron this year.

I don't think any team has enough cap room to keep a defense like Balt. in place for long. Teams like the Steelers, Giants and NE continue to have success because they develop and have players ready to step in when they lose someone to FA.

Balt has a real problem this oiff season and it isn't just losing Ryan.

Raven Free Agents

Ray Lewis - MLB

Suggs - DE/OLB

Scott - OLB

Dawan Landry - S

Dwan Edwards DE

Jason Brown - C

Kyle Boller - QB

Lorenzo Neal - FB

Matt Stover - K

Sam Koch - P

You don't have a prayer of signing them all. Also, Reed wants a new contract. Now do you know why Ozzie doesn't want us to sign Kokinis.

Dawan Landry's a restricted free agent, which makes the Ravens' offseason slightly easier.

If a deal is made that they have to match, it is less they can spend on all the others. They are in about the same cap shape as us, maybe a little more under, but Suggs and Lewis will require a ton. Jason Brown their center is a must keep, so How can they keep Landry and Scott. Ozzie has his hands full and I'm sure him and Kokinis have discussed their situation and a plan. Kokinis leaving means he knows who they plan to keep and how much they are willing to spend on each. Suggs is pissed because they tagged him last year. He may not want to resign at all.

Guest Aloysius
If a deal is made that they have to match, it is less they can spend on all the others.

True. But if they tender him high, I doubt another team goes after him. And if they do, maybe the Ravens take the 1st and 3rd & let Jim Leonhard keep on playing.

Guest Aloysius
Bringing in Kokinis and Rob Ryan could be a big step towards attracting Suggs. I know not everyone is sold on him as a star, but he would be a huge pickup for us.

A LB core of Wimbley/Hall, D'Qwell, Curry, and Suggs would be pretty sick...

our LB corps would be greatly improved by bringing in suggs, especially if we choose to go LB at 5 and pick curry or trade down and take maualuga somewhere in the 8-12 range, something i could see us doing.

having a destroyer/solid playmaker in the middle combined with a demon on the outside would go a long way towards shoring up our defense, and a real pass rusher on one side might even help wimbley stop sucking.

the only way i see maualuga working out is if he's put in a position to attack consistently, but i think mangini's defensive philosophy more so dictates acquiring players with great instincts. curry more so seems the pick when considering our new coach.

and, while suggs wasn't happy about being franchised last year, he was even unhappier that the ravens tried to franchise him as a linebacker instead of a DE to try to save money.

but i think mangini's defensive philosophy more so dictates acquiring players with great instincts.

Then why'd he draft Vernon Gholston?

Ba-dum-CHING.

I would be shocked If Ray Lewis, doesn't retire a Raven. Also, word is Ryan is going to get the job in New York. Don't be surprised that he gets them to sign Suggs to a long term contract seeing as how they don't have a real pass rush threat on that D. So my prediction is Suggs signs with the Jets and Ray stays in Baltimore.

True. But if they tender him high, I doubt another team goes after him. And if they do, maybe the Ravens take the 1st and 3rd & let Jim Leonhard keep on playing.

My point is if they tender him high, they have to pay him high and that's less they have to pay Lewis and Suggs and Scott. They have to sign Jason Brown their center and then how about Dwan Edwards.

I guess what I'm trying to say is they are going to be a team in turmoil after this season. They may lose FO, coaching staff and then also some very important players.

our LB corps would be greatly improved by bringing in suggs, especially if we choose to go LB at 5 and pick curry or trade down and take maualuga somewhere in the 8-12 range, something i could see us doing.

having a destroyer/solid playmaker in the middle combined with a demon on the outside would go a long way towards shoring up our defense, and a real pass rusher on one side might even help wimbley stop sucking.

the only way i see maualuga working out is if he's put in a position to attack consistently, but i think mangini's defensive philosophy more so dictates acquiring players with great instincts. curry more so seems the pick when considering our new coach.

and, while suggs wasn't happy about being franchised last year, he was even unhappier that the ravens tried to franchise him as a linebacker instead of a DE to try to save money.

IMO, Suggs is a monster as a rush LB in the 3-4. I do believe Curry is a better fit for the Browns if you are teaminging him with Jackson. I can't see Mauluga and Jackson together in the middle. Who would ever drop into coverage or defend a pass. That's not a strength of either.

Guest Aloysius
I would be shocked If Ray Lewis, doesn't retire a Raven. Also, word is Ryan is going to get the job in New York. Don't be surprised that he gets them to sign Suggs to a long term contract seeing as how they don't have a real pass rush threat on that D. So my prediction is Suggs signs with the Jets and Ray stays in Baltimore.

Can't see Suggs signing with the Jets. They've got Calvin Pace signed to a 6 year, $42M deal & Gholston's locked in for 5 years, $32.5M.

As Shep mentioned, the Jets are said to not have enough cap space to re-sign ILB Eric Barton; I doubt they spend more $ on another OLB.

Then why'd he draft Vernon Gholston?

Ba-dum-CHING.

should have qualified that: players with great instincts at ILB. as an OLB, there's a definite split between diagnosing a play and getting to the QB. gholston was definitely brought in to do the latter.

@ytown: why can't d'qwell defend the pass? he's got the speed to do it and had some nice picks this year. did TEs beat him all the time? i didn't catch everything on the west coast (time difference, watching over the internet).

Another point to consider with Suggs is that we might expect Balt to look to franchise-then-trade him rather than just let him walk away. I wonder if our new GM will be willing to use draft pick(s) on a big name free agent. Also, if that is the case, we might be at a severe disadvantage as Ozzie would definitely prefer to trade him out of division.

should have qualified that: players with great instincts at ILB. as an OLB, there's a definite split between diagnosing a play and getting to the QB. gholston was definitely brought in to do the latter.

@ytown: why can't d'qwell defend the pass? he's got the speed to do it and had some nice picks this year. did TEs beat him all the time? i didn't catch everything on the west coast (time difference, watching over the internet).

Jackson did have a very solid season and with some help from the other ILB it could have been a great season. He didn't do a bad job defending the pass, but it isn't his strength. He played a lot of WSILB and Davis played SSILB, so he played away from the DE. He can get off blocks fairly well and fill gaps. He moves sidline to sideline well. He does get overaggressive and gets out of position at times. Jackson's instincts are average. He seems a little slow to see the play develop but, he has makeup speed and gets the job done. Again, it's very hard to tell just how good he is because Davis is a zero and is always out of position or overrunning plays. He should vastly improve with a better LB next to him.

I think Curry is a better SSILB for the 3-4 then Rey. Rey is more of a WSILB who needs freedom to roam and make plays. Very simular to Jackson. Everything I read about Curry is that he is more disciplined, reads well and gets off blocks well. I guess you could say one is a little more reckless then the other. Question is who would fit better next to Jackson?

IMO, and again just my opinion I think it is Curry.

Another point to consider with Suggs is that we might expect Balt to look to franchise-then-trade him rather than just let him walk away. I wonder if our new GM will be willing to use draft pick(s) on a big name free agent. Also, if that is the case, we might be at a severe disadvantage as Ozzie would definitely prefer to trade him out of division.

I wouldn't do it if they franchise him but love the idea if he's a free agent.

I'd be careful about trading the draft picks away because we didn't draft until round 4 in 2008 and it hurt this team considerably IMO. We lost a pick for Corey Williams and he never got us a single sack in exchange. We lost a 1st round pick for Quinn who saw the field for 2-3 starts. We lost a pick and a starting corner for Rogers who was GREAT but his endurance only allowed him to play 50% of the time we were on defense (the other 50% of the time we got clobbered). I also think we lost a 3rd round pick for the 09 draft so we need to be careful with giving up our future for the quick fix. Another reason I say such a thing is FAs cost more than 2nd and 3rd round draft picks and when these FAs get injured like JJ, Bentley, Peek, Stallworth, Baxter - then we gotta ask where are the draftees on this team. The answer to that last year was traded or injured. Now you have to factor in what percentage of draft picks don't pan out in this league and it really doesn't leave a Head Coach with great options in the aftermath. This is why you need your GM and Head Coach in synch.

- Tom F.

Archived