Sign in to follow this  
Zombo

Rookie Camp Observatons

Rookie Camp Observations: Day 1

May 11, 2012 -- 2:00pm

By: Will Burge

MORNING PRACTICE

Weeden in control – The Browns future at quarterback was very much in control on the practice field. Brandon Weeden wasted no time taking command of plays and players as the rookies took their first run through the Browns’ system. Despite his first pass to Trent Richardson in the flat being short and incomplete, Weeden impressed throwing the deep ball with ease and making some tight window throws over the middle in traffic.

His chemistry with undrafted free agent and former teammate Josh Cooper was by far the best on the team. Weeden said after practice that the two had been throwing together every morning at 8:30 am for hours and that he enjoyed throwing to Cooper just as much as he did to Justin Blackmon.

There were two snaps that I saw where the exchange from center to Weeden was not clean and he will have to work on that. One of them was nearly a fumble. Pat Shurmur took some extra time after a few plays to talk with Weeden about his footwork when taking snaps under center.

At one point, Shurmur essentially told him to forget what he has been taught on a “sprint right.” On this particular play, Richardson needs the handoff about 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage and out near the tight end. In order to get the type of momentum needed to meet Richardson at that spot, Weeden said he needs to plant and turn to move quick enough to get there. People don’t realize how many tiny adjustments there going from shotgun to taking snaps under center.

Richardson looks the part – After watching two minutes of running back drills, there is no doubt who was the third pick in the NFL draft. Trent Richardson looks every bit the part of an elite NFL player.

His legs are the size of tree trunks and the speed and power with which he does drills is awe inspiring. He explodes out of cuts, he catches the ball with ease, and he should make the offense much more watchable than in years past.

At one point, running backs coach Gary Brown, who was leveled by Richardson at his pro day, told another coach, “You better watch out, you see what he did to me!”

Benjamin needs to adjust – When the Browns selected Travis Benjamin in the fourth round, they were selecting his speed and game breaking ability. One of the knocks on him, however, is that he drops passes. Benjamin had two drops in the early portion of practice. One was on a short curl route where Weeden threw a bullet and it bounced right off Benjamin’s hands.

Benjamin said later that he needs to adjust to the speed at which Weeden throws the ball and that will be something the two will work on.

The second drop was on a deep route down the sideline. Weeden put the ball into the perfect spot and it went right through Benjamin’s hands. He will need to adjust quickly to help out a team that led the league in drops last season.

Remember Richardson’s legs that are like tree trunks? Well, Benjamin has tree branches. He may have the smallest legs I have ever seen on a football field but boy can he fly.

Defense getting after it – One of the worries in these camps is injuries. You may ask yourself, how do they get injured in shorts and jerseys with no pads or contact? Try telling 19 undrafted free agents and 4 camp invitees that there is no contact. These guys are playing for jobs and their dream so when that whistle blows, they were full go. There was no hitting but the offensive and defensive lines were definitely mixing it up pretty good.

http://www.espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=1088

Another Article... I like what I'm reading about Wheeden.

Impressive debut

Quarterback Brandon Weeden had zip on his throws and made it look effortless. He threw only a couple of poor passes by my count.

After practice, Weeden said he met Seneca Wallace today, but he hasn’t talked to Colt McCoy. He also made it clear he’s on a mission to win the starting quarterback job.

“Obviously I hope I’m the guy,” said Weeden, a first-round pick from Oklahoma State. “I’m gonna do everything in my power to be that guy.”

Weeden was asked to deliver a message to Browns fans as he starts his tenure with running back Trent Richardson.

“We’re coming [here] with a goal to win games,” Weeden said. “Obviously our first goal is to get to the playoffs and go as far as we can and ultimately before it’s all said and done, win a Super Bowl. That’s my goal as a player. Before I’m done playing, I want to win a Super Bowl.”

Working out kinks

Richardson fumbled a couple of handoffs from Weeden early in the practice. He said he had to adjust to wearing a jersey with two numbers on it because the numbers create a slippery surface. He wore No. 3 in college. Now he’s wearing No. 33.

“It know it was a rough start,” said Richardson, the third overall pick from Alabama. “But as it went on, everything smoothed on out.”

Richardson had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee for a meniscus tear Feb. 3, but he said he felt fine in the first practice.

“I haven’t slowed down yet," he said. "People talk about that minor scope that I had on my knee, and I’ll be like, ‘What knee? What ya’ll talking about? I don’t know what you’re talking about.’ When it comes down to it, I’m ready to go.”

Richardson said he has mentally prepared himself for the expectations being placed upon him as the No. 3 pick.

“These expectations they’ve got for me now, I don’t think it’s high enough for me," he said. "I’m gonna got to the extreme because you never set your expectations at a limit. That’s just me being a man and me just being a competitor and an athlete. I think you should always have your expectations higher. Being the third pick in the first round, having all the success in Alabama, from this point on I’m not gonna speak much about what I did at Alabama ‘cause that’s over. I did that at Alabama, and that’s [my] college career. I’m trying to make a name for myself in the NFL now.”

Challenging adjustment

Wide receiver Travis Benjamin dropped a couple of passes from Weeden. Benjamin, a fourth-round pick from Miami, said he needs to get used to the velocity of Weeden’s passes.

“Working with a new quarterback, that was an adjustment, catching balls from Brandon Weeden,” Benjamin said. “Every quarterback’s got a different style of throwing. He’s got a touch on it and a zip that you’ve gotta brace yourself and get ready for the ball.”

Taking attendance

Thirty-six players participated in the minicamp, including all 11 members of this year’s draft class. Ohio State linebacker Andrew Sweat, who signed with the Browns as an undrafted rookie free agent, was the only player missing. Four players are at minicamp on a tryout basis: Oregon quarterback Darron Thomas, Toledo running back Adonis Thomas, Temple defensive lineman Morkeith Brown and Oregon State tight end Joseph Halahuni.

Fitting in

Fourth-round pick James-Michael Johnson played weakside linebacker, though he said he’s been told that he’ll line up in the middle during the afternoon practice. … Sixth-round pick Emmanuel Acho played middle linebacker. … Seventh-round pick Brad Smelley lined up at fullback the majority of the time, but he also was used at tight end

He’s got a touch on it and a zip that you’ve gotta brace yourself and get ready for the ball.”

That's nice to hear about a Browns QB. Usually it's along the lines of "I had to put my sandwich down, and then I got distracted looking at the shapes of the clouds while I was waiting for the ball to get to me."

Zombo

• Upvote 1

That's nice to hear about a Browns QB. Usually it's along the lines of "I had to put my sandwich down, and then I got distracted looking at the shapes of the clouds while I was waiting for the ball to get to me."

Zombo

I also like how Benjamin said he wants to work with Weeden to get used to catching the ball from someone with a zip like he does, Also I hope that Cooper can make the team and maybe become a slot reciever so Cribbs can just play on ST. I'm starting to like our new potential 3 reciever sets Little-Cooper-Benjamin. Now it looks like If everyone pans out, it's time for our defense to make the leap from good to great.

Another Article... I like what I'm reading about Wheeden.

Impressive debut

Quarterback Brandon Weeden had zip on his throws and made it look effortless. He threw only a couple of poor passes by my count.

After practice, Weeden said he met Seneca Wallace today, but he hasn’t talked to Colt McCoy. He also made it clear he’s on a mission to win the starting quarterback job.

“Obviously I hope I’m the guy,” said Weeden, a first-round pick from Oklahoma State. “I’m gonna do everything in my power to be that guy.”

Weeden was asked to deliver a message to Browns fans as he starts his tenure with running back Trent Richardson.

“We’re coming [here] with a goal to win games,” Weeden said. “Obviously our first goal is to get to the playoffs and go as far as we can and ultimately before it’s all said and done, win a Super Bowl. That’s my goal as a player. Before I’m done playing, I want to win a Super Bowl.”

Working out kinks

Richardson fumbled a couple of handoffs from Weeden early in the practice. He said he had to adjust to wearing a jersey with two numbers on it because the numbers create a slippery surface. He wore No. 3 in college. Now he’s wearing No. 33.

“It know it was a rough start,” said Richardson, the third overall pick from Alabama. “But as it went on, everything smoothed on out.”

Richardson had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee for a meniscus tear Feb. 3, but he said he felt fine in the first practice.

“I haven’t slowed down yet," he said. "People talk about that minor scope that I had on my knee, and I’ll be like, ‘What knee? What ya’ll talking about? I don’t know what you’re talking about.’ When it comes down to it, I’m ready to go.”

Richardson said he has mentally prepared himself for the expectations being placed upon him as the No. 3 pick.

“These expectations they’ve got for me now, I don’t think it’s high enough for me," he said. "I’m gonna got to the extreme because you never set your expectations at a limit. That’s just me being a man and me just being a competitor and an athlete. I think you should always have your expectations higher. Being the third pick in the first round, having all the success in Alabama, from this point on I’m not gonna speak much about what I did at Alabama ‘cause that’s over. I did that at Alabama, and that’s [my] college career. I’m trying to make a name for myself in the NFL now.”

Challenging adjustment

Wide receiver Travis Benjamin dropped a couple of passes from Weeden. Benjamin, a fourth-round pick from Miami, said he needs to get used to the velocity of Weeden’s passes.

“Working with a new quarterback, that was an adjustment, catching balls from Brandon Weeden,” Benjamin said. “Every quarterback’s got a different style of throwing. He’s got a touch on it and a zip that you’ve gotta brace yourself and get ready for the ball.”

Taking attendance

Thirty-six players participated in the minicamp, including all 11 members of this year’s draft class. Ohio State linebacker Andrew Sweat, who signed with the Browns as an undrafted rookie free agent, was the only player missing. Four players are at minicamp on a tryout basis: Oregon quarterback Darron Thomas, Toledo running back Adonis Thomas, Temple defensive lineman Morkeith Brown and Oregon State tight end Joseph Halahuni.

Fitting in

Fourth-round pick James-Michael Johnson played weakside linebacker, though he said he’s been told that he’ll line up in the middle during the afternoon practice. … Sixth-round pick Emmanuel Acho played middle linebacker. … Seventh-round pick Brad Smelley lined up at fullback the majority of the time, but he also was used at tight end

Thanks for all the info

Impressive debut

:lol: :lol: :lol:

wow. you guys are such queers.

debut in what? shorts?

This is basically what I got from the Rookie Training Camp.

Richardson looks every bit the part we drafted him for. Ran through drills effortlessly and perfectly and showed no sign of problems with his knee scope. Had some fumbled hand offs day 1 but Weeden and Him got things on track day 2 and 3.

Weeden is a natural thrower. Doesn't need to crow hop super effort to bomb it down field. Natural hard thrower. The ball doesn't take 10 minutes to get to his receivers. Most guys, except Cooper, had a hard time adjusting to how hard he threw the first day out. On top of that he is deadly accurate on everything from a 50 yard streak, 30 yard post and fade, quick slants (most important) and throwing out to the flat. We will see how good he is when he gets in pads, preseason, and season, but looks every bit the part he was drafted for.

Schwartz picked up plays nice but there really isn't much to talk about during rookie mini camp when it comes to OL and DL.

Cooper: Obviously heard a lot about Cooper. Came in with instant chemistry with Weeden and it showed. Displayed great route running and great hands alone with good quickness. One bad play in the endzone where he tipped the ball and it got intercepted. Other than that good camp.

Hughes tweeked hammy during last practice and got it iced on the sideline. No one seems to worried about it.

Benjamin had a rough first day with 2 wide open drops and another drop on day 2 but did start to build very good chemistry with Weeden and get used to the velocity that he puts on his throws. Was every bit the burner as advertised, showed off great body control and quickness. Also fielded punts and kicks very well to show that he should be the back up returner.

JM Johnson had a good camp. Apparently he is picking up all 3 LB spots very well and is learning all the plays. Showing good quickness and closing ability.

Miller I haven't heard much about.

Winn was lining up all over the line.

Acho I didn't hear much about

Wade I think had a decent camp but I heard he got burnt by Benjamin a few times which is expected when you pair a 4.36 to a 4.55 runner.

Smelley had a good camp. Lined up mostly at FB but did line up some at TE. Did a great job of catching out of the backfield. If he can show some blocking ability at FB he can up-seat Marecic for his roster spot and even if he can't I think he has done enough to send Alex Smith backing.

• Upvote 2

“We’re coming [here] with a goal to win games,” Weeden said. “Obviously our first goal is to get to the playoffs and go as far as we can and ultimately before it’s all said and done, win a Super Bowl. That’s my goal as a player. Before I’m done playing, I want to win a Super Bowl.

Can anyone remember another Brown let alone a Rookie saying this?

wow. you guys are such queers.

debut in what? shorts?

The fun has certainly gone out of most Browns fans who fork out the money to watch this team. Ever since I was little I got excited over the Browns camp. Fcuk it this is supposed to be fun. Have some fun gawddamnit....LOL.

Have some fun gawddamnit....LOL.

alright gawddamnit!

I also like how Benjamin said he wants to work with Weeden to get used to catching the ball from someone with a zip like he does, Also I hope that Cooper can make the team and maybe become a slot reciever so Cribbs can just play on ST. I'm starting to like our new potential 3 reciever sets Little-Cooper-Benjamin. Now it looks like If everyone pans out, it's time for our defense to make the leap from good to great.

No way in hell a guy who can't catch is going to be playing slot. I'll take a burner as my #4 thank you very much.

:lol: :lol: :lol:wow. you guys are such queers. debut in what? shorts?

It's a shit load better than the reports we got out of OTA's and Training Camp the year noddles was drafted........You remember the ones, "Colt cant throw the deep ball", "is inaccurate" and was even rumored "to be released".

Yea, I'll take these reports any day.

I understand that the Lombardi Trophy will be given to us at the close of camp.

Dudes, quit being simpletons. Nobody reports that their new draft picks came in and looked like shit. Every other message board for the other teams is posting this same bullshit.

Weeden cracking 4/5 clay pigeons, RG3 and luck whiffing the same opportunity? That's worth talking about.

The real takeaway here is that Colt McCOy is done, and he knows he's done.

Weeden#1

Wallace #2

McCoy #3 then released. He blows so bad it isn't even funny.

so your reign of terror has gone from hating heckert, holmgren and lerner to just hating mccoy?

yeah he's the bum that went into your favorite teams' stadium (heinz field) as a rookie and spilled his guts on the ground when there was noone else that even showed up for the game.

how quickly you MFers forget everything.

last year it wasn't about mccoy. everyone every sunday sat here and bitched about hillis being a punk, no right side help on the line, no running game, no receivers that can catch....mccoy was probably #6 down on the list.

that's ok. i've got all those posts pinned and will be glad to show you ALL what YOU all posted and how YOU all have changed your tunes and won't live up to anything your blubbering homo asses said last november.

see you in november. :D

No....after game 1, I posted how bad colt looked. Took a ton of flak for it. By game 5....you were the minority.

What's your fascination with this pea-shooter midget qb?

If your taking notes...wanna go back and see how bad you missed last year as well?

so your reign of terror has gone from hating heckert, holmgren and lerner to just hating mccoy?

yeah he's the bum that went into your favorite teams' stadium (heinz field) as a rookie and spilled his guts on the ground when there was noone else that even showed up for the game.

last year it wasn't about mccoy. everyone every sunday sat here and bitched about hillis being a punk, no right side help on the line, no running game, no receivers that can catch....mccoy was probably #6 down on the list.

that's ok. i've got all those posts pinned and will be glad to show you ALL what YOU all posted and how YOU all have changed your tunes and won't live up to anything your blubbering homo asses said last november.

He was first one my list just because of his deer in the headlights look BEFORE he got his head smashed in. He chopped his feet in the pocket line he was running a pivot drill.

Oh and I don't know if it has been posted yet but The Browns signed two guys who tryed out over the weekend. A LB who was in training camp with Jacksonville last year and spent a few weeks on their roster in the middle of the season and the RB from Toledo. They cut RB Smith to make room for the new RB.

I think the point Mik's making is that this happens every year. It's the same cycle... We draft player... People post how great said drafter players are... People post how this year is gonna be different... People get all excited and claim people are "whining" or "crying" when they don't buy into the hype that's being presented.

Every year people get excited and by week 5 the sky is falling again.

There's nothing wrong with being excited or optimistic. It's just a lot of people are bitter too. I'm a show me type person. I'm excited to see the Rookies, but I don't expect to win more than 4 games again. Until the Browns show they can start consistently winning games, I won't be getting my hope ups.

i dont see any of that in his post. i see a vehement colt defender, who again, lists all the excuses as to why he struggled.

or in other words, he's painting with a broad brush. not everyone does that....just the stupid ones.

You all still have to be mindful that the biggest, strongest armed QBs may not in fact be the best QBs. We have had the "throw the pea through a hurricane" type arms here before, and it was in fact the "noodlers" who turned out to be the better QBs. It seems like some of you want to put the Mike Phipps and Derek Anderson types on a pedastal.

Well, I am inclined to wait and see what we have in Weeden. Is he MP and DA, or something better.

This team is not in any condition to discount all its options, and that includes Colt McCoy.

• Upvote 1

wait and see what we have in Weeden? are you kidding me? why would we give a QB time? its been a while since we've done something so silly. 5 wins or less and hes gone! One of these times we'll catch lightning in a bottle at the qb position!!!!!

wait and see what we have in Weeden? are you kidding me? why would we give a QB time? its been a while since we've done something so silly. 5 wins or less and hes gone! One of these times we'll catch lightning in a bottle at the qb position!!!!!

lol. If the Browns had waited with Couch he may still be your QB. The trick is going to be getting the Coach and who knows what you boys have with Shurmur. Look what that dick Harbaugh did with Alex Smith in San Fran, he revitalized his career.

lol. If the Browns had waited with Couch he may still be your QB. The trick is going to be getting the Coach and who knows what you boys have with Shurmur. Look what that dick Harbaugh did with Alex Smith in San Fran, he revitalized his career.

nobody gets me and i could give a fuck.

it's not that i'm a colt defender....i didn't even like the pick at that time and was probably his worse critic calling him a little wimp after getting knocked out by arakapo in some championship game his senior year at texas.

that being said i respect how he came in and did what he could with the shittiest wr corp and a RB playing for a contract.

i'm saying to all you fudges out there that it's great that you all get excited about who we drafted and you can't wait to get off your ass and yell for your man love quiffs. i'm saying don't be too quick on the draw and AT LEAST wait until the real training camp where the real boys step on the field and start busting up these rookies that you all are calling unstoppable and hall of famers even before they get a real hit in THE BIG LEAGUE.

yeah richardson is going to be a great RB....for how long? 3-5 years? where as we could have picked up a starting CB who could have anchored the secondary along with haden for the next ten years.

AND WE ALL DO KNOW THAT DEFENSES WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS. PERIOD. END OF STORY. GOODNIGHT.

if you don't believe me ask the ny giants. the browns could only hope to have the class org that they have and know how to keep drafting LBs and DEs just like our arch rivals PITT and BAL in our division.

20 years from now we still won't be able to catch up.

suckers.

nobody gets me and i could give a fuck.

it's not that i'm a colt defender....i didn't even like the pick at that time and was probably his worse critic calling him a little wimp after getting knocked out by arakapo in some championship game his senior year at texas.

that being said i respect how he came in and did what he could with the shittiest wr corp and a RB playing for a contract.

i'm saying to all you fudges out there that it's great that you all get excited about who we drafted and you can't wait to get off your ass and yell for your man love quiffs. i'm saying don't be too quick on the draw and AT LEAST wait until the real training camp where the real boys step on the field and start busting up these rookies that you all are calling unstoppable and hall of famers even before they get a real hit in THE BIG LEAGUE.

yeah richardson is going to be a great RB....for how long? 3-5 years? where as we could have picked up a starting CB who could have anchored the secondary along with haden for the next ten years.

AND WE ALL DO KNOW THAT DEFENSES WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS. PERIOD. END OF STORY. GOODNIGHT.

if you don't believe me ask the ny giants. the browns could only hope to have the class org that they have and know how to keep drafting LBs and DEs just like our arch rivals PITT and BAL in our division.

20 years from now we still won't be able to catch up.

suckers.

I bet that if we woulda picked your guy M.C., you probably would be showing the same enthusiasm that the T.R. and Weeden supporters show. I do agree with you though, defenses still win championships but if you cant score points you dont win. We didnt score much last year and so they wanted to make offense priority #1in the draft. Cant blame em. Man you are seriously butthurt about them not picking claiborne.

Lmao....last defense to win a ring WA 10 years ago old timer.

I disagree with that. The primary factor in both NYGiant SB wins the last few years was their defense.

Yes, their offense made a certain number of plays....but it was their defenses ability to contain Tom Brady in both games that made the difference each time.

And the Steelers 2005 SB win was ALL about their defensive play.

he sure as hell ain't gonna do anything but sniff Weeden's jockstrap.

Failure is failure.

This is what matters, snapper-head

31 NFL teams want to hire you either.

No matter how much you fellate him

But hey, look on the bright side, Obama has given you and Colt his blessing, so by all means, enjoy yourself.

speechless.

people don't realize that half the time i post shit on here just for a reaction. i didn't think you would actually fall for it.

it's not that i hate weeden. i don't hate anyone. i just thought (my opinion) we'd be better served with the CB or WR as our first pick than the RB and no where on my list did i have them picking a QB at least until next year. you say it's bullshit that i say we should have given mccoy another year with some weapons and a right side OL to protect him and open holes for whoever is in the backfield. if you have it your way we'll never find out the answer to that question. the question being would he have succeeded then?

no one knows if any one of these guys is going to be 'great'. do they even have pads on yet?

and yes defense wins championships. in hockey, in baseball and even soccer. i guess the giants making tom brady look like a little girl wasn't one of the main reasons the giants are super bowl champions....again.

You all still have to be mindful that the biggest, strongest armed QBs may not in fact be the best QBs. We have had the "throw the pea through a hurricane" type arms here before, and it was in fact the "noodlers" who turned out to be the better QBs. It seems like some of you want to put the Mike Phipps and Derek Anderson types on a pedastal.

Well, I am inclined to wait and see what we have in Weeden. Is he MP and DA, or something better.

This team is not in any condition to discount all its options, and that includes Colt McCoy.

Yup... They don't exactly hand out Lombardi trophies after Day 1 od rookie camp...

Where did I launch a personal attack on McCoy?

... he doesn't have the balls to call an audible and take charge of the team

I suppose I should liek this buffoon we have in the WHite House because he is a nice guy?

Clearly you wouldn't know a personal attack if it bit you in the ass...

And keep politics off of this board or I will personally hand you your ass...