THE BROWNS BOARD

Matt Laporta

Oldcrow1945

If Matt Laporta has a fantastic spring, does he have a shot at being the Tribes starting left fielder coming out of Arizona?

Or does he start in Columbus?

Adam Miller is another guy I was wondering about. Before Wood I thought he had a shot at being the Tribes closer. He gets that fastball up around 98 mph.

Or is the Tribe still expecting him to be a starter? Does he have a shot at being in the 5 man rotation this year?

Has anyone heard how far away Carlos Santana is? From what I've read this kid was a real steal for Blake.

The future still looks very good for the Tribe!

I still can't imagine LaPorta playing in the outfield, definitely not to start the year. I think Francisco is a virtual lock to start in LF, keeping the seat warm for Michael Brantley. I see Laporta being the slugger at 1B/DH in the future...if Shoppach is dealt and Hafner still struggles that could be rushed, but Laporta has been struggling ever since the trade, you never know.

Right now, I like Miller as our closer of the future. If he stays healthy, the Tribe could definitely use his ace-calibur stuff in the rotation, but I don't see that until at least 2010 or 11.

Santana seems like he's ready to come up whenever he gets the call. I think I'm the leader on this board in the "Trade Shoppach" train, if he does get dealt I wouldn't be surprised to see Santana with the big club this summer.

Side note....it never ceases to amaze me how Martinez and Hafner returning to form has an effect on basically every single aspect of projecting the '09 Tribe.

I still can't imagine LaPorta playing in the outfield, definitely not to start the year. I think Francisco is a virtual lock to start in LF, keeping the seat warm for Michael Brantley. I see Laporta being the slugger at 1B/DH in the future...if Shoppach is dealt and Hafner still struggles that could be rushed, but Laporta has been struggling ever since the trade, you never know.

Right now, I like Miller as our closer of the future. If he stays healthy, the Tribe could definitely use his ace-calibur stuff in the rotation, but I don't see that until at least 2010 or 11.

Santana seems like he's ready to come up whenever he gets the call. I think I'm the leader on this board in the "Trade Shoppach" train, if he does get dealt I wouldn't be surprised to see Santana with the big club this summer.

Side note....it never ceases to amaze me how Martinez and Hafner returning to form has an effect on basically every single aspect of projecting the '09 Tribe.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I know Laporta doesn't run well so being a future 1st baseman does make sense.

I'm completely on board with you concerning Shoppach. If Santana is all that is advertised I think it makes perfect sense to trade Shoppach. A catcher with his arm and numers at the plate has to be worth a lot. Especially to a playoff type team like the Brewers or Yankees or Phillies who are not that strong behind the plate.

What would you want in return? An experienced player or minor league prospect? I'm not sold on Francisco yet and I'd love to see a left fielder that could play with Sizemore and Choo in the OF....A left fielder that could get moved to DH when Brantley is ready.

Francisco's numbers are not horrible. I'd love to see him hit around .290 with 20+ HR's rather than his very average .260 and 15 HR's last year.

I hope Miller is up and producing soon. I'd really like to see him close with his past health problems. But hopefully with kerry that won't be a need this year....Keeping my fingers crossed.

I do like the thought of Hodges and Lapointe at the corners with Santana and Sizemore up the middle in a couple of years.

Those four with the likes of Choo, Brantley and Cabrera and you have a rally nice looking young group of players there.

I hope Miller is up and producing soon. I'd really like to see him close with his past health problems. But hopefully with kerry that won't be a need this year....Keeping my fingers crossed.

I hope Adam Miller is healthy this year, after that everything will take care of itself.

Check that, If Adam Miller or any other kids are the last reliever/seventh man in the pen

I would rather have them pitching in Columbus until they are needed instead of breaking camp

with the big club

Because we all know how often Eric the Wedge uses his "other" relievers.

Archived