THE BROWNS BOARD

Hartline going pro?

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

From TFY:

Sources from Ohio State have told the TFY Draft Preview that receiver Brian Hartline is seriously considering entering next April’s draft.

I don't get why Hartline would be so eager to declare for the draft. With Robiskie graduating, isn't Hartline in line to be Pryor's top target next year?

And it's not as if Hartline's draft stock is surging right now; nfldraftscout projects that he'll be selected in the 5th Round.

From TFY:
Sources from Ohio State have told the TFY Draft Preview that receiver Brian Hartline is seriously considering entering next April’s draft.

I don't get why Hartline would be so eager to declare for the draft. With Robiskie graduating, isn't Hartline in line to be Pryor's top target next year?

And it's not as if Hartline's draft stock is surging right now; nfldraftscout projects that he'll be selected in the 5th Round.

I think that we are going to see everybody come out early this year. The reason being is the new Collective Bargaining Agreement that will be in place after the 2009 season.

It is all but certain that one of the stipulations of the new agreement will be a rookie salary cap. I believe that everybody that even has a remote possibility of getting drafted will come out this year to avoid the cap.

Which means that despite Colt McCoy saying he is coming back for next year, I think he will be advised to come out this year and grab the money while it is there.

This isn't my favorite group of OSU WRs when we've had guys like Joey Galloway, Cris Carter, Terry Glenn, David Boston, Santonio Holmes, Anthony Gonzales, Michael Jenkins and Ted Ginn Jr. This year's and last year's guys don't stretch defenses or worry anyone whether it's Boeckman or Pryor throwing the ball.

Did you watch the TYPE of WRs that play for Texas Tech? They're ALL like RBs getting short passes in open fields and it works man - just ask Texas. I can't wait until we get new WRs that FIT what we have at QB. Pryor actually is a pleasant surprise throwing the ball. I thought he was just going to be Dennis Dixon with some'r throws (some'r here some'r there). He's pretty good for a true freshman. I'd like a Ricky Dudley type of TE and some WRs like Texas Tech. I know - it's fun to dream BUT if anyone can get prime recruits it's OSU. Even John Cooper landed top talent here.

- Tom F.

Guest Aloysius

Well, Texas Tech's got Michael Crabtree. If OSU can recruit someone like him, Terrell Pryor will be a very lucky QB.

As for why Hartline may be leaving, I think Timugen's explanation makes the most sense. It's amazing how much better Hartline was last year with Boeckman:

2007: 52 catches, 694 yards, 6 TD

2008: 16 catches, 302 yards, 2 TD

Hammer's argument about guys declaring for the draft to avoid a rookie salary cap is really interesting, but I don't think it applies to a mid-Day Two prospect like Hartline.

But it should be interesting to see if some fringe 1st Round juniors end up declaring for the draft this year instead of staying in school & boosting their draft stocks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Masters

Actually, I would think guys that will go in round 2 and 3 are even more concerned with the possibility of rookie salary cap (which might just happen w/ so many vets speaking out about rooks getting so much money when they have proved nothing). If they go the route like the NBA, then guys out of the 1st round will be hurt the most.

Hartline possibly coming out isn't much of a surprise. There was talk about him leaving for the NFL last year.

You also have to look at the economic climate.

I have a feeling next year is going to be the first time in a long time we see stadiums less than full on a regular basis....causing owners to really clamor about salaries and take a hard line stance.

• 2 months later...
From TFY:

Rumor has it he was a cancer and Tress has not kept it a secret that his playing time was going to get cut next year.

Tressel loves Sanzenbacker Posey and Thomas.

They also have 6'6" WR redshirt freshman Jake Stoneburner back from Injury.

Archived