THE BROWNS BOARD

If you wanted Brodrick Bunkley...

Guest Aloysius

Funny, if you knew the history between me and my good friend Fluges (and that wasn't Congressional sarcasm... we are friends!). I really wanted Bunkley and said he'd be an ideal 3-4 DE; Tom hated the idea. For at least a year, the Wimbley pick (which I didn't mind at all at the time) looked genius and Bunkley was a bust.

Now Bunkley is the star. You just never know.

You are right Shep. I was one of the rare people on this board that said Ngata looked like a better 2 gap pick than Bunkley (who played 1 gap at FSU and still does in Philly). Ngata had about as good of a year as any inside DT in the AFC. ALOT of people wanted Bunkley who had his first good year in 3 attempts. That's dead even with Wimbley as far as how many good seasons produced.

Shep, you will remember the guy I REALLY wanted (and was told he'd be a reach where we were picking) was DeAngelo Williams. He's gotten better every year but always averaged over 4 yards a carry since coming into the league.

- Tom F.

I'll give you Deangelo but you have to give me Brod. He's becoming a real beast. No telling how he would've been as a 3-4 DE, though.

Deangelo struggled his first year, too!

Bunkley turned out pretty darn good as you predicted Shep. WAY better than I had him pegged for but this is the first time in 3 years we've been able to say he showed Philly why they took him as early as they did.

As for DeAngelo - look what he averaged per carry in the first 2 years:

Season Team G Rush Yds Avg TD Rec Yds

2006 Carolina 13 121 501 4.1 1 33 313

2007 Carolina 16 144 717 5.0 4 23 175

2008 Carolina 16 273 1515 5.5 18 22 121

Back to Bunkley vrs Ngata comparisons - it was more of an understanding what guy was the better prospect for 2-gap scheme we were about to be using. Relating this to our needs, I'm still pretty certain Bunkley would not be a better 2 gap player than Ngata is right now; and that's what we were looking for on the Nose was a 2 gap guy (not a 1 gap guy).

If you want the next Michael Dean Perry (1 gapper) you take Bunkley; but if you want the next Bob Golic type you choose Ngata. He keeps bodies off Ray Lewis. Right now, it's hard to find an AFC DT playing better 2 gap inside than Ngata.

Bunkley and Ngata (inspite of the same position title) they really play 2 different positions Shep if you look at the Philly Scheme vrs keeping bodies off Lewis. Our NT is more in-line with keeping bodies off the backers so I STILL think Ngata would have been a better pick for the Browns than Bunkley. Do you agree on that? I think commentators were just as praising of Ngata yesterday as they were of Bunkley today. Both good young players but what one was right for the 3-4 apex? I still think Ngata in hindsight. I'm even more sure we needed Williams.

- Tom F.

Ngata's good, but I thought we were set with Washington at the time and wouldn't double up that high. I figured it was Bunkley or Wimbley for our 3-4... but it became pretty clear we were going with the pass rusher. I never got the sense the Browns were super serious about Ngata.

Two of the three are really good now... and so is Deangelo Williams. The other is a Brown (!).

Very good points Shep. Maybe NEW coaches will get Wimbley back to the 11 sack guy we saw as a rookie. I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised about him than I was seeing a wide eyed rookie sacking 11 NFL QBs.

THIS year I can't make up my freakin mind between Curry and mays. NOW someone had to get me excited about the Bama Bulldozer they call Smitty. Just what I needed! Straighten me out if I need it.

- Tom F.

hindsight is 20 20...

True but saying I want DeAngelo Williams before the draft wasn't hindsight Sez it was foresight. It's more of an understanding that Reuben Droughns wasn't capable of hitting the home run from anywhere on the field as only 2 rushing TDs in his best season here epitomized. Williams scored about 20 TDs this year and averaged over 5 yards a carry as early as his second season. This year he averaged 5.5 yards a carry. That helps you win alot more games than preferring slow, predictable and playing for FGs.

Do you know what the biggest change in Tennessee's offense in 2008 was? The 4.29 footspeed of Chris Johnson. Did you see the difference in Tennessee's offense when Johnson played the first half vrs when he didn't play in the second half against Baltimore? Lendale White wasn't going to run over the Ravens and they got him to cough up the ball trying such a thing.

- Tom F.

Archived