THE BROWNS BOARD

Gran Torino Review

Gran Torino

Warner Brothers

R 116 min

Hey gang, do yourself a favor and see this one before you read the review. I think you’ll be happier to see the story unfold without any precognition if you can.

In American cinema, the definition of anti-hero may well be Clint Eastwood

From the spaghetti westerns through the Harry Callahan era and well into his directorial enterprises Eastwood has blurred the line between the good the bad and, well you get it.

His latest, GRAN TORINO, is a classic redemption film about a bitter old widower, Walt Kowalski (Eastwood) turned reluctant hero

His decaying suburban Detroit neighborhood has become increasingly ethnic and gang activity is on the rise.

A Korean War vet, Kowalski isn’t happy with the influx of Hmong (a southeast Asian group) families. That prejudice is exacerbated when a Hmong gang forces an innocent teenager to break into Kowalski’s garage where he keeps his prized possession and symbol of a vanished era, a mint condition Ford Gran Torino.

As the events unfold Kowalski will become mentor to the young man and a friend and protector to the family as the gang conflict becomes ugly.

The sad old man is suddenly forced to sort out the demons in his life. He’ll gain respect for a seemingly inexperienced young Priest, and face the painful results of his own unbending ways on his own family. All this takes place before the climax, somewhat reminiscent of 1938 classic ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES.

GRAN TORINO isn’t perfect as I see it. There are small portions of dialogue that seem forced to me, and a little of the intended humor don’t ring true, but then again these are pretty insignificant gripes in an otherwise excellent film.

This is as compelling a story and moral as you’ll see on screen, and I’ll bet Eastwood will need to get his tuxedo pressed one more time.

A-

WSS

westsidesteve@aol.com

Gran Torino

Warner Brothers

R 116 min

Hey gang, do yourself a favor and see this one before you read the review. I think you’ll be happier to see the story unfold without any precognition if you can.

A-

WSS

westsidesteve@aol.com

Very nice writeup Steve! One of the better movies I've seen in quite some time.

- Tom F.

Archived