THE BROWNS BOARD

Pioli not out of GM job yet- Canton Repository

titleist585

BEREA —

If Scott Pioli doesn’t jump into the Browns general manager job, it won’t be because Eric Mangini is his mortal enemy.

At least, Mangini drew a glowing sketch of Pioli as a friend and as a professional.

“I think Scott is a great guy,” Mangini said on radio station WTAM amid a whirl of interviews after he was named Browns head coach. “I think he’s really smart. I think he’s really good at what he does.

“He’s another person I have nothing but respect for.”

Pioli and Mangini were fellow Patriots during three seasons that culminated with Super Bowl wins. In their final year together, 2005, Pioli was — and still is — vice president of player personnel. Mangini was defensive coordinator.

Mangini became the Jets head coach in 2006. In 2007, Mangini was suspected as the snitch in the Spygate affair that cost Pioli a first-round draft pick.

“Any disagreements,” Mangini said, “stem from intense loyalty to our clubs, competitiveness for our clubs and not anything to do with personal issues at all.”

Mangini met Pioli in the 1990s when both were making their way up in the NFL world with Bill Belichick’s Browns.

“When I first became a (public relations) intern (in Cleveland),” Mangini said, “I was sleeping on the floor in Scott’s apartment. We’ve been friends a long time.”

Mangini said Pioli was responsible for introducing him to his wife.

“We were on a relocation weekend,” Mangini said. “I was with Scott, and he said, ‘Do you want to go meet my buddy’s sister and some of her girlfriends?’ ”

The “buddy” was Mark Shapiro, who has since become general manager of the Cleveland Indians. Mangini and the former Julie Shapiro are married with two children.

Browns owner Randy Lerner indicated Friday that a general manager has not been picked. He did not close the door on Pioli as a candidate.

George Kokinis, who worked with Mangini and Pioli on the Belichick-era Browns, is viewed as the frontrunner. Lerner and Mangini have talked at length about where the GM search might go, and Mangini has shared his views of Kokinis. Lerner has not met Kokinis, but a lengthy interview is likely when Kokinis breaks free from his duties as pro personnel director of the Baltimore Ravens.

Lerner sought advice from numerous sources as he approached the head coach and GM search. At this point, he is looking for a GM who will mesh with Mangini.

“Ultimately, it will be Randy’s decision,” Mangini said. “I’ll work closely with him in that process. The important thing to both Randy and me is it’s a person I’ll work together with day in and day out.

“It won’t ever be about credit. It won’t ever be about anything but how we can improve the Browns. That’s what I was excited about in the conversations with Randy. I’m confident we’ll find that person, and it will be a complete team effort.”

Lerner will use Mangini’s input but also rely on his network of advisers.

“It’s important to have some checks and balances within the organization,” he said.

Pioli has a substantially deeper résumé and reputation than Kokinis, but it could be that Lerner concludes Kokinis is as bright a prospect as Pioli and would work better with Mangini and others in the building.

Lerner is coy about offering many clues. He did say:

“If you don’t have the chemistry right in the building, you don’t have any chance, because if you have any adversity, the wheels come off.”

Eagles GM Tom Heckert reportedly has faded as a candidate.

Lerner has been through whirlwind, firing a head coach and a GM less than two weeks ago, hiring a head coach this week. His first move after turning his focus from Mangini to the GM hunt?

“Getting some sleep,” he said.

Archived