THE BROWNS BOARD

DA on his way out

o_robbie

Hi,

New to the board here and I am very very excited as a buddy of mine who lives in Detroit told me that we are looking at trading D.Anderson our 37 and the number 5 pick to move up to number 1 and draft A.Smith from Alabama. To make a long cell phone call short the Browns have Smith as the number one rated player on the board and feel that if they can't move up to get him they are going to move back as they don't need a QB, WR, and aren't that high on Orakpo or A.Curry.

What do you guys think? I was pretty stoked about this rumor.

Welcome to the board, robbie!

And now let me properly welcome you:

This is a monumentally stupid idea and post.

First, I don't care who you are, no rookie is worth two first-day picks and a QB.

Second, we are beginning a new HC and GM regime and continuing to build the base of talent on the WHOLE team. We have holes everywhere. And you and your buddy think it'd be smart to trade 3 potential players for 1? To move up FOUR spots? And draft ANOTHER tackle?

Third, how the hell does your buddy know who is ranked where on the Browns draft board when THERE ISN'T EVEN A FREAKING GM IN PLACE YET?!?!

Fourth, it's JANUARY.

Fifth, using the draft value system the NFL uses, your scenario makes no sense. The #1 is exceptionally hard to trade.

Sixth, are the caps working for you?

Thanks for joining us! You're going to do great here.

Orange and Brown have a report about trading Anderson they posted 10 minutes ago (but I can't read the whole thing without paying $100).

Can anyone go there to get the scoop?

Maybe this is what the Detroit guy is talking about, although I agree its very high speculation no matter the source at this point.

Welcome to the boards. It's way too soon to start speculating who's getting drafted and who's getting traded (though DA seems to be a majority pick here) when the HC is only a couple days on the job and the GM position is still undecided. But rumors fly around the league all the time and make for good discussions.

First, McCreight is the acting GM in charge of Pro Personnel and scouting.

Second, that would be the dumbest trade ever. I wouldn't give them Anderson and our #1 to move up 4 spots. Especially when our biggest needs are on defense. Any rumors are pure speculation at this time because we don't even know what is going on in FA.

If you trade up to #1 to get Smith you would have to pay him a fortune, so why not just offer the fortune to Gordan Gross who is a FA and already a Pro bowler.

There's nobody in this draft worth trading up from #5 to #1. This draft is so deep 1 thru 20, it would be better to trade down and get extra picks. then again, you have to have a trading partner.

Last but not least, why would Detriot trade for Anderson when they could take the top rated QB coming out of college.

How about we just give them Anderson for their 3rd round pick and we stay where we are?

BTW, Welcome......................................

Sorry,

I forgot to put we were swapping 2nd's not just giving them our second. You can think what you want but teams don't just stop working because they don't have a GM. I can almost guarantee you DA gets moved. You must have missed the Utah Alabama game. The one where Smith didn't play and Alabama looked like frauds. He is that good of a player. We can likely still get a DE,S,LB with the first pick in the 2nd draft. I think we are just looking at protecting B.Quinn right now because he is are future. It would help of course if a certain WR caught the passes thrown his way as well.

Welcome to the board, robbie!

And now let me properly welcome you:

This is a monumentally stupid idea and post.

First, I don't care who you are, no rookie is worth two first-day picks and a QB.

Second, we are beginning a new HC and GM regime and continuing to build the base of talent on the WHOLE team. We have holes everywhere. And you and your buddy think it'd be smart to trade 3 potential players for 1? To move up FOUR spots? And draft ANOTHER tackle?

Third, how the hell does your buddy know who is ranked where on the Browns draft board when THERE ISN'T EVEN A FREAKING GM IN PLACE YET?!?!

Fourth, it's JANUARY.

Fifth, using the draft value system the NFL uses, your scenario makes no sense. The #1 is exceptionally hard to trade.

Sixth, are the caps working for you?

Thanks for joining us! You're going to do great here.

Hi,

New to the board here and I am very very excited as a buddy of mine who lives in Detroit told me that we are looking at trading D.Anderson our 37 and the number 5 pick to move up to number 1 and draft A.Smith from Alabama. To make a long cell phone call short the Browns have Smith as the number one rated player on the board and feel that if they can't move up to get him they are going to move back as they don't need a QB, WR, and aren't that high on Orakpo or A.Curry.

What do you guys think? I was pretty stoked about this rumor.

The short of it- you're out of your f***ing mind. (sorry if I'm rude to a newcomer- it can get kinda rough in here sometimes) OL is the least of the Browns worries. The Browns can sit right were they are and get a quality payer at a position of need- and that would be on the DEFENSIVE side of the ball- did you bother to watch any of the Titans- Ravens game? Until the Browns can play defense like that, we're going nowhere.

Add in Phil Savage left the Browns draft depleted (no 3rd rounder) so the Browns will want to try and pick up extra picks, not trade them away.

I don't know about all the trading and how all that works....the idea proposed seems very much in favor of the Lions...but some components of this make some sense.

First, for the Lions, DA presents less gamble then does selecting a qb with the first pick. DA has done something as a NFL qb, and will probably settle into something between what we saw last year and the year before.

For the Browns, Smith is a starter day 1 at RT...he is big enough.

We all talk about the D and how bad it is, but our O did set a NFL record for ineptitude....a BIG part of that was the poor O-line play.

The odds of this happening are probably pretty slim, but it does make some sense when you break it down

The most I see is DA and our 1st for theirs....and I doubt we would do that...I don't see anyone so compelling that would make us want to jump up 4 slots.

If anything, we are looking to pick up picks...this is a trade down draft IMO...Bradford and Stafford are probably the only guys who might prompt a team to move up that high.

I think we will be able to move DA this year, but I see it more for a low round pick this year....maybe 6th, with the value being a conditional pick next season...maybe as high as a 2nd then or as low as another 6th, depending on how he plays.

Sorry,

I forgot to put we were swapping 2nd's not just giving them our second. You can think what you want but teams don't just stop working because they don't have a GM. I can almost guarantee you DA gets moved. You must have missed the Utah Alabama game. The one where Smith didn't play and Alabama looked like frauds. He is that good of a player. We can likely still get a DE,S,LB with the first pick in the 2nd draft. I think we are just looking at protecting B.Quinn right now because he is are future. It would help of course if a certain WR caught the passes thrown his way as well.

If we're swapping seconds, that still doesn't equal the value we'd have to give to move up to #1.

But technicalities aside, let's say, for the sake of discussion, we were going to move up.

Why on God's green earth would we draft ANOTHER tackle, when we took the best LT just two years ago? We'd then be committing around $30 mil to the #1 pick in the draft who'd be...our RIGHT tackle?

Or are you saying that Joe Thomas should be our right tackle now because your boy Smith is the best LT, well, EVER?

Seriously, my friend, pick up your game or stick to reading. This is just silly-talk without even a little basis in reality.

Damjuki is on the money.. and I love your slam of the rookie poster ..(with kid gloves hahaha)... We will not be trading up.. no way ...no how.. and certainly not for an offensive tackle.. not in this lifetime. Especially when for the last 99 years we cannot stop the run.. that is our #1 priority of the offseason ...is to fix the defense. The offense hit a snag..but it's not broken. Our biggest concern on offense is to get some experience depth at WR's at the 3,4,5 spots and there area a ton of veteran free agents that can fill those roles.

I doubt we trade out of the 5 spot... some great players there.. if we trade, it will be down.. but we all know that is nearly impossible when your talking about the 5 spot because the team trading up has to give up too much (most of the time)

Smith would play RT.....it wouldn't be a bad pick even if not popular.....but we aren't trading up, and he won't be there at #5, so there is no need to worry.

It would be a bad pick, 'peen, because you don't draft a RIGHT TACKLE #1 overall. It's not exactly an impact position.

I'm not even sure you draft a right tackle in the first round AT ALL, let alone at #1.

In the top 10, and top 5 especially, you draft your core positions, in the following order: QB, LT, LB/DE (top impact player/pass rusher), once-in-a-decade RB, shutdown CB.

And if you have all of those, you either trade down before your pick or take the top-rated guy looking to trade him ASAP.

When you are in the situation we are in, you can't afford -- monetarily and strategy-wise -- to get cute. We need impact players at key positions and that's where we need to focus.

the Browns have Smith as the number one rated player on the board

Is he as first as Pioli was? Not for nothing but I don't know where Kokkinos and Mangini would have Smith rated. I will say Alabama was a completely different team in his absence, or better put, in his presence. He dominated people the way Orlando Pace did. If you can get footage of their matchup with Georgia - they just lined up and ran behind the young man all game long as GA helplessly watched the scoreboard change into a landslide loss.

I've joked around a few times that the 1 team that would probably be interested in DA as their solution would be Detroit. I'd rank him as a #32 starter but solid backup right now, which is subject to change for better or worse. That's more upside than Kitna at this point and I see why you'd like experience if you don't have Baltimore's D giving your QB the margin of error ANY QB dreams of (ie: Trent Dufus won a SB completing 30% of his passes with the margin of error I speak of). DA has an agent though so you know he'll overglom the part of 2007 from DA worth remembering.

The Cleveland Browns are going offseason grocery shopping with alot of holes in the lineup so I hope to God we have the RIGHT personnel people prioritizing. Therefore, we're gonna get widespread wood with the slightest of wind currents.

Zombo brought up a good point - we don't even have a GM so I'm not sure how valid this is. What's Mike Keenan's role at this point as we await a GM? The MAIN reason I was excited about Pioli is that he's an awesome wheeler and dealer. How else does a SB Champion have 3 first round picks (and 8 in the first 3 rounds) in the very next draft? If Randy does something BEFORE he can sign Kokkinos will he sour him too? This is every bit as important as the Head Coach thing.

Ragarding Ball's point about impact: It didn't look like we could run the ball up to snuff in 2008 because I think we have completely overrated the right side of our oline. We overpaid the bejesus out of Shaffer who's now getting beat frequently by right side guys like Mathis. When we can only run 1 way we're very easy to matchup with so I disagree about impact of the RIGHT OT. I'd rather see Shaffer competing with Tucker to see who starts at RG against the wider bodied DTs. We've got more holes to fill than a golf course so it's not gonna happen overnight. Rumors of cap jam are why I would say such a thing. Don't worry too much about that because Tenn had cap jam when I moved here in 06 and they fired their GM, restored their cap health and brought in solutions to team speed on offense like the Chris Johnson 4.29 forty speed the Ratbirds were saying uh-oh to in the first half yesterday. IMO, losing him to a mysterious ankle sprain made Tennessee much easier to stop. An overweight Lendale White looked as threatening as Jamal looked for us this year plus his fumble was brutal.

Before this breaks out into a debate about drafting an OT first - I can count on my right hand how many times I'd say you draft an OT in the top 5-10 picks. Ready? Joe Thomas, Walter Jones, Jon Ogden. Anthony Munoz and Orlando Pace not to be confused with trying to pretend Robert Gallery resembles any of those guys. In this case, I think Smith has caved in some freakin solid defensive fronts within a pretty strong conference of competition. We can get a rock solid RB anywhere from round 2-7 if history stays the course. look at last year. And as far as impact goes? I think Joe Thomas was as "Sudden Impact" as it gets while we're anxiously awaiting to see what Quinn has in his 3rd season right?

- Tom F.

Is he as first as Pioli was? Not for nothing but I don't know where Kokkinos and Mangini would have Smith rated. I will say Alabama was a completely different team in his absence, or better put, in his presence. He dominated people the way Orlando Pace did. If you can get footage of their matchup with Georgia - they just lined up and ran behind the young man all game long as GA helplessly watched the scoreboard change into a landslide loss.

I've joked around a few times that the 1 team that would probably be interested in DA as their solution would be Detroit. I'd rank him as a #32 starter but solid backup right now, which is subject to change for better or worse. That's more upside than Kitna at this point and I see why you'd like experience if you don't have Baltimore's D giving your QB the margin of error ANY QB dreams of (ie: Trent Dufus won a SB completing 30% of his passes with the margin of error I speak of). DA has an agent though so you know he'll overglom the part of 2007 from DA worth remembering.

The Cleveland Browns are going offseason grocery shopping with alot of holes in the lineup so I hope to God we have the RIGHT personnel people prioritizing. Therefore, we're gonna get widespread wood with the slightest of wind currents.

Zombo brought up a good point - we don't even have a GM so I'm not sure how valid this is. What's Mike Keenan's role at this point as we await a GM? The MAIN reason I was excited about Pioli is that he's an awesome wheeler and dealer. How else does a SB Champion have 3 first round picks (and 8 in the first 3 rounds) in the very next draft? If Randy does something BEFORE he can sign Kokkinos will he sour him too? This is every bit as important as the Head Coach thing.

- Tom F.

If Lerner does something to make any kind of move souring GM interest He may just have to hand over the reigns to a one Bernard Kosar once franchise QB of the browns Because frankly I cant see anyone else wanting the role...

A right tackle #1 overall? Only if you're a GM who really hates his job. Yikes.

The Browns are sitting in a great position because QBs and left tackles will go ahead of us and we have Quinn and Thomas. There's a chance Crabtree could get in there somewhere, too... and we only take him if we trade Bray-Bray.

It's almost like we already have the top pick, because we'll be looking at Curry, Mauauluga, Orakpo (he's falling, though), Jenkins, and Wells (unlikely, but it's Grossi's pick).

I doubt he's our #1 rated player. I hope it's Mays or Curry.

That said, I would understand wanting better for our right side than we've been willing to overpay in exchange for level of service in 2008. Smith is the TYPE of OT that comes around once every 5 years or so. Look at the effect of adding Jeff Otah to the RT spot in the first round for Carolina. Then again, they had two first round picks and picked another RB for their other first round pick. So here's their formula for success: 2 first round OTs Gross & Otah) and 2 first round RBs (Williams & Stewart). Not bad!!!

Ask Nick Saban what kind of impact Smith had on his team. If anyone caught the utah vrs Bama game - Utah was attacking via Smitty's backup. That wouldn't have been possible if the best overall player on Alabama was playing that day.

- Tom F.

The elitists in this thread are such a joke. I would jump on this trade in a heartbeat. An elite RT puts us in the upper echelon of teams offensively. Note the dramatic drop off in production when Tucker was out.

There is no way this team drafts an OT in the first round. This team has so many glaring needs and the OL is not really one of them. Although Shaffer is a stiff and should be replaced, that can be done in the second round and it would still be a huge upgrade.

This draft is loaded with OT's that would be an upgrade to Shaffer.... And all these can be drafted in the second round.

Phil Loadholt is a true right tackle and will more than likely be avaiable with the 37th pick.

There looks to be as many as five OT's going in the second round. I really think the Browns should think about the right side with their #2 pick. I like Loadholt a lot. He was at one time projected as a probable #1 and his stock has fallen a bit.

He is a bit rough right now but he has a huge upside. His size alone makes him attractive.

I'd love to see the Lions offer their #2 pick for DA. #33 overall. I'd jump all over that.

An elite RT puts us in the upper echelon of teams offensively.

With the NUMBER ONE OVERALL PICK???

I would jump on this trade in a heartbeat.

Of course you would.

The elitists in this thread are such a joke.

Just a piss-poor overall take.

The elitists in this thread are such a joke.

I would certainly be remiss if I did not welcome Sarah Palin to the Browns Board.

Welcome, Madam Governor!

As far as trade value goes you must not have watched last years draft where NE couldn't give away there pick to move back. Teams aren't as interested in the high draft picks anymore because of the salary ramifications. As far as having two awesome tackles look no further then over to Denver or Tenn where they have two very good tackles. Having a great line makes your QB look spectacular when he has time to throw the ball and as I have said there is no impact D players at pick 5. Orakpo is a very good college player...so is Tim Tebow. Bottom line is when you are getting a decent trade offer, can move DA's contract off of the books, and can get your number 1 player at this point you have to seriously consider it. I'm not saying this will happen...I am only passing along information that I heard. Smith is the highest rated player on most boards...yes some boards over rate Bradford and Stafford but he is almost a can't miss prospect. Note: He is not Robert Gallery. He played in the SEC with teams who have nearly as much NFL defensive talent as we do and he dominated..no wait he DOMINATED!

He is NFL ready...some people just think certain positions are reserved for early picks.

My attitude is draft all-pros and you aren't going to regret it.....but I know most people don't agree with that.

As far as having two awesome tackles look no further then over to Denver or Tenn where they have two very good tackles.

Yes, and one of the four was #1 pick, and Clady (the lone 1st rounder) was picked at number 12. Plus, he's a LT, not a RT. RT's do not get picked in the first round generally, and certainly not #1 overall.

-Broncos LT Ryan Clady was a #1 pick this year, and their RT Ryan Harris was a 3rd rounder.

-Titans LT Michael Roos was a 2nd round pick and RT David Stewart went in the 4th.

. Smith is the highest rated player on most boards...yes some boards over rate Bradford and Stafford but he is almost a can't miss prospect. Note: He is not Robert Gallery. He played in the SEC with teams who have nearly as much NFL defensive talent as we do and he dominated..no wait he DOMINATED!

When it comes to NFL talent, don't get too caught up in all the hype about the SEC.

The SEC speed and talent is pure ESPN and national media hype. It's not based on fact.

In the last four years, in rounds 1 thru 5 the SEC has had 35 interior linemen drafted. The ACC had 36 interior lineman drafted in those four years in rounds 1 thru 5. The Big ten has had 32 interior lineman drafted in that same time frame and rounds.

The Talent level is nearly the same in all the major conferences. When it comes to interior lineman the Pac 10 has been one of the weaker conferences. In the same years and rounds mentioned, the PAC 10 produced only 21 interior linemen.

Recently, two of the best Interior lineman in country have come from the Big Ten. Thomas and Long.

He is NFL ready...some people just think certain positions are reserved for early picks.

My attitude is draft all-pros and you aren't going to regret it.....but I know most people don't agree with that.

You are exactly right about drafting All-Pros but that's not what we're discussing.

The original post posited we'd trade DA and the fifth pick for the #1 pick and we'd swap 2nds with the Lions.

And then we'd draft Smith to play RIGHT tackle.

Now, let's consider that statement on its face. By selecting Smith #1, we'd be committing to $30+ mil for a RIGHT tackle. (Thomas got $26 mil or thereabouts at #3 so it'll be higher than that.)

Peen, are you and the newbie robbie REALLY saying that of ALL the ways to use our first pick, DA and our salary cap, a RIGHT TACKLE would be the BEST of them?

Really?

By the way, I am an elitist. I like things that are not dumb.

Archived