THE BROWNS BOARD

Mangini had the healthiest team in the NFL last year

JoeSixPat

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/10/...s-for-injuries/

Jets starters lost only 12 games to injury - which along with $140 million in offseason spending, helped Mangini achieve a defacto 8-8 record.

Compare that to the 64 starter games lost to injury by the Ravens and Patriots, both of whom finished 11-5.

I suppose some of the credit for the Jets record should be shared with the Quarterback who your new head coach liked so much, he actually NAMED HIS SON after him (so much for the theories that Mangini never wanted Favre).

The good news is that Favre might actually want to play another season as a starter and might be available.

Feel free to talk amongst yourselves on why Mangini is such a good coach and why its a good thing that Lerner hired a coach no one else had the slightest interest in so quickly and before he actually had a plan as to who to hire as a GM.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/10/...s-for-injuries/

Jets starters lost only 12 games to injury - which along with $140 million in offseason spending, helped Mangini achieve a defacto 8-8 record.

Compare that to the 64 starter games lost to injury by the Ravens and Patriots, both of whom finished 11-5.

I suppose some of the credit for the Jets record should be shared with the Quarterback who your new head coach liked so much, he actually NAMED HIS SON after him (so much for the theories that Mangini never wanted Favre).

The good news is that Favre might actually want to play another season as a starter and might be available.

Feel free to talk amongst yourselves on why Mangini is such a good coach and why its a good thing that Lerner hired a coach no one else had the slightest interest in so quickly and before he actually had a plan as to who to hire as a GM.

You seem like a good guy but Mangini is our coach now and I for one am only worried about the future.

I for one am only worried about the future.

Yeah - I'd agree there's some validity that every coaching situatation is different. All of this assumes that their spending spree of $140 million was a good move period - healthy or not. I wouldn't begin to know whether the Jets personnel and the $140 million spent actually gave them better personnel than the Browns have right now.

And speaking of the $140 million - the Jets are in Cap Hell right now too - so maybe the Browns are in a much better situation. But whether its Patriots fans or any other fans, I have a tough time watching fans delude themselves with the "Kool Aid" that every move their team makes is good because - well, because its their team.

Not that Lerner gives a crap what me or you think, but I was pretty upfront about why I didn't see the point of hiring Mangini before a GM period - let alone hiring any coach for whom there was absolutely no competition, before having a GM. Now reports of a "done deal" for Kokinis aren't looking so sure.

I guess part of me wants to see Mangini fall on his face again, but part of me wants to see Browns fans finally get their organization back. Technically you got it back in the 90s but it still isn't really "back" to where Cleveland deserves it to be - and these moves don't make it look like it will be happening anytime soon.

Yeah - I'd agree there's some validity that every coaching situatation is different. All of this assumes that their spending spree of $140 million was a good move period - healthy or not. I wouldn't begin to know whether the Jets personnel and the $140 million spent actually gave them better personnel than the Browns have right now.

And speaking of the $140 million - the Jets are in Cap Hell right now too - so maybe the Browns are in a much better situation. But whether its Patriots fans or any other fans, I have a tough time watching fans delude themselves with the "Kool Aid" that every move their team makes is good because - well, because its their team.

Not that Lerner gives a crap what me or you think, but I was pretty upfront about why I didn't see the point of hiring Mangini before a GM period - let alone hiring any coach for whom there was absolutely no competition, before having a GM. Now reports of a "done deal" for Kokinis aren't looking so sure.

I guess part of me wants to see Mangini fall on his face again, but part of me wants to see Browns fans finally get their organization back. Technically you got it back in the 90s but it still isn't really "back" to where Cleveland deserves it to be - and these moves don't make it look like it will be happening anytime soon.

It wasn't mangini's choice to spend that money on FA's. And before favre decided to shit the bed they were the 2 seed in the AFC. So I think he's atleast a major upgrade to what we had.

It wasn't mangini's choice to spend that money on FA's. And before favre decided to shit the bed they were the 2 seed in the AFC. So I think he's atleast a major upgrade to what we had.

If there's a link to an article that shows that the head coach of the Jets had no input in personnel choices and was actually opposed to the moves that were made, I'd be interested in seeing that.

I don't think you can provide one, and that you're probably trying to rationalize how a coach and GM could spend $140 million and achieve mediocrity with the healthiest team in the NFL.

Having a GM and Coach try to be on the same page isn't anything new that started this season - that's what the Jets were trying to do with Mangini and Tannenbaum just the same way that Mangini and his handpicked second, third, fourth or fifth choice for GM will do (of course Lerner's made it clear that the GM will NOT be answering to the coach so I guess you should throw that notion out now too.)

I know there's speculation that Mangini never wanted to part ways with Pennington and didn't want Favre. I haven't seen any actual statements about that - but I do know that Mangini thought so highly of Favre that he actually named his son after Favre.

So unless the theory is that Mangini hates his son, I'd have to say that he was pretty much on board with bringing him into town as well.

Based on comments by Mangini, how he runs the ship, and comments by others about him, he wasn't thrilled bringed Favre in so late in the preseason and releasing Pennington.

I personally feel that Pioli was a bad decision. Coming from the Patriots org, he's never really 'proven' anything on his own. There is copious evidence that you're taking a chance on anyone coming directly from that organization - Belichick is really the brains up there. While Pioli might be good on his own, I'd prefer to see someone else take that flyer. I suspect he is looking for a job where he doesn't have to build a team - if asked to do that, he won't be very good.

To me, Mangini proved that he knows how to coach a team and isn't just a product of the Pats system. He needs more time to grow, but he has the ability. IMO, the bad decision was made by the Jets.

I really like the guy - his history, his demeanor - there's something about him that Romeo never projected.

Well i hope to god Mangini can bring the luck of Health to the browns with him!

I think that is what you were saying?...

If the browns were healthy this past year they could have hit 8-8 ...fully healthy next year?...9-7 ? we shall see...

come on JOE J AND TUCKER!!!!!

Based on comments by Mangini, how he runs the ship, and comments by others about him, he wasn't thrilled bringed Favre in so late in the preseason and releasing Pennington.

...which might be what you would expect someone coming off a defacto 8-8 season who's trying to get another job to say.

Unfortunately most you have seemed to conveniently overlooked the fact that Mangini promised Favre that if he came to the Jets he would name his son in Favre's honor.

Don't believe it? Ask Zack Brett Mangini what he thinks.

....when the Jets were recruiting the NFL's career leader in touchdown throws, Mangini made the middle name a negotiating chip.

"I explained that history and explained that we were pregnant with our third child," Mangini said. "I really believed that he could be an instrumental part in another good year and an important part of my football life and I would commit to Zack Brett Mangini at that point. That was part of our terms, and we stuck with it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3636994

I'm not telling you guys anything you didn't know am I? I'm sure you guys have mentioned that fact multiple times and researched your new head coach and know he was a big proponent of bringing Favre in - after all, this is the guy you want having big input in personnel decisions.

You have to expect that at the very least Lerner who made the hire knows this and is very happy with that sort of decision that Mangini made.

Or were you guys thinking Mangini makes a habit of naming his children after players who he's completely opposed to bringing in?

I'm not expecting you guys to thrown Mangini under the bus this fast - he's your head coach now like it or not. But this revisionist history to convince yourself he's a victim of a $140 million spending spree (which you believe he also had no input into) and a QB he never wanted is kind of pathetic.

Guest Masters

Opposed to bringing a guy in and having respect, liking, and naming your kid after him can very easily be two different things. Not saying that is the case, but that's a shakey connection to try and draw.

Winning seasons in 2 of your 3 seasons as a first time HC ain't bad, no matter how you slice it. Including beating the Patriots twice in their own stadium.

Opposed to bringing a guy in and having respect, liking, and naming your kid after him can very easily be two different things. Not saying that is the case, but that's a shakey connection to try and draw.

Read the article and you'll see that Mangini stated very clearly that he wanted Favre because he thought he'd be an important addition to the team that season, and important to Mangini's own "football life".

Later in the season, when Mangini was shocked to discover that Favre was prone to making INTs, he was a little less chummy with Brett, but if you're assessing Mangini's personnel decision making abilities, I'd say this is a big one.

Guest Masters

I still don't think bringing Brett in was a terrible idea. They were 8-3 at one point, including beating the PATs in Foxboro, TEN, and in 1st place. When Brett started to hurt, he pressed and made more mistakes, as well as wasn't able to get the ball into the spots he normally could. If Brett's arm didn't get hurt (which we all now know it was and for the last 5 weeks of the season), maybe it's a whole different story.

Hindsight is always 20/20. I am sure GB didn't envision becoming a sub .500 team after trading Brett either.

Guest Masters

Oh, and I've read the articles. I read them when they first came out. Should I dig up all the articles and so called experts saying what a great move it was too?

You're afully obsesed with Mangini.

Shall I point out all the threads and statements here with Browns fans defending Mangni by saying that he didn't want Favre and was opposed to bringing him in?

Whether other experts agreed or disagreed with Favre isn't really the point either.

There's a lot of fans here who don't seem to know that Mangini was a BIG supporter of bringing in Favre and are actually trying to convince themselves that he was OPPOSED to bringing him in.

You might want to correct them in the future so I won't have to.

Shall I point out all the threads and statements here with Browns fans defending Mangni by saying that he didn't want Favre and was opposed to bringing him in?

Whether other experts agreed or disagreed with Favre isn't really the point either.

There's a lot of fans here who don't seem to know that Mangini was a BIG supporter of bringing in Favre and are actually trying to convince themselves that he was OPPOSED to bringing him in.

Why don't you move out of your mama's basement and get a life...............................loser

Wasn't there a loser Steeler troll named "Joe SixPack"? What is it about naming oneself after a sextuplet of beer (or is it some gay "abs" reference?) that makes one troll other teams' boards looking for some sort of validation in life?

Although, I do like the fact that, all of the sudden, the Raiders, Pats and Jets all seem to hate us. Maybe we can win the AFC next year and piss the rest of them off too.

Mangini seems like some sort of nerd magnet though.

Zombo

Wasn't there a loser Steeler troll named "Joe SixPack"? What is it about naming oneself after a sextuplet of beer (or is it some gay "abs" reference?) that makes one troll other teams' boards looking for some sort of validation in life?

Although, I do like the fact that, all of the sudden, the Raiders, Pats and Jets all seem to hate us. Maybe we can win the AFC next year and piss the rest of them off too.

Zombo

It's the Mangina nickname.

It gets these guys? all confused even more about their sexuality.

Zombo

I will help you understand. The Browns play in the NFL. Every team in the NFL try to win the Super Bowl every year. The Steelers won this 5 times. They have a good chance at winning it a 6th time. Hence "Joe SIX Pack". Just incase you are wondering, the Browns never even made it to a super Bowl.

I will help you understand. The Browns play in the NFL. Every team in the NFL try to win the Super Bowl every year. The Steelers won this 5 times. They have a good chance at winning it a 6th time. Hence "Joe SIX Pack". Just incase you are wondering, the Browns never even made it to a super Bowl.

Hey Peaches, can you remind us again how much the Stillers dominated the NFL prior to 1972 and Clevelander Chuck Noll/ Kent State product Jackie Lambert?

Thanks

Another pimpledick to join the trolls. One more and they can have a circle jerk.

Thank you, Mr.Obvious can't slip anything past you,can we?

Guest Masters

Shall I point out the # of threads you have started about Mangini on this board in the past 3 days?

Your like Ray Finkle w/ his obsession with Marino. Obsess much?

Shall I point out the # of threads you have started about Mangini on this board in the past 3 days?

Your like Ray Finkle w/ his obsession with Marino. Obsess much?

OK - I'll admit ignorance on this one. I have no idea who Ray Finkle is. Take a bow because you've demonstrated your command of football knowledge on that one.

Just this one? Because there are so many others sadly going unclaimed...

I googled Ray Finkle and Dan Marino.

Are you actually thinking you've impressed your fellow football fans with your ability to quote Jim Carey movies that target pre-pubescent teens?

:rolleyes: Please - attempt to mock me some more!

Read the article and you'll see that Mangini stated very clearly that he wanted Favre because he thought he'd be an important addition to the team that season, and important to Mangini's own "football life".

Later in the season, when Mangini was shocked to discover that Favre was prone to making INTs, he was a little less chummy with Brett, but if you're assessing Mangini's personnel decision making abilities, I'd say this is a big one.

If Favre isn't injured, he doesn't go 1TD/7ints. You act like his implosion was imminent - it really wasn't until he got injured. I'm sure Mangini was smart enough to know he is prone to turnovers (he'd seen it up to that point as it was). There is more to that story than you know, despite the fact you think you 'know it all'.

I was aware of the story about his son, but hadn't heard the entire thing.

I can say he was a victim of an owner and GM apparently trying to put asses into the seats for the new stadium. You act like he was completely to blame - looking from the outside in, he wasn't.

Yeah, Manging was the mastermind behind the 140million dollary spending-spree, just like Romeo Crennel spent all the money of FAs for Cleveland.

If all you're here to do is 'educate' us about how the coach sucks, go the xxxx away.

Guest Masters
I googled Ray Finkle and Dan Marino.

Are you actually thinking you've impressed your fellow football fans with your ability to quote Jim Carey movies that target pre-pubescent teens?

:rolleyes: Please - attempt to mock me some more!

I think I've mocked you plenty since it made you google it to even get it. Though some how I think you still missed the point.

Guest Masters
If Favre isn't injured, he doesn't go 1TD/7ints. You act like his implosion was imminent - it really wasn't until he got injured. I'm sure Mangini was smart enough to know he is prone to turnovers (he'd seen it up to that point as it was). There is more to that story than you know, despite the fact you think you 'know it all'.

I was aware of the story about his son, but hadn't heard the entire thing.

I can say he was a victim of an owner and GM apparently trying to put asses into the seats for the new stadium. You act like he was completely to blame - looking from the outside in, he wasn't.

Yeah, Manging was the mastermind behind the 140million dollary spending-spree, just like Romeo Crennel spent all the money of FAs for Cleveland.

If all you're here to do is 'educate' us about how the coach sucks, go the xxxx away.

The sad part is you know this dude was likely on a Jets board for the last 3 years talking trash about Mangini too. Some people just can't move on.

Guest Masters
It's like Lumbergh's love affair with Brady Quinn.

What is it about our board that attracts the weirdos?

I'll at least give Lum credit that he's on the board for DA's team slurping on him and bashing Quinn. The idea of cheat fans, I mean Pats fans, have to follow around a dude who was on the Pats coaching staff almost 4 years ago is just messed up.

Archived