THE BROWNS BOARD

rate your OC

dsdamaged

welcome

Rob Chudzinski is a really good coordinator with a really complicated offense that uses ALOT of motion. He also favors tight ends, so it would be in your bst interest to get a deep threat TE like winslow, or gates. He uses the WR's well and has a solid run plan when he chooses to execute it.

The main knock on chud is his inability to make adjustments, sometime he will stick to something even when it clearly isnt working, coupled with a disciplinary head coach who is not afraid to shoot him down once in a while, chud is a very valuable OC, as far as grading I'd say a solid B

I agree with above, he is move of a verticle pass game coordinator and likes to use his TEs a lot for underneath routes. He was a darling his first year here, but sort of stumbled this year. There are many reasons, first, we went through 4 QBs here and he had to revise game plans to suit the QBs, plus we had some locker room turmoil because of some prima donnas.

The team became dysfunctional and the play calling became very basic and not as imaginative as last year.

He loves strong armed QBs and would probably love to bring D. Anderson with him. He loved Anderson's rocket arm.

Great last year, not so great this year. I'd let him stick around if he could revert to last year's playcalling though for the most part.

Had a lot of personnel problems that hindered his play calling this year. 4 QBs and a pro bowl receiver who forgot how to catch the ball. A pro bowl TE that was hurt. A offensive line that was hurt and missing parts all season. Also a premier RB (Lewis) who wanted the game plan to revolve around him.

Got to give Chud a pass for this year. He was screwed from training camp.

He also favors tight ends, so it would be in your bst interest to get a deep threat TE like winslow, or gates.

If the Niners get Chud, mark Vernon Davis down as a Top 5 fantasy TE...

thank you, it was really hard to gauge him, had a great year in 07 but 08 looked kinda bad. but i do remember some QB problems as well as alot of drops. seems like he has kind of the same philosophy as martz which is odd considering we just fired him, and new coach singletary said in is press conference he was looking for a power running OC. i appreciate the info. good luck with your new coaching hire. sorry romeo didnt work out. i remember when you guys got him there was alot of interest from niner fans for him as well. turns out neither of us made out very well with the coaches we ended up with.

If the Niners get Chud, mark Vernon Davis down as a Top 5 fantasy TE...

that was indeed one of the selling points over on our boards, everybody is still waiting for vernon davis to break out, and many feel chud would get the most out of him. martz never seemed to want to use him as much more than a blocker.

hey guys niner fan here, rumor has it we are interviewing linehan and chud this weekend for OC, i would appreciate an honest opinion from you guys on chud..thanks

It's difficult to give him a fair assessment in 2008 because he had 4 different QBs and we didn't score an offensive TD over the final 6 weeks of the season. Jurevicius and Stallworth were both injured most of the season, Edwards had the dropsies, Winslow and Heiden both got hurt and Jamal Lewis ran like he was wearing 50 pound cleats. Starting RG Tucker got hurt and then his replacment McKinney got hurt while Steinbach played injured (which limited his success).

When we beat the Giants early in the season - we had to overcome alot of stupid/avoidable penalties. Therefore, the strategy was there but the discipline was not. I know Chud always got alot of credit for how he utilized Winslow. However, I was REALLY impressed at how he used our other TEs when Winslow couldn't play vrs the Giants. It seemed like we did a MUCH better job of setting the edge in our running game that night and they conributed to the passing game as well.

In 2007, we went 10-6 mainly because of our offense. That's because Chud did a nice job. Edwards scored 16 TDs, Jamal Lewis was 15-20 pounds lighter which amounted to over 1300 yards on the ground and Winslow had a great year. We were healthier all over the offense and our starting oline stayed in tact from wire to wire.

Nobody likes to play chess with just pawns. If you're healthy and talented, Chud will do a nice job. If you're injured and lacking depth, he's not gonna be Houdini.

- Tom F.

Jamal Lewis was 15-20 pounds lighter which amounted to over 1300 yards on the ground

- Tom F.

It was actually the other way around Tom. In '07 when he weighed roughly 245 lb he was much more effective between the tackles.

For preparation of the '08 season he dropped about 10 lbs in an attempt to combat age and gain some speed, a brainchild of he and his RB coach for the "feature" role.

Since the results did not merit the adjustment I suspect he'll add the mass back on for the '09 season, maybe even more, possibly becoming delegated to situational play and mentoring for the rest of his Browns tenure.

It seems likely they will bring someone in now that they know Jamal can no longer attain the speeds desired by slimming down. Honestly, I don't know if he really gained much speed anyway--to me it seemed like he just lost power.

If he reprises the '07 physique, it may still be sufficient to hold off addressing that position one more year.

Archived