THE BROWNS BOARD

Hartline Going Pro?

BigBrownsFan

Looks like Hartline is going pro - one of the reasons indicated was the issue of Pryor being the QB. That is very interesting. Anyone else heard of this?

Yea, look at his receptions last year and look this year. He was basically a decoy. I believe they threw one pass his way against Texas. Harline doesn't think he can enhance his draft status by staying another year with Pryor at QB.

Yea, look at his receptions last year and look this year. He was basically a decoy. I believe they threw one pass his way against Texas. Harline doesn't think he can enhance his draft status by staying another year with Pryor at QB.

That is what I heard as well. Earlier this year I heard some compelling stories about Pryor's attitude towards some of his teammates. One in particular was in a game when Boeckman was trying to give him some advice about something and Pryor basically blew him off and made some snide comment about "I am the QB of this team now" or something like that. It was just reiterated again this evening from a poster who is pretty spot on with the ins and outs of the team. I guess there was a huge wedge between players this year with some of this. This sort of goes back to what I was saying about Pryor and his attitude - obviously I catch grief about it, but there are things out there that would point to such.

Just find it interesting, is all. I really do not see Hartline even going before the 4th round.

What do you guys think? Early second day pick maybe? Possibly jumping into the third with a good combine?

He has a lot better speed then people think. A good athlete, was a HS QB. Has very good hands and finds a way to get open against a zone defense. Maybe a Welker type receiver in the right system. I'd take him in the mid to bottom of the 3rd round.

He has a lot better speed then people think. A good athlete, was a HS QB. Has very good hands and finds a way to get open against a zone defense. Maybe a Welker type receiver in the right system. I'd take him in the mid to bottom of the 3rd round.

:huh: Brian Hartline was not a QB in HS.

Looks like Wells, Hartline, and Robiskie will all come out. I would leave if I were a WR and I saw how that kid throws. Man, they had to be missing Boeckman bad.

And he's gonna be there three more years. Good luck recruiting wide outs, too.

Haha. You act like 3 more years is a bad thing. I'm not going to get into this much, but he was a TRUE FRESHMAN QB. He has all the skills with a weird throwing motion. He isn't an NFL QB, but he will be an GREAT college QB. I don't know how many time I counted where Boeckman would have been sacked. Ask Mack Brown before and after the game about Pryor. He stated both times he will be a Heisman candidate and will win a NC.

And about WRs, ask the next great receiver DeVier Posey (who the WR coach said was the best on the team and in years, but didn't play much out of respect for Hartline and Robiskie), Duron Carter (Cris's son), and maybe Marlon Browns (2nd best receiver coming in this year). All those guys seem to like the idea of Pryor.

Guest Masters
Looks like Wells, Hartline, and Robiskie will all come out. I would leave if I were a WR and I saw how that kid throws. Man, they had to be missing Boeckman bad.

And he's gonna be there three more years. Good luck recruiting wide outs, too.

I don't think anyone actually missed Todd "I am a senior yet take sacks and never throw away" Boeckman.

Both Hartline and Robiskie almost entered the draft last year. They came back to try and win a title like a lot of the guys.

Pryor is an 18 year old kid who was able to get away with using his natural athletic ability in HS. At least give him a chance to develope.

Guest Masters
I just can't see Hartline getting drafted. At the most he will probably be drafted in the 7th. He just doesn't have the production

He was talked about as a day one pick last year when there was talk he might turn pro.

You sure he didn't play any QB is HS. I thought he converted to WR his senior year. could be mistaken.

Nah I actually went to school with him and his brother.

His brother was the QB and plays for Kentucky. Hartline got hurt like the 1st or 2nd game of his senior year and missed the rest of the year.

Also graduated with Kosta Koufos

EDIT:Guess he did play some QB, didnt know that.

18 year old kids tend to have maturity and character issues because well THEY ARE 18. Not and excuse but I have a feeling that Tressel will have time to correct his team chemistry and maturity problems. Ray Small still does not get a lot of playing time because of his off field and practice character problems. I doubt Tressel will have a problem "helping" Pryor in the right direction.

Hartline could definately be a Welker type, Gonzo is doing fine at Indy and I would not blame him because playing with Pryor another year probably wont help his draft stock.

BigBrown is our resident OSU insider who just so happens to be the biggest Buckeye and Pryor hater here.

This is reminiscent of Pukers coming here constantly to tell us what a knob Winslow is.

I guess I need to start following the Buckeyes more closely, I'm out of the loop.

The moment Pryor took over this became a transition year. I don't look at a lot of numbers but it's obvious the WR's stock dropped immensely. I'd love to have hartline back but I understand his feelings.

Yes, Boeckman had the experience and the better arm... but he'd have the concussion to go with it also if he continued starting. This O line had some big holes in it and a rookie center. TP was frustrating to watch at times but when I take a step back and just appreciate the kid's ability to make someone miss... amazing.

TP wants to be an NFL qb and he knows right now he is not. Thanks to Troy Smith, we have seen what this coaching staff is capable of doing in a few years with someone who is willing to put in the time and focuses. Tp is a project, no question, but a fun one to watch the next few years.

We've all ready seen growth this year. The first time he threw a corner fade in the end zone I was ecstatic. A play that was missing for several weeks when Pryor took over because he was not capable of making the play.

I don't think we'll miss a lot of wr recruits. At this point, any wr recruit will be a year behind pryor. Barring a phenom, you're not going to get a ton of playing time as a freshman. So, by my fuzzy math, any new recruit enrolling this summer will more than likely play a maximum of two years with pryor, should he stay for a senior year. AND, if he learns to be a qb, why wouldn't you want to take a shot at a National Championship with this guy as your qb?

My two best friends are absolutely crazy buckeye fans, and they've got their fingers on the pulse of everything Buckeye. They have not heard one peep about any character issues with Pryor, and not a single word about him not getting along with Boeckman, Hartline, or any other players. I found an article online about his development where they interviewed Rory Nichol, and Nichol had glowing reviews about not only his talent, but of his work-ethic, respect for his teammates, coaches, and the program, and about how well everyone loved him. He got similar praise from Brian Robiski.

So, until something more concrete shows up from a source other than an opposing fan or OSU hater, I'm going to choose to believe that he's doing everything right so far. I'm not going to be blind to reality, but I've seen nothing so far to make me feel otherwise.

Explain :)

Well from what I hear, and dont take this as fact because it is what I heard, because he has taken over the QB spot and because he is "the man" at ohio state, he frequents many parties and demands sex from women as if he were entitiled to it, when a women has the balls to say no he insults them, and degrades them until they feel guilty not to do him. I heard of a specific incident whee he locked himslef in the bathroom with a girl until she agreed to have sex with him, although I also heard that he locked her in there with him so Its all on he said she said.

but I definately think his character is in question.

For as big as the campus is Playground that sort of news would make the Lantern and thereby Tressel's desk. Yes Football is worshipped there for the most part but there are a ton of journalism students who would love to break the story on the "main man" on campus.

That story has not made the Lantern (not saying its untrue) but campus life there is not real controlled and Tressel has a lot of ears all over on and off campus. I personally HIGHLY doubt this story but anything is possible with kids his age and ego's that can go with them. It does not seem very likely considering every interview I have seen this kid in and the way Tressel runs his program.

Personally I think other programs ahem Michigan are jealous of OSU having TP.... Texas could barely contain him and he seems to want to be a pro qb and is very motivated. The off field stuff does worry me.... maurice clarett syndrome from time to time.

The moment Pryor took over this became a transition year. I don't look at a lot of numbers but it's obvious the WR's stock dropped immensely. I'd love to have hartline back but I understand his feelings.

The Buckeyes WR's got screwed over this move, and they still played as a team and never complained which is unusual for a WR.

If Pryor cant learn how to stay in the pocket and pass a football correctly they need to find a new QB and move pryor to WR.

Pryor is the worst QB in all of college football, if he couldnt run he wouldnt be the starter.

Guest Masters
The Buckeyes WR's got screwed over this move, and they still played as a team and never complained which is unusual for a WR.

If Pryor cant learn how to stay in the pocket and pass a football correctly they need to find a new QB and move pryor to WR.

Pryor is the worst QB in all of college football, if he couldnt run he wouldnt be the starter.

You hit on something, but it's also part of keeping in mind the kid was a true freshman playing. Prior looks to run very quickly. But you have to figure he did that a lot in HS and got away with it. He was a better athlete than most of the people he ever had to face. That is not a habit any coach can break in a couple of months. Give the kid time. Remember how Troy Smith looked his first year? And he wasn't even a true freshman when he started.

Looks like Hartline is going pro - one of the reasons indicated was the issue of Pryor being the QB. That is very interesting. Anyone else heard of this?

I wonder if he'll even get drafted. Robiske will probably be a day 2 draft pick. It didn't seem like either kid had blazing speed to me. That's not really on Pryor. At least with Ginn, Holmes and Gonzales - they all ran 4.4s or less which intrigued scouts at the next level. I didn't see this with any of the WRs in 2007 or 2008 though.

I couldn't STAND watching Boeckman in 2007. He was atrocious against Illinois. Pryor was ONLY a freshman in 2008 and people need to get over it. When Tressell had Troy Smith there was very little to complain about during his junior and senior seasons. This is on TRESSELL to make the offense right for Pryor since he won the recruiting war for the most sought after QB in the nation. Get a BIG TE with hands like Texas gave VY (Dave Thomas) and get a WR like Limas Sweed to win the jump balls and position against smaller DBs. If we wanted the next Vince Young at the COLLEGE level then why are we expecting the next Bernie Kosar or Jim Kelly instead? I didn't want to see Pryor overrating his passing skills and underrating his footspeed as often as I did. I'm hoping this is just freshman stuff. I also wished he wasn't so incoherent about the sidelines and how much more room he had ahead of him before stepping out of bounds prematurely the way he did so many times.

I hope the kid is as coachable as Troy Smith was because I really enjoyed the last 2 seasons of Troy Smith going Elway on the favored Michigan team. My favorite season as a Buckeye fan was the year we lost 5 juniors to the NFL draft and 9 starters from the defense so I was hoping it was a nice competitive rebuilding year until Troy Smith showed me how special he was. The ONLY bad game I remember from him was a night they played a much faster and better prepared Florida team. I THINK we can cut him some slack when we saw Bradford's offense (who averaged over 60 points a game for a 5 week stretch) only scoring 14 points against the same Florida team. Oklahoma didn't give up 41 points like Ohio State's defense did so it was more competitive. If Mo Clarett wasn't such a selfish scum bag - I might have enjoyed that National Championship more. I couldn't stand his ass.

- Tom F.

Guest Masters
If Mo Clarett wasn't such a selfish scum bag - I might have enjoyed that National Championship more. I couldn't stand his ass.

- Tom F.

That was all because of Andy Gieger, or so I have been told that all of Mo's problems were because of him.

Good post Tom!

Archived