THE BROWNS BOARD

The 3-4

Guest 88fingerslewy

Guest 88fingerslewy

One thing about the Ryan's, the only thing that resembles a 3-4 is if you count the lineman and LB's on the field at the same time. They throw so many curve balls and wrinkles at offenses then the BASE look we're used to.

My hope is, when we see our defense next year we'll be thinking before the snap "Man, I wonder what we're gonna throw at 'em this time." Instead of, "watch this, we're either going to rush 3 or rush 4." Real edge of your seat stuff....yawn.

If Ryan's our guy, I'll bet he turns a completely different looking and playing defense loose on other teams.

Let's hope

Like Singletary said, "I want players where football MATTERS to them."

It'd be a nice change.

If we get ryan he will turn our pressureless 3-4 into a qb killing machine with many different bases and schemes in one package and he will do it with a lot of the talent we already have..the difference in this years defense to next year will be day and night..our defense players will love ryan and play hard for him..

What the hell we waiting for.. give ryan his price and bring him home!

the only thing that resembles a 3-4 is if you count the lineman and LB's on the field at the same time.

That's the point. If you have four guys with their hands in the dirt, then you basically know who the four rushers are. Making the fourth rusher a linebacker disguises things. He can play hand in the dirt or not.

One thing that Mangini did that I thought was brilliant was in 2007 when playing the Pats. Instead of having three down linemen and four backers,....he had all seven guys milling around (ie., no one down on the line) and then at the snap, they broke out with four or five breaking towards the QB and the rest to assignments. It was the weirdst thing but it was effective. They really had no clue who the rushers were. I hope he does that again.

One thing that Mangini did that I thought was brilliant was in 2007 when playing the Pats. Instead of having three down linemen and four backers,....he had all seven guys milling around (ie., no one down on the line) and then at the snap, they broke out with four or five breaking towards the QB and the rest to assignments. It was the weirdest thing but it was effective. They really had no clue who the rushers were. I hope he does that again.

it's what the steelers and ravens do, and they're easily the most successful 3-4 teams in the league year in and year out.

if we don't use a UFO-type D, which we won't, i'll be sorely disappointed. it's one of the prime advantages of the 3-4 to not know where the rushers are coming from, and it's something we can make even more of an advantage when we go to a 2-4-5 in obvious passing downs.

doing anything less is making the pass D less effective than it could be and a sign of an unimaginative coach, a la rac.

Archived