THE BROWNS BOARD

Steve King: Mangini's ascent complete

Koa

Good read. I really liked what Mangini had to say.

In Berea, Mangini's ascent complete

Steve King, Staff Writer

Old habits die hard.

"It's different to be back in this context," Eric Mangini said Thursday morning in his introductory press conference at Browns Headquarters in Berea. "I feel like I should be getting Bucci's or coffee, or that I should be heading over to the equipment room to pick up towels."

Those were some of Mangini's jobs a decade and a half ago during his first stint in Cleveland (Bucci's is a restaurant in the Cleveland suburb of Berea, where the training facility is located). But they're certainly not his responsibilities now.

Once at the bottom of the totem poll when he got his start in the NFL as a public relations intern with the Browns in 1994, followed by his being a coaches assistant the following year under head coach Bill Belichick, Mangini now is the head coach of the team.

"It is really special to be back here where I got my first opportunity," said Mangini. "When I first came to Cleveland, I was a 23-year-old ballboy. I had to explain that to my mom. I had a lot of student loans to pay off, and she sees this picture of me where I'm with these 11- and 12-year-olds and I've got my arm around them. I've got towels draped over my shoulders.

"It was a hard sell - a hard sell. I kept saying, ‘Mom, this is the Cleveland Browns. Do you understand? The Cleveland Browns.' She didn't really understand that at first. It took some explaining.

"And when Randy (Lerner, Browns owner) called me last week, it was the same feeling - that same level of excitement, that same level of pride. It was the Dawg Pound. It was Jim Brown. It was all those special things of one of the most storied franchises in NFL history, and arguably the most storied franchise in NFL history.

"I remember thinking about the fans. All fans love football and they love their team. The difference is that Cleveland fans live football. It's a special intensity."

Mangini later added as he stressed character and performance on and off the field, "I have three sons. I want them to be Browns fans not because their dad is the head coach of the Browns. I want them to be Browns fans because of what we do on Sunday. I want them to be Browns fans also for what we do the other six days of the week.

"When I was here the first time, I made a lot of friends in Cleveland and I really know what good, hard-working, caring people are in this city. And what I want to promise to them is that we're going to have good, hard-working, caring people in this organization. We're all going to be working toward the same goal.

"I promise you that that's the vision. That's what we'll be pushing for every single day, and that's what working for every single day."

He seemed to mean every word of it.

"I couldn't be happier to come home to Cleveland and see a lot of old friends here," Mangini said.

Only this time, it will be, as Mangini said, "different."

What do you like in your coffee? And where do you want these towels to be put?

Good read. I really liked what Mangini had to say.

In Berea, Mangini's ascent complete

Steve King, Staff Writer

Old habits die hard.

"It's different to be back in this context," Eric Mangini said Thursday morning in his introductory press conference at Browns Headquarters in Berea. "I feel like I should be getting Bucci's or coffee, or that I should be heading over to the equipment room to pick up towels."

Those were some of Mangini's jobs a decade and a half ago during his first stint in Cleveland (Bucci's is a restaurant in the Cleveland suburb of Berea, where the training facility is located). But they're certainly not his responsibilities now.

Once at the bottom of the totem poll when he got his start in the NFL as a public relations intern with the Browns in 1994, followed by his being a coaches assistant the following year under head coach Bill Belichick, Mangini now is the head coach of the team.

"It is really special to be back here where I got my first opportunity," said Mangini. "When I first came to Cleveland, I was a 23-year-old ballboy. I had to explain that to my mom. I had a lot of student loans to pay off, and she sees this picture of me where I'm with these 11- and 12-year-olds and I've got my arm around them. I've got towels draped over my shoulders.

"It was a hard sell - a hard sell. I kept saying, ‘Mom, this is the Cleveland Browns. Do you understand? The Cleveland Browns.' She didn't really understand that at first. It took some explaining.

"And when Randy (Lerner, Browns owner) called me last week, it was the same feeling - that same level of excitement, that same level of pride. It was the Dawg Pound. It was Jim Brown. It was all those special things of one of the most storied franchises in NFL history, and arguably the most storied franchise in NFL history.

"I remember thinking about the fans. All fans love football and they love their team. The difference is that Cleveland fans live football. It's a special intensity."

Mangini later added as he stressed character and performance on and off the field, "I have three sons. I want them to be Browns fans not because their dad is the head coach of the Browns. I want them to be Browns fans because of what we do on Sunday. I want them to be Browns fans also for what we do the other six days of the week.

"When I was here the first time, I made a lot of friends in Cleveland and I really know what good, hard-working, caring people are in this city. And what I want to promise to them is that we're going to have good, hard-working, caring people in this organization. We're all going to be working toward the same goal.

"I promise you that that's the vision. That's what we'll be pushing for every single day, and that's what working for every single day."

He seemed to mean every word of it.

"I couldn't be happier to come home to Cleveland and see a lot of old friends here," Mangini said.

Only this time, it will be, as Mangini said, "different."

What do you like in your coffee? And where do you want these towels to be put?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

I think he looked really chuffed towards the end of that video, like he's ready to put his heart into this job.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

I think he looked really chuffed towards the end of that video, like he's ready to put his heart into this job.

Agreed, why people are criticizing him already I have no idea. These people that hate Mangini are afraid of losing. They look at his record in NY. So what if its rocky? Same thing happened with Belichik here, he sucked but went to different team and won three super bowls. Mangini sucked in NY, went to another team(Browns), and we only hope for what can happen next! Give the guy a chance people! Sheesh!

GO BROWNS!

Archived