THE BROWNS BOARD

Taking Helmets

bigbambo

off while on the field of play. Has the rule changed since Rudd loss the KC game? I see lots of players remove their helmets and have yet to see it called. ONLY IN CLEVELAND

I don't think I have heard of it being called since that incident. I think that the refs are being told that unless it is a completely blatant situation that they should just cool it with calling those kind of plays. I suspect that the Browns owner may have also read the commissioner the riot act over his team losing a game over that kind of call.

I’ve seen it called when the helmet is taken off in celebration and its obvious the player has no intention of leaving the field of play. But if they are removing their helmet while still on the field as they are leaving the field (substituted, change of possession, etc.) then they don’t call it. Our LB took his off in obvious celebration before the play was even over. That’s pretty egregious.

Can't say I've noticed players intentionally taking their helmets off.

Since the 2010 season though I have noticed that players helmets tend to come off while making tackles getting tackled, whatever - a lot more often. I suspect maybe they made some changes to the helmets to reduce concussions and that's why they seem to be coming off more often.

Archived