THE BROWNS BOARD

Jets Players React

Earl34

I don't like the idea of the media floating the insinuation that the players and coaches hated Mangini. How about a quote?

Here's some quotes to the contrary:

"I am really happy for Coach Mangini," Washington said in the e-mail. "I learned so much from him while he had his tenure with the Jets. His hardworking, selfless and competitive approach really helped me...The Browns got themselves a really good coach."

Jets long snapper James Dearth said the Browns are a good fit for Mangini. "They run the same type of defense there, so they already have the right personnel for him. I hope he does well there," Dearth said

If the coaches hated him, then why are Daboll and Mazzone coming?

When the whole team was bashing Favre last week, they said Mangini should not have taken the fall. That's where the team and coaches stand. The rest is NYC spin.

My point EXACTLY. NY writers and fans will spin it anyway that they want to legitimize his scapegoating.

My point EXACTLY. NY writers and fans will spin it anyway that they want to legitimize his scapegoating.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ........................................................

Eric Mangini Says Goodbye to His Players

Published: 12-29-08

By Eric Allen

Senior Managing Editor

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/s...-to-his-players

Moments after Eric Mangini addressed the New York Jets a final time this morning, the players addressed the departure of their former head coach.

“It’s a level of disappointment,” said veteran LG Alan Faneca. “You feel like you ended the season bad and then this happens. You feel like you let him down.”

In two of Mangini’s three seasons, the Jets finished with a winning record. But they stumbled badly down the stretch in '08, cooling off in December as they went from playoff lock to on the outside looking in.

“That’s the NFL. The margin for error is so slim. One or two plays and we’re right there in the playoffs,” said safety Abe Elam.

Woody Johnson has set a high bar for his team and this was a tough move he felt he had to make. The Jets failed to obtain playoff entry for a second consecutive season and that hadn’t happened since the NFL approved Johnson's purchase of the franchise on Jan. 18, 2000.

After winning eight of their first 11 contests, the Jets did not meet their own expectations as they lost four of five. There was just no brake to the slide and Johnson and general manager Mike Tannenbaum made a decision to part ways with Mangini late Sunday night.

“We had a disappointing season based on the personnel and the guys we had in here," said wide receiver Laveranues Coles. "We had a great coaching staff also that gave us a lot of opportunities. You can’t put all the blame on the head coach or the coaching staff. I think a lot of that blame falls on the locker room and it starts with me first.”

There were no celebrations today at the Atlantic Health Training Center in Florham Park, N.J. Johnson and Tannenbaum praised Mangini for his efforts and thanked him for what he has done for the organization. The players took the high road as well, placing blame on themselves for a lack of execution.

“With the way that we performed with everything on the line, I knew we were doing him in,” said a visibly dejected Jerricho Cotchery. “It comes down to making plays in December and beating the man across from you.”

The Jets just lost too many battles and Mangini lost his job as a result. Cotchery called the dismissal “the toughest thing” he’s gone through in his career. He respected Mangini for giving him a chance on the football field and he knew him unlike many did away from it.

“Getting to know him as a family man, as a dad, as a husband to his wife, I saw the kind of guy he is and I’m really glad I got the chance to get to know him,” J-Co said. “He’s a really good guy. He’s taught me a lot about football and life.”

Mangini, often a stoic presence on the sideline, had a soft side that most never got the chance to see. He was a complex figure, fiercely guarded and protective of his team and a man who worked tirelessly. He not only wanted to win football games in the worst way, but he gushed about his family and took on a great community responsibility.

Extremely tough on his players in the early stages of ’06, the then-35-year-old set a tone of accountability. Even though he would lighten up along the way with shortened practices and even the use of the indoor fieldhouse this season, there will always be the memory of Brett Favre running a penalty lap at a Hofstra training camp practice.

“When he was being tough on us, it wasn’t because he wanted to be a butt, but it was because he wanted to get the best out of us and he wanted to win,” Coles said. “Him relaying that message and letting the guys know he truly cared about us was really important.”

The hope Johnson and Tannenbaum share is that they’ll find a replacement who will build off Mangini’s foundation. There is talent here and the Jets will find a good mind to lead them in 2009.

“Whoever they bring in, I know we definitely have a lot of good pieces in place as far as personnel to really have some success,” said veteran RT Damien Woody. “I trust that Woody and Mike will be thorough in their search and bring in the right guy so they can take advantage of everything that’s in place already.”

The final game of the Mangini era was a 24-17 loss to Miami at the Meadowlands. The Dolphins claimed the AFC East with the victory as they completed a dramatic turnaround from worst to first. But the Green & White never quit on Mangini.

On their final play from scrimmage and 96 yards away from the end zone, they attempted to pull out a miracle with a bunch of laterals. If you were at practice over the past three years, you know it was a play practiced by Mangini because he prepared his guys for every possible situation.

“We fought all the way until the last play,” Coles said. “When a team quits, you don’t have that at the end of a ballgame.”

The Jets and Eric Mangini parted ways today. They had a successful relationship but perhaps they’ll both grow more now that they're apart from each other.

“I have always believed things will work out the way they’re supposed to,” said team MVP Thomas Jones. “I think Eric will wind up in a place he’s supposed to end up and I think the team will go in a direction it’s supposed to go. I think everything happens for a reason.”

Kris Jenkins Reflects on the Challenges of '08

Published: 12-30-08

By Tim Carlson

Reporter

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/s...hallenges-of-08

In his last locker room appearance of 2008, Kris Jenkins talked about some challenges he faced in his first year as a 3-4 nose tackle, as well as his feelings on the departure of Eric Mangini as his head coach.

“All I can honestly say is that I’m appreciative of the opportunity I got,” Jenkins said Monday, “and I’m thankful that Mangini was the one to give me that shot, gave me that opportunity. And I’m going to miss him.”

Jenkins admitted to being surprised upon hearing the news that Mangini would not return for '09, but he understands that the transaction was strictly business.

“Everybody that’s around, in their own way, is doing what they feel is best,” he said. “So there’s nobody that I can be upset at. You have to accept the reality of this game. I don’t think that anybody could be mad at anybody.

“You know, I just had a great man for a coach and I’ve got to watch him go.”

Jenkins dominated the opposition early in the season and the Jets’ pass rush seemed to follow suit, so speculation as to the severity of Jenkins’ injuries swirled when the team’s sack production dropped later in the year.

“If you want the honest truth,” said Jenkins, “did I deal with some injuries that concerned my hip? Yes, my hip and my back.”

Jenkins explained why he struggled to keep healthy and how it affected his game.

“I had some issues with my hips and it’s just because this is my first year in a new position,” he said. “In a 4-3 you’re coming off the ball, so the way that I’m coming off the ball I’m using different muscle groups. You don’t have to roll your hips like you do with 3-4 nose that you do in 4-3. You’ve got to come off the ball some, so it was just getting accustomed to a new position over the course of a season.

“I got to learn the position and it’s not just learning it in training camp so I could be good for the first game. Now I’ve got to learn how to be able to sustain that type of performance over the course of the season. So that’s the deal.

Jenkins said that one of the hardest things for him to deal with regarding double-team blocks was dropping his hips, which in effect was dropping his center of gravity.

"That was a challenge that I had," he said. "It’s not necessarily an issue when you’re doing some things, but when you have to drop your center of gravity to do a lot of things, like shedding blockers and taking on double-teams, it becomes challenging.”

“I know that’s why it didn’t look as violent as it did in the beginning. I need my hips. That’s my game.

“A lot of people think D-line is about your punch or getting off the ball and things like that. Everything starts with your core. So I’ve got to have my core in the best possible shape and condition and that’s it. I just wasn’t aware of the type of little things that were necessary to be OK for a nose tackle. But if I’ve got to play 3-4 again, I know now. So that’s it. Whatever it is, I can always get better and I’m going to get better."

Jenkins remains happy he made the move to the New York Jets early this year, but refused to speculate on whom the organization is targeting for a head coach to succeed Mangini.

“I don’t know who the coach is going to be,” he said. “I don’t even want to get into that yet. Look, I’ll be here to talk to you when we find out who it is.

“I mean, the reality of it is I don’t know what is going to happen. I’ve got the opportunity, so that’s cool, but that’s one of the hard things that comes with having a new coach and new things. You’ve got a new scheme, you’ve got a new game plan, you’ve got a new way of practice, you’ve got a new way of getting accustomed to guys.

"If you have a new coach come in, there’s probably going to be people in the locker room that you see the same, but there will probably be new people, too, because a new coach will probably come in and bring the guys in that they feel comfortable with.

"It’s almost like starting all over again," he said. "This is my second first year in New York.”

Eric Mangini Says Goodbye to His Players

Published: 12-29-08

By Eric Allen

Senior Managing Editor

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/s...-to-his-players

Moments after Eric Mangini addressed the New York Jets a final time this morning, the players addressed the departure of their former head coach.

“It’s a level of disappointment,” said veteran LG Alan Faneca. “You feel like you ended the season bad and then this happens. You feel like you let him down.”

In two of Mangini’s three seasons, the Jets finished with a winning record. But they stumbled badly down the stretch in '08, cooling off in December as they went from playoff lock to on the outside looking in.

“That’s the NFL. The margin for error is so slim. One or two plays and we’re right there in the playoffs,” said safety Abe Elam.

Woody Johnson has set a high bar for his team and this was a tough move he felt he had to make. The Jets failed to obtain playoff entry for a second consecutive season and that hadn’t happened since the NFL approved Johnson's purchase of the franchise on Jan. 18, 2000.

After winning eight of their first 11 contests, the Jets did not meet their own expectations as they lost four of five. There was just no brake to the slide and Johnson and general manager Mike Tannenbaum made a decision to part ways with Mangini late Sunday night.

“We had a disappointing season based on the personnel and the guys we had in here," said wide receiver Laveranues Coles. "We had a great coaching staff also that gave us a lot of opportunities. You can’t put all the blame on the head coach or the coaching staff. I think a lot of that blame falls on the locker room and it starts with me first.”

There were no celebrations today at the Atlantic Health Training Center in Florham Park, N.J. Johnson and Tannenbaum praised Mangini for his efforts and thanked him for what he has done for the organization. The players took the high road as well, placing blame on themselves for a lack of execution.

“With the way that we performed with everything on the line, I knew we were doing him in,” said a visibly dejected Jerricho Cotchery. “It comes down to making plays in December and beating the man across from you.”

The Jets just lost too many battles and Mangini lost his job as a result. Cotchery called the dismissal “the toughest thing” he’s gone through in his career. He respected Mangini for giving him a chance on the football field and he knew him unlike many did away from it.

“Getting to know him as a family man, as a dad, as a husband to his wife, I saw the kind of guy he is and I’m really glad I got the chance to get to know him,” J-Co said. “He’s a really good guy. He’s taught me a lot about football and life.”

Mangini, often a stoic presence on the sideline, had a soft side that most never got the chance to see. He was a complex figure, fiercely guarded and protective of his team and a man who worked tirelessly. He not only wanted to win football games in the worst way, but he gushed about his family and took on a great community responsibility.

Extremely tough on his players in the early stages of ’06, the then-35-year-old set a tone of accountability. Even though he would lighten up along the way with shortened practices and even the use of the indoor fieldhouse this season, there will always be the memory of Brett Favre running a penalty lap at a Hofstra training camp practice.

“When he was being tough on us, it wasn’t because he wanted to be a butt, but it was because he wanted to get the best out of us and he wanted to win,” Coles said. “Him relaying that message and letting the guys know he truly cared about us was really important.”

The hope Johnson and Tannenbaum share is that they’ll find a replacement who will build off Mangini’s foundation. There is talent here and the Jets will find a good mind to lead them in 2009.

“Whoever they bring in, I know we definitely have a lot of good pieces in place as far as personnel to really have some success,” said veteran RT Damien Woody. “I trust that Woody and Mike will be thorough in their search and bring in the right guy so they can take advantage of everything that’s in place already.”

The final game of the Mangini era was a 24-17 loss to Miami at the Meadowlands. The Dolphins claimed the AFC East with the victory as they completed a dramatic turnaround from worst to first. But the Green & White never quit on Mangini.

On their final play from scrimmage and 96 yards away from the end zone, they attempted to pull out a miracle with a bunch of laterals. If you were at practice over the past three years, you know it was a play practiced by Mangini because he prepared his guys for every possible situation.

“We fought all the way until the last play,” Coles said. “When a team quits, you don’t have that at the end of a ballgame.”

The Jets and Eric Mangini parted ways today. They had a successful relationship but perhaps they’ll both grow more now that they're apart from each other.

“I have always believed things will work out the way they’re supposed to,” said team MVP Thomas Jones. “I think Eric will wind up in a place he’s supposed to end up and I think the team will go in a direction it’s supposed to go. I think everything happens for a reason.”

That's so nice a piece of writing. WHAT DO EXPECT CLASSY PLAYERS TO SAY ABOUT THEIR EX-HEAD COACH? They are not going to go out and bash him. They still respect him of course, but Im pretty sure they are ready to MOVE ON from this mold.

That's so nice a piece of writing. WHAT DO EXPECT CLASSY PLAYERS TO SAY ABOUT THEIR EX-HEAD COACH? They are not going to go out and bash him. They still respect him of course, but Im pretty sure they are ready to MOVE ON from this mold.

keep telling yourself that, watever helps you sleep better

i know i wont be getting much sleep until i find if woody had stolen parcells away from the dolphags

keep telling yourself that, watever helps you sleep better

i know i wont be getting much sleep until i find if woody had stolen parcells away from the dolphags

F**K Parcells, young one. Been there......Done that. You want him for 2-3 years and leave? I want a long term, building coach ala Cower, but NOT COWER. I want consistency and you wont get that with Parcells. 1-2 maybe 3 and GONE!!! And I sleep FINE. Its all part of being a J-E-T-S Fane! Gotta LOVE IT!

F**K Parcells, young one. Been there......Done that. You want him for 2-3 years and leave? I want a long term, building coach ala Cower, but NOT COWER. I want consistency and you wont get that with Parcells. 1-2 maybe 3 and GONE!!! And I sleep FINE. Its all part of being a J-E-T-S Fane! Gotta LOVE IT!

this team is built to win now, we have a lot of older veterans in their prime

this team is built to win now, we have a lot of older veterans in their prime

Old as in who? Faneca......eh. Favre? ..He's GONE, hopefully. Jones? RB position is easy to fill. Coles? ..Yeh he's up there but ef that BI**hy B**tch. We are young but need LB support no matter what type coach we get, 3-4, or 4-3, and of course need secondary hep, bad. We be alright. Mark my words.

Only thing I wanna point out is that there's a resounding appreciation for the job Mangini did in New York. The players liked him and it shows, you dont see the Browns players clammoring about how fantastic Romeo Crennel was the past 4 years and how he 'changed their lives/careers' etc.

I'm excited, everyone else should be too. IT CANT GET ANY WORSE BROWNS FANS.

Oh and hi, Im new.

Only thing I wanna point out is that there's a resounding appreciation for the job Mangini did in New York. The players liked him and it shows, you dont see the Browns players clammoring about how fantastic Romeo Crennel was the past 4 years and how he 'changed their lives/careers' etc.

I'm excited, everyone else should be too. IT CANT GET ANY WORSE BROWNS FANS.

Oh and hi, Im new.

As a Brown fan you should know not to say IT CANT GET ANY WORSE, bite your tounge. You trying to jinx us before the new reigme takes over? This is the BROWNS, of course it can get worse, lets just hope it doesnt.

Dont get me wrong I think EM can be a good hiring and I want it to be. Go Browns :)

Yeah yeah, 4-12 is pretty awful.... I dont think we can get any worse from this point. I think theres only room for improvement with the talent we have. If the new regime can utilize it and make a couple key off-season moves, the sky's the limit again in 09.

But IMO, it cant get any worse right now I think we hit bottom with the 31-0 loss and not scoring a TD for 6 weeks LOL.

Archived