THE BROWNS BOARD

A Brian Daboll Primer

Guest mz.

Daboll joins the Jets after seven seasons with the New England Patriots (2000-06), the last five coaching the Patriots’ wide receivers. He started with the Patriots on the defensive side of the ball after working as a graduate assistant at Michigan State (1998-99).

via here.

:)

Here's some more. More filler than Ryan's for sure.

==================

Coaching History

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian Daboll is now in his seventh season with the Patriots and is serving as the wide receivers coach on Bill Belichick's staff for the fifth consecutive year. Since assuming his current responsibilities prior to the 2002 season, Daboll has successfully blended veteran talent with up-and-coming young receivers. His approach has helped to develop a reliable receiving corps with big-play ability that has given the Patriots' offense the ability to remain consistent and creative.

Last season, New England wide receivers claimed the top three places on the team's receptions list for the third time in the four seasons Daboll has coached the position. Prior to Daboll's appointment as wide receivers coach, the position had accounted for the team's top three pass catchers just once in a nine-year span. Also in 2005, the Patriots finished the season as the NFL's second-ranked passing offense (257.5 yards per game), marking the team's highest ranking in that category in 11 seasons.

Daboll's promotion to wide receivers coach in 2002 coincided with New England's selection of Deion Branch in the second round of the 2002 NFL Draft. In the last four seasons, Daboll has worked closely with Branch to help him develop and improve as a pro. Daboll has also been credited with assisting in the development of former seventh-round pick David Givens, who turned in four solid seasons with New England from 2002-05.

The 2005 season saw the Patriots' starting wide receivers each set career highs in receptions, as Branch grabbed 78 passes and Givens caught 59. Branch's 998 receiving yards also set a career high and marked the second highest receiving yardage total by a Patriot since Belichick became head coach in 2000 (Troy Brown, 1,199 yards in 2001). The receivers continued to shine in the playoffs, as Branch set a single-game franchise playoff record with 153 receiving yards in the divisional round and Givens caught touchdown passes in both postseason games. Branch and Givens were complemented by Brown, a 13th-year veteran whose 39 catches moved him into second place on the team's all-time receptions list.

New England's wide receivers played an integral role in the team's 2004 success, with the trio of Branch, Givens and David Patten combining for 135 catches, 2,128 yards and 14 touchdowns in the regular season. Branch earned Super Bowl XXXIX MVP honors in just his third professional season. Givens set career highs in catches (56) and receiving yards (874) while becoming the first Patriot since 1999 to record four 100-yard games in a season. For the second consecutive season, the receiving corps was a key to the team's postseason success. Patriots wideouts accounted for 64 percent of the team's postseason receptions and half of the team's 10 postseason touchdowns. Branch and Givens combined for 28 receptions in the three postseason games, and Branch's 11 catches in the Super Bowl tied Dan Ross and Jerry Rice for the most in Super Bowl history.

In 2003, Branch and Givens enjoyed breakout years to compliment the experience of veteran Troy Brown. In just his second year as a pro, Branch led the team with a career-high 57 receptions and 803 receiving yards, while Givens, a 2002 seventh-round draft pick, paced the club with six touchdown receptions in the regular season and tied Brown for the team and league lead with 17 postseason receptions. New England's receiving corps played a major role in the team's postseason success, as the trio of Branch, Brown and Givens combined for 49 receptions, good for 63 percent of the team's total postseason catches. In Super Bowl XXXVIII, Branch led all receivers with 10 receptions, just one shy of the Super Bowl record that he tied a year later. Branch also gained a career-high 143 receiving yards in the Super Bowl, setting a Patriots postseason record.

In 2002, Brown, David Patten and Branch finished the season ranked 1-2-3 respectively among the team's leading receivers. It was the first time three wide receivers held the top three positions since 1999 and just the second time in 13 seasons. Brown led the team for the third consecutive season with 97 receptions, and his 6.9 receptions per game set a franchise record. Patten set career highs with 61 receptions for 824 yards and led the team with a 13.5-yard average per reception.

Daboll originally joined the Patriots in February of 2000 when he was named a defensive coaching assistant. Daboll held that role for two seasons and was primarily responsible for preparing film breakdowns for each upcoming opponent, including comprehensive opponent scouting charts for Coach Belichick and the defensive coaches. The preparation and study of opponent offensive game tendencies during his first two seasons with the Patriots provided unique training for his first positional responsibilities in 2002.

Prior to joining the Patriots, he worked as a graduate assistant for head coach Nick Saban at Michigan State. He started as an administrative graduate assistant in 1998 but spent the entire 1999 season assisting the defensive coaches, working primarily with the defensive backs. He began his coaching career as a restricted earnings coach, assisting the defensive coaches at William & Mary in 1997.

Playing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daboll attended the University of Rochester, where he was a two-year starter at free safety. Daboll recorded three interceptions in one game during his senior year.

Hopefully his background as the WR's coach in NE will help Braylon learn to catch the freakin' ball :P If he can help Brady Quinn to a Pro Bowl next year, I'm all for it. I wish he had some OC experience, but he's been in the business for awhile it seems, hopefullky this'll pan out.

Hopefully his background as the WR's coach in NE will help Braylon learn to catch the freakin' ball :P If he can help Brady Quinn to a Pro Bowl next year, I'm all for it. I wish he had some OC experience, but he's been in the business for awhile it seems, hopefullky this'll pan out.

I hope mangini knows what he is doing i love getting rob ryan but this daboll guy i know nothing about he isnt exactly a known entity but it doest mean much..he could be really good..

The only thing that may get edwards catching the ball is the threat of a young rookie reciever breathing down his back...edwards has some serious talent and some serious issues it will be interesting to see how this regime handles him...;)

Expect the browns to be tuff on defense next year...woof! woof! woof!..the offense is still a question mark at least to me..

I hope mangini knows what he is doing i love getting rob ryan but this daboll guy i know nothing about he isnt exactly a known entity but it doest mean much..he could be really good..

The only thing that may get edwards catching the ball is the threat of a young rookie reciever breathing down his back...edwards has some serious talent and some serious issues it will be interesting to see how this regime handles him...;)

He worked closely with Josh McDaniels in NE before the Jets.

Expect the browns to be tuff on defense next year...woof! woof! woof!..the offense is still a question mark at least to me..

If his past approach is anything to go by, once you enter Mangini's dog house for whatever reason, you lose playing time and the next player in the pecking order get a shot. In this case, the player would need to "work his way up" by contributing in special teams. Mangini is a big fan of special teams and values players who can contribute in this phase of the game. Once you display that you are willing to do anything to help the team win, only then would Mangini re-establish his playing time.

Archived