THE BROWNS BOARD

A Rob Ryan Primer

Guest mz.

Rob Ryan is in his fifth year as Raiders defensive coordinator. In 2007, Ryan coordinated a Raiders defense that produced two players who ranked in the top-10 in the AFC in sacks, ranked third in the NFL in percentage of passes intercepted, eighth in the NFL in pass defense, fifth in the AFC in opponent’s third down efficiency (39 percent) and sixth in the AFC in opponent’s Inside the 20 touchdown percentage.

In 2006, Ryan oversaw a defense that led the NFL in pass defense and ranked third in total defense. The Raiders defense under Ryan also ranked fourth in the NFL in fewest yards allowed per play, fifth in defense inside the 20, fifth (tie) in defensive touchdowns and fifth in net passing yards per play.

Ryan’s defensive schemes in 2006 also helped Derrick Burgess record 12 sacks and play in his second straight Pro Bowl and Warren Sapp record 10 sacks, an NFL high for defensive tackles. In addition, the defensive schemes helped Nnamdi Asomugha post a career high eight interceptions. He was named USA Today’s “All-Joe” and Bill Arnsbarger’s “Football Insiders” Defensive Coordinator of the Year.

The 2005 Raiders defense featured the NFL's leading sack artist, Burgess, who had 16 sacks and a Pro Bowl invitation. Before joining the Raiders, the 21-year coaching veteran spent four seasons as linebackers coach on Bill Belichick's New England coaching staff. Ryan's unit contributed to the Patriots wins in Super Bowls XXXVI and XXXVIII.

In 2003, Ryan's squad helped the Patriots defense rank first in the NFL in fewest points allowed (238) while ranking seventh overall in the NFL in total defense. Ryan's unit also contributed to one of the best scoring defenses in franchise history in 2001, as the Patriots allowed just 17 points per game and produced Pro Bowlers Willie McGinest and Tedy Bruschi.

Ryan originally entered the NFL coaching ranks in 1994 as defensive backs coach on his father's staff at Arizona. He also coached Cardinals cornerbacks and safeties in 1995. With Ryan as his position coach, cornerback Aeneas Williams earned two trips to the Pro Bowl in 1994 and 1995. In 1995, the Cardinals led the NFL with 32 interceptions and 42 total takeaways. The 1994 Cardinals ranked second in the NFL total defense, second in run defense and third in pass defense. From 1997-99, Ryan was Oklahoma State's defensive coordinator, where the Cowboys defense continually ranked among the best in the nation. He was named Coordinator of the Year by The Sporting News in 1997.

In 1999, they were ranked 10th in the nation in total defense. In 1998, they were second in the nation with 41 sacks. In his first season at Oklahoma State, the Cowboys defense finished among the nation's top-20 in turnover margin, rushing defense, scoring defense and total defense, allowing just 302.7 yards per game. It was an over 100-yard improvement per game from the year before and helped the Cowboys produce an 8-4 mark and an Alamo Bowl berth.

Ryan was a graduate assistant at Western Kentucky in 1987 and at Ohio State in 1988. Ryan then spent five seasons at Tennessee State, where he coached running backs (1989-91), linebackers (1992) and the defensive line (1993). He served as defensive coordinator at Hutchinson Community College in 1996, where they led the nation in total defense (228 yards per game) and in sacks (56). His defense also set a national record by forcing 49 turnovers. Ryan played

three seasons as an outside linebacker at Southwestern Oklahoma State.

The 44-year-old Ryan is the son of NFL defensive coaching legend Buddy Ryan. His twin brother, Rex, is defensive coordinator for Baltimore. The Ryan family includes wife Kristin and three children: sons Joseph and Matthew and daughter Dimitra.

via here.

So this means we might actually get more than 17 sacks. Works for me.

i didn't know he had scheme versatility. that's a huge plus. i think we might be able to go to a 3-4 one-gap look some of the time with him and might not be so passive.

This is the key, to me.

Dude is aggressive.

i didn't know he had scheme versatility. that's a huge plus. i think we might be able to go to a 3-4 one-gap look some of the time with him and might not be so passive.

Rob Ryan is Rex Ryan's (Baltimore) Twin Brother...and they studied and shared schemes from all reports. From what I hear...Rob knows pretty much everything there is to know about Rex's schemes...so get ready for a mixture of 3-4 and 4-3...with a PREMIUM on VERSATILITY of his players.

I would say the stock of Mays and Curry just went through the ceiling for the Browns.

so get ready for a mixture of 3-4 and 4-3...with a PREMIUM on VERSATILITY of his players.

I would say the stock of Mays and Curry just went through the ceiling for the Browns.

Excellent point. This would almost make Curry the no-brainer at this point.

Alo just wet himself. :)

i don't know why i didn't put together that both the ryans would have the same scheme versatility. duh.

in another thread, ballpeen said he thinks that ryan's hire means we're going to go after jenkins in the first since he seems to favor press coverage on the outside.

however, i hope the scheme versatility that curry brings along with mays' freakish athleticism and the possible availability of nnamdi asomugha in FA and the continued development of wright and mcdonald makes either curry or mays the pick.

i don't know why i didn't put together that both the ryans would have the same scheme versatility. duh.

in another thread, ballpeen said he thinks that ryan's hire means we're going to go after jenkins in the first since he seems to favor press coverage on the outside.

however, i hope the scheme versatility that curry brings along with mays' freakish athleticism and the possible availability of nnamdi asomugha in FA and the continued development of wright and mcdonald makes either curry or mays the pick.

Yeah, if Nnamdi comes to Cleveland through free agency I see no reason to grab Jenkins, and with Ryan coming here I think Nnamdi will sign. But if Nnamdi goes somewhere else, I can't see us passing up on Jenkins; I really like McDonald but I'd rather have him as #2 behind Jenkins, give us two good, young corners.

Yeah, if Nnamdi comes to Cleveland through free agency I see no reason to grab Jenkins, and with Ryan coming here I think Nnamdi will sign. But if Nnamdi goes somewhere else, I can't see us passing up on Jenkins; I really like McDonald but I'd rather have him as #2 behind Jenkins, give us two good, young corners.

Recall that Mangini not only picked Darelle Revis (Pro Bowler) but chose him over two other highly ranked CBs that were also available (Aaron Ross and Michael Griffin). He also picked up Dwight Lowery in the fourth round this year who made significant contributions as a #2 CB this year.

I think it's safe to say that he knows how to pick a DB.

Archived