THE BROWNS BOARD

Coaching Carousel

The Gipper

So here is the coaching situation in the NFL:

Jacksonville hired a guy, Mike Mularkey, who was a failure in Buffalo, and whose team he was the offensive coordinator for just scored all of two points...on a safety, in his recent playoff game.

Kansas City hired a guy, Romeo Crennel, who was a proven failure when he was here with the Browns.

Now, there are still openings for the following teams: Rams, Dolphins, Bucs, Raiders...and maybe the Colts could join the list.

Jeff Fisher will join the list of new coaches once he decides on a team.

I hear that one of the primary candidates for the Tampa Bay Bucs job is none other than the UFL Champion Virginia Destroyers coach, Mr. Marty Schottenheimer, who finally got his championship....though be it in only a 4 team league.

Needless to say, it seems to be getting bizarre out there.

So, why are not former SB winning coaches Brian Billick, Bill Cowher, John Gruden, and Tony Dungy not being given any consideration? Are they all that enamored with their media gigs?

And, first and foremost, why is not Nick Saban in line for every NFL vacancy?

Sorry, but now that he has won his second supposed national title with Alabama (together with one from LSU), it seems to me that he is wasting his time coaching in college.

Sorry, but I think that Tampa Bay should be on him like stupid on a steeler fan.

I'm sure those former coaches were contacted, but Billick, Dungy and Gruden have cake analyst jobs so I'm sure they're fine where they are.

Like you said, they all have SB rings. Maybe they're just done coaching.

Maybe then they should say so. Dungy perhaps has.....but these guys may be like boxers. They retire, unretire, retire again, and go through that cycle about 5 times in their careers.

Imagine bringing in Marty Schotteheimer who has to be pushing 70. Maybe he can be the next Marv Levy...and add 4 Super Bowl losses to all his Conference title game losses.

Or, maybe he is just trying to build up his HOF resume. He needs 13 NFL wins to pass Paul Brown for 5th place all time.

I'm sure those former coaches were contacted, but Billick, Dungy and Gruden have cake analyst jobs so I'm sure they're fine where they are.

Like you said, they all have SB rings. Maybe they're just done coaching.

Billick is an asshat, which is why nobody wants to hire him. He'd take a job in a heartbeat if anyone actually called him.

Dungy is done coaching, and he won't be back, ever.

Gruden is waiting for the exact right team (like the Bucs that Dungy built) that he can go in and win the SB again with someone else's hard work.

Billick is an asshat, which is why nobody wants to hire him. He'd take a job in a heartbeat if anyone actually called him.

Dungy is done coaching, and he won't be back, ever.

Gruden is waiting for the exact right team (like the Bucs that Dungy built) that he can go in and win the SB again with someone else's hard work.

The Dolphins might be the right choice then. They played a hell of a defense at times, and might literally be the team to jump up the next year or two to challenge the Pats in that division.

Archived