THE BROWNS BOARD

Breaking news ....

TheBestPlayersPlay

For the position of defensive coordinator, sources told Smith that Mangini will bring aboard Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, whose contract with Oakland also is up. Also that Mangini and Crennel discussed the possibility of Crennel returning to work with Mangini but decided it best to both go in a different direction.

Mangini will hire Jets quarterbacks coach Brian Daboll, whose contract is expiring, as his offensive coordinator, league sources told Smith.

I'm extremely excited about Ryan. We needed an aggressive D. This is a good place to start.

I bagged on RAC badly for numerous things, but always maintained that he was a good dude, with high character. It's a shame to lose a person like that from your organization. At the very least, I would have hoped as a Dline coach (or maybe handing Rogers his oxygen mask when he came off the field).

I'm liking Rob Ryan's history. From his Wiki page:

He coached Cardinals cornerbacks and safeties in 1995. With Ryan as his position coach, cornerback Aeneas Williams earned two trips to the Pro Bowl in 1994 and 1995. In 1995, the Cardinals led the NFL with 32 interceptions and 42 total takeaways. The 1994 Cardinals ranked second in the NFL total defense, second in run defense and third in pass defense. From 1997–99, Ryan was Oklahoma State defensive coordinator, where the Cowboys defense continually ranked among the best in the nation, also he was was named Coordinator of the Year by The Sporting News in 1997.

In 1999, they were ranked 10th in the nation in total defense. In 1998, they were second in the nation with 41 sacks. In his first season at Oklahoma State, the Cowboys defense finished among the nation top-20 in turnover margin, rushing defense, scoring defense and total defense, allowing just 302.7 yards per game. It was an over 100-yard improvement per game from the year before and helped the Cowboys produce an 8–4 mark and an Alamo Bowl berth.

In 2003, Ryan's squad helped the Patriots defense rank first in the NFL in fewest points allowed 238 while ranking seventh overall in the NFL in total defense. Ryan's unit also contributed to one of the best scoring defenses in franchise history in 2001, as the Patriots allowed just 17 points per game and produced Pro Bowlers Willie McGinest and Tedy Bruschi. Ryan contributed to the Patriots wins in Super Bowls XXXVI and XXXVIII.

I'm liking Rob Ryan's history. From his Wiki page:

He coached Cardinals cornerbacks and safeties in 1995. With Ryan as his position coach, cornerback Aeneas Williams earned two trips to the Pro Bowl in 1994 and 1995. In 1995, the Cardinals led the NFL with 32 interceptions and 42 total takeaways. The 1994 Cardinals ranked second in the NFL total defense, second in run defense and third in pass defense. From 1997–99, Ryan was Oklahoma State defensive coordinator, where the Cowboys defense continually ranked among the best in the nation, also he was was named Coordinator of the Year by The Sporting News in 1997.

In 1999, they were ranked 10th in the nation in total defense. In 1998, they were second in the nation with 41 sacks. In his first season at Oklahoma State, the Cowboys defense finished among the nation top-20 in turnover margin, rushing defense, scoring defense and total defense, allowing just 302.7 yards per game. It was an over 100-yard improvement per game from the year before and helped the Cowboys produce an 8–4 mark and an Alamo Bowl berth.

In 2003, Ryan's squad helped the Patriots defense rank first in the NFL in fewest points allowed 238 while ranking seventh overall in the NFL in total defense. Ryan's unit also contributed to one of the best scoring defenses in franchise history in 2001, as the Patriots allowed just 17 points per game and produced Pro Bowlers Willie McGinest and Tedy Bruschi. Ryan contributed to the Patriots wins in Super Bowls XXXVI and XXXVIII.

Rob is the one rocking the long gray hair? Cool.

Why did Al Davis let him go ... or are we giving him "Asst. HC" status?

Zombo

Rob is the one rocking the long gray hair? Cool.

Why did Al Davis let him go ... or are we giving him "Asst. HC" status?

Zombo

According to reports, his contract is expiring. No need.

One thing about Ryan....he plays press coverage on the outside.

I think this just made Malcom Jenkins the odds on favorite as our #1 pick.

For him to run his D, he needs at least one top notch corner...I mean top notch.

Jenkins is the pick.

i'm not so sure about that. wright and mcdonald looked best when playing their men close to the line, and we don't have a pass rusher like ryan would want unless we sign terrell suggs in free agency. then again, we could go after nnamdi asomugha in free agency, as well, to get that shutdown corner that ryan's used to having. their rapport could be a major draw in bringing him to cleveland.

despite what ryan wants, i don't think jenkins is value at five.

If that Raiders corner makes it to free agency, look for Ryan to court him. I'm guessing he'd love to get out.

That dude is the best corner in the NFL, bar none.

Zombo

--But I can't spell his name

He is the best corner i8n the draft, and that is always value.

Corner is usually a safe pick as it is easy to scout, and if the guy is a top prospect compared to other years(as Jenkins is), a pick at 5 isn't a reach....or at least by much.

I think he stands a good chance of being the best player at his position compared to the other best players at their positions in this draft.

I don't think you can go wrong with that.

He is the best corner i8n the draft, and that is always value.

Corner is usually a safe pick as it is easy to scout, and if the guy is a top prospect compared to other years(as Jenkins is), a pick at 5 isn't a reach....or at least by much.

I think he stands a good chance of being the best player at his position compared to the other best players at their positions in this draft.

I don't think you can go wrong with that.

it's just not our biggest need. we need an ILB and RB far more than we need corners.

I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude towards Ryan. He's been the DC in Oakland since 2004. Here's where the Raiders ranked this year:

(*)=Ranked higher than the Browns in the same year

Points Per Game: 24 (#24 in the league)

Yards Per Game: 361 (#27 in the league)

And in 2007:

PPG: 25 (#26)

YPG: 342 (#22)*

2006:

PPG: 21 (#18)*

YPG: 285 (#3)*

2005:

PPG: 24 (#25)

YPG: 331 (#27)

2004:

PPG: 28 (#31)

YPG: 371 (#30)

So...five years, one ranking in the top half of the league, three rankings higher than the Browns over the same period.

Dennis

it's just not our biggest need. we need an ILB and RB far more than we need corners.

And drafting for need is about as goofy a way to daft as can happen...at least in the early rounds.

Unless it is totally stupid to draft a position, never pass on great players.

Plus....we need a corner.....McDonald or Wright in the slot works for me...you basically upgrade 2 positions with the drafting of Jenkins. You get a great corner, and you don't have to see #25 chasing down receivers after a 15 yard gain.

Is that so bad??

And drafting for need is about as goofy a way to daft as can happen...at least in the early rounds.

Unless it is totally stupid to draft a position, never pass on great players.

Plus....we need a corner.....McDonald or Wright in the slot works for me...you basically upgrade 2 positions with the drafting of Jenkins. You get a great corner, and you don't have to see #25 chasing down receivers after a 15 yard gain.

Is that so bad??

no, it's not so bad. jenkins will likely be a good pro, and i'd be ok with us getting him. curry and mays have just as much potential, though, and while mays doesn't fill as much of a need as curry does (ILB being our biggest need IMO), he has the highest ceiling of all three and could be a game-changing player on a consistent basis.

curry at ILB will keep us from being gashed regularly in the run game and can rush the passer. plus, the added pressure that ryan's scheme should bring might mean that our corners don't have to hold their men in check for as long.

plus, there's the possibility of nnamdi asomugha landing here in FA. he definitely wants out of oakland; he cleaned out his locker after their last practice, even before their last game this season. it's unclear whether that's because of a personality conflict with ryan or because of the organization in general, but getting his former DC who helped him become the player he is could be key in us landing him if we choose to pursue him.

we can improve our team more by drafting equivalent players at five. jenkins will be good, but there are other guys who will be just as good and fit our needs better.

no, it's not so bad. jenkins will likely be a good pro, and i'd be ok with us getting him. curry and mays have just as much potential, though, and while mays doesn't fill as much of a need as curry does (ILB being our biggest need IMO), he has the highest ceiling of all three and could be a game-changing player on a consistent basis.

curry at ILB will keep us from being gashed regularly in the run game and can rush the passer. plus, the added pressure that ryan's scheme should bring might mean that our corners don't have to hold their men in check for as long.

plus, there's the possibility of nnamdi asomugha landing here in FA. he definitely wants out of oakland; he cleaned out his locker after their last practice, even before their last game this season. it's unclear whether that's because of a personality conflict with ryan or because of the organization in general, but getting his former DC who helped him become the player he is could be key in us landing him if we choose to pursue him.

we can improve our team more by drafting equivalent players at five. jenkins will be good, but there are other guys who will be just as good and fit our needs better.

On NFL radio recently, they were talking about how CB is one position that always makes sense to draft rather than go FA. The reason being that a) they're easy to scout. They either can cover, catch and tackle or they can't and B) the inflation of salaries in FA is pretty bad for CBs (see Nate Clements).

Dunno. Nnamdi (?sp) is damned good.

I'm taking a wait-and-see attitude towards Ryan. He's been the DC in Oakland since 2004. Here's where the Raiders ranked this year:

(*)=Ranked higher than the Browns in the same year

Points Per Game: 24 (#24 in the league)

Yards Per Game: 361 (#27 in the league)

And in 2007:

PPG: 25 (#26)

YPG: 342 (#22)*

2006:

PPG: 21 (#18)*

YPG: 285 (#3)*

2005:

PPG: 24 (#25)

YPG: 331 (#27)

2004:

PPG: 28 (#31)

YPG: 371 (#30)

So...five years, one ranking in the top half of the league, three rankings higher than the Browns over the same period.

Dennis

What were their offensive numbers for those years? Having a bad offense can make the defensive numbers look bad since they spend too much time on the field.

610x.jpg

Menacing....if nothing else....we can send him out to midfield for the "steel cage death match".

Hahaha.... Ive heard of this guy. He's supposed to be really good and aggressive! He's damn scary lookin, I dont even think Joe Thomas would want a 1 on 1 matchup with this guy

On NFL radio recently, they were talking about how CB is one position that always makes sense to draft rather than go FA. The reason being that a) they're easy to scout. They either can cover, catch and tackle or they can't and B) the inflation of salaries in FA is pretty bad for CBs (see Nate Clements).

Dunno. Nnamdi (?sp) is damned good.

it's true that nnamdi will command a ridiculous salary in free agency. it's up to the front office to decide how quickly they want to win; signing asomugha means we can go a different direction in the draft and field a more competitive team faster, something lerner's shown he's willing to spend the money to do.

personally, i hope they sign him. a proven quantity is better than an unknown when you're not paying the bills.

Archived