THE BROWNS BOARD

#4 #22

The Gipper

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On my latest check of over 100 mock drafts, they have the following players being taken at #4 the most times:

Robert Griffin III 52 votes

Trent Richardson 23 votes

Blackmon 17 Votes

Claiborne 4 votes

Coples 3 votes

Kalil 2 votes

Kirkpatrick 1 vote.

Hey Gipper, I'm stoked that ATL didn't get further in the Playoffs... a wildcard loss, couldn't have been much better than that for us Browns fans! So we're locked in with the #4 and the #22 picks of the first round!!! This is just Awesome. I'm so gonna have A HUGE DRAFT DAY PARTY at my crib! I think it's going to be a Blockbuster year for us in Free Agency and the Draft.

I've been going over who I think we should take with that #4. I've entertained thoughts of trading up to get Lucky. I've pictured us taking Blackmon and I've weighed the possibility of the Cleveland Browns becoming the "Baylor Browns/Cleveland Bears". Upon further evaluations and thoughts on each of these...

Luck is gonna be good, but how good is the question? Will he be able to single handedly pull the Browns from oblivion? I'm also thinking about the tremendous amount of picks it will cost us to move up a measly 3 picks. Just look at the guys we got last year and we didn't pick until well into the 20's. I think with the ammo Heckert has this draft, should he use them, he could beast out our team like no other. I'm now against signing Luck in favor of multiple first round talent.

Look, Heckert has only had two drafts, right? His first he landed Joe Haden with the number 7 pick. Then we didn't pick again until the second round, we picked up Hardesty and then landed Colt in the third. Last year we got Phil Taylor, Jabaal Sheard and then Greg Little.

This year with the number 4 overall, then the 22 overall and the 4th of the second round(essentially a low first rounder here) I think that Heckert is gonna nail this one. Whichever way we decide to go offense or defense, we will be a better team next year. I think with the influx of talent coming on to this team in 2012 we will miss picking so low again for a long time. So we've gotta nail this one and get the RIGHT GUYS.

Justin Blackmon. Is the kid ELITE? If he is then pull the trigger at 4, if you have even an itching back thought that he may just be good then I say we pass on the kid. Is he gonna be better than Greg Little? Little just started to hit his stride toward the end of the season. Greg sat out of football all of last year and this season was his first back. I think the kid has a good amount of potential to improve and get better, stronger and catch the ball more often. When we drafted both Robo and Momass in the second It was a "headscratcher" because I felt that they were almost the same guy. Is that what we'll get with a Greg Little, Justin Blackmon duo. They are both about the same height and weight I believe and they bring about the same things? Is Blackmon a burner, will he stretch the field? I don't know the answers but in someways Justin Blackmon just doesn't seem like a true #1 WR in the NFL to me, and that's just my opinion I'm not 100% that I'm correct in that assumption. In some ways however it makes sense to take Blackmon. He is a threat and good receiver and Holmgren said in his presser that this offense is designed NOT to have a #1 - #2 WR, that it's designed to get multiple receivers the ball and spread out the defense. So, would Blackmon provide this type of scheme another playmaker? In this respect, yes I believe it would. I don't think that Blackmon deserves the #4 overall however, but with the WR position being somewhat weak this draft, he's the only legit WR worth taking that low from what I've seen so far.

I don;t post a lot but let's face it not much to post about and everyone is typically starting a rant or qb thread.... I think our ideal expectations from these picks become trent richardson and kendall wright i know everyone wants to throw in the towel on colt but before we do it i think we honestly need to give the guys some tools in order to prove himself we all keep talking about continuity and needing to not start over every year but lest we forget that's what you're asking for again this year with a new unproven rookie quarterback... let's also not forget that we all thought he was a saint last year when he came in last year beat the pats and saints and played the steelers tough i'm not saying he is a savior or the next coming .... worst case scenario we draft 2 good players to compliment our offense and worst case scenario if colt isn;t our guy then we can get a guy next year. lets also not forget that some elite qbs didn;t have too great of season to begin their careers either .... ex: drew brees first full season 17 tds 16 picks in 60.8 percent completion . ... second 11 tds 15 ints 57.6 completion....third full season lights the fire 27 tds 7 ints ...i'm not saying colt is the next drew brees but he does have some tools and some resilience and he's a fighter and has heart lets give him the nod one more season before pulling the plug i think hillis is most likely gone which would require richardson pick at 4 hardesty and jackson both have consistent injury problems and wright would provide a welker-esque type receiver for colt and with little turning it on at the end of the season i think it could turn out to be a pretty good crew second round we use for lb or line help and then i think the rest is up for debate.... Other option possibly reddick at the number 22 with alshon jeffery or wright (if still available) in the second round

Now, let's talk about RG3. Is the kid a good QB? Sure he is. Is he better than Colt McCoy? IMO, no. Is RG3 more hype and marketable than Colt? Sure. Who's basket do I want to put my eggs in? Colts. If only because he done it on the NFL Level. RG3 may not translate. However, Colt beat the Patriots, the Saints and nearly beat the Jets in regulation(it's not Colts fault that Chansi Stuckey is a bonehead). Colt was without a reliable WR and HB for most of his starts this season and yet he(and the D) kept us in most games. Here's some videos on both Colt McCoy and RG3 from College.

This is Colt McCoy

This is Robert Griffen III

I say that RG3 is in the very same mold as Colt McCoy.

RG3 had 77TDs passing in his career and 32 rushing.

Colt had 112TDs passing and 20 rushing in his college career.

I say give Colt some weapons and lets let the kid shine. I think that he can be a great QB in the NFL. He's got the guts and he never seems to quit... even though the fans have started to leave the building, he's running hurry up and trying to get back in the game. He's given us a chance late in games to pull it out. Now it's our time to give him a fair chance this next season with some continuity and a few playmakers. Then we'll be able to make a fair assessment of where his ceiling is.

So, if Luck and RG3 are out of the picture, that leaves Matt Kalil, Justin Blackmon and Trent Richardson as the 3 remaining top 5 prospects. I would say that both Blackmon and Little are going to turn out to be the same guy in the long run. It's no use having another Robo Momass combo out there, Little will suffice(if he learns to concentrate on catching the ball all the way through). What we need is a speed guy that can burn down the field and catch the deep ball. Somebody that rarely will drop a ball, someone who fights for the ball(it's his or it's no ones). I think that guy can be had with the #22 pick from ATL. There's this kid, Kendall Wright, he played with RG3 in college. So if we're gonna pass on RG3 in favor of Colt let's at least grab RG3's main weapon. Here's a highlight tape of Kendall Wright:

Didn't know the kid was a BALLER!

Okay here's a football Highlight of Kendall Wright lol:

Here's a better one:

So I'd say that picking Kendall Wright("the guy can pretty much catch anything", says RG3.) would make Colt look really good. Just like Wright said, it's up to him to make RG3 look good, just as Little and the rest of the guys on this team made Colt look BAD with 30+ DROPS... Kendall, Little, Mitchell, Cribbs, and Momass at WR next year will pay dividends for the Browns offensive production!

KENDALL AT #22 OVERALL IN THE NFL DRAFT!

If we only get one WR lets get Kendall! Speed + Hands = TD

So Kendall works for our WR needs with the 22nd overall pick. What should we do with the number 4 overall selection? Our most pressing positions that need to be addressed are as follows: CB/FS/OLB/DE on D and RT/RG/HB/WR on O. Are these situations at each position dire or do we just feel they are dire. Lets look at the four positions of need on the Offense here first since the O really didn't get going at all last season. The D however seemed to hold their own, if the Offense scores more points we win a lot more games.

RT/RG/HB/FB/WR- These are the positions I feel we need to get better on. Now when I say that I mean we can do that one of three ways. We can deal with it in house, by letting someone on the team already raise their level of play to be suitable in the position. We can Draft someone. Or we can address the position in Free Agency. I feel if we draft someone they should be someone we cannot do without for the next 10 years. That's the only way it's justifiable to spend a first rounder.

So. Having just stated that even though I'm suggesting spending a #22 overall for a speedster in Kendall Wright, it's a position of need that we'll have for awhile. We're always gonna need a speedster on the WR core. As of now we do not. And as he ages he'll just move down the depth chart ala. hines ward. I feel that Kendall Wright could be to us what Ward has been to the steelers. So having addressed the WR position it just leaves RT/RG/HB/FB.

On to the RG/RT position... Okay so on the line we have A)Joe Thomas and B)Alex Mack. I think those two will be great for 7 more years at their current position. At LG we have a need there if Steinbach is done. If he isn't how long until he is? Is Pinkston his replacement? In the short term if he does return he'll man the LG. So C left we're good. AT RT/RG I think Lavaman and Pinkston will most likely be our guys. I would find a latter round steal to give the position depth here. But please, find a guy that will block! This is the AFC NORTH- no teddybears on the Oline, PLEASE!

That leaves us HB and FB left to address on the Offense, weird huh, you would think we needed like 7 or 8 guys but in reality we just need to improve marginally as a whole and we'll be competitive throughout the season into the playoffs.

FB- Is Marecic the answer? He's no Vickers that's for sure. I think that was a big part of the let down on this kid. He cracked a lot of helmets in college but in the pros it's his head that's getting cracked. I say move the kid to LB and see what he's got because FB is not his forte. We need to invest in a late round FB to compete with Marcic and give us fans hope for the future of the position.

What I feel would be the VERY BEST SOLUTION to this equation is to kill two birds with one stone! What we would have to do is to resign Peyton Hillis as our teams HB/FB. In the draft we need to pick up the kid from Alabama. Trent Richardson. He's fast and can catch the ball, although I feel Peyton has better hands that is what a good WC fullback has to do. With Peyton taking a backseat role to Richardson it will increase his durability and longevity in the NFL. He'll still get his carries but Trent will spell him and be the compliment that Hillis needs. In I formation sets Hillis will line up in front of Richardson and you could even switch the two back and forth. It would really improve our stable of RBs.

You would have: Trent Richardson, Peyton Hillis, Brandon Jackson, and Montario Hardesty.

I don't know if you'd want to carry 4 RBs 5 if count Marecic but as we've seen last season, you can't have enough guys that can tote the rock. If you're not a threat to run the ball... let's just say it's baaaad for your offense.

So, I'm proposing taking Trent Richardson with the 4th pick and Kendall Wright with the 22nd. Trade a second and a fourth to move back up in the first to select Vontaze Burfict. Call it an A.

SportScience Trent Richardson:

Trent Richardson Highlight Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmfM5XZaFR0

Wow freaking amazing!!

Hillis and Richardson are going to be a DEADLY combo and I'll I can say is... I pity the fool!

At 8:35 above he goes all Jim Brown...

Brown said he never wanted to run out of bounds because it is a sign of weakness. He always wanted to run through a defender, put a forearm in his chest. I see a lot of Jim Brown in Trent Richardson. Granted Jim Brown was 6'2 232 and Richardson is 5'11 224, so he's a smaller Jim Brown.

We took JB in the first round with the 6th overall pick of the 1957 Draft. It's fitting we take Richardson with the 4th overall pick of the 2012 NFL Draft.

On Offense next year we could look like this:

QB- COLT McCOY

HB- TRENT RICHARDSON

FB- PEYTON HILLIS

TE- EVAN MOORE

TE- JORDAN CAMERON

TE- BEN WATSON

WR- GREG LITTLE

WR- KENDALL WRIGHT

WR- JOSH CRIBBS

WR- MOHAMMED MASSAQUOI

WR- CARLTON MITCHELL

IT'S A START!

why is anyone comparing a combo of blackmon and little to momass and robo you can not compare those to combos blackmon is the next calvin johnson , larry fitzgerald and if we got him and had little to complement blackmon it would make our offense a little more respectable.

a blackmon little combo would be like boldin and fitzgerald combo

you get colt a right side of the line and you might have a qb after all in colt

if those are are starters at TE/WR, I will punch you.

LOL!!! Why punch me, lol? I said that could be our offense, that's not counting Free Agency. If we were to sign a Great WR in FA that only helps! Think Desean Jackson, Kendall Wright, Greg Little, Josh Cribbs, Mitchell(nasty injury last year, still has potential), Momass(solid well rounded possession receiver that can take a hit, tough kid). What is wrong with the TE's? Watson might be back and he still a solid vet at 30+, Moore is a big sure handed target and Jordan Cameron just started to get playing time, I think Cameron is going to be good, he's quick and big with a good vertical, nice hands and everything, he will get better the more PT he gets!

I think that we'll be okay with what I stated, although we have to find the right pieces at RG/RT in order for anything to be successful...

why is anyone comparing a combo of blackmon and little to momass and robo you can not compare those to combos blackmon is the next calvin johnson , larry fitzgerald and if we got him and had little to complement blackmon it would make our offense a little more respectable.

a blackmon little combo would be like boldin and fitzgerald combo

you get colt a right side of the line and you might have a qb after all in colt

I wasn't comparing the combos of Robo and Momass to Blackmon and Little. Clearly the Blackmon and Little combo would win out, what I was stating is that "I see" both Little and Blackmon as being from the same mold- much like Robo and Momass being from the same mold. You don't need two of the same type WR on the field. I feel like Little would be most complemented with a speedy smaller type wr rather than another receiver that is similar to himself. Thus allowing us to get our RB in Trent Richardson and our WR in Kendall Wright... as opposed to getting Blackmon as our WR at 4 and a speedy rb at 22.

Trent Richardson will NOT be the pick at 4, book it. Heckert commented about how running backs are always hurt and that coupled with this performance tonight should lock up the fact that he won't be a Cleveland Brown next year. Blackmon isn't worth the pick and will probably be gone anyway, you don't take a RT that high in the draft and picking a defensive player would be suicide if RG3 is on the board. Cam Newton turned a 2 win team into a 6 win team, Manning won 10 games two years ago with the same team that won 3 games this year. QB is the most important position, period.

The drop off at the QB position from what we'd get at 4 to what we'd get at 22 is HUGE. The drop off of what we'd get at LB or DE or WR or even RB isn't that major. So it would only make sense to pick Griffen since he yields the highest value at that spot and fills the most important need. Then you go DE or LB with our pick at 22 and WR with our pick at 38. I guess you can flip flop that if they see fit, but those are the most probable picks for our 1st three picks. Then with our 3rd round we can go RT or RB. 4th round and on are pretty much special teams or depth guys so no huge deal there.

Free agency has to yield a WR and either a DE or LB, whichever we don't address in the draft.

No more trading back, no more mediocre players, no more losers in brown and orange. I want a damn winner or I'm done with this team. RG3 2012!!!!

RG3 and Colt McCoy are the same. Colt is IMO better than RG3... why would you want to spend the number 4 overall pick of the Draft to draft a guy you already have on the team? In fact, it may even be a downgrade to what you already have... but seems as how this FO released Vickers and signed Marecic, I see how you'd come to the conclusion we take RG3 ;)

so tired about hearing the qb is what we need its not even sure RG3 will be coming out this year then what, what are we going to do if he dont come out we arent trading the farm away for luck that would be stupid

You think RG3 will stay in college when his stock is so high there's talk about people trading up to the 2nd spot to get him? Barkely was hoping to be the 1st overall pick next year so he stayed back and Landry just needs time to get better so he made the right choice for his long term career, but nobody in their right mind stays back when they're stock is pretty much maxed out.

RG3 and Colt McCoy are the same. Colt is IMO better than RG3... why would you want to spend the number 4 overall pick of the Draft to draft a guy you already have on the team? In fact, it may even be a downgrade to what you already have... but seems as how this FO released Vickers and signed Marecic, I see how you'd come to the conclusion we take RG3 ;)

Well, the world disagrees with you. Every GM in the league who makes a living scouting these players thinks RG3 is better than Colt. That is why Griffen is projected to go as high as 2nd and Colt made it to the 3rd round. When you evaluate a player who look at their skill set as it could relate to the NFL. McCoy didn't have that skill set, he was a "winner" and all that BS. I said before he was drafted that we're wasting a pick. I said that his ceiling was a decent playoff caliber QB if we surround him with pro bowl talent. But he's never going to be a game changer. He'd have shown it by now if he was. RG3 will be a difference maker and he'll be a guy who will win games for you. Then when you surround him with talent is when he becomes elite and the team becomes elite. You don't have that now and there's nothing you can say that would justify that opinion.

Oh, I'm not sold on Griffin- but it sure isn't because he lacks the physical skill set to succeed in the NFL.

Griffin and McCoy are NOT the same. McCoy is mobile, Griffin has upper echelon WR track speed. McCoy's arm strength is barely adequate, Griffin has a rocket launcher arm- I'd even posit he puts a tad more zip on the ball than even Andrew Luck.

i guess wright may learn how to run the middle of the route tree sometime....he does burn.

blackmon is the next fitz? sigh....

its sad we cant even wait till players do anything before we know how careers will shake out.

I dont even think i can comment on this

Blackmon is Dez Bryant without the mental baggage. RG3 will be Steve McNair.

I think the Bryant/Blackmon comparison is fair but RG3 to McNair? That remains to be seen. Personally I see Griffin as better than McNair but I'd still take it if that's all he amounts to.

Archived