THE BROWNS BOARD

It's official Mangini is the new coach

Jibz

Soemtimes its about what you have.

your team compiled a ton of sacks, while the Browns werre second to last with 17. Look at the talent in the linebacker corps. The Jets LB's are far from impressive yet they were able to apply pressure to the QB.

Now, the Browns with the second lowest sack total in the league yet were second in the entire NFL in INT's.

Mangini is CLEARLY a much better head coach than RAC and considering he is almost half RAC's age, it's safe to think that he could only improve as a coach.

And no one wants to hear the "We had him and fired him, so what's that say about you guys" argument. Bill Belichick and Marty Schottenheimer are both ex-Browns coaches and both have had success elsewhere after their stint in Cleveland.

Belichick won super bowls as a dc and ms has never one a big game in his life. I will say this, that the browns will regret this decsion and not sure if better then rc. never won a playoff game

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've stayed out of all the coach talk because I kept changing my mind every 10 minutes.

As for Mangini I've seen some things I like and some things I don't like. The Jets-Seahawks game from a few weeks ago was one of the worst coaching jobs I've ever seen (and that includes all those Krispy Kreme games.)

The job he did in 2007 with limited talent was encouraging.

I think the fact that he failed in N.Y. weighs in his favor. He's going to want to improve, correct his mistakes and prove his naysayers wrong.

This is a lower tier hiring. We didn't get a big name (Cowher, Shanahan etc). Is it because guys of that caliber want nothing to do with our organization? Who knows. On the other hand no coach like that has ever replicated his success in a second go around, so who knows, maybe we got lucky.

Anyway, it's a new start and I am cautiously optimistic. Let's hope the front office and player personnel situation gets sorted out soon as well.

Doug

I don't think EM had the right personal in NY for his style of team.

In Cleveland he gets a younger, faster team in a smaller city with a better fan base.

I don't agree with the coach before the GM though.

I think keeping DA though is something the Browns need to consider. Having a backup with starting experience is so important in the NFL now days, just look at Pittsburgh......Byron bailed us out twice this year.

Oh and yes, I am a Steelers fan...but unlike other fans I want Cleveland to be good, I want the revelry that the Yankees and Red Sox or the Eagles and Giants have.

The qb the previous year look pretty good in Miami this year , I guess he had better coaching

No, he was just done being shown the door by the fans and media. You can't pin Pennington on Mangini. Favre was a Tannenbaum move all the way. Go hang out at Gate D....

Thats right I am but the browns just hired a coach fired by the jets. What does that say about the browns. All the money the jets spend this year and mangini still could not make the playoffs.

Says about the same as New England hiring Belichick after he got fired here and says the same about the Colts hiring Dungy after he got fired by the Bucs and says the same about Shanahan getting hired by the Broncos after being fired by Oakland and on and on and on.

What it says about the Browns is they are a little smarter then the Jets who are second class citizens in their own home town and don't even have their own stadium. Let's see Jets 4-12 before Mangini, after first year 10-6, down year in 2007 because of injuries to QB especially and then rebounded this year and almost made the playoffs even after he got Favre stuffed down his throat.

I'm not surprised. It was obvious Lerner liked him alot. I just thought we would get further in the GM interviews first.. Especially when Mangini did not seem high on anyone elses list there was no reason to pull the trigger so soon. Well.... it is what it is.. I am not going to bash him or hail him for the past.. But look to the future and judge him on what he does here... Now for the GM.. the draft and someone who can tackle the ball carrier

first, the things i don't like: bad clock management (again), inability to make halftime adjustments (again), emotionless (again), two-gap, passive 3-4 (again).

then, what i like: not on his first HC gig (maybe he learned something from being in NY), his D got 41 sacks last year (more than twice the 17 we had).

i'm very conflicted about this hire. i think, in many ways, it's a lateral move. we just switched to a younger rac.

i smell at least three more years of mediocrity coming.

The only way this is going to work out is if randy doesnt play matchmaker with the gm he needs to play fetch the gm instead and go get what mangini wants and needs in a gm to begin fixing things..

If it happens this way i have a good feeling in my gut...

As for you jet fans go enjoy your faggy GM and new coach..oh thats right no good coach wants the job with an overpowering GM looks like shottenslimer is your man...;)

urge to kill...rising...

LOL! The thing to remember in this league: a head coach is only as good as his QB. BB before Tom Brady was winless in NE and before that he only won something like 1 year out of 4 in Cleveland. The days of body by Todd Philcox didn't look any different than the days of body by Dorsey/Gradkowski. Mangini had the Jets playing winning football when his QBs were healthy in 06 and 08.

- Tom F. (If he's off the pine in 2009 - I think we win with Quinn)

Are you sure? The espn artilce said Mangini will hire Jets quarterbacks coach Brian Daboll as OC and Rob Ryan for DC.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3817088

wolfman as DC? a blitz-heavy, risky scheme that puts our corners in man coverage where they belong? that's exciting. i hope he gets playcalling duties.

In that same ESPN article:

But by the end of his tenure in the NFL's largest market, [Mangini] was being called moody, dour and controlling.

Remind us of anyone?

This is an awesome, awesome day.

First of all, I want to thank that dude's mom for breaking the story.

1.) Tony Grossi needs to be enshrined in the Browns Hall of Fame as soon as yesterday. He has cockblocked Modell so bad that the evil MFer may never see the Hall.

2.) Randy Lerner grew a set of nads. He didn't make the poplular choice, he made his choice.

Apparantley we are now rivals with the Jets and the Patriots.

Not worried about the Jets.

It's a great day for Italian-Americans, people from Connecticut, guys with manboobs, and 3-4 linemen.

This dude started out as the copy boy for the Old School Browns and now he's going to lead the New School Browns to the Promised Land.

Doesn't get any better than that.

Zombo

--Glad we didn't wait around for three weeks for Shanahan to take a shit, like Skippy wanted to do

Guest Super Fly
The only way this is going to work out is if randy doesnt play matchmaker with the gm he needs to play fetch the gm instead and go get what mangini wants and needs in a gm to begin fixing things..

If it happens this way i have a good feeling in my gut...

As for you jet fans go enjoy your faggy GM and new coach..oh thats right no good coach wants the job with an overpowering GM looks like shottenslimer is your man...;)

Isnt that what phil savage was a overpowering GM?

he made good on some of his trades but was not willing to delegate his power and that was his fall.

it is clear that randy lerner is only concerned about making a profit off of the browns and not winning a championship. he has made it clear over the past 6 years that job number 1 is to make as much money as possible. he has never understood what football means to this town and how much we are dieing for a winner because he is not a cleveland guy; he is a business man from new york. his dad was great for this city and knew how much the browns meant to this city.

i have grown up my entire life being a browns fan while my dad and his entire family are steeler fans from pittsburgh. every thanksgiving it is 15 steeler fans and me all by myself taking their crap. it looks like i will be taking their same crap for 4 more years because mangini is not the answer. i love how lerner said that he was "impressed" by mangini in his interview. he also said he was "impressed" by romeo. the only thing to look forward to now are two things; one being that mangini may do something right and draft ray maualuga. the other being that maybe in a few years the browns will still be in the same place they are now and randy lerner will say the words we are all waiting for; "i am selling the team."

this is one of the greatest football towns in america and we have nothing to show for it. it is time that we took a step in the right direction and rid ourselves of randy lerner for good. until then i will continue to root for the browns with everything i've got and take my lumps on thanksgiving.

Mangini was the best fit and probably the best young talent to be had at the present.

While other former unemployed head coaches were to good to come here we will be glad that we didnt hire a Cowher or Shanahan they would come with to many other loyalties to other franchises.

To me hiring a those 2 would be like hiring a Loyd Carr.

Ha Ha Ha Ha another 5 years of gloom for you browns fans, don' say you have not been warned.

You suckers are in for a surprise... you fire a coach who has 2 winning seasons out of 3 years? Lol.. thanks, we'll take him.

This is an awesome, awesome day.

First of all, I want to thank that dude's mom for breaking the story.

1.) Tony Grossi needs to be enshrined in the Browns Hall of Fame as soon as yesterday. He has cockblocked Modell so bad that the evil MFer may never see the Hall.

2.) Randy Lerner grew a set of nads. He didn't make the poplular choice, he made his choice.

Apparantley we are now rivals with the Jets and the Patriots.

Not worried about the Jets.

It's a great day for Italian-Americans, people from Connecticut, guys with manboobs, and 3-4 linemen.

This dude started out as the copy boy for the Old School Browns and now he's going to lead the New School Browns to the Promised Land.

Doesn't get any better than that.

Zombo

--Glad we didn't wait around for three weeks for Shanahan to take a shit, like Skippy wanted to do

But it does bro, his name is Mangina!

I can live with this move as Mangini is said to be highly organized & Ryan as DC is a wonderful addition. A Head Coach MUST be surrounded with able assistants or he is screwed. I think Lerner may have it right this time. I also have a sneaking suspicion that the GM may already be decided upon & will be a guy EM can work well with. While we don't really know what will happen, I don't think it could be worse than we have seen.

Let's be open to a fresh start. We have more talent than was utilized this past year, so let's just wait & see what happens with them & whatever new pieces are added. I am very pleased that we didn't hire a tired old coach & got a young man who COULD be a long term solution. I am optimistic.

Mike

Archived