THE BROWNS BOARD

Yesterday

Zombo

Usually I feel crushed after a loss to the Steelers, but yesterday, when it was all over, I felt OK ... sort of a sense of relief.

We battled them for 60 minutes, and our defense hammered BGB a few times, we didn't get embarassed, none of our young stars were seriously injured, we left it all on the field.

The relief came from knowing that sometimes when the season ends, you feel tortured, but this year I feel like the future is bright.

We have two first round picks, including #4, and it looks to be a very strong draft. We either walk away with RG3 or some other incredible future star, plus fill some needs across the board.

Holmgren and Shurmur both know that him handling both HC and OC duties was a gameday disaster ... that'll be fixed.

But mainly, I am in love with defense. It's not all the way there, some holes to fill, but we havent had this much defensive talent since 1994: Sheard, Rubin, Taylor, Jackson, Haden and the injured Ward. I love those guys. That is six young defensive studs. That is awesome.

And now our MVP, Tom Heckert, gets to do his magic again.

We all know we need to add playmakers on offense. We will. And special teams need to be greatly improved and gameday coaching needs a serious upgrade ... that stuff is fixable.

We gave them hell, yesterday.

Next year we send them there...

Zombo

I heard Haden got hurt, I couldn't watch the game cause I live in the in between zone of Cleveland and Cincinnati and they always show the better match up.

Haden shook it off. Phil Taylor gave us a scare, but only missed a couple plays and was back in there. All in all we ended the season pretty healthy, I don't see a lot off-season surgery type stuff lined up for us.

Zombo

Agreed Zombo there are so postives from watching the game Yesterday, we have a very young defense and we also secured the 4th pick...

There is some foundation to put some people in there with the guys we have to have a high caliber Defense..

Mark my Words two years from now the Browns and The Bengals will be the best two teams in this Division......

the Browns and The Bengals will be the best two teams in this Division......

no, but we won't be the worse.

i'll say this w/o firing at any stooler fans but i really think their days are numbered. alot of their 'stars' are on the back end of their careers and were one injury away from not being relevant.....right next to us.

This is what they call a "LOSER MENTALITY".

We should play teams tough. That is nothing to be proud of or satisfied with. We shouldn't leave the field with players hurt and causing headlines everywhere.

We shouldn't be embarssed after a game.

You may be fine with it, but this season is a failure.

And it's starting already. The fans on this board are such big talkers durning the offseason. "with our draft we are going to be great", "it's going to be Browns first, Bengals a distant second, and the Rats and Steelers at the bottom". "Balt and Pitt stink!"

We are going to be great next year. Yea, Right!. When the Browns can put together a few seasons of winning, then they are a good team. Until then, we are just the champions of the off season, the draft and our own hype. EVERY YEAR we feel like the future is bright. EVERY YEAR.

And that's it!

The Ravens, the Steelers and the Bengals are playing in the playoffs NOW!. They have achieved. We are talking about what players MIGHT be good MAYBE, SOMEDAY.

Loser mentality.

I don't usually disagree with Zombo, seems he has some good insight most of the time, but I have to disagree this time.

That game should have been a win. It would have meant absolutely nothing other than to put an end to the Stooler streak of games against us and trying to reclaim some shred of a rivalry, but even more importantly, I am now VERY concerned for a QB. Colt has me believing he can't compete at this level of play ... at least not yet. Wallace showed why he's always been a backup. He showed allot more mobility than McCoy and created some opportunities, but his throws are not allot better than McCoy's, although they do seem better. Our receiving corp has to be the worst in the league. I liked Massaqoui for a while, but yesterday he picked up right where Little left off, dropping passes when key catches were needed. The defense leaves too many opportunities when Rothlisberger scrambles. He usually managed to turn something from nothing when he was about to drop, as he usually does. Say what you will about how much we dislike the guy, but he always seems to make things happen and there is no questioning how tough the guy is. I would've loved to see him taken out for the playoffs, but he did what he does. Our defensive secondary too often left someone for a last minute catch to make a first down. I absolutely despise the fact that Ward got his 1000. There are few cheaper players than that schmuck, but he's another that's a playmaker. At least he is on the faster end of his career drop off. I will be glad to see him gone.

Until the Browns can score touchdowns, as opposed to 3 pts. at a time, this offense is a disgrace. Hillis was a non factor as he had been all season, likely because of all his BS early on in the season. I don't believe the Madden people will be calling on him ever again. The penalties seemed to bail out the Stoolers a few times as well. This team has no strong direction, no discipline, no imagination, not enough talent and too much confidence in a Parcells wannabe (Holmgren). Holmgren has had time, Lerner simply does not care whether this team is a competitor or not, he gets his money whether the team stinks or not because Browns fans have always proven the most dedicated in the NFL. I grow more and more tired of draft pick talk, as if college draft usually make a difference in a team in a year. If they are good at all, once the hit the pro's, they usually take two seasons to start to pan out. This means 2012 will be at least, if not worse, as weak as 2011. McCoy and Hillis had me pumped going into this season. I end this season with little optimism for 2012. This pathetic team should have won at least 4 other games this season. If they were 8 - 8, I'd be optimistic, but I don't believe we need to change a coach AGAIN, we are going to get a decent QB or build a backfield able to make an impact in a year without chasing free agents. We have two true talents on this team - Cribbs and Thomas. Haden looks to eventually be a Dixon or Minnifield someday as well, but not yet. I sincerely hope Cribbs doesn't get fed up and chase a ring elsewhere, god knows he's earned the right.

The Bengals season was the biggest slap in the face a Browns fan could get. With all their turmoil, poor attendance, lack of QB and basically no hope, they are still playing and once again our season is over with a less than .500 season.

Sorry for the gloom and doom, but this team (owner) cultivates it. Zombo, I hate to contradict your positive outlook and attitude, but I just don't see it. I sincerely hope I am wrong, as once again, win or lose, I'll be watching and encouraging the Browns again in 2012. I just don't see that season as one to make me any more proud than 2011.

People on this board have been saying since 2007 the Steelers are in decline...Well they still get to play next week. We are 3-21 in the North the last 4 years until that changes expect 4-6 wins every year.

i'll say this w/o firing at any stooler fans but i really think their days are numbered. alot of their 'stars' are on the back end of their careers and were one injury away from not being relevant.....right next to us.

No thanks, I don't have the time to be in charge of your posts and opinions. However, you just keep being satisfied with almost winning, and doing pretty good against other teams.

When I have I been satisfied with losing , dumbfuck?

I said this year I feel a sense of relief because I feel the team is amassing talent and is a lot closer than other years.

If you don't think these guys on defense that held the Steelers to under 15 twice and fucked up roethlisberger's leg and Mendenhall's knee are a promising future, then why are you even watching the games because you are too dumb to comprehend them.

When have we EVER had this much talent on one or the other side of the ball?

Heckert knows what he is doing, shitforbrains, we'll let you know when it's OK to be a Browns fan again so you can come out all tough guy and say your satisified now.

Zombo

With the way my browns played the first half of the season i was thrilled to see them play very well against cin, @ pit and bal twice each down the stretch where people give it more. the offense needs alt of help but im pretty sure the FO knows that

about the last four or five games they've had an opportunity to win the game late in the fourth. that's all i want for this body of work now.

Unless we get a competent OC I wont feel good about next season. Being a first time head coach is stressful enough. Add being OC with that and its a lot to manage. Look at the cowboys, its just too much.

Maybe Shurmur isn't as bad as we think (I doubt it). If he gets a good OC maybe he'll do better and show improvement.

I'm also hopeful for RG3. I think a weak team can really benefit from a dual threat qb. It worked pretty well this year for Carolina. A dual threat can really help make up for a lack of talent on the offense. Can't wait for the draft!

We gave them hell, yesterday.

Next year we send them there...

Zombo

Ironically, that's what yinz said last year.

... and the year before, and before.

Sooner or later it's bound to happen I guess and when it does, I'm sure Zombo, in true Zombo fashion will take full credit for the prediction of the century.

There truly is a fine line between genius and insanity.

Regards...

... an'at

Ironically, that's what yinz said last year.

... and the year before, and before.

Sooner or later it's bound to happen I guess and when it does, I'm sure Zombo, in true Zombo fashion will take full credit for the prediction of the century.

There truly is a fine line between genius and insanity.

Regards...

... an'at

is that a dancing cow in your avatar?

wow, you are one fat beast.

you're so fat that if we pulled your leg off gravy would come pouring out.

you're so fat that when people walk down the street with you, they don't walk with you, they walk among you.

is that a dancing cow in your avatar?

wow, you are one fat beast.

you're so fat that if we pulled your leg off gravy would come pouring out.

you're so fat that when people walk down the street with you, they don't walk with you, they walk among you.

Prime example of why stains fans are deluded into thinking their team will be successful year after year.

That will probably sail over your head, not unexpectedly though.

Go Browns!

Regards...

... an'at

Holmgren and Shurmur both know that him handling both HC and OC duties was a gameday disaster ... that'll be fixed.

Zombo

I hope to God you are right, but I can't trust a thing Shurmer does.

We all can agree the Browns aren't playing with a full deck of talent, but the head coach has got to be aggressive. I called for his head after the Arizona game, when we already clinched last place (4-9), and we punted from the Cards' 47 yard line on 4th & 2 inches with a 10-0 lead. Yesterday, he punts from the Pit 39 yard line, in the 4th quarter- Pit went for it on 4th down at least 3 times as I recall.

I admire your eternal optimism Zombo, and I bleed Brown & Orange as much as anybody here. How can a coach play it that way (conservative), with around 30,000 Steeler fans in attendance, in our own stadium? We had NOTHING to lose, we are the inferior team. WE NEED to start winning home games, especially against division foes.

(Un)Shurmer, I hope he proves me wrong. He's too conservative, in my humble opinion.

Prime example of why stains fans are deluded into thinking their team will be successful year after year.

That will probably sail over your head, not unexpectedly though.

Go Browns!

Regards...

... an'at

for all the time you troll on here you should know that i hated the mangini firing and said at best we'd win 5 games this year. so how does that mean i thought they'd be successful? AND unless we somehow add an OC or tweak this whack ass WCO we'll be lucky to win 6 next year depending on schedule. yeah we might add some rookie talent through the draft but to think we'll contend for the division title is crazy.

no offense to you stooler fans but you come on here, talk shit and when we blast back you get all defensive and upset. the best solution would be not to come on here.

for all the time you troll on here you should know that i hated the mangini firing and said at best we'd win 5 games this year. so how does that mean i thought they'd be successful? AND unless we somehow add an OC or tweak this whack ass WCO we'll be lucky to win 6 next year depending on schedule. yeah we might add some rookie talent through the draft but to think we'll contend for the division title is crazy.

no offense to you stooler fans but you come on here, talk shit and when we blast back you get all defensive and upset. the best solution would be not to come on here.

We come here just to listen to yinz whine about us being here, you oughta know that by now.

Besides, I haven't been here for a long time, rarely. I'll get a few end of season shots off and I'll be gone for the next 6 months or so.

Then I won't threaten your draft or big gay ben threads, promise.

Regards...

... an'at

A couple of things:

1) I would like to thank the Browns players for working their butt off to be a competitive team on the field for almost every game this season. They lacked talent in key play-making positions, had terrible coaching, terrible play calling, many rookies learning to play in the big leagues, etc. etc. but they showed a lot of heart and never stopped working hard to try and win. They deserve our applause. It takes a lot to win an NFL game and you can't do it on a wing and a prayer. These players are winners, they just need more talented playmakers, experience, a couple of upgrades, and some coaching support.

2) Whether Colt was effective or not is tommorrow's question. For today, I can say that he played his guts out every game he played this season. He may not have the talent to succeed at this level but he gave 100%, took a lot of hits, and never gave up. I believe that the QB is a critical position and this might be our last time selecting at #4, so I expect them to pick a QB (unless a #1 WR is the better talent). But I hope that Colt has the opportunity to compete for the starting role next season.

3) This board has been too hard on Shurmer. He, too, is a rookie. And he wasn't given an OC. That was just plain stupid on Holmgren's behalf. I think he'll be far improved next year and let's hope our OC has a less conservative plan.

4) FA and the draft can make a lot of difference. I still say that most of our best players were from drafts of the last three years, so I am optimistic that eventually, we will have a winning team. I am a big Heckart fan, but I am so very disappointed in Holmgren that I can't begin to describe it. He hasn't been worth the money we've given him, and I question many of rhe decisions he's made to date.

5) Nothing wrong with Steeler or other fans boasting. They deserve to have this ability with teams that make the playoffs. Let's hope we get the same bragging rights some day.

6) It was a strange year for the Browns, Who could have predicted the Hillis drop-off. The Stienbach injury. Colt going from accurate to inaccurate. On the other hand, the D-line positively surprised me. But our issues at WR, and right-side of the o-line were not addressed and we paid the price for it - as predicted by many on this board.

Have a good off-season everyone. There's always next year, Dawgs.

I concur with zombo, we lost but our guys never quit and we were in the game till the very end, you cant win em all and you cant ask more from your team than to give it their best shot in the last game of a losing season against the stoolers at home and that they did imho..

I was glad to see colt get a fair shot because he earned it last year but i still cant help but to wonder what would have happened if wallace had been prepped and started this season, there is no way to know but i suspect we would have won more games..

Colt is a tuff kid but wallace came in cold off the bench and gave this team a spark and he has earned the right to compete for the starting position next year, however imho we still need to keep looking for that ever evasive franchise QB regardless of who starts next year..

Actually I'm not all that upset about the play calling. If the team doesn't execute properly then who gives a rat's ass what play was called?

Look I realize excuses are for losers but geez, we were probably hurt worse than any other team by the strike. I have no particular love for Shurmer (Holmgren either for that matter) But with a new coach a new system and a new almost everything we had almost no time to prepare. I don't expect to make that excuse next season.

I thought Mangini deserves another year until I saw the results of the last 2 games .

Sure this time we had a running game for a few games and that certainly is important.

I believe had that been the case all season long and we had a healthy Steinbach the season would have been better still.

Back to my original point I sat and watched the game with some friends who were just screeching About passes to the sideline. Guess what... You get the same amount of yards from dropped pass no matter where you throw it. And in spite of the pissing moaning and belly aching the game came down to the wire.

I feel better about things at this point than I did last year at the same time.

WSS

I agree Steve.

Any play can work if the QB sees the field, the line blocks, and the receivers and back do what they are supposed to do.

Play calling is over rated.

it coulda been much worse.....tho we didn't play too bad. get this team an offense that can get out of its own way and thats a win. overall, team is younger, faster, and alot more talented. still a ways to go, but we're closer than we have been in a long time.

bitch, whine, cry if ya want about not making the playoffs, winning 4 games, whatever. if you expected much from this season, you're quite possibly Retarded and deserve the inner strife.

I think they shed a lot of age this year. They are going to be 20+ mill over the cap and the older bigger contracts will have to go.

GONE

Batch

Dixon

Colon or Kemoeatu and J. Scott

Farrior

McFadden

Sepulvida

Aaron Smith

Suisham

Ward

We come here just to listen to yinz whine about us being here, you oughta know that by now.

Besides, I haven't been here for a long time, rarely. I'll get a few end of season shots off and I'll be gone for the next 6 months or so.

Then I won't threaten your draft or big gay ben threads, promise.

Regards...

So? You know for a fact that he is gay?

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Actually I'm not all that upset about the play calling. If the team doesn't execute properly then who gives a rat's ass what play was called?

Look I realize excuses are for losers but geez, we were probably hurt worse than any other team by the strike. I have no particular love for Shurmer (Holmgren either for that matter) But with a new coach a new system and a new almost everything we had almost no time to prepare. I don't expect to make that excuse next season.

I thought Mangini deserves another year until I saw the results of the last 2 games .

Sure this time we had a running game for a few games and that certainly is important.

I believe had that been the case all season long and we had a healthy Steinbach the season would have been better still.

Back to my original point I sat and watched the game with some friends who were just screeching About passes to the sideline. Guess what... You get the same amount of yards from dropped pass no matter where you throw it. And in spite of the pissing moaning and belly aching the game came down to the wire.

I feel better about things at this point than I did last year at the same time.

WSS

I resemble that remark!

I think they shed a lot of age this year. They are going to be 20+ mill over the cap and the older bigger contracts will have to go.

GONE

Batch

Dixon

Colon or Kemoeatu and J. Scott

Farrior

McFadden

Sepulvida

Aaron Smith

Suisham

Ward

The biggest loss that team could suffer is if Dick LeBeau actually does retire.

it coulda been much worse.....tho we didn't play too bad. get this team an offense that can get out of its own way and thats a win. overall, team is younger, faster, and alot more talented. still a ways to go, but we're closer than we have been in a long time.

bitch, whine, cry if ya want about not making the playoffs, winning 4 games, whatever. if you expected much from this season, you're quite possibly Retarded and deserve the inner strife.

This is so true. Why would we expect winning more than 4 games? Fans should be satisfied. We are "closer than we have been in a long time". In fact, next year, we should expect to win 5 or 6 games.

We are so much closer to having a below average record.

Maybe we should expect a winning season because the Browns are a professional football team. They have the same access to players and coaches than every other team, and more money than most.

Archived