THE BROWNS BOARD

Jets bloggers on Mangini

JewDago

Though there's more to the article than this, one section in particular stood out and scares me to death:

4. Tell me a few of the worst things about Eric Mangini that we Clevelanders should be thinking about as he sits as the reported frontrunner for the Cleveland coaching job.

The Legend of Cecilio Guante - I don’t think demonstrative, fiery or inspiring would be words that Brownies fans associated with Romeo Crennel (call me out if I’m wrong). This is good, because you sure as heck aren’t going to be using any of those adjectives to describe Mangini .

I think we as a collective lot of sports fans tend to go too far in equating facial expressions and sideline decible levels (see: Gruden, Cowher) to success. That said, I like those types. Should Mangini take the helm in Cleveland, get ready for a consistently blank expression that conveys a sense that everything is happening to him, and he is powerless to control or alter any of those circumstances (like maybe through coaching or something).

Oh yes, and you can also look forward to incredibly questionable decisions like going for it on fourth-and-two from your own 20, down a touchdown on the road with 2:21 on the clock and three timeouts remaining. Sorry, sometimes bold and italics are the only ways to appropriately convey disgust in such forums. You can also read about other gems from the Jets-Seattle disaster to get a feel for what you might have coming.

TheJetsBlog.com - His press conferences reveal nothing so don’t expect to glean a lot from his sitdowns with the press. He also limits the time that writers can watch practices during the season, which chafed at the press some. His scheme isn’t very savvy in terms of blitzing, so look for a bend-don’t-break style defense … it’s not always fun.

the whole article is here: http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/?p=6308#more-6308

the more i find out, the less i want mangini and would prefer anyone in his place. he sounds very rac-ish. and, of course, he's who we're gonna get.

incredibly questionable decisions like going for it on fourth-and-two from your own 20, down a touchdown on the road with 2:21 on the clock and three timeouts remaining

I don't see that as a terribly bad thing. Better then kicking a field goal down 17 with 5 minutes left. Sounds like he was trying to win the game with his offense, a concept we forget about often here. Was the defense getting beat all game? If that's the case it would seem smarter to try and tie it up with the offense rather then relying on a suspect defense.

Romeo would have punted, failed at clock management again and left us with 3 timouts, 16 seconds left, and the ball on our own 20.

Guest Masters

It's a blogger. Taking what they say for gospel is like taking something on here as gospel. I take it w/ a grain of salt. I didn't see RAC games when I watched the Jets.

Let's say you're a fan of a team that is considering hiring Crennel. You wouldn't want to, say, peruse this board or something to see how fans of the team he formerly coached felt? Not even a little???

Of course you would.

Of course you'd take them with a grain of salt, as they are mere fan reactions, but the Lumberghs are truly easy to pick out and dismiss and there are some damn good/intelligent/informed posters here that I'd want to read if there was a Jets equivalent (which I'm going to go look for right now).

Guest Masters
Let's say you're a fan of a team that is considering hiring Crennel. You wouldn't want to, say, peruse this board or something to see how fans of the team he formerly coached felt? Not even a little???

Of course you would.

Not saying that. But I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Guest Masters
Of course you'd take them with a grain of salt, as they are mere fan reactions, but the Lumberghs are truly easy to pick out and dismiss and there are some damn good/intelligent/informed posters here that I'd want to read if there was a Jets equivalent (which I'm going to go look for right now).

A lot of times the blogger that goes to that effort is a Lum or Rich type.

I could give a rats ass what Jets fans think. They all suck. If Lerner wants to give him a chance, do it. Lets get it going.

Correct, they can't even get anybody to take the job now. That's a blogger man, does anybody know his credentials. Could be some moron like Rich4eagle.

How could anybody get anything out of that except amusement. Like saying Tom Landry and Tony Dungy sucked because they didn't get excited on the sidelines. Give me a friggin break. The guy took a shit team and had two winning seasons out of 3 with a piece of crap FO. After OTAs, minicamp and part of training camp the owner and that moron Tannenbaun bring in another QB and the offense the team worked on for a year has to change. Then the QB gets a sore arm and throws 8 INTs so Mangini becomes the scapegoat to pacify Jets fans because they need to sell PSLs for their new stadium.

I'll gladly take Mangini and paying attention to anything coming out of New York by fans who are in envy of the Giants is brainless.

This isn't even a bias media person, this is a friggin blogger.............. LOL

these guys aren't particularly reactionary. if they were, WFNY wouldn't have asked them to come on.

read the blogs before you dismiss what they're saying, if that's not too much effort for you.

i read the legend regularly. it's level-headed and even. the guy who writes it, despite being a jets/mets fan, isn't a screaming moron poster. hell, he even lauded d'qwell in a recent post (the stars of the downtrodden).

it's fine to not take it as gospel, but completely dismissing it without context is the exact kind of thing a mindless idiot poster would do.

edit: like most sports journalists are any better. the line between amateur sports reporting and professional is rapidly disintegrating, and amateurs often have equal if not superior insight to what the pros do.

Here's a Mangini thread from a board that looks somewhat like ours. They seem to have mixed feelings on the matter, unlike how we felt about RAC.

Here's a fun read on how Jets fans feel about the possibility of trading for Derek Anderson.

!!!SPOILER ALERT!!! (they hate him)

Put them in touch with Lumbergh, maybe they'll offer two first rounders.

What would have Brown's fans told the Patriots about Belichick?

Enough said.

I'm sure some Browns fans were objective, I'm sure some were mad he was let go. I'm sure some were very excited. I'm sure it would be a mixed bag.

Not everyone is a DieHard-style meathead. Some people can actually make rational arguments and have rational discussions when putting their emotions aside.

Oh DieHard. I'd call you capricious in your desire to want Lerner to hire someone so quickly, but I doubt you know what the word capricious even means.

Guest Masters
these guys aren't particularly reactionary. if they were, WFNY wouldn't have asked them to come on.

read the blogs before you dismiss what they're saying, if that's not too much effort for you.

i read the legend regularly. it's level-headed and even. the guy who writes it, despite being a jets/mets fan, isn't a screaming moron poster. hell, he even lauded d'qwell in a recent post (the stars of the downtrodden).

it's fine to not take it as gospel, but completely dismissing it without context is the exact kind of thing a mindless idiot poster would do.

edit: like most sports journalists are any better. the line between amateur sports reporting and professional is rapidly disintegrating, and amateurs often have equal if not superior insight to what the pros do.

I did read it. Which is why I responded as I did.

Archived