THE BROWNS BOARD

Why Mangini?

WPB Dawg Fan

I love this article. It is the first one that comes close to explaining how and why Lerner is doing what he is doing in finding the new FO/HC. And quite frankly, I LIKE IT!!!

McManamon on Mangini

I especially like the fact that there has been a lot of research done to determine what makes for success....and that he has reached out to other teams to see what they have done. It implies that he is utilizing ALL INFORMATION AVAILABLE to make the RIGHT DECISION!

The facts about first time coaches have been documented here before. That they tend to miss on at least 1, but more often BOTH of their coordinators the first time around (see RAC). Where previous coaches are far more successful in picking them.

The comment about the 'older' coaches also seems to make sense. They have 'ties' to the teams they have been with...but Mangini has experience and no ties. That is a good mix.

Let's hope the BEST MAN wins.

Many times a coach needs a 2nd stop.

The first go around they sometimes make mistakes, both in hires and the way they handle the team...you can change coordinators easy enough, but changing the way you handle the team isn't as easy since the players already have you pegged as this or that.

If he has done anything in NY he wants to change as far as his style, he will be able to do it here.

I love this article. It is the first one that comes close to explaining how and why Lerner is doing what he is doing in finding the new FO/HC. And quite frankly, I LIKE IT!!!

McManamon on Mangini

I especially like the fact that there has been a lot of research done to determine what makes for success....and that he has reached out to other teams to see what they have done. It implies that he is utilizing ALL INFORMATION AVAILABLE to make the RIGHT DECISION!

The facts about first time coaches have been documented here before. That they tend to miss on at least 1, but more often BOTH of their coordinators the first time around (see RAC). Where previous coaches are far more successful in picking them.

The comment about the 'older' coaches also seems to make sense. They have 'ties' to the teams they have been with...but Mangini has experience and no ties. That is a good mix.

Let's hope the BEST MAN wins.

Mangini is a gum chewing punk in my opinion and I think if the Browns pick someone like him to be their head coach they are not going to be much better and things within the organization are going to stay pretty much status quo. The fact that Mangini was 8-3 at one point this year with the Jets after beating the Patriots on the road, and the Titans who were unbeaten at the time on the road back to back weeks and he then followed that up by losing 4 of his last 5 games to teams like the Broncos,49ers,Seattle and Miami, and a game against the Bills that they probably should have lost had JP Losman not given the game away because he is so horrible, the Jets would have lost their last 5 games. It just shows you that Eric Mangini didnt really do a good job of keeping a pretty decent Jets team together once the Jets tasted success this season after beating Tennessee. And if that guy is going to be my head coach and I am going to pick him to turn the Browns franchise back into winners, I would take a long hard look at that and it would be a huge red flag for me and big big concern.

Mangini is a gum chewing punk in my opinion and I think if the Browns pick someone like him to be their head coach they are not going to be much better and things within the organization are going to stay pretty much status quo. The fact that Mangini was 8-3 at one point this year with the Jets after beating the Patriots on the road, and the Titans who were unbeaten at the time on the road back to back weeks and he then followed that up by losing 4 of his last 5 games to teams like the Broncos,49ers,Seattle and Miami, and a game against the Bills that they probably should have lost had JP Losman not given the game away because he is so horrible, the Jets would have lost their last 5 games. It just shows you that Eric Mangini didnt really do a good job of keeping a pretty decent Jets team together once the Jets tasted success this season after beating Tennessee. And if that guy is going to be my head coach and I am going to pick him to turn the Browns franchise back into winners, I would take a long hard look at that and it would be a huge red flag for me and big big concern.

Hey Holmes.... Think maybe... Favre's arm had something to do with them losing?

would you like a quarter to call someone who cares to hear your opinion?

Guest Masters

You do realize during the NYJ last 4 games Favre threw only 2 TDs and 8 Ints, as well as apparently playing with a bum arm. You can't exactly pin that on the HC.

Guest Ghoolie

Finally, some news I don't have to bitch about.

I thought Kosar was a cancer in his last 2 years and applauded Bill B for canning his ass. I happen to think Bret Favre is a world class asshole and really single handedly kept the Jets out of the playoffs. I thought Mangini made the Jets competitive and exciting. Doing it in spite of asshole Favre gets extra kudos from me.

I don't know much about Kukonis other than he is Greek (Prima should love that, O pa). However, having a head coach and GM who are simpatico, while not mandatory, could also be the best thing to ever happen to the Browns. I believe Lerner to be a meddling prick, however with two voices united he might be less likely to insist on his own wishes and instead let these two guys run the damned team.

Believe it or not, I am not one to not give a guy a chance, but there was NEVER any chance Sewage and Crennell were going to succeed.

I don't want Crennel anywhere near this team. I think it was pathetic of him to literally beg to remain on the staff. Seriously, WTF is up with that?

I couldn't imagine any head coach getting fired and then whipmering up for a chance to powder the players pee pees if thats what needs doing. Why isn't this fat tub of shit-lard fighting, gnashing and gnarling for another head coach job? Where is his self respect and determination to succeed?

I say get him out of town.

>>>>He started his career as an intern in the Browns' public relations department, and when the Jets visited Cleveland two years ago, he sent the media lunch with a note that said: ''I don't forget where I came from.''>>>>

I remember reading this a couple years ago and thinking..that is pretty damn cool...

Hey Holmes.... Think maybe... Favre's arm had something to do with them losing?

Yea it had a lot to do with it but it still doesnt change the fact that they lost to mediocre to bad teams such as the Broncos,Niners,and Seattle, and the Bills who would have beat them had JP Losman not fumbled the ball at the end of the game and gave the game away virtually to the Jets. If you watch the game against the Broncos the Jets played like I did the week after they beat Tennessee you can just see the Jets had thought they had arrived and just needed to show up that week after beating the Titans and that alone would be good enough to beat a struggling Denver team. That kind of attitude and lack of play is on Mangini not Brett Favre he is the head coach. Favre's horrible play had a lot to do with them collapsing at the end of the year I agree, but dont sit here and act like Mangini being the head coach of that team had nothing to do with it either and he gets a free pass. It's Mangini's job to have the Jets prepared and ready to play and it's obvious the last 4-5 weeks of the season especially those games on the West Coast they played and lost against bad teams like Seattle and the 49ers Mangini didnt do a good enough job.

Interesting stuff off of rotoworld.com

Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post hears that Eric Mangini has already begun assembling a coaching staff in Cleveland.

That staff might include Romeo Crennel as defensive coordinator. Another candidate to run the Browns' defense if Mangini gets the job is current Raiders DC Rob Ryan. Mangini nearly got Ryan on his Jets staff last year. Jan. 5 -

thoughts on Rob Ryan anyone?

Please, no Romeo. Please!!!!!!!!!!!

thoughts on Rob Ryan anyone?

I always liked Rob better than Rex, and not just because of the Joe Esterhaus (sp) haircut.

t1_ryan.jpg

His relationship with Mangini makes sense as he was LB coach on those Pats teams. Again, having a staff comprised of dudes on the same page cannot be underestimated. It's like a baseball team made up of all-stars from different team never functions as well as a cohesive group of guys on the same page.

I was totally against Mangini at first glance. But, with more and more info coming to light, bringing him in seems to be the best option. First of all, who else is out there that is available, would be any better, and would even have the desire to come to Cleveland? Nobody! A lot of people will complain if Lerner hires another HC with no HC experience. Others will whine about getting another retread HC. Still others will bitch about the hiring of a HC from the college ranks. Bottom line is that Lerner is not going to make everyone happy with whoever he hires! But, he seems to have learned from the last time that his HC and GM have got to be on the same page.

Mangini has had multiple winning seasons as a HC with equal or less talent than the Browns currently have. And he has ties to Cleveland, so he knows what to expect. He is a disciplinarian...Obviously a big change from Romeo and any of the other recent Browns HC's. And he has ties with decent coordinators.

I say, if Lerner brings in Mangini and Kokinis, we should give him the benefit of the doubt. People criticized the hiring of BB and Pioli in New England too! Look how that turned out. This looks to be a very similar situation!

Guest Masters
I'm not a fan of RAC coming back, but if he did, bring him in only as a Defensive Line coach

The funny thing is, the best showing over a season (at least in sacks and INT) since the return was the 2000 Browns, which had RAC as the D coordinator.

But I do not like the idea of the former HC being on staff in a lesser role. That is a recipe for disaster, as you run the risk of some players still looking to RAC as if he was the HC. Along with lots of other potential conflicts.

Hey Dawg Fan, great article, thanks. Maybe that will simmer a few disgruntled posters down.

Coaches win more games then GMs. I like the fact that he was considered too hard when he forst got to NY. He backed off a little but is still a disciplinarian. We have a few guys that need that.

I like Ryan and also heard Dom Capers's name and that Bob Sutton could come with him. Offensively Bill Callahan and Denver's QB coach Jeremy Bates. Would love to see BC coach Jagodzinski as OC. He has NFL experience and is a super mentoring QBs. He would be great for Quinn.

Since the Ravens have turned down the Brown's request to interview Kokinis, I wonder where they are going from here.

Just bring in a winning team.......................................

Let me see if I can remember how this went

Quote RAC "We play them(Shitzburgh) close once and then get killed the other game,so..um..umm.we'll have to see how this goes"

Are you friggin shitt'n me? get your spinless tub-o-shit a$$ out of town and don't let the door hit ya

We don't want this guy back on our sidlines under any condition.

Archived