THE BROWNS BOARD

Lerner officially reaches out to Kokinis

Guest mz.

The Browns have asked for and received permission to interview Ravens director of pro personnel George Kokinis for their general manager vacancy, a league source told the Plain Dealer Sunday.

The interview will take place as soon as possible, the source said. The Ravens defeated the Dolphins, 27-9, on Sunday and will face the Titans Saturday in Tennessee in the Divisional Round of the playoffs.

Looks like this is really happening. Mangini and Kokinis.

via here.

I think I like it. We'll see.

Ive been thinking this would be it..pioli doesnt have the balls to crawl out of BBs ass so hes not really what we need anyways..

Kockinhis mangenius just sounds like they fit together really well..lol

Seriously though if this does happen i think it will solidify the organization at least we would have a coach and gm that basicly have some blocks to build with..

I agree...whatever is good for the organization. That fact is, none of us (at least me, anyway) know dick about these people. It's basically all speculation and propaganda. What I do know is that I want a GM and HC that have chemistry and can work well together. Other than that, I have no clue who is qualified and who isn't.

Let's hope 2009 treats us a lot better than 2008. It's been a bitch of a year.

Guest Masters
Is anyone in the room with Lerner helping him with these interviews? I mean really, how does he know what to be enamored about?

Some body pointed out Lerner has Accorsi or someone else helping him.

I agree...whatever is good for the organization. That fact is, none of us (at least me, anyway) know dick about these people. It's basically all speculation and propaganda. What I do know is that I want a GM and HC that have chemistry and can work well together. Other than that, I have no clue who is qualified and who isn't.

Let's hope 2009 treats us a lot better than 2008. It's been a bitch of a year.

I agree as well. The on field team will & HAS suffered due to a LACK of teamwork from those in coaching/management. It sounds like they ARE concentrating on putting a cohesive management TEAM together. We can only hope.

Mike

Is anyone in the room with Lerner helping him with these interviews? I mean really, how does he know what to be enamored about?

He has Keenen with him and also has been talking to Ernie Accorsi and Wellington Mara's son. I would hope he is talking to some othe football people too.

I was thinking that Mara and Accorsi should have a good handle on Mangini since they play in the same city.

Truth is, nobody knows shit, as Grossi pointed out in his column this morning. John Harbaugh. That sums it all up. As Fluges points out, he kept Ryan and told everyone the defense was his playground. Then he went and got Cam Cameron for his young quarterback. Then he had the balls to start Flacco from day one.

The Ravens are 11-5 and headed for the Divisional Round. And they didn't have to fight anyone for John Harbaugh.

Balls to Start Flacco ...Who else was he gonna start ??? Troy ?? Bouman ? His hand got forced... Much like Cowher when Maddux went down....So... it worked out nicly but Jihn Harbaugh shouldn't be Knighted for that decision.

I agree as well. The on field team will & HAS suffered due to a LACK of teamwork from those in coaching/management. It sounds like they ARE concentrating on putting a cohesive management TEAM together. We can only hope.

Mike

This is very cohesive. Mangini and Kokinis are very close friends. Kokinis is on the Board of Directors of Mangini's charitable foundation and also they are both from the Hartford, CT area. They go back a ways to their early days in Cleveland as well. I think this will be quite unified.

Guest Masters
Balls to Start Flacco ...Who else was he gonna start ??? Troy ?? Bouman ? His hand got forced... Much like Cowher when Maddux went down....So... it worked out nicly but Jihn Harbaugh shouldn't be Knighted for that decision.

Especially since they had Troy Smith penciled in as the starter until he got sick.

Mary Kay seems convinced, huh?:

"During his interview with Browns owner Randy Lerner, Mangini identified Kokinis as his top choice to run the personnel side of the business. If Lerner likes what he hears from Kokinis, he'll be ready to hire both of them, a source said.

The Browns have been waiting for Patriots vice president Scott Pioli, originally their top general manager candidate, to decide what he wants to do. But if Lerner becomes as enamored with Kokinis as he is with Mangini, he'll act quickly on the duo, the source said.

All indications are that the Browns will soon end up with the Mangini-Kokinis team."

She also wrote that Lerner sees this as his version of Belicheck-Pioli when New England hired them.

You know Shep I don't really know much about Kokinis, like most on here, so I don't think people can diss him or praise him. I would say that 90% of posters here never heard of his name before and most couldn't name a handful of GMs throughout the league or count on one hand the number of Player Personnel directors they know.

But looking at Kokinis's resume and bio, he handles roster evaluations, FA and contracts for Ozzie. McCreight is mostly college player evaluations and is excellent with the scouting staff. Might just be a nice marriage. McCreight came from the RAvens and I'm sure the two know each other. Could be why Lerner brought him to New York for an interview.

Hey, I willing to watch it unfold with an open mind. One positive, there sure is a lot of defensive FAs in Balt this year and they can't afford to sign them all.

This is very cohesive. Mangini and Kokinis are very close friends. Kokinis is on the Board of Directors of Mangini's charitable foundation and also they are both from the Hartford, CT area. They go back a ways to their early days in Cleveland as well. I think this will be quite unified.

Kokinis is also friends with McCreight, who is our Player Personnel Director.

But looking at Kokinis's resume and bio, he handles roster evaluations, FA and contracts for Ozzie. McCreight is mostly college player evaluations and is excellent with the scouting staff. Might just be a nice marriage. McCreight came from the RAvens and I'm sure the two know each other. Could be why Lerner brought him to New York for an interview.

Hey, I willing to watch it unfold with an open mind. One positive, there sure is a lot of defensive FAs in Balt this year and they can't afford to sign them all.

Including Ray Lewis.

I would add to your point that no one really knows who made the talent evaluations in NY. It was kind of a Lennon-McCartney thing with Tannenbaum and Mangini but I will point out that Tannenbaum has never had any experience scouting players. He was brought on by Parcells to manage the cap. He's a lawyer by training. I am stretching the logic here but it would not be unreasonable to assume that Mangini identified more of the talent and the GM signed it. This past off season, Mangini identified Pace and Jenkins who were big additions. I think that the Favre thing was all Tannenbaum and the owner. THESE ARE GUESSES ON MY PART but I don't find them implausible.

I recall Troy Smith being annointed the starter, then he got sick - Harbaugh had no choice but to start Flacco.

Well, it sure does look like it's headed this way.

I'm not nearly as excited about Mangini-Kokinis as I would be about Pioli-McDaniels but you know what? That lack of excitement might be the best indication that this is the RIGHT move because it's shaping up to be a smart FOOTBALL move and not necessarily a smart PR move.

Just like the majority of us were in Camp AP or Camp BQ because they had the hot chicks and the drinks with umbrellas in them, the smart guys were in Camp JT with the Buds and the sleeveless shirts stanking of fish and sweat. Because that's where football teams are made and football games are won.

Similarly, the young, hot prospect with one good year is exciting precisely because he's totally unknown. There's nothing to NOT like. YET.

So, getting the previously hot coaching prospect who was fired only because the Jets brass got themselves a bad case of Favre-itis (a condition marked by excessive man-love for a "legend" who hasn't won anything in 10 years and throws timely INTs to lose his team games) may be exactly the right idea, especially when the whole organization is in desperate need of a legitimate HC to reset the tone in Berea.

As for Kokinis, I like the idea that he and Mangini would be a team and I also like the idea that Kokinis could be more of an actual GM, overseeing and managing, instead of being just a personnel guy.

I'm not excited about it but I am starting to think it could work. That's something, at least.

Turns out Kokinis started here in Cleveland as well...

Kokinis began his NFL scouting career with the Browns in 1991 after serving as an intern in the operations department. He has worked 18 years with Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome.

....almost feels like a 'back to the future, Browns style' movie.

Guest Aloysius
As for Kokinis, I like the idea that he and Mangini would be a team and I also like the idea that Kokinis could be more of an actual GM, overseeing and managing, instead of being just a personnel guy.

I think that's the case for Pioli, not Kokinis.

As Mary Kay Cabot put it:

Unlike his predecessor, Phil Savage, Kokinis has not been responsible for the NFL draft. Eric DeCosta, director of college scouting, handles that chore under the direction of Newsome.

In essence, Kokinis doesn't have the same impressive resume that Savage did with the Ravens. However, he'd have a rapport with Mangini that Savage never had with coach Romeo Crennel.

So it's more like Kokinis is a personnel guy like Savage, only with a less impressive resume. His main selling point, it seems, is that he won't clash with the head coach, but that doesn't necessarily make him an effective FO manager.

Archived