THE BROWNS BOARD

Adrian Peterson

rich4eagle

Adrian Peterson of the Vikings ran 40 yards for a TD his eight of that lenght in his short career. Peterson is the guy we passed on(the guy I was adamant about wanting with that pick) to get Joe Thomas........! If Peterson keeps it up he will eventually match Thomas record of 12 40 plus TD runs .......or was it 12 sub 5 second forty yard runs.........or sumtim.........

OL guys are a dime a dozen...........Adrian Peterson's are precious

Guest Masters

And runs behind a line loaded with high paid, high drafted OL men. A team that had a 1,200 yard back in Taylor behind that same line.

AP is a great talent, but give him no holes to run through, and he does nothing. He ain't Barry Sanders.

He just scored again matching Joe Thomas touchdown total for playoff games.......................did Joe Thomas ever play in a playoff game ............did he ever score a Touchdown

Adrian Peterson is a game changer

Joe Thomas' are a dime a dozen

BTW Minny's line is paid less than our 37 million dollar line that lead us to zero tds the last six games

Guest Masters

Well until MIN replaced the higest paid G in the NFL and their 1st round pick LT with dime a dozen guys, I guess we'll never know.

And even trying to say anything about Thomas scoring TDs is just plain Retarded. Of course considering the source.....

Exactly and great backs make any lineman effective if they have decent cohesion and coaching schemes........just ask Carolina that can run and Cleveland that cannot run..........and jeff Davidson worked at both places

Adrian Peterson of the Vikings

I thought you were talking about the one from the Bears. Thanks for the clarification.

PS that one is also better than Jamal Lewis.

Adrian Peterson of the Vikings ran 40 yards for a TD his eight of that lenght in his short career. Peterson is the guy we passed on(the guy I was adamant about wanting with that pick) to get Joe Thomas........! If Peterson keeps it up he will eventually match Thomas record of 12 40 plus TD runs .......or was it 12 sub 5 second forty yard runs.........or sumtim.........

OL guys are a dime a dozen...........Adrian Peterson's are precious

Oh, I was with you about Peterson, but wasn't all that upset about us taking Joe Thomas. Yeah, Peterson was so precious, his team lost. Brian Westbrook- a third round choice gained as many yards.

How'd Ladanian Thomlinson (certain HOFer) look last night? Oh I forgot- it was a guy that I never heard of- Derrick Sproules rip 'em up for the third highest combined yardage in playoff history while LT rode pine nursing his owie. I'd wager Jerome Harrison could have done the same.

Now you might argue that you can get superior o-line play if you get superior coaching, but I'll just say this- you really can't substitute for superior talent. If it was just being able to get big fat guys to line up and stand in the way- well on the other side of the ball Ted Washington should have been voted to the Pro Bowl when he played for the Browns.

I don't often agree with Shep, but he's dead on right about one thing- it's damn easier to find really good running backs late in the draft than great quarterbacks.

I never said it was harder to find a running back than a franchise QB.........I have maintained for decades that it is the key position and hardest to fill with true franchise greatness,,,,,,,,,so I been way ahead of Shep on that concept since I am older than him :rolleyes:

but I am saying after QB RB is next most precious position

BTW I am confident Willie Green would have turned the seven blocks of granite.........into seven piles of mush :P

Makes one wonder if Jamal Lewis is spent or just a product of the same line that kept every QB we had in this year, against the ropes. Some scrambled better (BQ vs. DA) knowing that they HAD based on the way our OL effectivity. JL seemed to fade nearly halfway through the season, getting an occasional breakout run. How would JL do with Minnesota's line ? does he still have a fair amount of steam left ?

Guest Masters
Inlcuding a couple second rounders if I'm not mistaken.

2 1st rounders, 1 second rounder, and 1 3rd rounder. The fifth guy is a 5th rounder.

Sounds like a bunch of dime-a-dozen stiffs on that CAR O-line to me.

In comparison, we have one 1st rounder (Thomas), one 2nd rounder (Steinbach), one 3rd rounder (McKinney), one 4th rounder (Tucker), one 6th rounder (Hadnot) and one UDFA (Fraley).

Both CAR and CLE both currently have #1 picks running the ball. So maybe what we need is MORE highly-drafted O-linemen, rich. :rolleyes:

However when that truly special RB comes along then you gotta pull the trigger and get him. Peterson is clearly that type of RB.

I'm torn on the entire matter, but these following guys were also deemed special.

Blair Thomas, RB, Penn State (2nd overall, Jets, 1990)

Ki-Jana Carter, RB, Penn State (1st overall, Bengals, 1995)

Lawrence Phillips, RB, Nebraska (6th overall, Rams, 1996)

And that just scratches the surface, really. Salaam, Enis.............

This excellent Sporting News article, though from 2001, is a very good read on the matter.

College running backs have become increasingly difficult to evaluate, project and develop. Hence, drafting one in the first round has become as risky as putting all your eggs in the technology stock basket. Since 1995, 21 running backs have been taken in the first round. Thirteen of those (or 62 percent) have been certifiable busts or have failed to live up to expectations.

There are three basic problems with drafting running backs high: Their college production is not always an accurate indicator of their pro capabilities; durability is difficult to predict, and NFL teams tend to give up quickly on running backs in the course of games, seasons and careers.

It's hard to understand, for instance, how Rashaan Salaam could rush for more yards in one season at Colorado than he did in his NFL .career or why Ron Dayne went from a 6.0-yard average per carry last season at Wisconsin to a 3.4 this year with the Giants.

Guest Ghoolie
And runs behind a line loaded with high paid, high drafted OL men. A team that had a 1,200 yard back in Taylor behind that same line.

AP is a great talent, but give him no holes to run through, and he does nothing. He ain't Barry Sanders.

The Vikings line isn't that good. Theiy couldn't keep their QB from getting roughed up.

Running backs make the OL, not the other way around.

This issue is NOT that an OL is not important, the issue is, successful teams usually use 8 - 12 OL in the course of a year. The point is, competent OL are pretty easy to find. Spending what we did on JT was shit-headed. AP would have delivered much more results than fatass.

Guest Masters
The Vikings line isn't that good. Theiy couldn't keep their QB from getting roughed up.

Running backs make the OL, not the other way around.

This issue is NOT that an OL is not important, the issue is, successful teams usually use 8 - 12 OL in the course of a year. The point is, competent OL are pretty easy to find. Spending what we did on JT was shit-headed. AP would have delivered much more results than fatass.

Isn't that running game supposed to allow him time? The fear of the run? Of course when you look past AP's 40 yard run, he pretty much got shut down big time by Philly (19 carries 43 yards).

The Vikings line is actually very good. That's why they were already running up the rushing yards before drafting AP.

I wouldn't even call Tavaris Jackson a QB. But he was hardly roughed up. Unless your definition of roughed up is being sacked ONE time.

Dude, teams don't even keep 8 OL on their roster. Teams only go through that many if they are decimated by injury. Good OL guys are not that easy to find. If they were, why would teams (including 11 of the 12 playoff teams) use first round draft picks on them?

Spending what CLE did on Thomas is a smart move, just like when BALT draft Ogden and STL with Pace. You took a guy who is gonna be a staple of your line for the next 12 years (and likely going to the pro bowl for all of those years). Sure CLE would have had AP. But is a .500 record and looking like ass in the playoffs your idea of delivering results?

Archived