THE BROWNS BOARD

For All You Hillis Lovers

tampadawgs

fter a shocking break-out campaign last season, Cleveland Browns running back Peyton Hillis has been an incredibly controversial figure in 2011. Rumors are now swirling, out of the blue, that Hillis is going to be getting married today in Arkansas.

This comes on the heels of other curious events such as Hillis surprisingly beating Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick to become the cover boy of Madden 12 and strep throat keeping him out of a game against the Miami Dolphins in Week 3.

Hillis, who is currently dealing with a hamstring ailment that caused him to miss Sunday's game, is engaged to be married to a woman who is reportedly named Amanda whom he impregnated. This information came to light just a couple weeks ago, and now he is apparently getting hitched.

Getting married is obviously Hillis' prerogative, but to do it during a work week when he should be working to get back on the football field is a bit irresponsible. Hillis seems to be angling for a new contract from the Browns, but if he continues with his shenanigans, then why should they give it to him?

The consensus seems to be that Hillis could have played with strep throat a few weeks back, but he was advised by his agent to sit out. This raised a red flag with regards to his commitment to the Browns, and this most recent stunt isn't likely to make him look good either.

While backup Montario Hardesty didn't exactly set the world on fire on Sunday, the Browns didn't hesitate to hand him the ball 33 times against the Seattle Seahawks. Since the Browns obviously trust Hardesty, you have to wonder if they might be willing to let Hillis walk.

Hillis may want a new contract, but I'm starting to believe that he wants it from a team other than the Browns. A player who wants to remain with his current club typically plays hard and does everything in his power to help his team, but you have to wonder if Hillis has done that this season.

It really is in bad taste for Hillis to treat the Browns this way too since they were the ones who gave him the chance to be their workhorse despite a stigma against white running backs in the NFL. Without the Browns, Hillis may have continued on in his career as little more than an anonymous full back.

The Browns made him a household name of sorts and are now paying for it because of Hillis' prima-donna attitude. I'm not going to speculate on Hillis' motives for marrying this mystery woman, but I will say that the timing is nothing short of awful.

Football players have a fairly lengthy offseason, and with the Browns unlikely to makes the playoffs, Hillis will have plenty of time to get married once the season ends. This seems like a calculated attempt to stick it to the Browns on his part, though, and if that is the case, then the Browns ought to let him walk.

Hillis will likely catch on somewhere for a fair amount of money, but the Browns shouldn't be the ones to finance his offseason honeymoon, unless of course he decides to go to the Bahamas with his new bride this week rather than give it a go against the San Francisco 49ers.

It's surprising that somoeone that once said that they loved the Browns colors and wants to be a Brown for life is now sitting out of games on advice from his agent and (I'm assuming) missing practice to get married. If he should miss this weekends game against SF then I give up all hope on him and hope the Browns don't renew his contract. For someone who is so blue-collar and a workhorse, Hillis is starting to act like some snobby socialite.

Dump Hillis and draft Trent Richardson from Alabama.

I was on the verge of getting a Peyton Hillis jersey. Good thing I didn't.

So the fact that team doctor also advised him to not play with the strep has nothing to do with him playing either. This is just media bullshit stirred up to make a story and the sad thing is that it works on all you putz. For every person on here who says you shouldn't always believe the media, when it comes to a sports beat writer you take everything they say to heart. The guy loves a woman and wants to get married. Who cares if she is already pregnant, in case you guys didn't know he already has a 4 year old daughter. This whole shit storm was started by the media to create a story and you have all eaten it up to the point where you think every thing that is happening, Hillis is doing on purpose to stick it to the team. xxxxing stupidest thing I have ever heard.

I will be honest, I hadn't heard that the team Doc advised him not to play. Though I am a big family man I must say that I am still a bit iffy about him missing practice (if he does indeed miss practice, if not then I have no qualms) to get married. I hope him all the happiness but on a team where he wants to prove himself worthy of a contract and needs to put in the time to gel with the team and the new offense, he isn't doing anything to help his cause. Who knows, maybe getting married will rejuvenate his season.

The fact that we had the nerve to set his wedding date during the season, just shows what type of team player he is....

Hillis was good last, but I have never heard of any player getting married during the season, maybe during the bye week...

hes on his third agent already, set up wedding date during the week we are playing the niners. Really even the Hillis lovers have to ask WTF??

I thought Hillis was all about God and loving Jesus. That's a bit confusing since he had premarital sex. Isn't that a big no-no?

Actually, no. The Old Testament was all about people getting it on outside the bounds of matrimony.

Why do you think Uriah ended up in a heep?

Family comes before football. No matter what.

I honestly thought this was satire the first time I read it. It's not like he scheduled the wedding on gameday.

In fact, for most teams, full pad practice doesn't begin until Wednesday. Monday is usually an off day with Tuesday being film and walkthroughs.

Tuesday is their off day, no reason he can't fly down mon night and back up tue night to get married. Immaterial. Just get the hammy healthy that all I care about.

Impregnated? What is this from, a gossip column?

Just feed him the ball.

Please.

Z

Exactly, how many practices to teams have a week now with the new CBA, 4ish with only 2 being full pads? Let the dude get married without turning it into some conspiracy! Plenty of players get married during the season, the reason you don't hear about it is because it's a none story, just like this one should be, but because everyone needs to question Hillis' devotion to this team because of one serious bout of strep and one pulled hammy this has to be a huge story too. This shit is old. I don't expect Hillis to be back next season because of stupid shit like this and if I were him I'd back up and leave too after have fans turn a 180 on me for no reason other than being too sick to play.

I thought this article was satire.

Lighten up people.

Well it's not. Reports are him and his family as well have inflated egos and expect top of the line money. He hasn't proved himself nearly worth that and if i were running this team I would cut him instantly if he missed practice to get married. That's an absolute joke and he's playing games with the team. He's changing his selfless, hard-working image into a joke and is embarrassing and impeding this team. GET RID OF HIM!

Of course I bought his jersey last year so this year he becomes as irrelevant as the guy we traded for him.

I'm too smart for that. Bought the other jersey of the player who seems to want to play the rest of his career in Cleveland. JOE HADEN! plus not as many people have it and i wasn't a huge hillis fan anyways. All about the D!

Well it's not. Reports are him and his family as well have inflated egos and expect top of the line money. He hasn't proved himself nearly worth that and if i were running this team I would cut him instantly if he missed practice to get married. That's an absolute joke and he's playing games with the team. He's changing his selfless, hard-working image into a joke and is embarrassing and impeding this team. GET RID OF HIM!

hi new guy. a very thoughtful and thought provoking post right there.

ie, no one cares what you would do if you were GM.

you guys can rip hillis for his injury or his marriage or his contract dispute but nobody should say the guy cant play. he had one good year for the browns but it was a year that made the league take notice. he also had a pretty good year for the broncos a few seasons back when there starter went down.

hes fully capable of handling the load but he doesnt wanna play in cleveland anymore and justifiably so. they change coaches and schemes every 2 years...he earned a new contract and he'll get it with someone else. cleveland is a dead end for football players and he realized it in his prime

hes the best player and he got hurt. then he got sick

is that really so impossible? its just typical browns fans

you guys love the players before they play, then you guys destroy them when theres any shred of evidence they might be unhappy with their situation in cleveland. he wont be back and you guys can thank yourselves for that.

you'll probly be better next year with a rookie QB and no hillis....NOT

You haven't seen me post much on this subject as I refuse to argue with idiotic comments, but the bad mouthing of Hillis by some of these folks is unbelievable. Clearly, he is by far our best back when healthy. We Fans need to let this young man know we WANT & NEED him here. There is an old saying that "A friend in need is a friend indeed". This young man seems to be down right now & needs our support, NOT our criticizing his every move & statement! You can bet he knows of all the ongoing negative crap!

While contract discussions/negotiations can frequently get heated, I trust Holmgren & Co to be fair. I would like to think that Hillis' decision whether or not to remain a Brown will not be influenced by a perception that the Fans have turned against him. We have a real playmaker in Hillis & I, for one, hope he DOES choose to stay here.

Mike

actually who gives a flying FXXK?? as jimmy johnson once said: you can pick up a guy at the local circle k who can start at RB and last as long as 80% of these guys.

anyone who says you can't play because of strept throat is a flaming fag. even kerry collins played with something BROKEN.

You haven't seen me post much on this subject as I refuse to argue with idiotic comments, but the bad mouthing of Hillis by some of these folks is unbelievable. Clearly, he is by far our best back when healthy. We Fans need to let this young man know we WANT & NEED him here. There is an old saying that "A friend in need is a friend indeed". This young man seems to be down right now & needs our support, NOT our criticizing his every move & statement! You can bet he knows of all the ongoing negative crap!

While contract discussions/negotiations can frequently get heated, I trust Holmgren & Co to be fair. I would like to think that Hillis' decision whether or not to remain a Brown will not be influenced by a perception that the Fans have turned against him. We have a real playmaker in Hillis & I, for one, hope he DOES choose to stay here.

Mike

It's refreshing to see that not everyone buys into the media hype..

Archived