THE BROWNS BOARD

The Browns GM/Coach Search - from a Patsfan's perspective

JoeSixPat

I think I speak for most Patriots fans - and probably most football fans - when I say that I hope things turn around in Cleveland. Such a storied organization like the Browns and its dedicated and "football smart" fans deserve to have a strong organization.

Sadly, what I'm watching with Lerner and his infatuation with Mangini right now makes me worry.

A few thoughts of mine:

The key to success is excellence in the front office and on the field (and yes, that might mean clearing house). That means a GM and Coach need to be on completely the same page - and while they don't always 100% agree, they have the same goals and types of players and overall scheme in mind, and serve as a check and balance to make sure goals are met.

That's what works for Pioli and Belichick - and frankly, I don't think Pioli feels like he's undervalued in NE - he's a key part of Belichick's success (and we hope his presumably internal successor will continue that good work with Belichick if he decides to move on).

With a coach the caliber of Belichick, who could conceivably serve as a defacto GM if he had the time (which no coach does) it makes sense to hire a coach first. There's a few other coaches out there that fall into that category - but Mangini is NOT one of them.

Having Lerner even entertain the notion of hiring a coach like Mangini before deciding on a GM should be a BIG red flag to everyone in Cleveland. Mangini might not be the worst coach out there - but his sub- .479 total record in three years can't be solely blamed on Brett Favre either. I'd say that record accurately portrays what you'd be getting in Mangnini.

Even this season, as much as people want to blame 9-7 season (really, what should have been an 8-8 season if Dick Jauron had't given the Jets a win with a bonehead move) on a mediocre former HoF QB, look around the league and you'll see that there are plenty of successful teams who did far more with far less than the Jets had. And keep in mind that the Jets gave Mangini more than just a new QB - they gave him $140 million worth of off-season free agents. And for that they get an 8-8 record.

Also be wary of Mangini's player relations. He abdicated too much control during his tenure in New York and its questionable whether he can change his ways or redefine himself. As much as some Jets players might be singing his praises today, part of that is the fact that they knew they could manipulate Mangini. There were more than a few players in NY who were able to force him to trade them or force him into giving a contract extension.

In short, Mangini let the inmates run the asylum - and I'm sure there's plently of folks in the Browns front office pulling for him for exactly that reason, wanting to hold onto their jobs.

What you should want is a Coach and GM who can build enough of a commitment to quality and excellence in the locker room and the front office to inspire a winning attitude. With such an environment an organization can have an All-Pro Injured Reserve team and still have the quality backups (thanks to a good GM) continue the winning ways (like the 11-5 Patriots for example)

So here's hoping Lerner makes the right choice for the fans in Cleveland - but this infatuation Mangnini makes me worry for you guys.

Good luck on a good, if not great 2009 season.

I think I speak for most Patriots fans - and probably most football fans - when I say that I hope things turn around in Cleveland. Such a storied organization like the Browns and its dedicated and "football smart" fans deserve to have a strong organization.

Sadly, what I'm watching with Lerner and his infatuation with Mangini right now makes me worry.

A few thoughts of mine:

The key to success is excellence in the front office and on the field (and yes, that might mean clearing house). That means a GM and Coach need to be on completely the same page - and while they don't always 100% agree, they have the same goals and types of players and overall scheme in mind, and serve as a check and balance to make sure goals are met.

That's what works for Pioli and Belichick - and frankly, I don't think Pioli feels like he's undervalued in NE - he's a key part of Belichick's success (and we hope his presumably internal successor will continue that good work with Belichick if he decides to move on).

With a coach the caliber of Belichick, who could conceivably serve as a defacto GM if he had the time (which no coach does) it makes sense to hire a coach first. There's a few other coaches out there that fall into that category - but Mangini is NOT one of them.

Having Lerner even entertain the notion of hiring a coach like Mangini before deciding on a GM should be a BIG red flag to everyone in Cleveland. Mangini might not be the worst coach out there - but his sub- .479 total record in three years can't be solely blamed on Brett Favre either. I'd say that record accurately portrays what you'd be getting in Mangnini.

Even this season, as much as people want to blame 9-7 season (really, what should have been an 8-8 season if Dick Jauron had't given the Jets a win with a bonehead move) on a mediocre former HoF QB, look around the league and you'll see that there are plenty of successful teams who did far more with far less than the Jets had. And keep in mind that the Jets gave Mangini more than just a new QB - they gave him $140 million worth of off-season free agents. And for that they get an 8-8 record.

Also be wary of Mangini's player relations. He abdicated too much control during his tenure in New York and its questionable whether he can change his ways or redefine himself. As much as some Jets players might be singing his praises today, part of that is the fact that they knew they could manipulate Mangini. There were more than a few players in NY who were able to force him to trade them or force him into giving a contract extension.

In short, Mangini let the inmates run the asylum - and I'm sure there's plently of folks in the Browns front office pulling for him for exactly that reason, wanting to hold onto their jobs.

What you should want is a Coach and GM who can build enough of a commitment to quality and excellence in the locker room and the front office to inspire a winning attitude. With such an environment an organization can have an All-Pro Injured Reserve team and still have the quality backups (thanks to a good GM) continue the winning ways (like the 11-5 Patriots for example)

So here's hoping Lerner makes the right choice for the fans in Cleveland - but this infatuation Mangnini makes me worry for you guys.

Good luck on a good, if not great 2009 season.

No, you can't blame everything on Brett Favre, but I think the 4-12 season in '07 had a little to do with his Qb's going a combined 15 TD's - 19 INT's and his starting running back having only 1 TD..

Don't tell me it's so bad in Cleveland that you guys are already rationalizing why it'd be good to hire Mangini.

I'd have thought it would be a complete fan revolt - but I do understand that there's the Kool Aid factor - and that if Lerner pulls the trigger you're going to HAVE to convince yourselves its a good move.

But beyond that, are there really some fans who actually think that would be a smart move?

Don't tell me it's so bad in Cleveland that you guys are already rationalizing why it'd be good to hire Mangini.

I'd have thought it would be a complete fan revolt - but I do understand that there's the Kool Aid factor - and that if Lerner pulls the trigger you're going to HAVE to convince yourselves its a good move.

But beyond that, are there really some fans who actually think that would be a smart move?

NO NO NO It would not be a smart move to hire Mangini.......This will be as big a mistake as Romeo Crennel was

I'm pretty sure no one cares what you think.

I'm pretty sure no one cares what you think.

I think you're right. Forget everything I said.

Mods - please delete this thread. Lerner nor Cleveland fans need any additional perspective. You're right - Mangini is the perfect choice for this organization and Cleveland will get exactly the type of team they deserve.

Guest ATENEARS

Wow, you guys are assholes. That was a great post from that Pat's fan. Thanks JoesixPat, thanks for taking the time.

I guess one could apply the ole "that's what we thought when you guys hired Belichick" cry ... but that's what those who drank the kool-aid here in Cleveland might have thought, but many of us could see what Belichick was building and it eventually lead to the Ravens taking home the Lombardy. Can you say the same for the Jet's? What has Mangini built up there?

Belichick was side-swiped at the end here by the announcement of the move, but he assembled a pretty damn good football team before the carpet was pulled out from under him. He made the difficult roster moves that we cry for someone to come in and do today. He stock piled the draft picks that landed the Ravens Ray Lewis & Jonathan Ogden.

WTF has Mangini done?

I appreciate this Pat's fans perspective on how Belichick and Pioli worked together ... much better insight than one of our bias opinions.

I happen to like these opposing fans (Jets & Pats) views on this subject, if you don't have anything constructive to counter than don't reply.

Guest Ghoolie
Yeah, we thought the same thing when you guys hired Belichick.

Zombo

Who is this "WE"

I predicted Bill Belichik would be a SB winning head coach BEFORE the Browns ever went to the playoffs.

As far as being "football smart", I don't necessarily disagree, HOWEVER, the bulk of you on this board are indeed so blinded by emotion more often than not you can't see the forrest for the trees.

As much as you think I am automatically negative I find you guys to be sheep. It doesn't matter what the browns do, you guys think shit is gold. Seriously, think about how long you chnted In Sewage We Trust, and supported shit like dilfer, Frye and William Green.

Many here still think the Browns are a better franchise than the Bengals, or that Crennell is the secret to Belichik's HOF success.

Ridiculous fans, thats what Browns fans have become.

As far as Mangini goes, I'll take him over Ferentz, but would rather have Shanahan.

Wow, you guys are assholes. That was a great post from that Pat's fan. Thanks JoesixPat, thanks for taking the time.

I guess one could apply the ole "that's what we thought when you guys hired Belichick" cry ... but that's what those who drank the kool-aid here in Cleveland might have thought, but many of us could see what Belichick was building and it eventually lead to the Ravens taking home the Lombardy. Can you say the same for the Jet's? What has Mangini built up there?

Belichick was side-swiped at the end here by the announcement of the move, but he assembled a pretty damn good football team before the carpet was pulled out from under him. He made the difficult roster moves that we cry for someone to come in and do today. He stock piled the draft picks that landed the Ravens Ray Lewis & Jonathan Ogden.

WTF has Mangini done?

I appreciate this Pat's fans perspective on hos Belichick and pioli worked together ... much better insight than one of our bias opinions.

I happen to like these opposing fans (Jets & Pats) views on this subject, if you don't have anything constructive to counter than don't reply.

I'd take a long look in the mirror at who the asshole is..

Guest ATENEARS
I'd take a long look in the mirror at who the asshole is..

Thanks asshole, I did just that and came to the conclusion that I would much rather be entertained by a Pats fans perspective on the subject of Mangini & Pioli than your pussy take that nobody cares for their opinion.

If you don't care for their opinion or are just going to put up some weak-ass shit about Farve than don't post because your replies here in this thread are among the dumbest.

I'm kind of with Stan on this - you guys sometimes have a habit of not giving other fans a fair chance to give you some outside perspective on things. The guy simply was giving some insight on a coach he has experience with in NE, and yes it was only an opinion, but clearly he didn't need to be briushed aside like that.

We're all frustrated in Cleveland and I for one do not want Mangini. Doesn't make me correct, but it doesn't mean the guy from Boston doesn't mean well by coming here.

Some of you become completely unspooled at the thought of anyone coming here to talk football. They're not all idiots, IMO.

WTF has Mangini done?

I appreciate this Pat's fans perspective on how Belichick and Pioli worked together ... much better insight than one of our bias opinions.

Yes let's listen to a fan of a team Mangini never was the head coach for, played reasonably well against the last 3 years and called them out for cheating and cost them a first round pick and put their 3 super bowls into question. Get serious.

Thanks asshole, I did just that and came to the conclusion that I would much rather be entertained by a Pats fans perspective on the subject of Mangini & Pioli than your pussy take that nobody cares for their opinion.

If you don't care for their opinion or are just going to put up some weak-ass shit about Farve than don't post because your replies here in this thread are among the dumbest.

Yikes. Why would a Patriots fan not like Mangini? I just don't get why...oh maybe because I haven't lived in a cave the last 3 years. Why would Patriot fans not like the man who said their God of a head coach cheated his way to 3 super bowls? Oh well.

I'm kind of with Stan on this - you guys sometimes have a habit of not giving other fans a fair chance to give you some outside perspective on things. The guy simply was giving some insight on a coach he has experience with in NE, and yes it was only an opinion, but clearly he didn't need to be briushed aside like that.

We're all frustrated in Cleveland and I for one do not want Mangini. Doesn't make me correct, but it doesn't mean the guy from Boston doesn't mean well by coming here.

Some of you become completely unspooled at the thought of anyone coming here to talk football. They're not all idiots, IMO.

Not all idiots but definitely biased.

Yes let's listen to a fan of a team Mangini never was the head coach for, played reasonably well against the last 3 years and called them out for cheating and cost them a first round pick and put their 3 super bowls into question. Get serious.

T, am I supposed to listen to a group of fans that have had 3 head coaches in 9 years going on a 4th, hiring their 3rd GM in ten seasons, cannot beat the Steelers, have had 10-11 starting QB's, no playoff victories and two winning seasons? I am pretty sure we could use some outside perspective once in a while - we're developing Stockholm Syndrome, IMO.

I will gladly start listening to anyone outside the Browns community for a while.

Guest ATENEARS
Yikes. Why would a Patriots fan not like Mangini? I just don't get why...oh maybe because I haven't lived in a cave the last 3 years. Why would Patriot fans not like the man who said their God of a head coach cheated his way to 3 super bowls? Oh well.

My Bad, you are so right ... let's sink everything we have into a coach who is most famous for squealing and signing Farve out of retirement.

Bring on those opposing fans who aren't bias toward Mangini, to tell us all about all those accomplishments he's never had.

List Mangini's highlights below:

#101.) He squealed on the Pats.

#102.) He Saved Farve from retirement.

T, am I supposed to listen to a group of fans that have had 3 head coaches in 9 years going on a 4th, hiring their 3rd GM in ten seasons, cannot beat the Steelers, have had 10-11 starting QB's, no playoff victories and two winning seasons? I am pretty sure we could use some outside perspective once in a while - we're developing Stockholm Syndrome, IMO.

I will gladly start listening to anyone outside the Browns community for a while.

That's more than fair. I'll admit I overreacted. But I will stick to not listening to someone who hates the guy who might get hired here.

Personally, I'm tired of this copycat of NE BS. I'm for chopping down the belichick tree in Cleveland and bringing in McKay to administer this organizations football activities. Let's start our own tree. Heckert/Spagnoula.

Find out if Shanahan is interested in coaching.

Ask Ozzie if he is interested in running the organization

Can Bernie be an adviser, at least

Want to create an idenity, start your own tree.

Its well known that it wasn't Mangini who dragged Farve to the jets, it was Tanenbaum and Johnson, lets not twist the truth here...but he should have benched him at some point down the stretch. I think Mangini is a good coach, the only thing that worries me a little is his lack of emotion, i think he'll do better with a team thats built through the draft than a team of imported vets...he could be good for us...

Guest ATENEARS
Personally, I'm tired of this copycat of NE BS. I'm for chopping down the belichick tree in Cleveland and bringing in McKay to administer this organizations football activities. Let's start our own tree. Heckert/Spagnoula.

Find out if Shanahan is interested in coaching.

Ask Ozzie if he is interested in running the organization

Can Bernie be an adviser, at least

Want to create an idenity, start your own tree.

I agree to some degree, but I also think we've tried that from Chris Palmer to Butch Davis. Being that the Browns have NEVER hired a proven NFL coach, I'm more in favor of bringing in Shanahan, Cowher, Parcells, even Schottenheimer.

Those guys aren't going to be clueless and stand on the sideline with a blank stare as if they've never been in that situation before.

Let's buy the entire tree, roots and all.

Guest ATENEARS
Its well known that it wasn't Mangini who dragged Farve to the jets, it was Tanenbaum and Johnson, lets not twist the truth here...

My bad ... Can everyone scratch reason #102 of Mangini's accomplishments off their list.

Thanks.

I most certainly like input from other great fans of other teams sometimes we browns fans forget that many nfl fans from many teams threatened to boycott the nfl when cleveland was fighting to keep the browns namesake and history...

I think this patsfan prospective is one worth looking at but i cant help but to think lerner may be trying to get pioli to decide faster by suddenly looking at mangini lerner cant afford to be wrong this time or he will most certainly feel the power of united browns fans...randy is a scrub owner but i think he has more potential as an owner than his father had how much better..who knows?

I agree to some degree, but I also think we've tried that from Chris Palmer to Butch Davis. Being that the Browns have NEVER hired a proven NFL coach, I'm more in favor of bringing in Shanahan, Cowher, Parcells, even Schottenheimer.

Those guys aren't going to be clueless and stand on the sideline with a blank stare as if they've never been in that situation before.

Let's buy the entire tree, roots and all.

I could go in that direction. That's why I say McKay as a VP in charge of football operations is a good move. Lot's of experience and very well respected within NFL circles. Let him mentor a GM and together they could hire the HC. Let the HC have some say and be responsible for his decisions. Who knows, maybe McKay would bring in someone like McDaniel, Spagnola or Schwartz.

Nobody in Cleveland liked Belicheck.

Are you referring to the media? the public? the organization?

I always liked Belichick and took a fair amount of heat on the message boards because of it.

I don't particularly care if a coach is surly with the media. Heck, listening to Cleveland talk radio should convince anyone that surly is a way of life there.

A curmudgeon, albeit a young one in Belichick's case, at least has some fire.

Nobody in Cleveland liked Belicheck.

That statement is about as ignorant as Mo Carthon's statement that Cleveland's fans and media chased Belichick out of town. The fans didn't chase him out...the media didn't chase him out. Arthur B. Modell struck a deal (on Al Lerner's private jet) to move the team to Baltimore while Belichick was still the coach.

His original surname is Biličić (pronounced BEE-lee-cheech) and he is a fellow Croatian American. His paternal grandparents emigrated from Karlovac, Croatia (from the village of Draganić) in 1897. I'm sure the vast majority of the 30,000+ Croatian Americans living in Cleveland liked him plenty.

I liked him as a coach, too, despite my disagreement regarding that whole Kosar/Testiclerde deal.

-Al

Archived