THE BROWNS BOARD

Too Early in the Day to Get Agitated

Chicopee John

Lerner has to close the Pioli deal. Sooner is better than later - yesterday would have been great.

My view is not solely based on the immediate future of the team but, I fear, has long term consequences if Pioli doesn't accept the Browns' offer.

IMHO, severe damage will be done to the credibility (assuming there is much of that right now) and would put the Browns right into the same sentences as the Cardinals (going to the second round of the playoffs) and, agast, THE DETROIT LIONS.

Maybe the football sky is falling this time.

Get Pioli on board, Lerner. Let him choose his coach. Stop meddling. I am not a Ferentz fan but you gotta let the big chef select the meat and vegetables of the team.

THIS IS A BIG DEAL!!!!

I guess it shows the different schools of thought.

I tend to think the coach is the most important hire and don't really care if Pioli is hired or not.

The more I look at Pioli, he has a history of this cat and mouse stuff with teams the last few years. I am beginning to think he isn't very confident in his abilities and is afraid to leave from under Belichecks wing, or he is simply loyal to the guy and doesn't want to leave.

I tend to think the coach is the most important hire and don't really care if Pioli is hired or not.

The more I look at Pioli, he has a history of this cat and mouse stuff with teams the last few years. I am beginning to think he isn't very confident in his abilities and is afraid to leave from under Belichecks wing, or he is simply loyal to the guy and doesn't want to leave.

Fair points, Peen. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

all Good thing will come in time.

If Pioli is still upset over spygate and is vindictive over it we dont want him.

He should have a much better attitude and we should expect th best from a GM.

We dont need any more babies like we had with Savage.

the thing i keep hearing about Pioli is that he wants an obseen amount of power!!!!

If you think this is a good idea... just take a look at how Savagina did with all that power!

A coach needs to coach.... a GM needs to hadle the front office shit... But you cant have one trying to take power away from the other.

Thats what killed the rac and savage duet...

BTW xxxx Ferrentz!

Get a proven HC...

And get him FIRST... then establish strict guidlines of power!

Do this shit right!

Guest 88fingerslewy
Let him choose his coach. Stop meddling.
You're just relocating the "meddling." If the GM calls the shots then what's changed. Would you want a Savage repeat, only this time having a "better" Savage this time.

This Pioli thing has taken on a life of its own and don't think he's now keeping up on the news. He's probably reading how wonderful and important he is. His ego's being pumped up as each day passes.

Piloi or any GM isn't the answer. We need a HC who will take talented, athletic football players and make them play at the level they're being paid for. Somebody (the next head coach) needs to get the D to grow some fangs and return to fundamentals (too many games we saw them wiffing with arm tackles). GM's don't remedy that, coaches do. The sports reporters are making a bigger story than it should be, hopefully Lerner has some advisors close to him that aren't buying into this hype.

Guest ATENEARS

I don't know who I want here, but I'm starting to get that feeling that Lerner is getting off track. Either ink the biggest, brightest namjes today or sit on it for a couple of weeks and wait out Shanahan and others.

No use feeling like you have to rush to sign someone else's discard or an unproven college coach.

I guess I'm in favor of sitting back and waiting some things out. Come out and make a statement that you are going to wait to interview Shanahan and won't make a decision until after the Super Bowl ... you just might find that a few other big fish may have the same type of time table.

Guest Ghoolie

Now THIS is a good, intelligent football post. The Head Coach IS God, Lord and Master of the football team. He knows the players, he knows the strengths, weaknesses and needs of his plans.

The only thing a President and GM have to do is sit, squat and piss when the Head Coach tells them to. It takes a special kind of owner, a TRULY CONFIDENT MAN to choose a coach and then get the xxxx out of his way. Craft is such a man, Lerner is not.

If anyone tinks that men like Lombardi, Paul Brown, Hallas, Noll, Shula and Landry took heir guidence from some dickhead in a suit, then truly they know nothing about human nature and about business.

Great leaders don't get involved in power struggles, they don't make the headlines talking about it. With men like belichik from the very immediate beginning it is their way or the highway. Cowher work for a control freak like Lerner? Give me a break.

Lerner has not apparently learned form his mistakes. He is oblivious to what it takes to be a winner. His lack of confidence in his ability to choose great men is what causes im to micromanage.

This franchise is a joke, it really is.

Is there any chance of Art Modell coming back? He surely never gave us this kind of bullshit, and at least he loved the Browns.

If anyone tinks that men like Lombardi, Paul Brown, Hallas, Noll, Shula and Landry took heir guidence from some dickhead in a suit, then truly they know nothing about human nature and about business.

Didn't they wear suits, too.

J/K I agree with what you're saying too.

The first thing that needs to happen is to remove Lerner from this decision,

what the hell does he know about Northeast Ohio football?Idon't think he even knows who Paul Brown was,

find somebody who bleeds orange&brown,who loves this city and gets the fact that we bust our ass every week so we can afford to watch the team bust theirs ,who understands a rivalry(and if you think spygate constitutes a rivalry your clueless)& who feels the pain of losing to those teams on the Ohio.

I don't care if it's Bernie,Sam,Hanford,hell I'd rather have Brian Asshole pick our next head coach and GM instead of Lerner at least Iknow he hates Pissburgh as much as we do.

Same here maybe randy is starting to see it that way too.

Pioli is likely playing the cat and mouse game and the truth is the coach is more important as long as he has accountability for his choices and discisions...

You dont replace a coaches personnel with your own you replace the bad coach instead..

I agree with this. The coach needs to pick the players are run the show. GM's are for keeping the salary cap in check and negotiating the cheapest salary possible for the team.

Lerner is going to f&ck it up again, he's gonna hire a coach with no power and give the keys to the world to a pencil neck GM. There won't be clearly defined lines of responsibility and accountability.

Just hire Parcells as head coach and get some pencil neck to do the math on the salaries. Thats it.

I hate to say this but both you and my pal Ghoolie and Ballpeen are full of crap.......first off the GM if he has personnel decision making control is the key guy......if he doesn't then he is not really a GM..........Bill Polian is the classic example as is John Scheuholz in baseball.........these two guys built winners everywhere they went. As far as Shula and Noll and Paul Brown and Halas and Cowher and Belichick..............they were more than coaches all of them THEY ALL HAD COMPLETE CONTROL OF ALL PERSONNEL DECISIONS

The guy who decides who the players are and what they get paid is the most important part of any sports team.......................including dime a dozen OL guys :rolleyes:

Archived