THE BROWNS BOARD

Who's the Backup QB?

dencyguy

Okay, let's assume for a moment that DA is gone in the offseason, although that's not written in stone just yet. Presumably Ken Dorsey has shown that he has no business being on an NFL roster, and Bruce Gradkowski (or whatever his name is) showed why he was a street free agent.

So what does the team do for a #2 QB? I can't think of any particularly appealing veteran free agents out there. Does the team dare taking a QB later in with the idea of developing him into a backup?

If so, might I offer a suggestion that might seem, well, foolish, but hear me out on this one: Pat White. All the kid does is win, and he's versatile enough that if Quinn stays upright, you can still work him into the game plan like Seneca Wallace. But wait, he's not a prototypical NFL passer. Even assuming that he would be unable to learn how to be a pocket passer, it occurs to me that that's not as much of a liability as it first appears. When the backup comes in, there are two main reasons: either the starter has faltered, or he has gotten hurt. Bringing in a backup who can improvise would certainly help if you're looking for a spark off the bench. When a guy gets hurt--this is certainly the case in Cleveland--it's because the incompetent/overpaid OL has let the guy get his head knocked off. In that case, do you want to bring in a statue like DA, or a guy who can run out of pressure and make plays with his feet?

I will defer to WV on this one, as he's the guy who's watched White more than anyone else on the board. Am I crazy on this one?

Dennis

Dennis, I love Pat White too, but I suspect he's not going to play QB at the next level, though I'm interested in hearing WV's thoughts, too.

Kansas State's Josh Freeman intrigues me and projects as a 2nd-day developmental pick...

There will be some nice QBs available in the later rounds of the draft and there will be some veterans available a lot cheaper then Anderson.

The problem will be can Cleveland get anything for Anderson. They just may be stuck with him because of his play this year and teams know that Quinn is the Browns franchise QB so they will offer a second day pick.

I like White, I just think he would be better suited as a "flash" back/receiver with the ability to be the 3rd QB. And we already have Cribbs so....

Pat White hoping to end up in Pittsburgh. Just read a big article on it. His dad a HUGE Steeler Fan, said his dad would cheer FOR Pittsburgh if he were playing Against them ...lol...I know that aint the way it works. But it was humorous.

Wait for it...

This is a serious post okay people.. Im serious about this...

MICHAEL VICK

He gets out in Jun, and would make a gret addition to our roster, he could even play RB on trick plays and such

He's really not a bad guy, it was mostly his friends doing it. Plus, he hasnt done anything really bad in his past besides this.

If we get the Falcons guy instead of Pioli, this is even more likely.

Also think about all the Dawg Pound jokes!

He's an insane athlete and he can make an impact on any roster.

I read an article that he said he was sorry, he was taking responsibility for it, and that he now realizes how horrible his actions were and peta forgave him.

"

Michael Vick attended an eight-hour course called “Developing Empathy for Animals”, according to a PETA spokesman. The course included information on who animals are, alternatives to cruelty, animal protection philosophy, and humane lesson plans.

PETA said Vick was the only participant in the class held on September 18.

“He was asking questions, following up on points we were making, taking notes,†the PETA spokesman said. “He seemed to be putting an honest effort into trying to get something out of the course.â€

He also added that Vick told him “he wished he had gotten to take a course like this five years ago.â€

On PETA’s web site, the organization said Vick has apologized for his dog abuse. He first visited PETA and met with Ingrid Newkirk, PETA’s president, on September 7. She offered the course to Vick.

The PETA spokesman said they were surprised when Vick decided to take the course. They told him that they hoped that he would get something out of the course, and he should not be taking the class just as a public relations move.

Vick passed a written test at the end of the class.

PETA wants the NFL to require a similar course to all football players"

PETA wants a lot of things which will never, ever happen. I love animals almost as much as they do, but from a realistic standpoint I can only conclude they're insane. The commissioner of the NFL, the most profitable and economically healthy sport in the US, as well as the multi-millionaire/billionaire owners of the NFL teams, absolutely do NOT care about dogs' "well-being". They couldn't possibly care less what Vick cruelly did to a bunch of animals. All they worry about are the PR relations and ultimately ticket sales, and how the actions of their players affects their profits. If Vick continues to improve his image the way he's doing now, I have no doubt he'll be back in the NFL.

But I imagine he'll want to be a starter somewhere, and there are plenty of teams desperate for a quality game-changing QB out there to give Vick his wish. He would definitely refuse a role as a backup for a franchise QB.

First off, the Browns don't have picks in the 3rd, 5th, and 7th rounds. So we are NOT going to waste one of those picks on a backup QB when we already have Gradkowski under a 2 yr contract. If we decide he is NOT the backup, then we will likely go for one of the available FA guys.

Please, forget Mike Vick.

Arthur Blank stood side by side with Vick through the accusations and was told over and over by Vick that he (Vick) had no involvement with dog fights. Blank backed him up. He wanted it to be true too, because he needed his star quarterback, but Blank also has a lot of integrity and believed Vick. Blank was crushed and betrayed by the outcome. What owner, coach or player would believe him after that. Blank would've done all he could to help Vick's case, had Vick been honest with him.

There were rumors Vick MIGHT go back to Atlanta, since they hold his contract, but the rumors were quickly dropped. Blank wants nothing to do with the guy. He made his owner and team look like crap by standing by his 'I did nothing' BS.

Based on this, Vick would likely be an infection to any teams locker room. We sure don't need more locker room issues with the Browns.

... and for the record, if you were Vick, in jail, looking to get back in the money at your trade after you get out, would'nt you be trying like hell to convince everyone you were a changed man by doing things like attending and appearing genuinely interested in the PETA presentations ? Do you really believe Vick was 'moved' about pet cruelty after he raised, fought and killed dogs for money ? There ARE revelations, but this seems extreme.

Archived