THE BROWNS BOARD

Ferentz/Greene - So far, so good today

Guest mz.

Iowa looking good vs. Spurrier and the Cocks today in the Outback Bowl.

I'm only watching this shit game because this may be our future coach/RB...

I'm watching him run a 4-3 and realize that is all he has ever run. Also, I'm thinking what are his contacts in the NFL for coordinators?

Well the only way I want Ferentz is A. I want Shonn Greene comming with him B. we install a 4-3 Defense and start kickin ppls asses C. we run a west coast type run oriented ofense but we still need to be able to pass to win games...after 4 years of Krispy Kremes...Im up for anything...

Well the only way I want Ferentz is A. I want Shonn Greene comming with him B. we install a 4-3 Defense and start kickin ppls asses C. we run a west coast type run oriented ofense but we still need to be able to pass to win games...after 4 years of Krispy Kremes...Im up for anything...

Nickers, my good fellow Croatian-Italian-American friend. There's just something wrong with the phrase "west coast type run oriented offense."

Perhaps you could elaborate a little? A West Coast Offense is very pass oriented. Instead of 3 yards and a cloud of dust, it's 3 yards on a dink and dunk, with stellar athletes capable of turning those 3 yards into much, much more.

I think we've seen enough dink and dunk on 3rd and 9. Stallowrth is a fine open field WR. I think he'd fit nicely in a pure West Coast Offense. Bring in the Mooch! :rolleyes:

-Al

EDIT: Shonn Greene is looking good today. Solid, steady play. 31-0 Iowa at the moment. The floodgates are opening.

I'm wondering if Ferentz (and Pioli's rumored HUGE demands) is part of the sniggling going on between Lerner and Pioli. Lerner said he's "reluctant" to hire a college coach.

Don't overlook Bill Belichick's input to Pioli during this time.

Since his debacle in Cleveland, Belichick has made OWNERSHIP STABILITY AND LEADERSHIP huge components of the job selection process.

In short, he resigned the Jets' HC job after only one day due to his doubts and concerns about the Jets' ownership situation.

In turn, Belichick lobbied his, then, assistant to stay away from the Jets job for the same reasons.

Looking at the Browns vs. Chiefs, specifically, Lerner vs. Hunt, I wonder how much weight Pioli will put into OWNERSHIP STABILITY AND LEADERSHIP for these prospective employers.

I have one fear and that is Pioli considers the KC job to be better than the Browns' job because of the ownership stability over the years.

Just a thought. Any way, I found the article I posted from The Boston Globe (Boston.com) concerning and am not sure that the Browns have the upper hand in this sweepstakes.

For people taht say they don't want a coach-in-training, you have a proven HC who has run a program. This isn't a coordinator making a jump to running the whole organization. Most college coaches don't work because they bring in college coordinators with them and want control like they had in college.

If Pioli has total control of football operations then will it be like Savage naming the assistants and bringing in players that don't fit the system or will Pioli/ferentz be a team making the decisions together.

Bottom line, I want a coach that is firm with the players, is a leader, commands respect not demands it, has good organizational skills, is flexable and will listen to his coordinators. You know what Mangini brings to the table, everyone else is a crapshoot.

BTW...........................even if he dosn't come, I still want Greene in the 2nd round.

I spoke with Ferentz last week and he said in no way would he coach in Cleveland. (He is a South Hills of Pittsburgh native, I grew up with him.). He also wants to stay in Iowa City until his kids finish school, 2 more years to go. He did however say if Pioli landed in Kansas City he would consider taking that job as it is close enough to Iowa City that he could make it all work out.....

Perhaps you could elaborate a little? A West Coast Offense is very pass oriented. Instead of 3 yards and a cloud of dust, it's 3 yards on a dink and dunk, with stellar athletes capable of turning those 3 yards into much, much more.

Lots and lots of running plays in the WC offense. From different formations and sets, and multiple running plays (counters, iso's, leads, tosses, etc...) called during the games. The quick hits are basically extended handoffs, and then BAM, the big payoff deep off PA or Pump Fake.

And to think it started right here in Cleveland with Paul Brown.

Don't overlook Bill Belichick's input to Pioli during this time.

Since his debacle in Cleveland, Belichick has made OWNERSHIP STABILITY AND LEADERSHIP huge components of the job selection process.

In short, he resigned the Jets' HC job after only one day due to his doubts and concerns about the Jets' ownership situation.

In turn, Belichick lobbied his, then, assistant to stay away from the Jets job for the same reasons.

Looking at the Browns vs. Chiefs, specifically, Lerner vs. Hunt, I wonder how much weight Pioli will put into OWNERSHIP STABILITY AND LEADERSHIP for these prospective employers.

I have one fear and that is Pioli considers the KC job to be better than the Browns' job because of the ownership stability over the years.

Just a thought. Any way, I found the article I posted from The Boston Globe (Boston.com) concerning and am not sure that the Browns have the upper hand in this sweepstakes.

Good analysis John. For the record I am not in favor of Ferentz becoming the coach. Too erratic a record in college spells mediocre in the pros is likely..not enough success for me at Iowa to hire him.

I spoke with Ferentz last week and he said in no way would he coach in Cleveland. (He is a South Hills of Pittsburgh native, I grew up with him.).

You grew up with him? Did you have twin beds in the same room growing up, or did you just hang out at the South Hills mall and you each had one side of one of those matching heart necklaces?

Or maybe you just knew of him, and you've never really spoken, because guys like Ferentz don't hang out with guys that have an IQ of 12 and pretend they are friends with everybody famous...

Zombo

--But maybe you are right ... who would want to leave Iowa City?

Lots and lots of running plays in the WC offense. From different formations and sets, and multiple running plays (counters, iso's, leads, tosses, etc...) called during the games. The quick hits are basically extended handoffs, and then BAM, the big payoff deep off PA or Pump Fake.

And to think it started right here in Cleveland with Paul Brown.

Thanx DD

Archived