Sign in to follow this  
reese2147

Visiting Team Friendliness?

Good Morning Browns Fans!

My name is Charlie and I live in central Pennsylvania. I am a life-long Indians fan and have booked a stay in Cleveland in late September to watch their final weekend home-stand with the Twins. Ironically, this same weekend the Browns are hosting the Miami Dolphins, who are my favorite NFL team (again, life long fan).

My question is this (and I would appreciate honest answers)... is Cleveland a "friendly" town for fans of visiting football teams? A couple other away games my wife and I have traveled to (Pittsburgh, NYJ) the fans have been pretty horrible to us and we vowed never to go back. We're not stupid and expect some light-hearted comments directed toward us every now and then, but the Pittsburgh and Jets fans each went way too far each time we have been there. We have never been to Cleveland for a football game, so I sought out this message board and thought I would ask the fans themselves!

We love coming to Cleveland for baseball games and hope we can have the same experience for football games rooting for the visiting team.

Thank you for your input.... GO TRIBE!

--Charlie

Good Morning Browns Fans!

My name is Charlie and I live in central Pennsylvania. I am a life-long Indians fan and have booked a stay in Cleveland in late September to watch their final weekend home-stand with the Twins. Ironically, this same weekend the Browns are hosting the Miami Dolphins, who are my favorite NFL team (again, life long fan).

My question is this (and I would appreciate honest answers)... is Cleveland a "friendly" town for fans of visiting football teams? A couple other away games my wife and I have traveled to (Pittsburgh, NYJ) the fans have been pretty horrible to us and we vowed never to go back. We're not stupid and expect some light-hearted comments directed toward us every now and then, but the Pittsburgh and Jets fans each went way too far each time we have been there. We have never been to Cleveland for a football game, so I sought out this message board and thought I would ask the fans themselves!

We love coming to Cleveland for baseball games and hope we can have the same experience for football games rooting for the visiting team.

Thank you for your input.... GO TRIBE!

--Charlie

Yes and no.

It usually starts friendly. By games end, maybe not so.

My advice is wear a hat with your colors to the game and during the game. After the game, maybe take it off and put it in your wives purse.

Unless you are a total jackwad, little trouble starts before or in the stadium during the game. Most(if any) occurs after the game on the ramps or outdside the stadium. By then the hooligans are liquored up.

You age also plays a part

I can give you a pretty fair opinion on the matter. Last year my family and I went to the Browns v Panthers game. I am a huge browns fan of course with my dad, but my brother and mother are panthers fans as we live in Charlotte. Going into the stadium we had no issues, and during the game was a lot of fun. We had a lot of fun fans to be around and light hearted jokes were going around. The only incident during the game came when my bro and I went up to go to the bathroom. Three obviously drunk browns fans walked up to him and started barking, as we do. I immediately stepped in and said that's enough and surprisingly enough a few more random fans told them to stop too. After the game (it does matter we won), only one obviously drunk guy came up to my bro and yelled PANTHERS SUCK! His g/f or whoever it was grabbed him and apologized profusely and the guy continued to yell everywhere

Having going to games in Panthers stadium and a few others, I see that same type of behavior too. The bottom line as an opposing fans people get drunk and can't handle alcohol, and as a result act stupid towards you. However, stupid drunk fans are everywhere.

True. Alcohol is the common denominator in most incidents as can be expected and that happens everywhere. Unless your at a raiders game they are just dumb all the time. I don't share the beliefs of some who think that you are somehow asking for trouble by visiting a rivals stadium.

I don't see how anyone can afford to get drunk on the $8.00 a glass watered down beer they serve at the stadium. Though, I guess some people have more money than they have a right to.

And, you know, it could depend on which team you root for. Obviously, if you are a Steeler fan or a Raven fan you could be in more "jeopardy" than if you are a mere Dolphin fan.

Also, how the hell do you become a "lifelong" Indians fan and a "lifelong" Dolphin fan? That matchup does not compute, especially for someone from central PA.

Tailgate at 7 am or hit up 6th street getting xxxx up pre 1pm games i want to say as a community we're better than that but i can't speak for everyone i would say you're probably FINE for the dolphins game, but if you wore pittsburgh shit here we'll ride you out all game long.

Thanks for the input everyone, please keep it coming.

As to how I became a fan of those two teams..... My parents tell me that I became infatuated with each team's logos at a very young age (2-3). They continued to buy me t-shirts, balls, etc featuring each team's logo and I just stuck with the teams through growing up and my adult hood. It's an odd combination, but it sure beats being a Steelers fan :-)

I don't see how anyone can afford to get drunk on the $8.00 a glass watered down beer they serve at the stadium. Though, I guess some people have more money than they have a right to.

And, you know, it could depend on which team you root for. Obviously, if you are a Steeler fan or a Raven fan you could be in more "jeopardy" than if you are a mere Dolphin fan.

Also, how the hell do you become a "lifelong" Indians fan and a "lifelong" Dolphin fan? That matchup does not compute, especially for someone from central PA.

I feel like the people who get drunk are the people who are more ingenious with sneaking in their booze. You can get those stadium seat cushions with the beer bladder in them and only have to pay for the first cup of beer and just fill it back up throughout the game. What I do is I take a pair of old binoculars with me and I take the small lenses off each side and fill each side with vodka and then put the lenses back on. The guys at the front never realize that I walk into the stadium with a double flask strapped around my neck.