THE BROWNS BOARD

Rodgers And Tatupa

jnuh

There is some talk by @incarseratedbob on Twitter that we are interested in Carlos Rodgers and Lofa Tatupa. Anyone have any thoughts on them??

Both guys were drafted in 2005 so they are still in there "primes" Lofa has been hurt lately though.

We are still being mentioned for Osi as well. I wouldn't move a first rounder for him, but I have no problem giving up multiple mid rounders for him.

This guy is always wrong about us. He stinks on ice. To be honest we're interested with all FA. Hell we're interested in Aaron Rodgers.

He actually has broke a lot of news so far. All he has reported on the Browns really is that we have spoken with certain people like Ray Edwards who we were speaking too. Again he has only reported now that we are talking to these players.

Personally I think Rodgers would be a good pick up as long as his contract is within reason. Tatapu would be a good depth move and if he signs accordingly it would be another good move. Osi would be sick ... as long as we don't give up a first rounder. However if a first rounder is all they will take ... I would consider it as long as we got there second back also.

He actually has broke a lot of news so far. All he has reported on the Browns really is that we have spoken with certain people like Ray Edwards who we were speaking too. Again he has only reported now that we are talking to these players.

Personally I think Rodgers would be a good pick up as long as his contract is within reason. Tatapu would be a good depth move and if he signs accordingly it would be another good move. Osi would be sick ... as long as we don't give up a first rounder. However if a first rounder is all they will take ... I would consider it as long as we got there second back also.

Ray Edwards' agent said we never contacted him so he was wrong on that.. way wrong.

Literally everything people have posted about what this guy has said is wrong or never, ever confirmed by anyone else. Hell, I should start a new damn twitter account and say we're talking to every free agent out there. Don't you think it's weird he's the only one breaking these types of things?

so he was right regarding the browns and Nate Clements, Antonio Cromartie, Johnathon Joseph & Ray Edwards? The same Ray Edwards we didn't even send a phone call to? And all those other guys to my knowledge no other source has even confirmed we said a word to?

I'd really like to see with all the one's he got "right" if he was the first to report it.

The way I figure it, this guy is called "incarerated Bob" for a very good reason. He is in prison. Just because you are in prison doesn't mean that you don't have access to a computer or a twitter account or whatever. His sources are probably his fellow inmates.

What's the story with Tatupa and his substance problems? Carroll was his coach at USC so it makes me wonder and think that there must be something wrong if Pete was willing to let him go like that. I don't know any details just read a few things.

Reason for tatupu's release was the team wanted to restructure his contract and weren't able to, more than likely to free up extra cap space. His contract made him one of the top 6 payed linebackers in the NFL and his numbers definitely did not show that.

And what's this talk about injury concerns with him? Missed one season in 2009 due to a torn pectoral I do believe and other than that he's never had a serious injury in his NFL or college career.

Would love to see both guys as they would add nice depth to our most depleted positions, but I have a feeling Rodgers is going to command more money and a longer term than we want to give a #2 corner at this point

Reason for tatupu's release was the team wanted to restructure his contract and weren't able to, more than likely to free up extra cap space. His contract made him one of the top 6 payed linebackers in the NFL and his numbers definitely did not show that.

And what's this talk about injury concerns with him? Missed one season in 2009 due to a torn pectoral I do believe and other than that he's never had a serious injury in his NFL or college career.

Would love to see both guys as they would add nice depth to our most depleted positions, but I have a feeling Rodgers is going to command more money and a longer term than we want to give a #2 corner at this point

I understand that the Seahawks wanted to restructure his contract but there must be a reason they wanted to. If he was still producing like a top LB he would still be paid like one. All I'm saying is that I read from Hawks fans that his drinking problem has lead to his decline in play.

Whatever is is I hope he is passed it and I would like to see him as Brown. "Shaka Brah, Mahalo"

Lmao okay - this guy didn't beat Schefter, Caforna and every other guy an hour or better before all the deals were announced. That just didn't happen. It's make believe.

Believe whatever you want I guess - there is evidence.

first off, to respond to that I'm not surprised at all if he beat Schefter and the ESPN gang. But I'd be really interested to look into if local media outlets reported it before he tweeted it. Don't just assume cause he beat mainstream he was the first to report it.

Secondly and most importantly, he's been a whopping 0 for 4 regarding browns potential free agents. No one else reported anything he did, so why should I believe anything the guy says regarding us at this point? I mean use common sense here, fool me once comes into play here.

So you think it's just a big coincidence that no one ran serious stories on those free agents? I could put on my twitter right now the browns are interested in bringing moss out of retirement. just because i say interested instead of another word that makes it okay? That doesn't hurt my credibility at all? I'm just getting really tired of everyone putting up these tweets from him as if he has some knowledge on it when he's shown absolutely nothing to prove to me he has insider information about the browns. He might just have good info on other teams around the league, but come on. The guy clearly just puts teams that could use a FA's services and say they are interested. Of course they could be interested, a five year old could tell you that.

Mikey, here's the bottom line. Exact tweet from this dude, which ironically you put on here

I am trying Browns fans.. Still no confirmation on Joseph or Ray Edwards but the chatter is lively.. Can confirm Clev made big offers

It's been confirmed by everyone we NEVER offered to Edwards. Look mikey, i know you want FA's and I know when people mention us with them it's hard to sit there and not hope, hell I do too. But you have to take people like this at a grain of salt. It's tough after being so bad for so long, trust me we all feel it. But you have to trust our FO and their signings on this one. This is the best FO we've had since '99. You have to give them more than a year to prove themselves. We're all browns fans here, we have to keep believing. It's all we got haha.

haha, trust me i'm bitching about it too man. I do wish we would of gone out and signed a starting caliber DE and CB. As to only his agent saying it, yes that's true but I don't think the major Cleveland outlets would report it that way if it weren't the case. I could be wrong but I honestly believe there was never an offer there. I don't think you come and make a big lie if it can clearly get refuted.

I just trust the guys upstairs and you have to give them time. I mean think about it this way, in one year they brought a starting S, CB, QB, & RB. Let's be optimistic and say our first three picks stick on well too. That gives us now 7 players in two year, potentially 8 if hardesty can come back from the ACL. If you couple that with the talent of Cribbs, Rubin and Thomas, that's fielding almost half the players. It's tough to look at the glass half full but that's all we can do haha.

Mikey,

People are kind of reacting as if you, and I are posting Incarceratedbobs tweets as the gospel when in reality they are just rumors from someone with sources and are just ment for some message board talk.

This thread was created to discuss Rodgers and Tatapu and if they could help the Brownies. It ended up turning into "this guy is clueless" and his rumors have no legs and I can tweet random stuff and it would be the same thing.

I still wanna hear if people wan these guys or not.

Well I hope you don't take it as me vilifying either of you guys. You both bring good posts to this board and I hope you think the same of me. I just am trying to say that it seems like people get upset when this guy's tweets end up falling through. I don't doubt he has insider info, I just hate to see something that has no legs at all turn into something we take seriously ya know?

I'll answer your question though: For both guys I think they could help, but I think Tatupa is going to want a big contract. Rogers isn't a guy i'm crazy about either but frankly we need someone decent to start until we bring a young guy through the draft. Both would help, but just accept that we won't sign them, at least IMO

Well I hope you don't take it as me vilifying either of you guys. You both bring good posts to this board and I hope you think the same of me. I just am trying to say that it seems like people get upset when this guy's tweets end up falling through. I don't doubt he has insider info, I just hate to see something that has no legs at all turn into something we take seriously ya know?

I'll answer your question though: For both guys I think they could help, but I think Tatupa is going to want a big contract. Rogers isn't a guy i'm crazy about either but frankly we need someone decent to start until we bring a young guy through the draft. Both would help, but just accept that we won't sign them, at least IMO

Honestly at this point legs or not I don't even care because what should be a lively and exciting period has been a huge let down. With that said I also don't want them to make bad signings so I don't mind avoiding guys like Edwards who is a question mark IMO. I just want to be able to talk about anything Browns. And rumors from someone with some sort of connections to teams and who has pegged some big signings are a good start because you never do know.

The more and more I think about it I really want to see Rodgers on this team just because IMO we need a CB badly even if they can't beat out Sheldon Brown we need a solid nickel guy and a guy to fill in for Brown and Haden. I am not at all confident of the likes of Buster Skrine and the kid we picked up from the Eagles getting any PT. I feel a solid DB is imperative to have at this stage in Sheldon Browns career. Rodgers for a yr at a decent amount would be fine with me because at the end of the day its only a year and it isn't my money. If he would sign a reasonable contract though I would sign him multi year and see what happens. The way the league is designed now I truly believe you can never have to many DB's.

The more I think about Tatapu the more my opinion of him changes. He is a middle linebacker and we have DJ. I think DJ is going to really suprise people this year. I think that him playing in the middle in a stripped down and simple (compared to previous season) defense is going to lead to him not thinking as much and making a ton of plays. With that being said I don't know if it is worth throwing any sort of real money at him. Again though if we sign him for a year who really cares because it isn't our money. Tatapu would be more appealing if he could be an outside backer.

Osi is they guy I really covet. I can not stress to you how much I like Osi. I am still having trouble with the idea of the Browns parting with a first round pick for him and would be upset if that were the case ... but I think being that we have 2 first rounders I would honestly get over it. At 29 I would say he is still in the prime of his career and has another 3 good years left in him. ***Side note I am not saying I want to give up the first rounder. I am just saying I would get over it if they did** He is a monster at DE and we need that so bad. We haven't had any defensive players of his caliber since we came back in 1999. He is a playmaker on the defensive end. He gets to the QB and he had 10 forced fumbles last year. 10!!!

Like I have said previously I would maybe position a trade where we get the Giants second rounder and Osi for the later of our 2 first rounders. Or maybe I would try and do something along the lines of a third and a player (gocong comes to mind since they need a backer and I dislike Gocong in the 4-3 as he was a failure from what I have read about him in the 4-3 scheme) Of course the ideal situation could be us signing Tatapu and him being able to be an outside backer and then trading Gocong to the Giants with a third and fifth the following year for Osi.

I could easily live with a SLU of ...

Osi/Taylor/Rubin/Sheerd

Tatapu/Dqwell/Fujita

Haden/Rodgers/Sheldon Brown @ FS/Ward

All of a sudden we would actually have NFL caliber players all over on defense and even some studs mixed in there with Haden, Ward, and Osi ... And then guys like Tatapu, Dqwell and Fujita who want to prove themselves after injuries and being cast off from there former teams.

Honestly at this point legs or not I don't even care because what should be a lively and exciting period has been a huge let down. With that said I also don't want them to make bad signings so I don't mind avoiding guys like Edwards who is a question mark IMO. I just want to be able to talk about anything Browns. And rumors from someone with some sort of connections to teams and who has pegged some big signings are a good start because you never do know.

The more and more I think about it I really want to see Rodgers on this team just because IMO we need a CB badly even if they can't beat out Sheldon Brown we need a solid nickel guy and a guy to fill in for Brown and Haden. I am not at all confident of the likes of Buster Skrine and the kid we picked up from the Eagles getting any PT. I feel a solid DB is imperative to have at this stage in Sheldon Browns career. Rodgers for a yr at a decent amount would be fine with me because at the end of the day its only a year and it isn't my money. If he would sign a reasonable contract though I would sign him multi year and see what happens. The way the league is designed now I truly believe you can never have to many DB's.

The more I think about Tatapu the more my opinion of him changes. He is a middle linebacker and we have DJ. I think DJ is going to really suprise people this year. I think that him playing in the middle in a stripped down and simple (compared to previous season) defense is going to lead to him not thinking as much and making a ton of plays. With that being said I don't know if it is worth throwing any sort of real money at him. Again though if we sign him for a year who really cares because it isn't our money. Tatapu would be more appealing if he could be an outside backer.

Osi is they guy I really covet. I can not stress to you how much I like Osi. I am still having trouble with the idea of the Browns parting with a first round pick for him and would be upset if that were the case ... but I think being that we have 2 first rounders I would honestly get over it. At 29 I would say he is still in the prime of his career and has another 3 good years left in him. ***Side note I am not saying I want to give up the first rounder. I am just saying I would get over it if they did** He is a monster at DE and we need that so bad. We haven't had any defensive players of his caliber since we came back in 1999. He is a playmaker on the defensive end. He gets to the QB and he had 10 forced fumbles last year. 10!!!

Like I have said previously I would maybe position a trade where we get the Giants second rounder and Osi for the later of our 2 first rounders. Or maybe I would try and do something along the lines of a third and a player (gocong comes to mind since they need a backer and I dislike Gocong in the 4-3 as he was a failure from what I have read about him in the 4-3 scheme) Of course the ideal situation could be us signing Tatapu and him being able to be an outside backer and then trading Gocong to the Giants with a third and fifth the following year for Osi.

I could easily live with a SLU of ...

Osi/Taylor/Rubin/Sheerd

Tatapu/Dqwell/Fujita

Haden/Rodgers/Sheldon Brown @ FS/Ward

All of a sudden we would actually have NFL caliber players all over on defense and even some studs mixed in there with Haden, Ward, and Osi ... And then guys like Tatapu, Dqwell and Fujita who want to prove themselves after injuries and being cast off from there former teams.

I love Osi and all but he has always played opposite of Michael Strahan or Justin Tuck. He's had other good players on that defensive line. Not gonna lie, Cleveland would be quite the change of pace playing alongside Sheard, Taylor, and Rubin. I don't think he would do as well on the Browns defense. Basically, I am saying that he isn't worth the price. A 1st round pick is incredibly valuable and we have two. There's a strong draft class coming in (supposably) so lets take advantage of it. Just my two cents. Go Browns!

Signing a Tatupa or a Rogers to a one year contract (that is what they're asking for (and Rogers got) doesn't seem to do much for me. They come here and play and then we have to replace them again if they leave. Or overpay them to stay. Lose-lose signings if you ask me.

Lots of the FA's are singing 1 yr deals.

Tatupa is a MLB...and I've heard that DQ is our projected Sam backer. I believe Gocong is our MLB.

I have read both that Dqwell will play in the middle or outside. I am almost positive that in one of either Heckert or Shurmers pressers on ClevelandBrowns.com they said that he was going to be the middle backer though and that they were excited about what they thought he could do there. (obviously the excited thing I take with a grain of salt ... but I can't see why they would say he is the middle linebacker as a smoke screen??)

Like I have said I am excited about Dqwell in the middle, but if Tatpu can help the Browns I am all for it. He could potentially be a nice small under the radar signing that really helps us out. Especially if DQ can play outside well because I have an AWEFUL feeling about Gocong.

Archived