THE BROWNS BOARD

Tribe Adds Fukudome

Chris.

The guy whose last name kind of reminds me of Goodfellas. Pretty much exactly the kind of deal I was hoping for. He's hitting .273 (.374 OBP) but with pretty much no power this year. He's also known as a really good defender.

The Indians acquired Cubs outfielder Kosuke Fukudome today in exchange for two minor leaguers, RHP Carlton Smith and OF Abner Abreu. Smith was a depth relief option still developing in Triple-A Columbus at age 25; his strikeouts spiked this season, but his overall numbers remain mediocre. Abreu was an interesting C-grade prospect toiling away in Advanced-A Kinston; he has great power potential but probably will never hit for enough contact to make it to the majors.

The Indians reportedly pay less than 800K of Fukudome's remaining salary, meaning the Cubs will send nearly $4 million in cash to balance out the deal. The Indians basically got this guy for nothing.

Fukudome has been a huge disappointment in Chicago, signed with no U.S. experience to a Hafner-sized deal to great fanfare and then failing to produce any power at the plate. Leaving aside the disappointments of Cubs management and fans, the Indians are getting a plus defender and plus on-base guy. He won't set the world on fire — and he certainly doesn't give us an upgrade against lefties — but he is a solid if incremental upgrade to the club's shockingly depleted outfield picture.

Travis Buck was designated for assignment to free up a roster spot for Fukudome. The Indians reportedly are still in the hunt for a right-handed bat (Ludwick?) and possibly a starting pitcher. Stay tuned, the Indians are officially "buyers" now.

http://www.letsgotribe.com/

I think this is a pretty solid trade. We needed someone in the outfield and he could use a fresh start. He is kind of old and having an off year, but a lot of cubs fans seem to be mad to see him go. I also think he made the all-star game back in 08, so that's a positive. I've been waiting for us to make a "big" move, but after this I don't see it happening. I still have faith we'll make at least one more trade before the deadline, and Shapiro even tweeted that today.

Everyone wanted Beltran, but we knew that wasn't going to happen. Even Pence would have been a big reach. Not sure who else we're looking at but I wouldn't mind adding another starting pitcher and possibly someone like ludwick or bj upton.

Yeah, I can't imagine Antonetti and co. are saying "Welp, we did it!" after getting Fukudome. Still work to be done, but I love the strategy. The team is still a long way from being a contender with the likes of Boston and New York, but we are contenders in the Central, and the Fukudome trade is kind of confirming that. Don't mortgage the future, but give us a better chance at winning this weak division and getting into the playoffs this year.

(edit) And even with the down year he's having, Fukudome's .374 OBP would be the best on the Tribe after Hafner. Him either leading off or batting 2nd would create a lot of runs with Brantley and Cabrera rounding out the top 3, with the big boppers behind them.

Yeah, I can't imagine Antonetti and co. are saying "Welp, we did it!" after getting Fukudome. Still work to be done, but I love the strategy. The team is still a long way from being a contender with the likes of Boston and New York, but we are contenders in the Central, and the Fukudome trade is kind of confirming that. Don't mortgage the future, but give us a better chance at winning this weak division and getting into the playoffs this year.

(edit) And even with the down year he's having, Fukudome's .374 OBP would be the best on the Tribe after Hafner. Him either leading off or batting 2nd would create a lot of runs with Brantley and Cabrera rounding out the top 3, with the big boppers behind them.

From what I've heard they'll have him at the 2 spot. I like Brantley leading off, he's got to be one of the most patient batters. Kind of funny all year I've only see him swing at the first pitch once...which is pretty ridiculous.

Our top of the order should be:

Brantley

Fukudome

Cabrera

Hafner

Santana

• 2 weeks later...

Archived