THE BROWNS BOARD

Pioli Favors Ferentz

PlayoffsIN09

This is the EXACT same thing Hawkeye fans were saying when Iowa missed out on Bobby Stoops and hired KF. The sky was falling, he had no experience, he wasn't the right guy for us, etc.....All crap.

The Browns would be VERY fortunate to have Ferentz. With a piece of sh*t 4-12 record and a team that hasn't won a playoff game since before bottled water, we don't have a lot of room to get 'picky' with other discarded NFL coaches that have failed.

Ferentz has beaten Paterno, Spurrier, Carr, Saban, Leach and your precious Jim Tressel....with FAR less talent.

I'd hate to see him leave Iowa, but, if he had to leave, I'd be very happy it is with the Browns.

College isn't the Pros. He isn't dealing with kids looking to make their millions, he's dealing with guys who have already made them. There is a big difference in coaching. I'm not interested - Ferentz can go cut his teeth elsewhere; if we miss out, fine. I believe, if he makes it to the pros, he'll fail. Not because he's a bad college coach, but because it's the Pros and a very different game. It's hard for anyone to make the jump from College HC to Pro HC and be succesful. Notice that I'm also not calling for Meyer, Tressel, or Stoops, either? I don't WANT a college coach. It's nothing against Ferentz.

We've tried inexperienced NFL Head Coaches 3 times now and it hasn't worked yet. Time to get someone with experience, IMO.

This is the EXACT same thing Hawkeye fans were saying when Iowa missed out on Bobby Stoops and hired KF. The sky was falling, he had no experience, he wasn't the right guy for us, etc.....All crap.

The Browns would be VERY fortunate to have Ferentz. With a piece of sh*t 4-12 record and a team that hasn't won a playoff game since before bottled water, we don't have a lot of room to get 'picky' with other discarded NFL coaches that have failed.

Ferentz has beaten Paterno, Spurrier, Carr, Saban, Leach and your precious Jim Tressel....with FAR less talent.

I'd hate to see him leave Iowa, but, if he had to leave, I'd be very happy it is with the Browns.

I agree.

College isn't the Pros. He isn't dealing with kids looking to make their millions, he's dealing with guys who have already made them. There is a big difference in coaching. I'm not interested - Ferentz can go cut his teeth elsewhere; if we miss out, fine. I believe, if he makes it to the pros, he'll fail. Not because he's a bad college coach, but because it's the Pros and a very different game. It's hard for anyone to make the jump from College HC to Pro HC and be succesful. Notice that I'm also not calling for Meyer, Tressel, or Stoops, either? I don't WANT a college coach. It's nothing against Ferentz.

We've tried inexperienced NFL Head Coaches 3 times now and it hasn't worked yet. Time to get someone with experience, IMO.

I find this to be generalizing way too much. Ferentz has pro experience and he dealt with Dallas Clark, Bob Sanders, Shonne Greene, Robert Gallery, etc...all looking to make their millions. In many ways, his career parallels Dick Vermeil's early career as an assistant with the Rams and, then, HC at UCLA..then, back to the pros. where, he was, again successful.

Jimmy Johnson, Switzer, Parcells, Coughlin, Vermeil, etc...seemed to make the adjustment. Others like Pete Carrol, Butch Davis - not so much. It's just too general to make this assumption.

Ferentz is a good, solid coach with high integrity. I'd rather have a successful college coach than a NFL failure.

In 2002 and 2004 Iowa won the conference title....there is no championship game in the Big Ten.

God, do you guys look up anything? It's a simple click on Google.

Please excuse our geriatric posters, Hawkeye. They are stuck in the 50's, permanently.

I find this to be generalizing way too much. Ferentz has pro experience and he dealt with Dallas Clark, Bob Sanders, Shonne Greene, Robert Gallery, etc...all looking to make their millions. In many ways, his career parallels Dick Vermeil's early career as an assistant with the Rams and, then, HC at UCLA..then, back to the pros. where, he was, again successful.

Jimmy Johnson, Switzer, Parcells, Coughlin, Vermeil, etc...seemed to make the adjustment. Others like Pete Carrol, Butch Davis - not so much. It's just too general to make this assumption.

Ferentz is a good, solid coach with high integrity. I'd rather have a successful college coach than a NFL failure.

Of the players you mentioned, how many were pros when he 'dealt' with them? Different guy when he's making more jack than you are. Not the same game, not the same players. Handling pros isn't like handling a bunch of college kids. It just isn't.

You've listed 4 coaches who turned out well, while only listing 2 that didn't. I'll bet I can make the 'sucked to high heaven' list a lot longer than the 'guys who were successful making the jump from college directly to NFL HC'. Of the 4 coaches you listed, at least two of them came from big name, SUCCESSFUL programs, neither of which describes Iowa.

GENERALLY speaking, college coaches don't work out. Generally speaking, first time NFL head coaches haven't worked here in CLE.

PS: Please pay more attention to Mangini. You want to look at more than Ferentz win-loss record, while only considering Mangini's W-L record. Mangini has shown a hell of a lot more in the pros than Ferentz has. I'll definitely take him over the guy who's prior experience was 10 years ago in the NFL coaching one of the lines.

It appears we have Lumbergh redux...

Of the players you mentioned, how many were pros when he 'dealt' with them? Different guy when he's making more jack than you are. Not the same game, not the same players. Handling pros isn't like handling a bunch of college kids. It just isn't.

You've listed 4 coaches who turned out well, while only listing 2 that didn't. I'll bet I can make the 'sucked to high heaven' list a lot longer than the 'guys who were successful making the jump from college directly to NFL HC'. Of the 4 coaches you listed, at least two of them came from big name, SUCCESSFUL programs, neither of which describes Iowa.

GENERALLY speaking, college coaches don't work out. Generally speaking, first time NFL head coaches haven't worked here in CLE.

PS: Please pay more attention to Mangini. You want to look at more than Ferentz win-loss record, while only considering Mangini's W-L record. Mangini has shown a hell of a lot more in the pros than Ferentz has. I'll definitely take him over the guy who's prior experience was 10 years ago in the NFL coaching one of the lines.

It appears we have Lumbergh redux...

Wow. Sorry. Just got back to the computer to see this.....Well, a few things.

1) Why is he a 'different guy' when he's making more money than you? Explain that. Automatically, ALL players that make more money than the coach is difficult to handle?!? Again, more broad strokes from you.

2) I listed those coaches as examples. I'm sure there are more on both sides. I'm just pointing out your overly general comments...which, then, you confirmed later in your own post. Thank you.

3) You don't think Iowa has been successful? 20 bowl games in 25 seasons, five conf. titles, three top 10 finishes in the past 6 years. Nine wins this season with 4 starting seniors....in IOWA! Not Ohio, not Texas, not Notre Dame, not Michigan, not California, not Florida.....I-O-W-A. Think about that.

4) Mangini will be fine. I'm not saying he won't be, just enough with the Ferentz-bashing. It's b.s. We'd be very fortunate to have him. What are we clinging to? The Chris Palmer era? Bring him in.

That's all. I'm done.

Archived