THE BROWNS BOARD

Aaron Curry Interview

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

There's been a lot of talk in another thread about finding a young leader for our defense: someone who'll establish an ethic of hard work and intense, physical play.

To get a sense of what Aaron Curry would offer, I recommend you check out this interview he did with a bunch of local reporters.

(Once the actual interview begins, you may want to pause it and let it buffer for a minute or so. That'll insure a much smoother stream.)

Just like one of the announcers said during Wake Forest's bowl game, Curry exudes a sense of confidence and leadership. Not only that, but his style is a little bit nasty. He definitely talks like a guy ready to take over the "thumper" Ted spot in our 3-4. And from what I've seen on the field, he's got the talent and instincts to be a Pro Bowler at the position.

There's been a lot of talk in another thread about finding a young leader for our defense: someone who'll establish an ethic of hard work and intense, physical play.

To get a sense of what Aaron Curry would offer, I recommend you check out this interview he did with a bunch of local reporters.

(Once the actual interview begins, you may want to pause it and let it buffer for a minute or so. That'll insure a much smoother stream.)

Just like one of the announcers said during Wake Forest's bowl game, Curry exudes a sense of confidence and leadership. Not only that, but his style is a little bit nasty. He definitely talks like a guy ready to take over the "thumper" Ted spot in our 3-4. And from what I've seen on the field, he's got the talent and instincts to be a Pro Bowler at the position.

Curry may be great, but I won't take anything from an interview. It doesn't give me an idea of what kind of player he is at all.

However, the ACC was loaded with crap offenses this season and I believe that hel;ped Curry's performance as much as anything. Like I said in the other thread, Maualuga plays against four top 30 offenses and Curry and Wake Forrest plays one. Navy was tied for 50th in the country in scoring and Curry wasn't too impressive there.

Guest Aloysius

It's true that Maualuga faced tougher defenses, but he was also playing on an elite squad. It's not like he was Ernie Sims this year, who had a bad year because he was compensating for the lack of talent around him.

I'm generally wary of this kind of strength of competition calculus, but I'd respond with two points:

• I'm guessing you're referring to Wake's bowl game against Navy when you say he wasn't too impressive (they also played each other earlier in the season). My sense is that it's very difficult to be impressive against a triple option defensive, especially when your main responsibility on many plays is to take out one of the pitch options. And I don't think he had a bad game.

• If the strength of competition factor truly matters, then it's interesting that Maualuga had an Andra Davis-like performance against the 26th ranked defense (Oregon State), whereas Curry had a great game against the 27th ranked squad (Florida State).
Instead of charting the strength of competition, I prefer to look at Curry's trajectory of constant improvement from year to year. By contrast, Maualaga made little progress in his game; according to some, he actually regressed a bit.

And as for whether interviews are important: yes, I think they are. It won't tell you what his athleticism or instincts are like, but it provides insight into what kind of character a guy has. That's why I talked about leadership and instilling an ethic of hard work.

Guest Aloysius

Part of the reason he doesn't have those "banger" highlights is that the coaches play him almost like a 3-4 OLB on run downs. And as you can see in this clip, he's pretty good at stopping the run from that spot:

But when he's played inside, he's looked very good at stuffing the run - I saw him get one or two TFL's from that spot in the Florida State game.

Archived