THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns reaching out to Shanahan

Guest mz.

From Rotoworld, via Grossi...

A "source with knowledge of the situation" tells the Cleveland Plain Dealer that the Browns will certainly reach out to Mike Shanahan about their head-coaching position.

Don't let Scott Pioli hear this. Shanny will be a threat to personnel decision makers wherever he lands and Pioli is considering leaving New England to get more control (and more money). No interview has been set for Shanahan.

I love the idea of Shanahan, but this pairing doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm surprised Shep isn't on the Shanahan Bandwagon.

The guy is a QB svengali.

Zombo

--He made Jake Plummer look good!

WTF are you talking about.... PAIRING? Good Krist.

I like Shanahan.

WTF are you talking about, ever? It's a sad, sad mess you wallow in, pal.

And the PAIRING we're talking about exists because all reports have us bringing in Pioli as GM. Therefore, he'd be PAIRED with Shanahan if he were to be hired, because he'd almost be assured of being given some control over personnel. THAT'S what I'm talking about.

I like a lot of things about Shanahan, mostly on offense. I think he's a pretty suck-ass untitled GM. I think he doesn't give a shit about defense, which is fine if you cover that base. And I think we'd be a blip on his resume because he's "The Lifetime Coach of the Denver Broncos."

I want Shanahan 15 years ago, not now. And his name is Josh McDaniels. Or I want Cowher 15 years ago... and his name is Jim Schwartz.

I agree with this last paragraph. Let's see what we get.

Mike

Ive made my descison that I dont want anyone else's head coach leftovers, I want to hit the the Jackpot on a young guy like Mcdaniels. Plus Shanahan wants full control.

I SAY NO

Again we agree. Forget Cowher, Parcells, Shanahan, Shottenheimer, and Billik.

The only past HC I could be somewhat excited about is Mangini, otherwise, let's go with a young gun.

Something to think about with bringing in the "proven championship winning coaches" Only Weeb Eubank has won an NFL title with 2 different teams. No one has EVER won the super bowl with 2 different teams. Parcells came close..winning with the Giants and losing with New England. But no one has ever done it. That's the reason why I'm glad we aren't getting Cowher and that's reason enough for me to stay away from Shanahan.

Pioli is fine with me...but I want a different coach...someone away from the New England system...it didn't work the first time.

I like shanahan but i like pioli/mcdaniels a wee bit better but only as a combo package deal..ultimately we dont get to run the club so we will take what our master gives us...since he is to wimp to look a straight talker that refused him in the eyes and say... i will give you whatever you would need are you sure you wont reconsider?

Its nice to dream though..

Ozzie,ozzie! ozzie! ;)

Why do you love the idea of Shanahan whom without Elway he won jack sheet............is that what you want .............one wishing and hoping and wishing what wins.......me I want a guy who takes what he got and wins regular?????????????

Why do you love the idea of Shanahan whom without Elway he won jack sheet

Shanahan has been successful in the past and has won 2 Super Bowls. He took a team with 4-win talent this year and doubled that.

What did Bill Walsh win without Montana or Young? See how dumb that question looks????

I like a lot of things about Shanahan, mostly on offense. I think he's a pretty suck-ass untitled GM. I think he doesn't give a shit about defense, which is fine if you cover that base. And I think we'd be a blip on his resume because he's "The Lifetime Coach of the Denver Broncos."

I want Shanahan 15 years ago, not now. And his name is Josh McDaniels. Or I want Cowher 15 years ago... and his name is Jim Schwartz.

Exactly. He let his D coordinator bring in Browns retreads, and it got him nowhere.

Guest Aloysius

I agree. Only Schwartz reminds me more of Belichick than Cowher.

I love this quote of one evil defensive genius giving props to another:

"(Schwartz is) probably one of the smartest people that I've been around," Belichick said. "He's one of these guys that can be working on five or six things at the same time, and be right on top of all of them. He's a hard-working guy, he knows no hours and no time frame. He's very dedicated. He's a good football guy, a good football mind, a good guy to be around.

"He's done well. But that doesn't surprise me."

And like Belichick, Schwartz knows how smart he is, which rubs people the wrong way:

Schwartz may be the most qualified assistant in terms of pure brainpower, but he has a tendency to come across as overly arrogant — a quality that should be very interesting to monitor in the coming days and weeks.

“I wish there was more consistency from Jim Schwartz,” said one veteran league source. “Would you have said he were a hot candidate last year? … He’s very, very smart, but he’s always the smartest guy in the room.

“You have to know what you’re getting and be able to manage him.”

If there's one person who knows how to handle evil defensive geniuses, it's Scott Pioli.

No one has EVER won the super bowl with 2 different teams.

Mark, this means nothing. They used to say that teams that played in domes never won the Superbowl- and it was true until one did (Rams), then another (Colts).

If a coach has won a Championship, using that as a reson NOT to hire him makes no sense to me.

Again we agree. Forget Cowher, Parcells, Shanahan, Shottenheimer, and Billik.

The only past HC I could be somewhat excited about is Mangini, otherwise, let's go with a young gun.

Isn't funny how things have changed? I'm not even saying this as a Steelers fan but prior to the last couple seasons going with a young, unproven coach so to speak was generally looked down upon. You then have guys like Tomlin jumping on the scene and excelling and now it's "lets get a young gun" I 100% agree and don't believe the best course of action for the Stains is to go after a "has been" if you will. Shanahan is definitely a guy I wouldn't want coaching if I were a Stains fan he hasn't been the same since Elway and that one plummer run. Shottenheimer is the same. I'm even iffy on Cowher after having Tomlin on the sideline. You want a guy that still has his guns blazing not someone that has been in the system and "ruined" by it...a coach with fire in his eyes....or you just need owners like the Rooney's (ZINGER!!!!! lol)

Good luck boys and girls I do hope that you get a solid coach and I mean that in the most genuine terms......BUT to make sure everyone knows I'm not getting soft and trying to fit in on this lovely Browns board I leave you with this....GO xxxx YOURSELVES and go Steelers! :)

(Oh and I "troll" for the different perspective. I love reading all the pissing and moaning about the Steeler trolls, "I don't know why they are here, don't they have anything better to do?" Actually yes plenty better to do but I love the NFL and I love my Steelers and there are a few here with a honest perspective on things that I enjoy reading. Later ladies.

Mark, this means nothing. They used to say that teams that played in domes never won the Superbowl- and it was true until one did (Rams), then another (Colts).

If a coach has won a Championship, using that as a reson NOT to hire him makes no sense to me.

Whether it means anything or not, it is an interesting piece of information that no coach has ever won the super bowl with two different teams and only one coach has won a NFL title with 2 different teams.

What I think it means is that just because the guy is a super bowl winning coach, doesn't mean that he's going to achieve that level of success somewhere else and based on history, it also means its less likely that he will win with a different team.

I got to agree with that. McDaniel and I'd say Belichick 15 years ago is Mangini.

Take a look at Mangini with the Jets and it reminds me of Belichick when he was in Cleveland. He moved on and he learned from his first experience.

Schwartz isn't the young stud, he's been around awhile.

Guest Aloysius
I got to agree with that. McDaniel and I'd say Belichick 15 years ago is Mangini.

Take a look at Mangini with the Jets and it reminds me of Belichick when he was in Cleveland. He moved on and he learned from his first experience.

Schwartz isn't the young stud, he's been around awhile.

Well, Schwartz has been with the Titans for 10 years and is in his 8th year as DC. Before Belichick got his first HC job, he'd been with the Giants for 11 years and was a DC for 6. Belichick was 39 when got the Browns job; Schwartz is 42. Those seem to be pretty comparable numbers.

If anything, Mangini & McDaniels are different from Belichick in that they lack the years of coordinator experience that he & Schwartz had. You could say that it's simply a reflection of how increasingly younger guys are getting head coaching jobs, but it's not at all clear that Belichick thinks that's a good thing. In fact, there were reports a few years ago that Belichick told Mangini he wasn't experienced enough to handle a head coaching job. Perhaps Belichick thinks the same thing about McDaniels - that could be part of the reason Pioli seems to be leaning against hiring him.

And as for why Schwartz hasn't gotten a HC job: he's been the young stud who came a close second to getting a HC job. In 2005, he was the runner-up to Mike Nolan for the Niners job, and he almost got the Redskins' job last year.

It's not like we're talking about a RAC figure who's coached for 25 years without ever getting serious consideration for a head coaching job.

I dont want McDaniels! Most of his success isnt from being this great Offensive Guru. He has a team loaded with stud players all around. These guys are football players and not football pretenders like what we have a shit load of.

can you honstly say that we have a running game or a passing game even close to NE? do the players talent levels match up with NE?

So what is McDaniels to do? Pull a Rabbit out of his ASS and say were going to the SB? No We need a Coach a previously successful HC that has plenty of Pro Experience. Not another project guy!

I dont want McDaniels! Most of his success isnt from being this great Offensive Guru. He has a team loaded with stud players all around. These guys are football players and not football pretenders like what we have a shit load of.

can you honstly say that we have a running game or a passing game even close to NE? do the players talent levels match up with NE?

So what is McDaniels to do? Pull a Rabbit out of his ASS and say were going to the SB? No We need a Coach a previously successful HC that has plenty of Pro Experience. Not another project guy!

and Cassell's is one of those stud players all around. Must be why Belichick wants to give him a 2+ million salary and make him Asst. HC, cause he is overrated.

But hell, let's go get some retreads that has been fired 3 or 4 times. Maybe you would like to have the Tom Donahoe/Mike Mularky combination. That's experience. How about MR. "Can't get to the Super Bowl" Marty Shot. He doesn't want to coach, but he's available. Miami, Atlanta, New Orleans, Pitts, all probably wish they would have taken a more experienced guy to be HC. The heck with Spagnoula, Schwartz, McDaniel, let them go somewhere else and win, we want experience.

Established great coaches aren't born as established great coaches. Someone has to give new minds a chance to become that established great coach. Certain franchises understand the very definition of the word "opportunity," and how that single word can lift franchises to unprecedented levels of success. The next Holmgren, Belichick, and Parcells need to be found by teams, not the other way around.

Established great coaches aren't born as established great coaches. Someone has to give new minds a chance to become that established great coach. Certain franchises understand the very definition of the word "opportunity," and how that single word can lift franchises to unprecedented levels of success. The next Holmgren, Belichick, and Parcells need to be found by teams, not the other way around.

That's the problem with the Browns though, isn't it? Perhaps the city of Cleveland in general. Everyone wants a championship *so badly* they're willing to gamble on unproven young minds who *might* in the unlikeliest of scenarios turn out to be the next Belichick. But seriously, it's not going to happen. There will never be another Bill Belichick for a long time. At this point all I want is success. Perennial, consistent above average-success, where we can compete for a playoff spot. Other teams fire their coaches when they fail to make the playoffs, or fail to *get far* in the playoffs. We have to fire out coaches because they can't even come close to a .500 average. I'm seriously sick of that. I'll be quite happy with a proven head coach who we know will bring us *reasonable* success.

And besides, once you get into the playoffs, you're only 3 wins away from the Super Bowl. Seeing as how *failing* to get into the playoffs by a game caused the Berea training camp audience to chant "Super Bowl" as their team practiced, I imagine just getting into the playoffs would satisfy the city for quite a while.

and Cassell's is one of those stud players all around. Must be why Belichick wants to give him a 2+ million salary and make him Asst. HC, cause he is overrated.

But hell, let's go get some retreads that has been fired 3 or 4 times. Maybe you would like to have the Tom Donahoe/Mike Mularky combination. That's experience. How about MR. "Can't get to the Super Bowl" Marty Shot. He doesn't want to coach, but he's available. Miami, Atlanta, New Orleans, Pitts, all probably wish they would have taken a more experienced guy to be HC. The heck with Spagnoula, Schwartz, McDaniel, let them go somewhere else and win, we want experience.

Marty does want to coach. I posted the link the other day. Marty, Shanahan, Mangini (I believe) would turn these players into a team, and it wouldn't take 4 years to do it.

MIA, ATL - get back to me in a couple of years when they prove they aren't a flash in the pan.

PIT isn't even VAGUELY similar to CLE when Tomlin took over.

Did you notice that NO acquired a probowl QB the year they got Sean Payton? How good has NO been since that year?

Many of the recent superbowls have been won by 'retreads'. That tells me that coaches are getting their HC gigs too soon and learning on the job, resulting in getting canned. 2nd go-around, they understand how to do the job better.

I'm tired of CLE being everyone's training ground.

...At this point all I want is success. Perennial, consistent above average-success, where we can compete for a playoff spot...

Man do I agree here. Like Tom Hamilton said of the Tribe, you can't be upset every year if your team doesn't win the whole thing. You have to be somewhat happy being in the hunt, otherwise you'll be unhappy most of the time.

My hope is to be in the discussion every year at week 12. Some years 6-6 and others with 10+ wins. If Browns do that, then one of those years we'll pop through and go to the Super Bowl.

Of course, the Browns have fallen into the "just making the playoffs isn't good enough" trap themselves in the past with Marty Shott. :blush:

The Titans have had patience with Jeff Fischer when he had a down year or two and the result is every upcoming season truly has hope.

Archived