THE BROWNS BOARD

Phil Taylor

TheClevelandSound

i would have rather had jordan we need speed on the edge not a run stoper

I absolutely agree with you. They needed to take the best player available at #21, and Cameron Jordan was it. Besides, DE is a glaring need for the Browns also. If you're going to trade up 6 spots by giving away your 3rd round pick, do it for a higher rated player that still fills a need.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like a lot of you I don't see why we had to trade back up to get him but I'm sure we had our reasons. At first, I hated the pick but the more I think about it, the more I'm coming to terms with it. I don't really have a doubt that he will be a really good DT I just don't know why we went DT when we have Rodgers and Rubin. We'll have a much better idea of what the thought process was in picking him after day two is done and we see what we go for.

all I have to say about this pick is TJ Ward. no one knew who he was and now he is a big fan favorite. Let Heckert and Holmgren work. They don't get paid 7+ million a year to be dumb.

Yeah but I think Mangini was the DB guy in last year's draft. I'm not convinced Holmgren drafts very well and I'm still not sure about Heckert. Still, I like getting a DT I'm just not sure that is a glaring need for us as much as DE or OLB.

Like a lot of you I don't see why we had to trade back up to get him but I'm sure we had our reasons. At first, I hated the pick but the more I think about it, the more I'm coming to terms with it. I don't really have a doubt that he will be a really good DT I just don't know why we went DT when we have Rodgers and Rubin. We'll have a much better idea of what the thought process was in picking him after day two is done and we see what we go for.

How do you still think Rodgers in on the team!? He was released as soon as the season was over and signed with the Saints before the lockout started. You need to update your self on the current roster. Before we picked Taylor, Rubin was the only starter on the whole DL.

Who is Phil Taylor you ask? Why he is a champion dart thrower:

Phil-Taylor-December-27_1694440.jpg

He has won like 13 World Championships

I know every time I tried to google the video of him hearing the news I get this guy.

all I have to say about this pick is TJ Ward. no one knew who he was and now he is a big fan favorite. Let Heckert and Holmgren work. They don't get paid 7+ million a year to be dumb.

everyone keeps saying that nobody had heard of ward. HE WAS THE 2ND RATED SAFETY IN LAST YEAR'S DRAFT!! if you didn't hear of him you weren't paying attention.

Like a lot of you I don't see why we had to trade back up to get him but I'm sure we had our reasons.

someone posted in another thread that kansas city was sniffing around his door. i think that's why we trade back up for him.

If you check out Phil Taylor's facebook pictures you will notice two interesting Browns connections:

A man who appears to be his Dad wearing a Jim Brown jersey, and lots of pictures of Joe Haden on Spring Break.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=9378961&sk=photos

Zombo

Dude rodgers was cut and signed by the saints a few months back....rubin is the only legit dl we have at the moment

everyone keeps saying that nobody had heard of ward. HE WAS THE 2ND RATED SAFETY IN LAST YEAR'S DRAFT!! if you didn't hear of him you weren't paying attention.

someone posted in another thread that kansas city was sniffing around his door. i think that's why we trade back up for him.

Ward was actually far from the 2nd rated safety in the draft. He was no where close to being ranked as high as Berry and Thomas, which was why at best most mocks had him going in the 3rd, if not in the 4th or lower.

If you check out Phil Taylor's facebook pictures you will notice two interesting Browns connections:

A man who appears to be his Dad wearing a Jim Brown jersey, and lots of pictures of Joe Haden on Spring Break.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/profile.php?id=9378961&sk=photos

Zombo

How High and Half Baked are in his "liked" movies. I hope he lays off of the munchies and has plenty of clean pee in reserve.

I will give him credit for Having Boyz in the Hood and Juice favorited however.

Browns snag Phil Taylor ahead of Jets

By Rich CiminiWe're into the 20s at the NFL, and the Jets just lost one of their targets -- NT Phil Taylor. The Browns, dropped to 27th in an earlier trade, moved up and grabbed the 335-pound lineman at 21. They made a deal with the Chiefs to take Taylor.

I absolutely LOVE this pick. For too long, the Browns' dline has been maleable. With Rubin and Taylor manning the middle, teams will have no choice but

to run wide, or simply get themselves planted into the turf somewhere between the backfield and the los.

Come on, the move is designed to quelch the up the middle crap. Like qb sneaks, qb planned scrambles, and draws.

That enables the lb's to anticipate the offense's running game far more easily. It has to worry the qb s in the passing game. These two guys can and

will collapse the pocket, and squeeze plays right into the hands of the DE's and Lb's.

Taylor is a man mountain the Browns badly needed. Come on, the draft is one pick old, the Browns have extra picks, somebody somewhere

wants to whine and pout about other needs? Watch the rest of the draft.

The Browns know what they're doing, and who they are targeting. Defenses and Offenses must control the los. Plain and simple.

And, the extra picks are HUGE, HUGE, HUGE. Two picks in the second round tonight will outweigh the 2nd and 3rd we used to have in a big way.

Wait and see. This is exciting stuff !!!

Browns snag Phil Taylor ahead of Jets

By Rich CiminiWe're into the 20s at the NFL, and the Jets just lost one of their targets -- NT Phil Taylor. The Browns, dropped to 27th in an earlier trade, moved up and grabbed the 335-pound lineman at 21. They made a deal with the Chiefs to take Taylor.

I absolutely LOVE this pick. For too long, the Browns' dline has been maleable. With Rubin and Taylor manning the middle, teams will have no choice but

to run wide, or simply get themselves planted into the turf somewhere between the backfield and the los.

Come on, the move is designed to quelch the up the middle crap. Like qb sneaks, qb planned scrambles, and draws.

That enables the lb's to anticipate the offense's running game far more easily. It has to worry the qb s in the passing game. These two guys can and

will collapse the pocket, and squeeze plays right into the hands of the DE's and Lb's.

Taylor is a man mountain the Browns badly needed. Come on, the draft is one pick old, the Browns have extra picks, somebody somewhere

wants to whine and pout about other needs? Watch the rest of the draft.

The Browns know what they're doing, and who they are targeting. Defenses and Offenses must control the los. Plain and simple.

And, the extra picks are HUGE, HUGE, HUGE. Two picks in the second round tonight will outweigh the 2nd and 3rd we used to have in a big way.

Wait and see. This is exciting stuff !!!

No way!!! I refuse to believe that our FO knew more than some posters here on this internet forum. There is no way, I tell ya.

WTF guys....who is this guy?

He's had a lot of buss on my Steeler board for over a month now. Dubbed as a possible Hampton replacement. Good pick if you ask me, especially if you consider the other acquired picks with that trade down. I'm surprised there aren't more draftniks on this board. My Steeler board is full of them. It's actually almost boring because of it. I pretty much just read over that way.

Dude rodgers was cut and signed by the saints a few months back....rubin is the only legit dl we have at the moment

Thanks slimdog. I tend to stop paying attention to Browns news until free agency. I didn't even know Big Baby was gone. That does make the pick even better.

If its true the foot issues were fabricated (what would motivate someone to do that?) and that someone was going to take him at 21, then I'm good with it. I still think we could of had him at 27 and kept the pick in the 3rd. (Our 3rd round pick by the way was 70, the pick we got from falcons is 57 am I wrong?) So we moved down from 6 to 21, and moved up from 70 to 57. + a 4th rounder, a 1st and 4th next year. Not bad at all BUT we could of used that 3rd round pick....

Well once again the Chiefs thought they might be able to get him still at 27 so that's why they made the trade and it was also reported the the Ravens at 26 really liked him as well.

The 3rd round pick we gave the Chiefs as ammo to move up from 27 to 21..

Turned out to be Houston, the LB from Georgia, who most mocks had as a first-round talent.

It depends on who you talk to. I saw alot that had him rated early to mid 2nd round. Regardless he fell because failing his drug test at the combine. Ya is sucks because you can say "hey we could have had that guy" but really it's more like we could have had anyone at the point and one in the draft, you don't know who it could have been. What ever I'm glad we got who we got.

Also I don't know if you guys know this but he was in alot of spring break photos with Haden because they both grew up in D.C. and played football against each other. Taylor said they have already been in contact with each other and they are both really excited about getting to play together.

Most questionable move: Giving a pick away to select DT Phil Taylor

It's not a terrible reach to take Taylor, but they might not have had to give up a third-round pick to get him. He's not a great fit as he's better as a 3-4 nose tackle. Defensive coordinator Dick Jauron will get the most out of Taylor's ability and the Browns obviously values him in their scheme, but he also comes with some questions about his character. With the Little pick, two of their first three picks have red flags.

I know alot of people are saying that he isn't the right guy because of his size, but if that was the case then Pat Shurmer wouldn't have told Taylor to stop losing weight. During there interview that said that they liked where his weight was at right now. If they wanted someone lighter they they wouldn't have drafted him. As far as reaching goes, alot of teams were looking at this guy. Chiefs thought they could possibly get him at 27 so they made the trade, Heckert thought that Philly would take him (he knows what kind of guys Reid likes) and at 26 the Ravens could have looked at him and thought that he was less of a gamble than Jimmy Smith. But as I said before I am going to wait to be critical on all of these guys. I look at all of our picks from the 1st round to the 7th and I can honestly see them ALL being on the active roster, with 4-5 being starters right away and two contributing in more than just special teams. But that's just me and what I can see right now with these guys. After FA we I could be thinking differently, and after training camp/preseason/and the first few weeks of the season I could be saying this is the worst draft 10 years so who really knows right now.

I know alot of people are saying that he isn't the right guy because of his size, but if that was the case then Pat Shurmer wouldn't have told Taylor to stop losing weight. During there interview that said that they liked where his weight was at right now. If they wanted someone lighter they they wouldn't have drafted him. As far as reaching goes, alot of teams were looking at this guy. Chiefs thought they could possibly get him at 27 so they made the trade, Heckert thought that Philly would take him (he knows what kind of guys Reid likes) and at 26 the Ravens could have looked at him and thought that he was less of a gamble than Jimmy Smith. But as I said before I am going to wait to be critical on all of these guys. I look at all of our picks from the 1st round to the 7th and I can honestly see them ALL being on the active roster, with 4-5 being starters right away and two contributing in more than just special teams. But that's just me and what I can see right now with these guys. After FA we I could be thinking differently, and after training camp/preseason/and the first few weeks of the season I could be saying this is the worst draft 10 years so who really knows right now.

You're right, the draft is one big crap shoot & this draft was not loaded with a bunch of "can't miss" guys. If this pick works out, we have just plugged the leak in the middle, allowing more risk taking disruption from the outside as opposed to "staying at home" & seeing what happens. Have we moved from a "reactionary" type defense to an aggressive D that forces mistakes? Time will tell.

Now let's get on to some FOOTBALL!!!

Mike

I would love to see the look on his face when Holmgren says "here is the situation when we need you to play. You will be playing when the other team has the ball"

Hillis iz boss, good info on the positives. Knowing that he lost weight at Baylor makes me feel much better although now I am a little concerned that when he gets his truckload of money things could change

At first, I didn't like this pick. Then again, I didn't like last year's entire draft and the new Browns management proved me wrong on that one - it may have been our best in the new era. And who knows, this year's draft could be another great one. I certainly hope so.

But with regards to Taylor, there is no way he is chosen that high by H&H unless they were absolutely salavating over his films, his interview, and his workouts. Also, this group is well connected in the world of college football/scouting and the first round is as much a science as it is an art for them. Yes, nobody picks first round winners 100% of the time, but H&H have earned my trust and respect. And if it meant a 3rd round draft pick to guarantee taylor, then so be it. I wouldn't be surprised if he exceeds our expectations just like Haiden did last year.

Also, the trade down tells me the following. There were only so many elite players on the board. After this list was gone, there was probably another tier of 30 players - any of which would be immediate starters but not necessarily elite caliber. So when this elite group was gone and they had a chance for a trade for two first rounders next year, they went for it - especially feeling that you've got the best secret in the draft anyway. That's just smart.

First I find it funny how every one just assumes that he has a conditioning problem just because of his size. This guy played 80 snaps a game last season which is twice as many snaps as Nick Fairley who ironically isn't ever mentioned to have conditioning problems. This guy actually has great stamina and athleticism for someone his size. One of his coaches from Baylor said that if he was 150 pounds lighter he would be the best WR in the Big 12 lol.

Archived