THE BROWNS BOARD

Phil Taylor

TheClevelandSound

We gave up a third round pick to move UP 6 spots to take a player that we could have had at the same position (27). KC took a WR!! Everything GOOD we did by making the Atlanta trade was lost when we lost our 3rd round pick.

Let's pray we can nail our 2nd round picks (unless we blow them again ala Robo and MoMass).

Or pray we have a F/A plan.

1. You have no idea if Taylor would have been there at 27. Obviously our FO thought he wouldn't. No offense but I'll defer to them in that respect.

2. Trading a 3rd some how negates picking up an extra 1st, 2nd, and two 4ths? Seems reasonable. :rolleyes:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Chiefs were slotted to have Taylor, why did they give up the pick?

If the Raven's eventually drafted Jimmy Smith, then why did they try to get a trade together with the 26 pick to only take so long that they lost it? WHO KNOWS. Maybe the Chiefs had two guys graded the same so they decided to let us have the one so they could get a draft pick and the other guy they wanted.

KC was going to take this guy. Taylor was by far the #1 NT at the senior bowl. A run-stopping DT in the middle of the line is what we've needed since Rogers was cut, and this guy is the best in the draft at that task.

Browns D has been horrible against the run since the trucks left for Baltimore. This is a good move.

We also get an extra pick tomorrow (2nd) and next year's first.

all I can say buddy is that i'm sure glad you post on a browns forum and don't run our team. Like I'm not going to be a dick, but honestly man you just need to digest the situation a little bit an realize just how good we made out. Bowers clearly wasn't first round talent, and if Heckert and Holmgren saw Taylor as the player they wanted they made the right decision. you have NO idea what info they had about Taylor's draft position, I guarantee they knew that he wasn't going to be there at 27. That was their guy, and they've done nothing to prove to me that they make bad decisions

All I know is we better draft at least one WR tomorrow. I know thats an ignorant statement, but I hope our organization sees the need at WR like us fans do.

Phil Taylor/Heckert Interview

Answers some questions. Expected to be used on all passing downs while having a smaller guy come in on some passing downs for one of our big guys. Keeps our two middle men fresh, and makes our rush defense instantly better. The guy cried. I like him.

Also those injury concerns with his foot are false. The rumor was that he has a disorder where the bones in his foot fuse together, but all the doctors from the NFL and for the Browns did all the X-Rays and said those claims were 100% false.

Phil Taylor Positives

If you read this you will find some things that can make you like the kid. I thought they said that he lost over 40 pounds since the end of the season, but apparently he lost it over his 3 year career at Baylor, which actually impresses me more because it means he was constantly losing the weight while also keeping it off. Also people knock him on his stamina, also in his 3 years at Baylor he was never in trouble and eventually became an honor role student which shows he has put those character issues behind him.

Most impressive to me is that people knock him on his stamina, but he still played on average 80 snaps a game his senior season. Fairley only averaged 35-40 snaps last year.

LOL WHAT HIB??!?!?!!?!?!?!? We used our 1st round pick on a situational defensive lineman??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

maybe you should research the pick before you knock it

phil taylor was the best NT available...he was probably the 3rd best DT in the draft and you got him at 21.....be thankful there is finally some stability on the defensive line

or maybe you forgot that in a 4-3 you need at least 2 DTs on the field at any given time

My short-sightedness? Maybe your dumb xxxxing ass missed the link I posted above? Didn't catch that one eh?

Are you referring to the link where he was an injury concern? The same concern that was debunked by our GM in the other link? It is fun watching an idiot who thinks he is intelligent.

Late in the draft process, a rumor surfaced that Taylor had an unusual foot condition in which bones were growing together. But X-rays dispelled the rumor and he was given a clean bill of health.

"Just rumors, that's all it was," he said. "A couple of teams later [in the draft] threw some things out there so they might be able to get me."

Heckert said, "It's no issue whatsoever."

Just like Bowers knee was "cleared 100%" but every team passed on him too. We'll see. Trading up and losing a pick still doesn't make sense when there is plenty of talent on the board still. Regardless dude, we could have had a quality player at a position of need at 27, picked a DT at 37, and kept our 3rd round pick.

Don't obsess about that lost third round pick- there's ways to get it back you know- Like trade the second rounder from Atlanta down, trade the fourth rounders up for starters.

I'll have to agree- the Browns run D has sucked forever- and it needed to be addressed.

Obviously there's a whole lot of concern over Bowers knee, or he'd have been off the board long ago. Remains to be seen what we'll do @ wr,because the top three prospects are gone.

Taylor & Rubin give us two big presences in the interior DL. This gives us a lot of flexibility in who & how we play our DEs & LBs. Too often, we have had a "player" playing next to a "weakness". It looks to me as we are attempting to build this D "inside-out" & that ain't all bad...at least in my opinion it's a positive. Let's see what the next 2 days add to the mix. I think we'll be just fine.

Mike

No matter what the Browns ever do there will always be plenty of "fans" ready and willing to bitch and moan about it. No one knows if ANY pick is a good pick until after the player has had a chance to actually play the game for a while.

We have to deal with being pissed off and be in a bad mood all xxxxing season every year with our awesome records, so can't we just be optimistic for our team building up in the off season and addressing key needs?

Here is an accurate representation of myself reading this thread

facepalm.jpg

wow, I seriously thought I'd come back and see nothing but praise about the browns managed to do here. Guys, we had desperate need at DE, DT and WR. we can't fill all those friking picks with one. Phil Taylor has been nothing but solid and will be a starter from day one. We got a 2nd rounder and a first round pick next year to trade away from an extremely risky wide receiver, and took a solid DT which was an obvious need. I swear it's like if we don't take the flashy guy that has his name spit out by mcshay or kiper it's a "bad pick". It's kind of sad you guys don't trust that Holmgren and Heckert don't know what they're doing here. Like do you realize how deep the DE pool is this year people? This is the deepest DE pools in years, we will be able to a strong player to fill that need i'm sure of it.

Great pick, great trade, go browns!

Really? They can't? The Browns suck and will suck for 100 years because they didn't draft that one guy who could have played all three positions. They really needed that guy who can play De, DT, and WR. What a shitty draft, now the Browns will never make the Superbowl next year. They were only one player (who could play DE, DT, and WR) away from going to the superbowl. Now I think I'll just go and root for the Steelers.

Really? They can't? The Browns suck and will suck for 100 years because they didn't draft that one guy who could have played all three positions. They really needed that guy who can play De, DT, and WR. What a shitty draft, now the Browns will never make the Superbowl next year. They were only one player (who could play DE, DT, and WR) away from going to the superbowl. Now I think I'll just go and root for the Steelers.

wow, I seriously hope that was worth the time you wasted writing that. I'm so dumb cause I honestly thought that until you cleared it up! like really dude? I was clearly making a point that people can never see the big picture in a draft and if they don't get the guy all over the news it's a bad pick. The point is that you don't make a growing team better with one pick that encompasses all the needs of the team in the first round. But I will clearly go to your expert knowledge from now on since you are so in the know and can actually read what people write so well! thanks man for the contribution

wow, I seriously hope that was worth the time you wasted writing that. I'm so dumb cause I honestly thought that until you cleared it up! like really dude? I was clearly making a point that people can never see the big picture in a draft and if they don't get the guy all over the news it's a bad pick. The point is that you don't make a growing team better with one pick that encompasses all the needs of the team in the first round. But I will clearly go to your expert knowledge from now on since you are so in the know and can actually read what people write so well! thanks man for the contribution

This is why the ignore feature is AWESOME!

I think Taylor is going to be one of those guys that you don't really hear much about on the broadcast, but he will eat up the trenches... Something that is needed after Shaun Rogers' departure.

I am just hoping for some big pick-ups in Round 2 today...

Otherwise, I think the Browns are going to make some big moves in Free Agency.... Asomugha is my hope, assuming the Jets don't out bid us.

This is why the ignore feature is AWESOME!

I think Taylor is going to be one of those guys that you don't really hear much about on the broadcast, but he will eat up the trenches... Something that is needed after Shaun Rogers' departure.

I am just hoping for some big pick-ups in Round 2 today...

Otherwise, I think the Browns are going to make some big moves in Free Agency.... Asomugha is my hope, assuming the Jets don't out bid us.

haha yea, I mean if FA opens before the draft the second round is going to be crazy for sure. As I said earlier, with the depth of the DE class this year there's still plenty of talent available to take with either pick in the second round. I think we could see either DE/WR taken top of the 2nd round, and a trade up in mid second to get the other piece of the puzzle. The ideal picks for me would be Brooks Reed and Hankerson, but as stated I trust what Heckert and Holmgren are trying to do.

dude.. I was being sarcastic. I actually agree with you, I think it's funny how so many people on here think that the Browns are one playmaker away from being in the super bowl or something. The Browns pretty much need a player at EVERY position.

Is the second rounder they got from Atlanta this year's or next year's?

H&H really seem to know what they are doing. I'm very pleased with the extra picks they are getting. A team with needs at nearly every position needs the most picks it can get.

This year.

I wouldn't qualify Taylor as a Ward, just because he actually went in his projected range, which was 20-32. He wasn't some unknown who was supposed to go in the 3rd or 4th. He was one of the top people in the draft at his position. Ward on the other hand was projected to at best be a mid 3rd round pick, while other mock drafts like Walterfootbal had him going in the 6th round.

Archived