THE BROWNS BOARD

Phil Taylor

TheClevelandSound

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have nobody on the roster beside Rubin at DT, and after Shaun Rogers was let go this is an essential pick. The Chiefs were going to take him at this position.

The Ravens aren't as good without Ngata, likewise the Steelers without Casey Hampton

From the ESPN review of him: "Taylor possesses rare size and athleticism at 6-3 and 334 pounds. He also has nimble feet and above-average range to make some plays outside the tackle box."

Who ever he is, he was actually at the draft, so he was projected to possibly go in the 1st roud. We need a big boy up front, and we can still trade the Atlanta next year to get back into the 1st.

From nfl.com analysis:

Strengths

Taylor possesses rare size, has impressive strength, and good speed considering his weight. Very effective anchor at the point of the attack against the run and can take on the double team. Can be effective using the bull rush, coming off the ball and displays a jarring initial hand punch.

Weaknesses

Can play high at times. Won't chase down many plays or make many tackles outside the box. Doesn't have the first-stop quickness to consistently penetrate. Stamina is a concern. Has he has a tendency to wear down late in games and during long drives. Has some off-the-field issues and was dismissed from Penn State.

phil taylor is a stud. hes the top NT prospect in the draft

everything starts from the inside out and phil taylor will definitly be the inside

he was on a lot of teams boards from 22 to 32 and there was very little chance you would've been able to get him at 27 considering i heard the saints were "VERY INTERESTED"

the only reason nobody has heard of him is because you guys all talked about the top 10 prospects in the draft but never considered the picks later in the round which is where it was obvious you'd be picking anyway considering its been a few years since the browns drafted at their original position

From nfl.com analysis:

Strengths

Taylor possesses rare size, has impressive strength, and good speed considering his weight. Very effective anchor at the point of the attack against the run and can take on the double team. Can be effective using the bull rush, coming off the ball and displays a jarring initial hand punch.

Weaknesses

Can play high at times. Won't chase down many plays or make many tackles outside the box. Doesn't have the first-stop quickness to consistently penetrate. Stamina is a concern. Has he has a tendency to wear down late in games and during long drives. Has some off-the-field issues and was dismissed from Penn State.

Leatherhead, I think that the stamina is a huge concern and that leads to injuries. He plays too high a lot and I've seen lesser OL handle him. What the hell is Pouncey going to do to him?

We have nobody on the roster beside Rubin at DT, and after Shaun Rogers was let go this is an essential pick. The Chiefs were going to take him at this position.

The Ravens aren't as good without Ngata, likewise the Steelers without Casey Hampton

From the ESPN review of him: "Taylor possesses rare size and athleticism at 6-3 and 334 pounds. He also has nimble feet and above-average range to make some plays outside the tackle box."

He must not have been that great if KC decided to trade for a 3rd round and to move to a #27.

Leatherhead, I think that the stamina is a huge concern and that leads to injuries. He plays too high a lot and I've seen lesser OL handle him. What the hell is Pouncey going to do to him?

stamina is a concern for all DTs

because every single play they get beat up by a guy just as big and probably stronger than them......often times they get beat up by 2 guys that are of equal or greater size

i always think its funny when people rip on defensive linemen for not being able to go every single play....maybe those people should spend a couple plays gettin blown up by a 6'4" 300lb center before they make any rash decisions about how much they think a defensive tackle should play

Boy, I'm sure glad a lot of you aren't our GM................ "I haven't heard the 'draft gurus' hype this guy for the last 2 months, so he must suck". Maybe we should just have Mel Kiper run our draft, that way, the fan base won't run around crying.

wow, I seriously thought I'd come back and see nothing but praise about the browns managed to do here. Guys, we had desperate need at DE, DT and WR. we can't fill all those friking picks with one. Phil Taylor has been nothing but solid and will be a starter from day one. We got a 2nd rounder and a first round pick next year to trade away from an extremely risky wide receiver, and took a solid DT which was an obvious need. I swear it's like if we don't take the flashy guy that has his name spit out by mcshay or kiper it's a "bad pick". It's kind of sad you guys don't trust that Holmgren and Heckert don't know what they're doing here. Like do you realize how deep the DE pool is this year people? This is the deepest DE pools in years, we will be able to a strong player to fill that need i'm sure of it.

Great pick, great trade, go browns!

I'm not to interested in how other teams had him ranked. I am looking at how he will fit into our lineup and the whole scheme of things. The man has been reported at weighing in at 380 which may be to heavy for a man with feet problems like he has.

But at 380 any center will have trouble moving him around. If we can get a couple of good years out of him I will be happy with the pick. I'm more stoked about the trade that gave us so many opportunities in jump starting us.

phil taylor is a stud. hes the top NT prospect in the draft

everything starts from the inside out and phil taylor will definitly be the inside

he was on a lot of teams boards from 22 to 32 and there was very little chance you would've been able to get him at 27 considering i heard the saints were "VERY INTERESTED"

the only reason nobody has heard of him is because you guys all talked about the top 10 prospects in the draft but never considered the picks later in the round which is where it was obvious you'd be picking anyway considering its been a few years since the browns drafted at their original position

We are going to 4-3 so how does NT equate?????????????

I swear it's like if we don't take the flashy guy that has his name spit out by mcshay or kiper it's a "bad pick".

Great pick, great trade, go browns!

I won't disagree about buying into Kiper and McShay too much. Remember when Kiper ripped the Polians for not taking Trent Dilfer? I think that this guy COULD be good but if you're waiting for this guy to blow up the AFC North, you might be waiting a while. Time will certainly tell. I loved the trade down from #7 but I am not sure I see this guy as the guy you trade back up to get.

Obviously Heckert and Holmgren saw something they liked enough in this kid to do it. They make the $$$ to make that decision. I don't.

you'll never guess what defense he played in at baylor

i'll give you a hint.....it was a 4-3

you are too caught up on the label of the position....hes a DT that can play in both a 4-3 and a 3-4....just because hes bigger doesnt mean he cant play in a 4-3

in fact, its where his natural position is

In case you haven't noticed, but defenses in the NFL may be labeled as a 4-3, but during the course of a drive (much less a game) they will play a 4-3, 3-4, 46, nickel, dime or any hybrid of the afore mentioned. Forget the label.

just a quick tidbit on DE still available:

Brooks Reed: a fringe first round pick, strong player

Da'quan Bowers: Oh my God! I can't believe we didn't take him with that pick! he will never fall later and we missed out. That sounds so similar to colt mccoy it's scary really.

Justin Houston: I know he has character issues, but is a top 20 talent that's still available.

Man, it's almost our talented front office knows what they are doing...

I'm happy with our draft so far, and I'm getting more and more frustrated reading all the Negative Nellie's comments on a guy that hasn't even laced up a cleat yet...........Maybe we'll get a super sexy pick tomorrow to make some here happy. Later!

In the new 4-3 we are going to use smaller ends, so wouldn't make sense to have two huge DT's? This guy has done nothing but get better since he got into college and that not only includes his football talent but his character issues as well. Him and Rubin are going to be used to take two linemen at a time, freeing up one of the DE's or a LB on a pass rush. On the off chance they try to get this guy one on one... well my money is on Taylor.

Remember Heckert and Holmgren know things that we don't. They knew about Ward, which turned out good so once again before you start calling this guy a bust, you might as well just wait until the season starts and you see him work.

Im not mad at the pick. Im mad we had to trade up from 27 to get him. Bowers was more than adequate if Taylor was gone at 27.

DUMB.

all I can say buddy is that i'm sure glad you post on a browns forum and don't run our team. Like I'm not going to be a dick, but honestly man you just need to digest the situation a little bit an realize just how good we made out. Bowers clearly wasn't first round talent, and if Heckert and Holmgren saw Taylor as the player they wanted they made the right decision. you have NO idea what info they had about Taylor's draft position, I guarantee they knew that he wasn't going to be there at 27. That was their guy, and they've done nothing to prove to me that they make bad decisions

Archived