THE BROWNS BOARD

Who's Your Guy?

Zombo

Personally I wouldn't mind robert quinn. it would save me from having to throw out my brady quinn jersey.. I mean money wise it make sence.

Do you think they will sign him the #10? Or maybe they will give him 90 and you will just have to sew on a little extra fabric to the numeral.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guy, hmm tough one.. id probably go with mark wahlberg

You wouldn't believe this but my roommate never knew that Mark Wahlberg was Marky Mark from the Funky Bunch. Ha!

Accoriding to some reports, Heckert only has a two-player wish list: Green and Peterson.

If not, they're convinced the Browns will trade down.

My thoughts exactly.

I don't think they named who the two players are that he would go after at 6, but I agree that Peterson is one of them. I wouldn't be surprised if the other was Miller or Fairley.

On a side note even though I am in camp Peterson, if we traded back a few spots I would be in camp Ryan Kerrigan.

Kerrigan

I know I am very critical on most articles that come out of Bleacher Report, but this article does a great job of pointing out alot of positives about Kerrigan. He fits the bill for smaller fast DE that we are looking for, is a multi year starter with back to back 10+ sack seasons and he plays in the Big 10 which produces a very good share of NFL offensive linemen that he has had to compete against. Not to mention that he is also very intelligent and has the same 10 split time as Quinn. I would be more than happy with trading back a few spots to pick up more draft picks and then taking this guy.

I have had computer issues and lots of work lately, so I've missed some of the best draft threads ... so, what I want to know is: where does everybody stand on the first pick for the Browns?

Assuming the Browns don't move out for the #6 position, who is the guy that you don't pass on?

I am, and have always been, firmly in Camp Peterson.

The last time I set up a Camp Peterson, that guy turned out pretty good and I think Patrick is just as much a stud on the other side of the ball.

He has an unreal speed and size combination, incredible athleticism, great football insticts ... he's a game-changer and the best pure football player in the draft, imo.

We will never be less than 8-8 with Haden and Peterson on the corners because we will simply take away half of a team's playbook.

So I'm in Camp Peterson, as are some notable others ... who's your guy?

Zombo

as usual you do not get it.......we have no offense and offense wins championships simple as that.........so we need to get AC Green or Julius Jones which ever is availiable and take a RB or WR in round two as well......or just be committed to being stinky..........and draft D guys ...or dime a dozen OL guys

the reason why i want the browns to pick aj over peterson is because their wr corp is worse off than their secondary. from what i know of, aj and pat are both really good players. so what it comes down to for me is which one will be the bigger help for this team. you bring a guy like aj in and that makes mo mass, robo and cribbs jobs easier and they become more significant to the offense. remember how well mo mass played when be was here? with the browns secondary, if you bring in some d-line help with whom they already have, that will make the opposing qb's job harder with less time to throw. jmo, fellas.

as usual you do not get it.......we have no offense and offense wins championships simple as that.........so we need to get AC Green or Julius Jones which ever is availiable and take a RB or WR in round two as well......or just be committed to being stinky..........and draft D guys ...or dime a dozen OL guys

Not sure why im bothering but,

We have no D!

And since when are thomas and mack dime a dozen guys?

we have receivers that I feel can benifit with the change to the wco.

If you haven't noticed this is projected as the deepest defensive draft ever and as far as receivers and rb go its not even a blip on the radar. But you would rather pass up all the good talent on the defensive side of the ball for a receiver and a rb in the first 2 rounds?

Name 5 other receivers that you pedict will be all pro in this years draft, I will save it and revisit this a few years from now Mel.

As tempting as Peterson is id still go Aj Green then Peterson, if Green is gone then yeah i want Peterson...If there both gone then i say trade back and grab a DE in a later spot, someone mentioned Kerrigan hes not a bad fit neither is Corey Luiget or Muhammad Wilkerson.

If we stay put and both AJ and Peterson are gone and we have to take someone Then id say Quinn or Fairley, Jones is a Braylon Edwards Clone and ive seen that movie before and dont wanna see it again..

I like Peterson.

If he isn't there, I like Fairly...I like A DLman who will punch someone in the face every now and then.

Sometimes the message is worth 15 yards.

As tempting as Peterson is id still go Aj Green then Peterson, if Green is gone then yeah i want Peterson...If there both gone then i say trade back and grab a DE in a later spot.

agreed. i think this is the best move for the browns.

I wouldnt be dissapointed if we got Fairley but i wouldnt rate him higher than Peterson or Green for that matter..The other thing you need to factor in when you draft someone is who you think will be there in the 2nd round...

DTs that could and more than likely will be there in the 2nd, Paea,Austin,Nevis..Maybe Heyward or Clayborn...Thats simply why id go Green or Peterson in the First..You can get a first round grade DT in the 2nd..

I'm scared Peterson won't be there at 6. I'm convinced he won't get chosen in the top 4 (Cam Newton looks like he's pretty much a lock at #1), but Arizona is starting get a crush on him the same way Cleveland is.

damn it.

As for AJ Green, I have a hard time believing the Bengals pass up on him. He's too good to overlook.

I'm scared Peterson won't be there at 6. I'm convinced he won't get chosen in the top 4 (Cam Newton looks like he's pretty much a lock at #1), but Arizona is starting get a crush on him the same way Cleveland is.

damn it.

As for AJ Green, I have a hard time believing the Bengals pass up on him. He's too good to overlook.

Scared? Don't worry, be happy. Unless you're drafting #1 overall, you can't be concerned as to what may or may not happen before you pick. And I'll posit a couple of things:

1) Unless you've been in the Panthers, Cardinals, and Browns War Rooms, you know as much as I do about what those teams may, or may not do. Crush? This ain't teeny-bopper man love, this is the NFL. The Panthers need defense in a bad way, and Cam Newton is IMHO way too big a risk to take @ #1 overall. That said, I hope they do- moves everyone else down a slot.

2) The Browns will not move up in the draft- especially to draft a cornerback, because it's a certainty sitting put they're going to get a very good player.

3) I haven't been in the Bengals War room- but I will guarantee you this. Short of a massive brain fart or big time I'll-show-you who's boss by Mike Brown (which he's certainly capable of) the Stripers aren't taking AG Green. Bet on it, take it to the bank. Carson Palmer has played his last down for the Bengals, and the Cincinnati defense is in severe need of help. They'll take Fairley or one of the other DL @ #4. May even take Newton or Gabbert if they're on the board.

1) Yup, Schefter has pointed out Arizona and their crush on Peterson. Suck, but meh, I hope they take Gabbert. And Pretty much all the beat writers are convinced it'll be Newton to Carolina. I hope they take him, gives us a better chance at the elite prospects (I only see 4-5 in this draft).

2) I don't get why you said this? :S No one has stated the Browns should trade up for Peterson?

3) I also hope you're right on this count. The Bengals are worse off than the Browns right now. Their management is too stubborn, their QB has given up on the team, their WRs have gone loco, and their defense has seemingly regressed as well as the coaching. I wouldn't want to be a fan of that team right now. But like the Browns, you have to take the BPA, especially if that guy is a WR like AJ Green. Ocho and TO are pretty much irrelevant with that team's growth and outside of Shipley, there really is no threat. Trust me, I wouldn't put it past the Bengals to up and pick AJ Green.

Really? Our resident Steeler fan believes offense wins championships?

Did you pass this by Mean Joe, Blount, Lambert, Woodson, Harrison, Polamulo et al?

Steeler Super Bowl Seasons:

1974: Off #8 Def #1

1975: Off #7 Def #4

1978: Off #8 Def#3

1979: Off #1 Def #2

2005: Off #15 Def #4

2008 Off #22 Def #1

Defensive rankings: 1,4,3,2,4,1 Ave: #2.5

Offensive rankings: 8,7,8,1,15,22 Ave: #10.2

CLEARLY the Steelers stuck to the wise old phrase "offense wins championships"

In reality, you need a very good defense to compete for championships, it is proven over and over again. Of course, you need playmakers on offense, and if you have Drew Brees or Peyton Manning you can make it all the way if your defense rises to the occasion.

But let's look at the current Browns:

We invested a #1 at left Tackle, we invested a #1 at Center, and then we STOLE a franchise QB (trust me on this ... the Browns are buying in and so am I) in last year's draft and STOLE a lead running back by getting rid of a wasted 1st round pick spent on a QB.

Also, we invested two second rounders on WRs two years ago, and some times patience pays off: Robiskie was playing very well at the end of the season. Not to mention, we drafted Hillis' running mate, last year.

Our offense is young and talented. Do we need a true #1 wideout? Sure. Do we need to keep stockpiling talent every year? Sure. Do we HAVE to spend the #1 pick on offense this year? Hell No.

Don't be surprised if there is a surplus of defensive picks this year as we transition form 3-4 to 4-3. We are revamping the DL and the linebacking corps, and we need another corner, so why not bookend Hayden with the guy that I feel is the best football player in the draft? I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns feel that way either.

However ... if we end up with an A.J. Green or a Julio Jones I will have a big smile across my face ... or one of the blue chip Defensive linemen ...I think we are in perfect position this year. Some teams are going to reach on a QB and we are going to have a Top 5 player in a position of need fall right into our lap. It seems that many years where we held a high pick it wasn't a great draft (for example, the Courtney Brown and Braylon Edwards years) ... but this year, we can't go wrong ... we will get a game-changer.

Zombo

Steeler Super Bowl Seasons:

1974: Off #8 Def #1

1975: Off #7 Def #4

1978: Off #8 Def#3

1979: Off #1 Def #2

2005: Off #15 Def #4

2008 Off #22 Def #1

Bottom line is that you generally need quality balance to be a championship team. Most championship winning teams throughout history I would wager probably were in the Top Ten both offensively and defensively. A few aberrations certainly may occur, but they are probably rare.

The accompanying thing is this: the Browns need talent on BOTH sides of the ball to bring them to where both their offense and defense are ranked in the top ten. Last year their offense ranked 29th and their defense ranked 22d in the league. Unless they are so dominant on one side of the ball such that we can say that we don't need to bring in talent there, I suggest they take "the best player available" no matter which side of the ball he is on. If that is a WR, fine, if it is a CB or DL, fine. We need it all. Lets get the best we can get when it is our turn regardless of his position

Not sure why im bothering but,

We have no D!

And since when are thomas and mack dime a dozen guys?

we have receivers that I feel can benifit with the change to the wco.

If you haven't noticed this is projected as the deepest defensive draft ever and as far as receivers and rb go its not even a blip on the radar. But you would rather pass up all the good talent on the defensive side of the ball for a receiver and a rb in the first 2 rounds?

Name 5 other receivers that you pedict will be all pro in this years draft, I will save it and revisit this a few years from now Mel.

Thanks for August Post Mel. Now I might add a few tidbits, the average score of the winning Super Bowl team is 31 points. That says the team that finishes second got its defense shredded in the big game. See Aaron Rodgers destroying the Steelers D. Also, there are lot of undrafted or released FA OL guys starting and playing well on a lot of teams. The Steelers had at least two playing in the Super Bowl. And GB probably had at least one as well. Now before going with conventional unwisdom and throwing me under the bus, think about a few things. First off, if you get behind, how is a defense going to win a game. Second, only RB's, QB, WR's TE's and the center touch the ball. Those skill players and solid center are the core of a championship football team. These are the guys who make offenses go as opposed to conventional unwisdom. These are the guys who pound susposed championship defenses when the talent is supreme. We are pathetic at WR, and if you think a West Coast Offense that is pop gun wil work you are mistaken. You need receivers who stretch the field in any successful offense. John Taylor and Jerry Rice were always deep threats in the SF well run WCO. And Philly which is running it now has real field stretchers. Now consider our RB situation, we are one injury or bad season to Peyton Hillis from having nothing at RB. We need two more players at RB who can perform. I am also concerned that Hillis is another Rueben Droughs who was successful more for heart that talent last year. Teams will be more ready for him this year especially if we do not add a quality WR or two.

We are set at center and LT, so drafing an OL guy with the top pick would be rather stupid. We have sufficient talent at TE, we have a QB who appears to get it and have potential to win

Our Dline and LB's are marginal at best and need a lot of work to be quality in a 4-3 D. This is work in progress as we need to restructure for pass rushing DE's and LB's who fit the scheme as well. As Hoorta said we got Joe Haden last year and using two top firsts on DB's when the offense is really really weak at the skill positions would be foolish.

This year is going to hopefully be a turning point and perhaps a 9-7 season if we focus on offensive skill players. If we focus on restructuring a defense that is marginal we will still have a pathetic offense in 2012.

Time to work on getting skill players who SCORE TDS. At least we will be competitive if we can score. Get Offense First and then keep tweaking the D such that it can keep the opponent score reasonable.

AJ Green could be an amazing pro, if he is there take him, if not take Jones, he can be the real deal as well. If you cannot score you cannot win

One final thing the Cleveland Browns for their first 44 years were a team based on Offense. They won 8 championships and were always in the playoffs. And not a single one of those Championships teams was considered a defensive juggernaout rather they were considered Offensive Powerhouses. The dawg pound ( i use small letters because i wish it did not exist) was invented by Hanford Dixon in the late eighties. He and Frank Minnifield were great corners. Only problem was the Browns were still an offensive minded team lead by Kosar and Slaughter and Mack and Byner and Reggie Langhorne and Ozzie Newsome. Both lines were really band aid projects but they had those two great corners on D and two solid Inside LB's in the Johnsons. The 1964 Team was the second best offense in football and a marginal D. The point I am making is we have made the Dawg Pound iconic and Defense over embraced by Browns fans such that they forgot what really wins championships. But the majority of NFL fans think the same way wrongly so. I wish we would replace the dawg pound with something offensive minded to get the fans back to thinking how the Browns became a storied franchise before turning into a stinkied franchise.

I rest my case100% confidence that I get it.

Remember once more D does not score points and D cannot drive you down the field at the end of a game when you are losing. Only superior offense keeps scoring to keep you ahead

For the Gipper, I generally agree with best talent approach if you are already a solid team. But if you are weak everywhere, then I say make building a quaility offense the priority. We spent a lot of money on three OL guys and ranked 29 on O. It does not start in the trenches, it starts with playmakers.

For the Gipper, I generally agree with best talent approach if you are already a solid team. But if you are weak everywhere, then I say make building a quaility offense the priority. We spent a lot of money on three OL guys and ranked 29 on O. It does not start in the trenches, it starts with playmakers.

Well, there is no doubt the Browns need offensive playmakers. Of course that often starts and ends at the QB position. Many supposedly in the know think that having a great QB will make up for mediocrity at the rest of the offensive skill positions. They point out Brady with what he has around him with the Pats, and Manning with what he has around him with the Colts. Can a QB be that critical? Perhaps. Is Colt McCoy that kind of player? Who knows.

Nevertheless, I am not necessarily willing to take just any old offensive player if a far better defensive player is available.

Every NFL team has its "board" with its rating of the respective talent of the players.

I can gurarantee you that if Tom Heckart, picking at #6 sees AJ Green gone, and on his board he sees Julio Jones, which their scouting department say ranks 20th overall, and they have Nick Fairly there at 6, whom they maybe have rated the 5th, 6th, 7th best player, they are going to take Fairly, regardless of how much we think they need offensive help. If Patrick Peterson is ranked 2d or 3rd on their board and he falls to them at #6, they will probably grab him even though CB may not be a position of vast need for them as would be the DL or WR position.

That is how I expect this would work.

I am actually anxious to see the special tonight on ESPN where Bill Parcells describes how this all works in an NFL war room.

We have to go D this year to stop those in our division. We play Bal and Pit at the very end of the season and it will be very cold and there will be lots of running by them. We need to pressure better, and we need great run support. To many holes on our D not to take a DE or DT or LB or CB with our first 2 picks. With a new scheme to our O I think our current wr's will be able to score just fine. Colt will have had a lot more time with the guys to get their timing down. Oh ya one last thing if Jake is on our roster at the begining of the year, the we deserve to lose, he throws more tds to the other team than his own.

1-Quinn, Fairley, Watt

2-Clayborn, Paea, Hayward

3-Jerrell Jernagin wr- This guy is a Steve smith clone he dont run a 4.3 but has amazing speed changes and superb shiftiness.

As much as I want to get petterson, I think Eric Wright will bounce back this year. He will battle Haden for the number 1 spot. Our D line needs to get beefed up, but I also just remembered that we still have Matt Roth on our team for next year, he will be a killer on the DE spot in the 4-3.

Don't be surprised if there is a surplus of defensive picks this year as we transition form 3-4 to 4-3. We are revamping the DL and the linebacking corps, and we need another corner, so why not bookend Hayden with the guy that I feel is the best football player in the draft? I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns feel that way either.

However ... if we end up with an A.J. Green or a Julio Jones I will have a big smile across my face ... or one of the blue chip Defensive linemen ...I think we are in perfect position this year. Some teams are going to reach on a QB and we are going to have a Top 5 player in a position of need fall right into our lap. It seems that many years where we held a high pick it wasn't a great draft (for example, the Courtney Brown and Braylon Edwards years) ... but this year, we can't go wrong ... we will get a game-changer.

Zombo

Well, not to disagree with ya Z, but IMHO the Browns will only take Peterson if Green or Fairley are still on the board is if they have Peterson rated head and shoulders above the other two (I don't- but we'll see). I have the Browns greatest needs as Stud wr and top front 7 defender as 1A and 1B. Heckert isn't just thinking as to who will be there @ #6- you have to consider who may be there in the second round. The odds of a top defensive lineman being there @ #37 are far better than a top wr (those odds are about zero as Green and Jones the only blue chip wrs in this draft) will be long gone by then.

Now if the Browns trade back & get Julio Jones and an extra second round pick- that would make me very happy- though I think @ wr Green is the safer pick. Finally, I can't remember which draft pundit said it- but here's what he posited- and I 100% agree. "There is no team in the NFL that needs A G Green more than the Cleveland Browns."

Well, there is no doubt the Browns need offensive playmakers. Of course that often starts and ends at the QB position. Many supposedly in the know think that having a great QB will make up for mediocrity at the rest of the offensive skill positions. They point out Brady with what he has around him with the Pats, and Manning with what he has around him with the Colts. Can a QB be that critical? Perhaps. Is Colt McCoy that kind of player? Who knows.

Nevertheless, I am not necessarily willing to take just any old offensive player if a far better defensive player is available.

Every NFL team has its "board" with its rating of the respective talent of the players.

I can gurarantee you that if Tom Heckart, picking at #6 sees AJ Green gone, and on his board he sees Julio Jones, which their scouting department say ranks 20th overall, and they have Nick Fairly there at 6, whom they maybe have rated the 5th, 6th, 7th best player, they are going to take Fairly, regardless of how much we think they need offensive help. If Patrick Peterson is ranked 2d or 3rd on their board and he falls to them at #6, they will probably grab him even though CB may not be a position of vast need for them as would be the DL or WR position.

That is how I expect this would work.

I am actually anxious to see the special tonight on ESPN where Bill Parcells describes how this all works in an NFL war room.

Too bad we don't have that "thanks" button anymore Gips- my feelings exactly.

Guys give it a rest you can win a Super Bowl both ways with a tremendous Offense or a Tremendous Defense...Its been done with both so arguing over which is needed is pretty much a stupid dicussion seeing how theres points for both sides of the argument..

I agree we Need AJ Green and think 6 is a reach for Jones...

Imange if that trade talk is true we take Peterson at 6 and then Jones at 12 from Minnesota..

And btw the Cardinals are really getting hot on the Peterson bus, id be pretty pissed if The Bungles took Green and then Peterson went to the Cardinals...If thats the case just trade back and take Cam Jordan or Ryan Kerrigan...

The reason the trade back could be had is because if the Bengals take Green and Cardinals take Peterson that means Gabbert is on the Board, which if i were the Browns would be acution his ass off to the highest bidder and move back a bit..Washington,Tennessee,Minnesota any of them may wannna leap frog SF to grab him

Guys give it a rest you can win a Super Bowl both ways with a tremendous Offense or a Tremendous Defense...Its been done with both so arguing over which is needed is pretty much a stupid dicussion seeing how theres points for both sides of the argument..

It has been a ton more often when a team has BOTH a tremendous offense and a tremendous defense. That was my point.I agree we Need AJ Green and think 6 is a reach for Jones...

Imange if that trade talk is true we take Peterson at 6 and then Jones at 12 from Minnesota..

And btw the Cardinals are really getting hot on the Peterson bus, id be pretty pissed if The Bungles took Green and then Peterson went to the Cardinals...If thats the case just trade back and take Cam Jordan or Ryan Kerrigan...

The reason the trade back could be had is because if the Bengals take Green and Cardinals take Peterson that means Gabbert is on the Board, which if i were the Browns would be acution his ass off to the highest bidder and move back a bit..Washington,Tennessee,Minnesota any of them may wannna leap frog SF to grab him

Archived