THE BROWNS BOARD

Help please

First off, I want to say that as long as Randy Lerner owns the team I am not going to have confidence in any decision that he makes....period. His track record is horrible. Let's hope that he makes the right decision for the sake of all of us.

Now to my question. When the Steelers hired Mike Tomlin, did they mandate to him that Dick LeBeau was going to be his defensive coordinator? It doesn't sound like the right thing to do for a new head coach not to be albe to hire his staff. It seems to be that you would be undermining his authority from day one.

I bring this up b/c if Pioli is hired and he believes that McDaniels is the second coming would it be wise to dictate to him his staff?

First off, I want to say that as long as Randy Lerner owns the team I am not going to have confidence in any decision that he makes....period. His track record is horrible. Let's hope that he makes the right decision for the sake of all of us.

Now to my question. When the Steelers hired Mike Tomlin, did they mandate to him that Dick LeBeau was going to be his defensive coordinator? It doesn't sound like the right thing to do for a new head coach not to be albe to hire his staff. It seems to be that you would be undermining his authority from day one.

I bring this up b/c if Pioli is hired and he believes that McDaniels is the second coming would it be wise to dictate to him his staff?

Im pretty sure Lebeau wasnt going anywhere and im sure Tomlin knew that when he came in.

like dawg pound said, i'm sure that there was at least an unstated understanding that the steelers have the best defensive coordinator in football and didn't want to let him go.

however, i recall early interviews with tomlin and him saying how excited he was to work with lebeau. he's a living legend in today's NFL and any young coach should value the opportunity to work with such an innovative, creative mind, something that tomlin certainly has done.

lebeau also said that he learned from tomlin and incorporated some cover 2 philosophies into their 3-4.

it's a relationship of equals. tomlin definitely knew that lebeau wasn't going anywhere, but, while that's contrary to the way coaches typically build their staffs, lebeau is part of the steeler identity. there's no way they were going to let him go.

I think Tomlin respected him enough to not rock the boat, think he would turn it down (the job because of one legendary coach that the management wants) he knew the Steelers success, and Defense rep. and worse case senerio he lets him go either after the first year or in the year.

I believe Tomlin embraced LaBeau and they used his 3-4 system and incorporated some 4-3 and 2 deep coverages into it. Tomlin was a young coach and I don't believe he was in a position to dictate.

A little bit different with Pioli if he brings in McDaniel. Tomlin was joining a staff already in tact. McDaniel would be starting anew, abeit with the advice of Pioli.

Archived