THE BROWNS BOARD

Will History Repeat Itself?

Chicopee John

Given the current state of affairs, I'd just as soon bring in Pioli ASAP. Part of me, however, would like to see the Browns organization create its own tradition, its own formula of success rather than to continually try to mimic the Patriots' orchestra without their conductor on board.

However.....................................let.s take a look at the Belichick tree to determine if there are any indications of changes that might be coming if Pioli is hired as expected.

Belichick had a mediocre arm in Kosar and chose to go with strong armed Vinnie.

Belichick had a pretty good arm in Bledsoe but chose, instead, to stay with rife armed Tom Brady and a vertical passing game.

Pioli has received great kudos in NE for selecting a no-name like Cassel who is now in position to make a ton of money. He kind of has the Pats over the barrel due to the unsettled nature of Brady's injury but it would be hard to envision the Pats putting the franchise tag on Cassel and paying him about $16M - a lot of money tied up in the QB position.

So, what are the chances that Pioli follows Belichick's road map and prefers a proven NFL QB with a strong arm and a vertical game rather than to stick with Quinn?

I bet that conversation has already taken place. I cannot see Lerner saying no IF - and it is only conjecture - that Pioli says he wants Cassel and prefers to stock pile draft picks by moving Quinn.

It seems like the Pats always have more picks than anybody on draft day. They have a history of letting certain players go - Branch as an example - and stock piling picks to be used effectively on draft day.

Any body against Pioli IF he decides to move Brady in favor of Cassel?

Who cares as long as we win, but I think he will come here and not move Brady just my hunch though!

bledsoe's arm was way, way stronger than tom brady's. belichick stayed with brady because he was winning. he's never had the strongest arm; he's accurate, makes good decisions and doesn't take sacks. that's why he's successful, not because he can launch the ball.

edit: NE can also franchise casssel, which they'll likely do, whether pioli leaves or not, and we don't really have the draft ammo necessary to trade for him and still have a viable draft.

I think if pioli does come to cleveland and brings mcdaniels they would prolly want to take a look at bq and DA but they need to get them a real qb coach..however if the new regime wants to move both bq and da and could bring cassel or equivilant in im all for it im a browns fan first before im a player fan...

This organization needs to be turned onto its ear and stomped from the very top down maybe romeo will comeback as a line coach or a coffee gofer?

edit: NE can also franchise casssel, which they'll likely do, whether pioli leaves or not, and we don't really have the draft ammo necessary to trade for him and still have a viable draft.

Good point. The Pats have always benefited by trades, etc. and Pioli understands the benefit of numbers come draft day.

Last year's 'draft' was simply horrible. Thanks Phil.

bledsoe's arm was way, way stronger than tom brady's. belichick stayed with brady because he was winning. he's never had the strongest arm; he's accurate, makes good decisions and doesn't take sacks. that's why he's successful, not because he can launch the ball.

Blesoe's arm was stronger than Brady's...?????????????ummmm what..

Did you see those last two throws in last years super bowl???....about 75 yards each...and on target...

Blesoe's arm was stronger than Brady's...?????????????ummmm what..

Did you see those last two throws in last years super bowl???....about 75 yards each...and on target...

Bledsoe had a cannon, what are you talking about?

I will say, people who claim Brady doesn't have a strong arm are way off. I've never understood where that fairy tale got started.

Bledsoe's arm was a rocket launcher in disguise

Tom Brady's arm, Peyton Mannings Arm, and Brady Quinns arm are all about the same

All three have strong arms (check Quinns scouting report, strong arm) quinn is not a dink and dunker as much as veryone would like to believe

Now tell me quinn can only dink and dunk

No. If that is the choice, then winning is more important than having BQ as our QB. If Pioli and Cassel are a package AND Cassel is the next football god AND that's the only way we get the next football god, then dump BQ for whatever we can get for him. i'm guessing a high to mid 1st round pick- if his finger is healed.

i doubt that those conditions exist, but if they did i can root for Cassel just as loud as BQ.

i love the Browns more than i love Brady Quinn. Nice question.

Archived